Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2012, 08:33 AM   #21
Full Throttle

Default Re: School me on tube heaters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Amacker View Post
I'm not sold on the tube heater I have. It's a 125KBTU in a 32x32, mounted 11' up, and will blister the paint on a car parked under it. Be careful about how high up it is, I feel these should be higher up than 11'. I installed a 25K Reznor FA because of how hot it gets. On the plus side, it is a lot quieter than the FA.

Good Luck!
125kBTU in a 32x32, and you wonder why it's too hot?
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #22
mx500

ok, i put a timer on mine. one of those "kill a watt" devices. In the 9 hours that i was gone to work it ran for 3 hrs. propane is 2.75 a gallon here right now. so, at 92,000btu per gallon, im at about $1.50 per hour to run my 50,000 btu heater. after figuring this out, its only running when needed, and not when i feel like sitting out there and drinking a beer..hahah
this was at 42 degrees when it was around 20-30 outside.
Ill have to work on the averages, but for now its off, until the weekend.
mx500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #23
jjpp

So is it $36 for 24hr or $4.50 for the 3hr run time during the 9hr, sorry I am just to lazy to figure it out myself. $36 a day works out to be $1080 for 30 days and that might be what I spend in 2 1/2 months to heat my house. Even $12 a day adds up to $360 a month and that seems kind of high to maintain 42*.
jjpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:59 AM   #24
mustangcrazy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpp View Post
So is it $36 for 24hr or $4.50 for the 3hr run time during the 9hr, sorry I am just to lazy to figure it out myself. $36 a day works out to be $1080 for 30 days and that might be what I spend in 2 1/2 months to heat my house. Even $12 a day adds up to $360 a month and that seems kind of high to maintain 42*.
$360 seems quite high. I would expect it a tad higher with propane, but that is simply crazy. To put things in perspective, I had a garage that was ~ 1000 square foot (fully insulated). Heating that with an oversized, industrial 100k btu tube heater (running natural gas) to ~ 40-45 degrees through the michigan winter was ~ $50/month. This was including cranking things up to a balmy 55 degrees 3-4 nights a week to work on the toys.
mustangcrazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #25
jjpp

That sounds more realistic, might be a little more due to the higher propane costs but I can't see $360. I saw you used to live in Howell, I'm in Marion twp. Your missing a great winter, freezing rain this morning and 50* this afternoon.
jjpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM   #26
mustangcrazy77

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpp View Post
That sounds more realistic, might be a little more due to the higher propane costs but I can't see $360. I saw you used to live in Howell, I'm in Marion twp. Your missing a great winter, freezing rain this morning and 50* this afternoon.
Um...I wouldn't say I'm "missing" it lol. Was mid 70's here today and will be 77* and sunny tomorrow!
mustangcrazy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #27
mx500

1.37 for each hour that its running. I havent figured out the average yet, but it should be around 8 hours run time in 24 hour day. so around $11 per 24 hr. This if for a 32x50 finished and insulated pole barn that around 6 years old. I just bought the place, so its all new to me and im loving it. the heater is off until i go in there now. haha
Again, this is for propane, at 2.75 per gallon.
mx500 is offline   Reply With Quote