Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Heating and A/C

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
Dick in Wisconsin

Default Practical to put infloor heating in part of the garage?

Greetings! This is the first thread I've started. Found this site and forum yesterday. Very educational.

I have a friend (really I do) who originally built his "barn" for his sail boat. 30x42x 14 or 15 or 16 (really high). He is done sailing and is now road racing with us. The place is pretty cold in the winter. He wishes he had originally put in-floor heating in, but to retrofit that would entail tearing up the entire floor (or so we thought). After reading some of the posts about radiated heat (from the infloor heat) vs convective head (from a forced air system), since he uses only part of the barn to work on the race cars (rest is storage and junk), I'm wondering if it would make sense to tear up the floor where he works on the car (say the front half), and put in-floor heating in just that section.

The heat from the floor would keep the car and tools warm, floor would be warm to walk on and roll around on a creeper, etc.

Does this make sense? Anyone have experience with this? Thanks!
20x22 attached garage (Sears opener w/40w lite, one 75w ceiling lite on pull chain, no heat no running water no TV no AC, one GFCI outlet on main bath circuit in a lousy location), added 8 outlet (4 in each location w/GFCI), 10x20 detached garage (one outlet in wrong location & 75w ceiling light on pull chain), looking to build bigger garage.
#90 Heilig-Meyers Ford Taurus-1996 Suburban 1500-24' enclosed trailer-lots of tools
Wears sound warnings like a badge of honor
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
slacker garage shop

Default Re: Practical to put infloor heating in part of the garage?

Just a thought and i have 0 experience with it but what about laying the tube over the existing floor and then pouring 2" concrete over it? That's how they do residential on a wood main floor. Might work In a shop. I've thought about doing it here but my ceiling height is already only 7'2" and i don't want to loose more head room.
slacker garage shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-04-2012, 04:19 PM   #3
BadgerBoilerMN

There is more than one way to skin a cat.

You will want to insulate the slab whether you install new or cap the old.

The logical alternative is a radiant tube heater.

We design and install them both.

http://www.badgerboilerservice.com/infrared.html
BadgerBoilerMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
tdkkart

You'd have to REALLY want in floor heat, or have an already crappy floor to be able to justify the cost of ripping out a good slab just for heat.

IMO, based on what I've seen as the results of insulating a slab, I absolutely WOULD NOT do it without some serious effort to insulate not only under, but around the new slab, which precludes doing a pour-over IMO.

Disclaimer: What I say is based on my knowledge and experience only. It's entirely possible I'm full of shit. You've been warned!!
tdkkart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:36 PM   #5
Galaxie

I'd imagine the cost and hassle of the tear out then the insulation and new slab would take a very long time to break even compared to just running some kind of radiant or forced air heat.
Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
BadgerBoilerMN

We rip up existing slabs, insulate, radiate and pour new slabs (at least one per month). It is a matter of priorities and budgets. No one has ever asks us to take a radiant floor heating system out.

TDK is right about perimeter insulation.
BadgerBoilerMN is offline   Reply With Quote