Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:06 PM   #41
greaseyjockey

Default Re: Variable Valve timing

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmach View Post
hmmm, the valves look the same but the heads i remember didn't have a mechanical drive on them. they were spun by some sort of electric motor
Old 03-02-2012, 09:55 PM   #42
Jaguar Fan

Location: Park City for Ski Season; Las Vegas for Poker Season

Every now and then, when I'm interested in a technology that isn't quite ready for prime time, I search with Google Patents. http://www.google.com/advanced_patent_search

Try searching for phrases of interest such as "camless engine" or "variable valve timing" or the like.

"A woman drove me to drink & I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-03-2012, 11:26 AM   #43
Even Steven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxTrot View Post
Put me in the camp of NOT wanting this type of technology. I've never had a traditional cam "fail" on any car I've ever owned, and the advantage of this type of technology would only be at the bleeding edges of performance.
I heard the same thing from people when fuel injection started replacing carbs.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:49 PM   #44
wafrederick

454 Chevys are known for going through camshafts.My father's friend Tim's 1972 El Camino SS with the 454 did this 3 times and fixed it converting to a roller cam set up.Cummins did test a camless engine,was not perfected yet.
Old 03-03-2012, 04:44 PM   #45
mpire

Well, F1 uses air pressure to open and close the valves. No camshafts.

Also, BMW's valvetronic uses the valves to regulate how much air gooes into the cylinder. So they can eliminate the throttle body bottleneck..
Old 03-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #46
Moose-LandTran

Send a message via AIM to Moose-LandTran Send a message via MSN to Moose-LandTran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafrederick View Post
454 Chevys are known for going through camshafts.My father's friend Tim's 1972 El Camino SS with the 454 did this 3 times and fixed it converting to a roller cam set up.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #47
checkthisout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscott View Post
OK, so I had a thought the other day, my wife tells me this is dangerous so I try no to do it too often. Why do we use cam shafts in modern engines? Why not just actuate the intake and exhaust valves via some other means, air, hydraulic or most likely electrical? Has this been done?

Even cars that are advertised as having variable valve timing are still just shifting the timing of the can shaft, they cannot effect duration or lift at all just opening time. It would seem the ideal solution would be a completely cam free engine to allow a computer controlled valve to open the right amount and duration to optimize performance. Just imagine, no more trading high end horsepower for low end torque. Just tell the computer what you want and hit the loud pedal?

Am I crazy, has it been done, what say you?

Tom

There is no cost-benefit to doing so. Engines have reached the point of extremely diminishing returns in regards to efficiency. The cost of such systems outweighs the limited fuel economy and power benefit they would provide.

And a puny little engine can only have so much torque no matter how it's cammed.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:04 PM   #48
regguy1

Anyone remember the Cadillac "V8-6-4" it was dropped in short order
Old 03-03-2012, 05:14 PM   #49
speed bump

ME today had an article about a company a while ago that came up with the appropriate pneumatic valve design to do this.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:16 PM   #50
Even Steven
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by checkthisout View Post
There is no cost-benefit to doing so. Engines have reached the point of extremely diminishing returns in regards to efficiency. The cost of such systems outweighs the limited fuel economy and power benefit they would provide.

And a puny little engine can only have so much torque no matter how it's cammed.
Wow. You're clueless in multiple threads.

Engines are getting more and more efficient all the time. They have to be in order to keep up with CAFE regulations. Probably the biggest thing lately is GDI technology. We're starting to see it even on mainstream engines in low-cost cars now. Pretty soon, port injection will go the way of carburetors and distributors.

And BTW, lots of small engines make fantastic torque with the addition of a small turbocharger. Just ask an Audi owner. Great torque and great efficiency.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #51
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by regguy1 View Post
Anyone remember the Cadillac "V8-6-4" it was dropped in short order
And auto manufacturers are now building similar engines that work just fine - technology has come a long ways since then.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:46 PM   #52
dirttracker18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoFoxTrot View Post
Yea, if only GM adapted camless engines, I'm sure they'd NEVER have any issues with it.
I never said they wouldn't.

Just pointing out the fact that there have been specific cam issues contrary to your personal experience. And poking a little fun at GM.

Sorry if I was to subtle for you.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
Old 03-05-2012, 02:17 PM   #53
Bruce Lancaster

I think this will rapidly become more important as we slowly and dimly figure out that we are using a hell of a lot of oil and selling our souls to unpleasant folks in the middle east to get it.
One way or another oil prices are going to keep going up and most people are going to eventually be heading out of the Suburban and into something with a small engine, and getting a super wide usable range out of a tiny engine is going to require fully variable valve timing...

Plomb is the new Snap On.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #54
Dickey

Would be interesting to have a 1.8L engine that produces 80hp at 3k rpm for 45-55mpg cruising and 400hp at 13k for when you want to be somewhere in a hurry. You could run a quarter mile in first gear and stop to pick up groceries on the way home.

Thoughts on whether or not the 5252 cross over would still exist?
Old 03-05-2012, 02:42 PM   #55
checkthisout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Even Steven View Post

Engines are getting more and more efficient all the time. They have to be in order to keep up with CAFE regulations. Probably the biggest thing lately is GDI technology. We're starting to see it even on mainstream engines in low-cost cars now. Pretty soon, port injection will go the way of carburetors and distributors.

And BTW, lots of small engines make fantastic torque with the addition of a small turbocharger. Just ask an Audi owner. Great torque and great efficiency.
The engines aren't getting more efficient, the chassis are becoming more efficient along with more efficient transmission/driveline/accessory operation.

Engines have actually seen a reduction in efficiency due to increased reductions in Nox. That's why manufacturers have to result to all sorts of "tricks" (like cylinder cancellation) in order to make the engines more efficient.

(cylinder cancellation essentially makes the engine smaller)

Turbochargers, variable valve timing etc all add considerable cost to the engine for very little efficiency benefit to the end user.

Last edited by checkthisout; 03-05-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:45 PM   #56
checkthisout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Lancaster View Post
I think this will rapidly become more important as we slowly and dimly figure out that we are using a hell of a lot of oil and selling our souls to unpleasant folks in the middle east to get it.
One way or another oil prices are going to keep going up and most people are going to eventually be heading out of the Suburban and into something with a small engine, and getting a super wide usable range out of a tiny engine is going to require fully variable valve timing...
It's more beneficial to go to a hybrid type setup which allows you to both recover braking energy, and run the engine at a more constant and thus more efficient speed and load.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM   #57
Dickey

Quote:
Turbochargers, variable valve timing etc all add considerable cost to the engine for very little efficiency benefit to the end user.

I agree with a lot of what you've written but I do not think this is a true statement.

For instance, a turbocharger can increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine by over 100 percent without much hassle at all.

edit - rude not to give real world examples:
GM's ecotec engine (the good one), is a 2L 4 cylinder engine that produces 260ft/lbs of torque from 2500rpm (more than 200ft/lbs from 2k) all the way to 5300rpm. It routinely gets 35mpg when not being horsed. That's a pretty significant increase in efficiency from a 2L n/a motor without direct injection and VVT cam phasing unless you were driving at some other meaning for the word.

Last edited by Dickey; 03-05-2012 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
checkthisout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
I agree with a lot of what you've written but I do not think this is a true statement.

For instance, a turbocharger can increase the volumetric efficiency of an engine by over 100 percent without much hassle at all.

edit - rude not to give real world examples:
GM's ecotec engine (the good one), is a 2L 4 cylinder engine that produces 260ft/lbs of torque from 2500rpm (more than 200ft/lbs from 2k) all the way to 5300rpm. It routinely gets 35mpg when not being horsed. That's a pretty significant increase in efficiency from a 2L n/a motor without direct injection and VVT cam phasing unless you were driving at some other meaning for the word.
I was leaning more towards fuel economy rather than horspower.

What other engines are available in the car and what sort of fuel economy do they get and how much do they cost?
Old 03-05-2012, 03:32 PM   #59
Dickey

Quote:
I was leaning more towards fuel economy rather than horspower.

What other engines are available in the car and what sort of fuel economy do they get and how much do they cost?

10 years ago there were no 260hp engines that managed 35mpg. Certainly not with a 100 thousand mile warranty as well.

//also I was mistaken somewhat, the aforementioned engine also came from the dealership with a 290hp "dealer update" option - not surprising considering that owners were able to dial that motor well past 300hp/350tq with little more than a cat back exhaust and some computer updates.

The only other engine that I'm aware of for the Solstice and Sky was a 2.4L ecotec that managed 28-31mpg and produced 177hp and 170tq. It was not a direct injection motor nor did it possess a turbocharger.

edit - that 2.4 motor was only rated at 25mpg, though I recall some friends of mine reporting closer to 30 - my bad for any confusion this might have caused. The Saturn Sky's msrp was between 27.5k and 33k. The Redline came with a lot of other options in addition to the engine that the base trim package did not offer. I think it would be safe to argue that there was a 15-17 percent increase in cost (5k) for the hot motor. Not only did it enjoy a 20 percent increase in fuel economy, it also made 46% more power with an engine package that was physically identical save for the added turbo charger and requisite plumbing that entails.

Last edited by Dickey; 03-05-2012 at 03:48 PM. Reason: left out information
Old 03-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #60
Stuart in MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
Thoughts on whether or not the 5252 cross over would still exist?
By definition, torque in ft-lbs = (Hp x 5250)/RPM, so the two values will always equal each other at that speed.
Closed Thread