Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
MilesToEmpty

Default Strictly toolboxes: Extreme or Montezuma?

Well I have a 3 stack 27" Smooth Glide Craftsman box that I bought several years ago that I have filled up... This was my first toolbox, as Im now 24.

My fiance' has informed me that I need a new box, how I managed that I dont know, but this is something that I will listen to her about.

My father and I split the cost of a 42" Grip Latch Ball bearing Craftsman last year for his birthday, and the quality is 10 fold over what mine is.

But now that Im renting the house my parents and I use to live in, and they moved to WV, I inherited some tools from my dad... basically my 27" is busting, the 2 30" units he gave to me of his old tools are also completely full.

Id really like to consolidate, and Id buy myself a Craftsman unit like his, but Id like a 56" unit and everyone raves about strictlytoolboxes so Id like to try my luck with them.

Thing is, do I go with the Extreme or the Montezuma? The only difference I can tell is that one is 1" taller.

Extreme:
http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/ext...ool-chest.html

Montezuma:
http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/all...top-chest.html

Both are at the top of my price point, and seeing as I see this to be a future investment that I will keep until I for some odd reason need something else.

I really do wish I could get a color other then Black or what I would consider "Electric" Blue... Fiance says I should get Stainless, which I would if they sold it lol.

So Im looking for you opinions and what not... Why both boxes retail $2900 and are on sale for different prices is beyond me right now. And do forum members get a discount?

Thanks!
MilesToEmpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #2
toolmaker1

Default Re: Strictly toolboxes: Extreme or Montezuma?

extreme is on backorder till march, I would get the montezuma as it is available and cheaper. From the reviews around here it seems you can't go wrong with either
toolmaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-08-2012, 09:06 PM   #3
MilesToEmpty

The backorder isn't a big deal to me, I don't think I would purchase until March anyway.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
tbobbo
Banned

I went with the Montezuma. The drawer pulls are easy to get dirty, but I use mine in a pro shop so I dont have time to clean my hands whenever I need another tool. Other than that I think its the best deal on the market. When I called to order mine the said they thought the Montezuma was a touch better quality. Might be they didn't have the extreme in stock at the time, I don't know or care. For the price you won't find a box that size with the same quality. Believe me I looked long and hard. Only way would be to find a used truck brand box someone is giving away cause they need money. The strictly toolboxes guys are top notch as well. I dont know if the drawer pulls are any better on the extreme box or not, but if you like craftsmen you will love the Montezuma.
tbobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #5
larryq

Either box is fine, but you need to marry that woman!
larryq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
tbobbo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryq View Post
Either box is fine, but you need to marry that woman!
Ha! True true!
tbobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:44 PM   #7
MilesToEmpty

Well I already gave her a ring... so the marriage comes after we see what size toolbox I buy haha.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #8
Outlawmws

Well, she must be impressed with your tools!

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
thundacat

Both are pretty much identical in terms of function, I chose to go with the Extreme for the additional aluminum trim pieces and the shiny powdercoat. The only thing I wasn't a fan of was the massive "Extreme Tools" logo on the front but it wasn't anything a heatgun and some fishing line couldn't fix. The mdf top is pretty useless. For aesthetics as as well as function, I'd definitely recommend the stainless steel top or getting a piece of butcher block (what I did). The black/aluminum looks pretty kick ass with a nice rock maple top.
thundacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:33 AM   #10
NewShockerGuy

Arrow Re: Strictly toolboxes: Extreme or Montezuma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty View Post
Well I have a 3 stack 27" Smooth Glide Craftsman box that I bought several years ago that I have filled up... This was my first toolbox, as Im now 24.

My fiance' has informed me that I need a new box, how I managed that I dont know, but this is something that I will listen to her about.

My father and I split the cost of a 42" Grip Latch Ball bearing Craftsman last year for his birthday, and the quality is 10 fold over what mine is.

But now that Im renting the house my parents and I use to live in, and they moved to WV, I inherited some tools from my dad... basically my 27" is busting, the 2 30" units he gave to me of his old tools are also completely full.

Id really like to consolidate, and Id buy myself a Craftsman unit like his, but Id like a 56" unit and everyone raves about strictlytoolboxes so Id like to try my luck with them.

Thing is, do I go with the Extreme or the Montezuma? The only difference I can tell is that one is 1" taller.

Extreme:
http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/ext...ool-chest.html

Montezuma:
http://www.strictlytoolboxes.com/all...top-chest.html

Both are at the top of my price point, and seeing as I see this to be a future investment that I will keep until I for some odd reason need something else.

I really do wish I could get a color other then Black or what I would consider "Electric" Blue... Fiance says I should get Stainless, which I would if they sold it lol.

So Im looking for you opinions and what not... Why both boxes retail $2900 and are on sale for different prices is beyond me right now. And do forum members get a discount?

Thanks!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I'm in the SAME boat as you and actually plan on getting it around the same time as you..lol

From reading everything here I Can post what someone quoted about the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Originally Posted by larryq
was going to get the Montezuma but now getting the Extreme due to it being larger.

Touching on the OP's original question in the thread....Steve, did you ever find out what the differences in the Extreme vs Montezuma boxes were? I noticed the same price difference too for what --at least on the surface-- appeared to be minor issues.

You went with the Extreme in the end, so it must have had some features on it you liked. Just wondering what you learned about the differences between them, if you wanted to share. Thanks! :

+++++++++

My take on the differences is its mostly cosmetic - but when I 'm paying this much for a box and expect it to last the next 30 years for me that mattered.

No spot welds on the drawer fronts, Extreme's welds are on the side and there are gussets on the inside.

The drawer fronts are straight down on the Extreme - a little bevel out at the bottom from what I can tell from pictures on the Montezuma.

The gauge of the drawer fronts on the top box is heavier on the Extreme than the Montezuma.

The drawer pulls are solid aluminum on the Extreme vs an extension of the drawer front wrapped in aluminum on the Montezuma

A little higher gloss black on the Extreme.

From my research and talking with vendors - Both boxes are built in China - probably at the same plant and just built for different companies in the US.

Also found out the RXE Extreme is the same box as the Menards box - just a different color - black or blue vs green for the Menards boxes. it's not the box I got - but I did consider it - it's a good bit less expensive but a little less bling and lighter gauge metal in the drawers and sides and less drawers on top in exchange for the pull out work surface.

They are both great boxes I am sure - just spent another $160 to get the Extreme vs the same size combo from Montezuma for the cosmetic differences.

I got the box today, and pushing it off the pallet a little to mount the wheels worked great! No need to flip it on it's back. I did end up having a friend help me put the top box on instead of using the Cherry picker - let me just say though - Don't try this by hand without a few guys to help if your back isn't in good shape, its very heavy and a long lift. I used the plastic packing to cover the lower box sides at the top before we set it on there to make sure we didn't scratch anything up - then just lifted one end up and pulled that side's plastic out, then the same on the other side.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow - spent an hour or so moving some tools over from my old box to the new one tonight - i'm going to have to get some wrench holders to get it organized - my other ones are in the old box and adhesive back stuck to the drawer bottoms. Going to try to get some that are magnetic that will hold through the drawer liners.

Overall, very happy with the box and the service from Tool-Xpress - it's a nice piece and a good price. "

Personally I am going with the Extrememe because it's more sq inches of space. Even though its a little more money I feel the post above is enough to justify the cost since this isn't going to be replaced ANY time soon at all... I will probably have this 5+ years...etc.

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #11
MilesToEmpty

Nigel that was some great info.

Id like to point out that the Extreme comes in YELLOW now.... I can't wait to see that!
Old 03-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
global72

Send a message via Yahoo to global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesToEmpty View Post
Nigel that was some great info.

Id like to point out that the Extreme comes in YELLOW now.... I can't wait to see that!
I was just at Extremes place yesterday and snapped a few pictures of the yellow. We have just 3 yellow left and they are only available as sets.

www.StrictlyToolBoxes.com
888-289-1952
global72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #13
6-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundacat View Post
The mdf top is pretty useless. For aesthetics as as well as function, I'd definitely recommend the stainless steel top or getting a piece of butcher block (what I did). The black/aluminum looks pretty kick ass with a nice rock maple top.
I am considering the EX4119 41" box set. What is this MDF top you describe? I wasn't aware anything was made of MDF on the Extremes.
6-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 02:37 AM   #14
NewShockerGuy

Arrow Re: Strictly toolboxes: Extreme or Montezuma?

Quote:
Originally Posted by global72 View Post
I was just at Extremes place yesterday and snapped a few pictures of the yellow. We have just 3 yellow left and they are only available as sets.

Soooooooooooooooooooooo glad I am one of the lucky 3 to get yellow!!!

I'm dieing to get it, just sucks we haven't moved in yet... SOON THOUGH!!!

-Nigel
NewShockerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #15
flashman

Quote:
Originally Posted by global72 View Post

Which combo is it on your site?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
flashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM   #16
geologist

Yellow is very nice. Is it possible to order colors other than blue and black?
Old 04-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #17
global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenBiars View Post
Yellow is very nice. Is it possible to order colors other than blue and black?
Extreme brings in different colors in smaller quantities from time to time. It is not possible to just order one box in a custom color.

888-289-1952
Old 04-06-2012, 01:40 PM   #18
darkk

Have you looked at International boxes?
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
concealer404

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post

I'm in the SAME boat as you and actually plan on getting it around the same time as you..lol

From reading everything here I Can post what someone quoted about the two.

Personally I am going with the Extrememe because it's more sq inches of space. Even though its a little more money I feel the post above is enough to justify the cost since this isn't going to be replaced ANY time soon at all... I will probably have this 5+ years...etc.

-Nigel
Did i read this right? The Extreme 56" is the same as this? http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...435-c-9188.htm
concealer404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 01:45 PM   #20
global72

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
Have you looked at International boxes?
No we decided to stop carrying the International boxes a few years ago.

888-289-1952