Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-29-2012, 10:31 PM   #1
redmethods

Default 2 car Tandem garage

The wife & I am looking to build a new House this spring. Since this will be our 2nd house we build. This time I want a tipple car garage, but we don't have the land for it.
So we found a builder that will do an over size double tandem garage.

This is a ruff drawing of what I want.

As you can see on the left I want to put a lift.

What do you guys think?
Do any of you guys have a garage like this? If so do you like the layout & would you change anything?

Last edited by redmethods; 02-29-2012 at 10:42 PM.
redmethods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:11 AM   #2
admranger

Default Re: 2 car Tandem garage

Can you put the lift in the back section and maybe make it a bit wider back there? Other wise you've got to raise the car on the lift up to get the other one out should you need to. Why screw with that? Put the project car in the back. FWIW, I have a lift in my garage.
admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-01-2012, 01:03 AM   #3
redmethods

^^^
With the garage attach to the house, I don't think that section will be high enough. But If that area can be high enough, I will.

I think It still would be good there, as if garage queen (supra) isn't on the lift or I need to fix something on another car. I can just put the supra up in the front.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #4
redmethods

We get the first plans of the new house on Friday. I have to wait and see what that brings.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:01 AM   #5
GarageWrench

I bought a new house last summer and my garage is identical to that drawing. I'm also planning on getting a maxjax installed on the left front just like you have proposed. I'll have to go snap a pic and post it up in the next couple days.

So far I'm happy with it, it is smaller than my last one, but once I'm finished and get most of the stuff off the floor, I think it will be the perfect size for all sorts of projects. Btw mine is just over 600 sqft.
GarageWrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:35 AM   #6
Bill Crowell
Banned

Red, you really need to learn to write and spell. Reading your post made my brain hurt!
Bill Crowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #7
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Crowell View Post
Red, you really need to learn to write and spell. Reading your post made my brain hurt!
A little harsh don't you think? He misspelled two words that I see, ruff/rough, and tipple/triple.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #8
sr4440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles (in GA) View Post
A little harsh don't you think? He misspelled two words that I see, ruff/rough, and tipple/triple.

Charles
X2

Joe
sr4440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #9
little d

"Can you put the lift in the back section and maybe make it a bit wider back there? Other wise you've got to raise the car on the lift up to get the other one out should you need to. Why screw with that? Put the project car in the back. FWIW, I have a lift in my garage."

Or ya could put the lift on the right.
little d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
LutzTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by little d View Post
"Can you put the lift in the back section and maybe make it a bit wider back there? Other wise you've got to raise the car on the lift up to get the other one out should you need to. Why screw with that? Put the project car in the back. FWIW, I have a lift in my garage."

Or ya could put the lift on the right.
2nd putting the lift on the right or in the back, drving over it through it or what ever everytime would be a pain
LutzTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #11
joe57

I have the same layout, only reversed and a bit narrower (24' wide).

My word of warning is it will be a lot smaller once you see it in person and start putting workbenches and shelves in there. I don't store a 3rd car in mine, but I couldn't imagine doing any real work to a car in that 3rd bay.

With that said, I LOVE having the extra bay. I like being able to park both cars inside and still have a ton of room to do other projects.
joe57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 02:34 PM   #12
GarageWrench

The reason I'm putting a maxjax in the left front on mine is because my back "shop" is only 11x15 so with a small car there wouldn't be much room to work around it if it was in the back, plus I need to put my suv on it.
Then you have to consider pulling an engine would be impossible with it in the back shop because there wouldn't be enough clearance up front. Also workbenches and other items would need to go in the two car space and limit parking.
The way I'm going to set it up will let me work on the maxjax when needed, then store the posts to the side and still fit two cars in the front.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #13
bazzateer

Seems to me that the 'back' section isn't really big enough for a full-size European car let alone a Yank Tank. I'd try to make it triple width at the front and keep the back section for the workshop area. That's assuming you can go wider by 10-12'?

Would also help to see it in the context of the overall plot alongside the house and neighbours etc.

My garage story: http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50588

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbott View Post
I think the cop made a good decision.
bazzateer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
redmethods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzateer View Post
Seems to me that the 'back' section isn't really big enough for a full-size European car let alone a Yank Tank. I'd try to make it triple width at the front and keep the back section for the workshop area. That's assuming you can go wider by 10-12'?

Would also help to see it in the context of the overall plot alongside the house and neighbours etc.

That's the thing, with my pocket sizes the best I can go is around 26ft wide & with the single garage place. It will eat in to the house if I go wider.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
larry_g

For me that would be a 2 car garage with a 12x12 workshop on the end of one bay. No way would I consider that a 3 car as once you get it full of 'good stuff' you will be lucky to have one rig in there. So the question you have to answer,"Are you a hoarder or a minimilist?" Be honest as to how much family stuff has to be stored and where. Do you have an attic or basement in the house?

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #16
redmethods

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
For me that would be a 2 car garage with a 12x12 workshop on the end of one bay. No way would I consider that a 3 car as once you get it full of 'good stuff' you will be lucky to have one rig in there. So the question you have to answer,"Are you a hoarder or a minimilist?" Be honest as to how much family stuff has to be stored and where. Do you have an attic or basement in the house?

lg
no neat sig line
Basement & the only shit that goes into the garage is car stuff. But I get what you're saying. As I was think that the single area would be for a cabinets & a car.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #17
ST3s

I've got a three car tandem garage with a 12' ceiling. I am also considering a lift - primarily for storage. However, If the lift was in a front stall, I would not be able to raise the garage door. Also have the door guides to consider.
ST3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:23 PM   #18
admranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageWrench View Post
Then you have to consider pulling an engine would be impossible with it in the back shop because there wouldn't be enough clearance up front.
Well, unless you back the car in...

I don't think my lift cares which way the car is on it, but my lift is symmetrical...
admranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #19
GarageWrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Well, unless you back the car in...

I don't think my lift cares which way the car is on it, but my lift is symmetrical...
That is true, I could back it in, but I would still only have about 1 foot clearance on either side which wouldn't let me do any type of brake/tire/suspension work.

Also even though I would clear up the front two spots I would then have to take up one side with equipment and my workbench so still only two cars would fit.

I think thats why this is known as a two car tandem, and the back space is meant to be more of a shop/storage space. I definitely wish mine was like 5 feet wider though.
Old 03-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #20
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

That back area is 12x12,not big enough for an actual automobile. It would make a nice area to work in. How about positioning the lift so the front of vehicle would be in that area. The posts for the lift would be about in the inside corner of the garage. When you park on the left side, the front of the car maybe right up to the post but it'd be normal as far as parking goes.

Do you have 3 cars or do you just want a triple garage ?

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote