Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-27-2012, 07:51 AM   #1
DonIvey

Default Can You Replace 20amp Breaker with 30amp?

I have a Maxjax that requires 30amp breaker. My garage is fairly new, but has 20amp breakers for wall outlets. Can I just replace one with a 30amp breaker to use for the Maxjax? Thanks,

Don Ivey
Smithfield, NC
DonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #2
jxm7202

Default Re: Can You Replace 20amp Breaker with 30amp?

no you will overload the circuit.
jxm7202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #3
bww_mnm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonIvey View Post
I have a Maxjax that requires 30amp breaker. My garage is fairly new, but has 20amp breakers for wall outlets. Can I just replace one with a 30amp breaker to use for the Maxjax? Thanks,

Don Ivey
Smithfield, NC
No. Your wiring won't handle 30a. Potential fire hazzard.
bww_mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
djd99

Everybody will say no because code says you have the have #10 wire for a 30 Amp breaker. I will say this I've been doing it for my air compressor and don't have any issues it's just not code.
I still won't recommend it for that reason but I will continue to do it as I cant rerun a #10 wire. My compressor will not run on a 20 amp circuit without tripping the breaker on startup so I threw in a 30 and haven't had a problem since. Don
Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
raddksn

this is the drawback of romex you cant just pullout the #12,s and pullin the #10,s you need 2 #10,s and a #12 ground for 30 amp
raddksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
plinker

For code, you will need to run 10ga or bigger wiring for the 30A breaker.
I would run 8ga wire myself.

Quote:
Everybody will say no because code says you have the have #10 wire for a 30 Amp breaker. I will say this I've been doing it for my air compressor and don't have any issues it's just not code.
I still won't recommend it for that reason but I will continue to do it as I cant rerun a #10 wire. My compressor will not run on a 20 amp circuit without tripping the breaker on startup so I threw in a 30 and haven't had a problem since. Don
I dont know how many amps a lift pull's, but your compressor wont likely overload the circut as bad, I think.

For hand tool warranty info, see link
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=38749
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
dirttracker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd99 View Post
Very different for a compressor that sees a spike in amps when it turns on then likely levels out at something much lower. If your compressor is suppose to run on 20 amps (does it have a 20 amp plug on it? Rating on compressor?) and trips the breaker you have a problem and should get it fixed.

A heater on the other hand will see a continious pull of higher amps. Code is there to protect you not to be some kind of a hassel. Do it right and sleep well at night.

Simple answer is no, you are asking for a fire in your wall.

Run an external line (correctly sized and shielded if not in conduit) out of your panel to an new appropriate outlet directly below. Short and sweet and within code.

Perhaps an electrician can chime in here (or place this in electrical as well) and let us know if you can run it right next to your panel and how short it can be.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com

Last edited by dirttracker18; 02-27-2012 at 08:20 AM.
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #8
DonIvey

Thanks for all the replys. I think the external line in conduit will suffice, and I'll feel safer when using it. Thanks again,

Don
DonIvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM   #9
Iroc-Z

I wouldn't do it. But hey its not my garage.
Iroc-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #10
Iroc-Z

Quote:
Thanks for all the replys. I think the external line in conduit will suffice, and I'll feel safer when using it. Thanks again,

Don
This is a great idea.
Iroc-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #11

ever look at how a lightbulb works? imagine that as your wires in your wall....... covered with a nice melt-able plastic.....
1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #12
FreddiFiche

Quote:
Originally Posted by djd99 View Post
It's your garage.....but something to consider;

If you do have a fire (we all hope not!), whether this is the cause or not, your just setting yourself up for a fight with the insurance company. They are very good at the miss-direct, delay, 'find any reason to delay/reduce the payout.' If they bring in a fire investigator, one of the first things they do is run down the breakers, looking at sizing and wire tied to it. (And this doesn't have to be a 'total loss' fire either....)

Not trying to be preachy, just really don't want you to end up on the short end of the stick if something bad does happen. Any way to add a new run? (Even surface mount?)

Good luck.

Freddi
FreddiFiche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
cw_racefan

Quote:

Don Ivey
Smithfield, NC
On top of what everyone else has said, I questioned this when I first got my MaxJax, because they were inconsistent with what they said for ratings. Mine was an early one, so they may have changed, but the unit itself does not have a 30 amp plug on it. I called them and they said a 20 amp circuit would be fine. Been using mine for three years now and never had an issue on a 20 amp circuit (dedicated circuit).

Craig

Last edited by cw_racefan; 02-27-2012 at 09:13 AM.
cw_racefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM   #14
djd99

[QUOTE=dirttracker18;2131628]Very different for a compressor that sees a spike in amps when it turns on then likely levels out at something much lower. If your compressor is suppose to run on 20 amps (does it have a 20 amp plug on it? Rating on compressor?) and trips the breaker you have a problem and should get it fixed.

I have a 5hp farm duty that needs around 30 amps on startup

Quote:

Don
Probably they best solution is to run a new line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddiFiche View Post
It's your garage.....but something to consider;

If you do have a fire (we all hope not!), whether this is the cause or not, your just setting yourself up for a fight with the insurance company. They are very good at the miss-direct, delay, 'find any reason to delay/reduce the payout.' If they bring in a fire investigator, one of the first things they do is run down the breakers, looking at sizing and wire tied to it. (And this doesn't have to be a 'total loss' fire either....)

Not trying to be preachy, just really don't want you to end up on the short end of the stick if something bad does happen. Any way to add a new run? (Even surface mount?)

Good luck.

Freddi
thanks freddi but Id be screwed anyway as my garage is not insured......
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #15
Viriiguy

Are you supposed to? no. However in my current rental.. The dryer was on a 20 amp breaker. It kept kicking it. two years ago I yanked it and put a 30 amp in it.

Never had an issue since.. And I have checked, the wires are not hot under load.

With that said... YMMV. Fishing a new wire is not that hard.
Viriiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #16
nmk_61802

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw_racefan View Post
On top of what everyone else has said, I questioned this when I first got my MaxJax, because they were inconsistent with what they said for ratings. Mine was an early one, so they may have changed, but the unit itself does not have a 30 amp plug on it. I called them and they said a 20 amp circuit would be fine. Been using mine for three years now and never had an issue on a 20 amp circuit (dedicated circuit).

Craig
I'll add this:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...maxjax+breaker
nmk_61802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:16 AM   #17
mikeyr

I run my MaxJax on a 20amp circuit, not popped the breaker yet.

I would not change the breaker without changing the wires but I would try your MaxJax on the 20 and I bet it works, just like mine.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:20 AM   #18
dirttracker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr View Post
I run my MaxJax on a 20amp circuit, not popped the breaker yet.

I would not change the breaker without changing the wires but I would try your MaxJax on the 20 and I bet it works, just like mine.
Wrong thread, he is talking about a heater here.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #19
MoonRise

Can you? Sure.

Should you? Different question and the answer is "It depends".

But in general the answer is "No, do not go and put a 30 amp breaker in place of a 20 amp breaker because the wiring is most likely 'sized' for the 20 amp load and -may- overheat if a 30 amp load is used with wiring sized for a 20 amp load."

Some (limited) exceptions may exist for things where "duty cycle" come into play.

But in general, for some "outlets" wired up on a 20 amp circuit breaker then the answer is almost always "No, don't replace the existing 20 amp breaker with a 30 amp breaker".
MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 11:29 AM   #20
nmk_61802

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirttracker18 View Post
Wrong thread, he is talking about a heater here.
Seems to me like he is asking about a Maxjax like everyone else believes

Quote:

Don Ivey
Smithfield, NC
nmk_61802 is offline   Reply With Quote