Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
goodfellow

Default EASCO Ratchet

Today was a sad day. After replacing brakes and shocks on my '95 Rodeo I noticed that my trusty old EASCO flex head ratchet was starting to skip in the counterclockwise direction. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it, but no amount of lube would remedy the situation. It's obvioulsy ready for a rebuild.

This ratchet is 25 years old and it's the best darn rachet design I've ever used. Silky smooth, has a nice feel, matt-finish, and made in USA

BTW-I just bought the Craftsman chrome offset flex head ratchet (see pic) and it's a POS compared to the feel of this old tool.

Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for EASCO ratchets, or better yet, whether they are still being warrented.

I'll get a pic and model number when I get back home this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PICT0052-400.jpg (15.0 KB, 510 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0053-400.jpg (11.8 KB, 387 views)
File Type: jpg PICT0054-400.jpg (15.1 KB, 345 views)
goodfellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:42 PM   #2
Blacknwhitepit

Default Re: EASCO Ratchet

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodfellow View Post
Today was a sad day. After replacing brakes and shocks on my '95 Rodeo I noticed that my trusty old EASCO flex head ratchet was starting to skip in the counterclockwise direction. I took it apart, cleaned and lubed it, but no amount of lube would remedy the situation. It's obvioulsy ready for a rebuild.

This ratchet is 25 years old and it's the best darn rachet design I've ever used. Silky smooth, has a nice feel, matt-finish, and made in USA

BTW-I just bought the Craftsman chrome offset flex head ratchet (see pic) and it's a POS compared to the feel of this old tool.

Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit for EASCO ratchets, or better yet, whether they are still being warrented.

I'll get a pic and model number when I get back home this evening.
I know what you mean about the old Easco Ratchet. I have lauded my love of the Easco ratchet on this board before. (MY PROPS to Easco Post) I have one of that vintage and it is the Smoothest ratchet I have ever worked with; I don't know how to describe it, but it damm near glides when you ratchet it. I have never felt another ratchet like it. It is old and is not pretty or shiney, but Damm, it is an Awesome Ratchet.

Wish you luck finding the rebuild kit.

-BWP

Last edited by Blacknwhitepit; 01-04-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Blacknwhitepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
MAD

The Easco name is owned by the Danaher Tool group. I would contact them about getting a kit.

If the Easco ratchet has a double paw mechanism it may be nearly the same as this Craftsman:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...sName=Ratchets

These are very smooth ratchets. Most Sears stores do not carry them though.
MAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
Merkava_4
Banned

I've checked all the Danaher sites and nothing comes close to that except a KD flex-head with a quick release; and I don't think you want a quick release.

Give me the EASCO part number and I'll email Danaher and ask them if there's a kit available for it.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #5
krusty the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkava_4 View Post
I've checked all the Danaher sites and nothing comes close to that except a KD flex-head with a quick release; and I don't think you want a quick release.

Give me the EASCO part number and I'll email Danaher and ask them if there's a kit available for it.

my guess is it'll be the same as the sears that mad posted since easco was the manufacturer of craftsman and kd along with others.

DEGENERATE Main Entry: 1de∑gen∑er∑ate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈjen-rət, -ˈje-nə-, dē-\

Date: 15th century
1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 07:23 PM   #6
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by krusty the clown View Post
my guess is it'll be the same as the sears that mad posted since easco was the manufacturer of craftsman and kd along with others.
That Craftsman ratchet doesn't even come close to the quality of that old EASCO. I'll tell you what I'd do: if Danaher didn't have a kit available, I'd make them replace it with an Armstrong; that's the only ratchet of Danaher that will be of descent quality.
Old 01-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr

From the looks of that ratchet head I would bet a SK kit would work.
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
krusty the clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchr View Post
From the looks of that ratchet head I would bet a SK kit would work.
i would doubt it but i havn't seen it in person.

DEGENERATE Main Entry: 1de∑gen∑er∑ate
Pronunciation: \di-ˈjen-rət, -ˈje-nə-, dē-\

Date: 15th century
1 a : having declined or become less specialized (as in nature, character, structure, or function) from an ancestral or former state b : having sunk to a condition below that which is normal to a type; especially : having sunk to a lower and usually corrupt and vicious state c : degraded 2
krusty the clown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2008, 09:38 PM   #9
goodfellow

Quote:

Thanks to all you guys for helping shed some light on this.

Thanks Merkava_4 for taking the time on this.

The part number is 721412

It's silly I know, I have several other 3/8" drive ratchets (Craftsman, Snap-on, MATCO, MAC, and SK), but none of those compare to the smooth action of this old EASCO. I keep checking around hoping to find another, but they are scarce.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:46 PM   #10
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
No problem, I'll get right on it.

It is the weekend and those big outfits don't work on the weekends; so I may not have an answer for you until early next week.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:10 PM   #11
GT crew

Quote:
Danaher...descent quality.
Unintentional I'm sure, but funny as hell in a sad sort of way.
Old 01-04-2008, 10:40 PM   #12
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

I fyou cannot find a rebuild kit for your ratchet, you may want to give these guys a call:

REB Enterprises
3155 Richfield Rd
Flint, MI 48506
(810) 736-1772

They are a small, family owned mom-and-pop type of tool store and they have a lot of new old stock stuff (Easco, KD, SK, etc....). I'd be willing to bet that Jason has one of those kits laying around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose-LandTran View Post
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
eschoendorff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 02:55 AM   #13
MAD

Quote:
That Craftsman ratchet doesn't even come close to the quality of that old EASCO. I'll tell you what I'd do: if Danaher didn't have a kit available, I'd make them replace it with an Armstrong; that's the only ratchet of Danaher that will be of descent quality.
I do not own either the EASCO or the double paw fine tooth Craftsman ratchet so I am not 100% certain, but I have used both and I do believe their product line overlapped. Do not confuse the double paw Craftsman fine tooth ratchet with the round head Craftsman ratchets that they stock in the stores. The double paw fine tooth ones are very smooth, strong, durable ratchets. Knowing Sears, they will discontinue them altogether soon. These should also be the same as the KD double paw round head ratchets with the quick release. Here are a couple of pictures of an Easco ratchet. Notice the selector on this Easco is the same as the Craftsman. I think the Easco one that a coworker had was like these but were like goodfellow's selector without a quick release. It has been a while since I have played with either ratchet so again I am not 100% certain. In any case, those Craftsman double paw round head fine tooth ratchets are (or at least were) nice ratchets. It is just so typical Sears for them to be rarer than hen's teeth.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easco1.JPG (14.3 KB, 234 views)
File Type: jpg easco2.JPG (13.7 KB, 193 views)

Last edited by MAD; 01-05-2008 at 03:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:25 AM   #14
Merkava_4
Banned

I can't understand why Sears is still specifying those raised panel wrenches; those are the most uncomfortable to use. What they should do instead is offer a non-polished version of their pro wrenches.
Old 01-05-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
MAD

Quote:
Thanks to all you guys for helping shed some light on this.

The part number is 721412

It's silly I know, I have several other 3/8" drive ratchets (Craftsman, Snap-on, MATCO, MAC, and SK), but none of those compare to the smooth action of this old EASCO. I keep checking around hoping to find another, but they are scarce.
The part number (721413) for the KD version of the double paw fine tooth ratchet is almost the same as goodfellow's Easco (721412). I believe the tooth #/arc swing info in the KD description is wrong though. If you look at the non-flex version it has the right info. They list a repair kit on the KD site. I don't know if the quick release is a problem though. It would depend on what parts it includes.

http://www.kd-tools.com/721413.htm

http://www.kd-tools.com/721109.htm
Old 01-05-2008, 07:01 AM   #16
GT crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD View Post
Do not confuse the double paw Craftsman fine tooth ratchet with the round head Craftsman ratchets that they stock in the stores. The double paw fine tooth ones are very smooth, strong, durable ratchets. Knowing Sears, they will discontinue them altogether soon...In any case, those Craftsman double paw round head fine tooth ratchets are (or at least were) nice ratchets. It is just so typical Sears for them to be rarer than hen's teeth.
Seconded. It was the strength and reliability of those ratchets (43187-1/4 regular, 43781-3/8 regular, 42794-3/8 long flex, 44977-1/2 regular, 44983-1/2 long flex) that sold me on the quality of Craftsman. Since they have always been available exclusively through the catalog, they never really saw widespread usage. The last ones I ordered from Sears were still VV series (2001), so it may be NOS from earlier production runs by EASCO. (I think they made ratchets for Craftsman at one time but am not sure.) Until my tools followed someone else home, those were my go to ratchets. How the mighty have fallen with the polished 'professional' line being so poorly executed. I doubt any of their recent offerings will ever last 25 years in the field as the round head fine ratchets did.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:18 PM   #17
Uncle Buck
Banned

If you go to sears and get a copy of the tool catalog then turn to the ratchets and pay very close attention you will see that you can still get an exact duplicate of that ratchet, but only as a catalog order, never ever in the stores! Until recent years this was the sears best ratchet going back into the 1970's when I got mine at least! BTW, I have that ratchet in the three popular drive sizes and have never had one take a dump on me. So yes you can get the exact same model today if you pay close attention and follow my directions!
Uncle Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 11:49 PM   #18
Coach James

That C-man fine tooth ratchet really is an A+ ratchet. It's beyond me why they do not have them in the stores as I would bet my house that they would sell in enough quantity to justify the shelf space. Sears should remove the cheapo round head C-man ratchets from the shelf and put the fine tooth in its place. A buddy of mine bought one of these, because he was too cheap to buy the raised panel ratchet(Hard to believeI know).

That ratchet was 100% pure junk. They make the raised panels look like Snap On.

Coach
Coach James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:23 AM   #19
Merkava_4
Banned

I don't know if anyone is interested, but apparently Danaher acquired EASCO in 1990:

New York Times
Old 01-06-2008, 11:43 AM   #20
goodfellow

RANT:

It's "kinda" sad, anytime a large conglomerate buys a specialty manufacturer, the quality suffers. I guess Danaher is a holding company and they will market to the lowest common denominator -- make it cheap and "good enough" for increasing market share.

I guess that when white collar guys, who don't know the business take over, market share and return on investment become the drivers and the original culture of the the company just goes in the toilet.

I just looked over the ratchet section on Sears' website -- OMG they must have over 30 options on 3/8" drive alone (marketing gimmicks for the most part). Who the heck needs a "gold plated" ratchet? Not one of them are as good as the few ratchet options they sold in the 50's and 60's.
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
AutoTech

I have the same Easco ratchet that GoodFellow has, I bought it from a local hardware store that no longer sells easco tools and say they can't get any rebuild kits for the ratchet! it was a great feeling ratchet very smooth and I was looking for a fine tooth ratchet at the time. I tried using it for everyday use in the shop and it didn't hold up very well, only lasted a few months till it was slipping badly! I loved the ratchet just didn't hold up very well. I will probably order a Craftsman out of the catalog and just use it when I needed a fine tooth ratchet in confined spaces!
AutoTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 12:00 PM   #22
Uncle Buck
Banned

Funny thing about the old Sears Best ratchet we are speaking of; even years ago, many moons before gold plated ratchets and before Sears had anything that was smooth handled called "Professional" or high polished all the old timers will remember that the best of whatever item you chose in their tool line was simply called "Sears Best" there was no guessing game and it was that simple. Another interesting note is that even during that time finding this ratchet in the stores was few and far between indeed! The reason I have mine is that my pop set me up really well when I turned 16; as part of that he ordered me all the basics to get me on my way to building my tool set and that 1/2" ratchet was part of what he catalog ordered!
Old 01-06-2008, 12:03 PM   #23
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoTech View Post
I have the same Easco ratchet that GoodFellow has, I bought it from a local hardware store that no longer sells easco tools and say they can't get any rebuild kits for the ratchet! it was a great feeling ratchet very smooth and I was looking for a fine tooth ratchet at the time. I tried using it for everyday use in the shop and it didn't hold up very well, only lasted a few months till it was slipping badly! I loved the ratchet just didn't hold up very well. I will probably order a Craftsman out of the catalog and just use it when I needed a fine tooth ratchet in confined spaces!
Perhaps you got a dud! I have that style of ratchet in the three popular drive sizes that I have used extensively since the mid 1970's and I have never had one shoot craps!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM   #24
Merkava_4
Banned

goodfellow,

I just got off the phone with some woman named "Sally" at Danaher Tools customer service at (1-800-688-8949) and she said your ratchet EASCO 721412 has been discontinued since 1996 and that there are no rebuild kits available for it.

I then asked her if the kit for a KD 721413 would work for it.

She said that ratchet has been discontinued also.

I then asked her if I could get an Armstrong replacement for it.

She said no, it has to be the same brand name.

I then asked her why I couldn't have an Armstrong since Armstrong, KD, and EASCO are all brands owned by Danaher.

She said I can't have an Armstrong unless the ratchet being replaced says Armstrong on it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:09 AM   #25
lbgradwell

What brand/model did she offer to replace it with?
lbgradwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #26
Merkava_4
Banned

That's just it, she said there is no replacement for it.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:41 AM   #27
lbgradwell

I think they should be compelled to do something for you. It was/is a Lifetime Warranted tool from a company that Danaher acquired. I believe they inherited that obligation (by law) with the purchase of Easco's assets.

I can see them not giving you an Armstrong (or not wanting to) but they cannot escape their obligation just because the model you have is no longer manufactured! That's not a Lifetime Warranty; that's a warranty for the product run.

I'd follow-up with them. Aggressively, if need be.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:42 AM   #28
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgradwell View Post
I think they should be compelled to do something for you. It was/is a Lifetime Warranted tool from a company that Danaher acquired. I believe they inherited that obligation (by law) with the purchase of Easco's assets.

I can see them not giving you an Armstrong (or not wanting to) but they cannot escape their obligation just because the model you have is no longer manufactured! That's not a Lifetime Warranty; that's a warranty for the product run.

You have nothing to lose!
Old 01-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #29
MAD

If you really like the ratchet I would try to get a repair kit for one of the Craftsman double paw ratchets and see if that works. I bet if you posted a picture of the guts of your ratchet someone with a Craftsman double paw RHFT ratchet could confirm that they are similar. If they are the same and you can't get a kit, you could get the whole ratchet (new or used) and use the parts to bring back your old friend. You could even take the donor handle back to Sears for a new one if that does not cross the line for you. You would likely have to request that they mail the ratchet to you in order to get the same kind though.

Old 01-07-2008, 12:09 PM   #30
Merkava_4
Banned

Quote:
Agreed! That's exactly what I thought too.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #31
MAD

If the craftsman kit looks like it would work and your local Sears preventative maintenance technician (the person who rebuilds clean looking returned ratchets) canít / will not help you, you could ask Adam on

http://www.craftsmantooltalk.com/BBS/

to see if he can help you out. He seems to have a soft spot in his heart (and perhaps his head) for bringing old ratchets back from the dead.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 PM   #32
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
goodfellow,

I just got off the phone with some woman named "Sally" at Danaher Tools customer service at (1-800-688-8949) and she said your ratchet EASCO 721412 has been discontinued since 1996 and that there are no rebuild kits available for it.

I then asked her why I couldn't have an Armstrong since Armstrong, KD, and EASCO are all brands owned by Danaher.

She said I can't have an Armstrong unless the ratchet being replaced says Armstrong on it.
What about trying to use a gut kit from an old Sears fine tooth round head that I described above? Perhaps a perfect fit?
Old 01-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #33
MAD

Quote:

I am sure they will give you a nice KD/Gearwrench brand Chinese Ratchet. I would try to rebuild it if at all possible considering how much you like the ratchet.
Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM   #34
MAD

Ok, I did a little digging and found out this

1: Although the similar KD 721413 ratchet has been discontinued you can still get the same ratchet. The new part number is KD 721413C. It is the same ratchet but it comes packaged on a card instead of in a cardboard box.

2: There is a new part number for the repair kit. The new number for the kit is 11908. It is not listed for your Easco but I think it would fit. They do not have repair kit listings for discontinued ratchets.

To get either the whole ratchet or the kit under the warranty you need to go through a KD tool dealer. Danaher does not do it directly to the consumer.

Best of luck.

Last edited by MAD; 01-07-2008 at 01:02 PM.
Old 01-07-2008, 01:08 PM   #35
Merkava_4
Banned

Good Job MAD.
Old 01-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
goodfellow

Quote:
Ok, I did a little digging and found out this

1: Although the similar KD 721413 ratchet has been discontinued you can still get the same ratchet. The new part number is KD 721413C. It is the same ratchet but it comes packaged on a card instead of in a cardboard box.

2: There is a new part number for the repair kit. The new number for the kit is 11908. It is not listed for your Easco but I think it would fit. They do not have repair kit listings for discontinued ratchets.

To get either the whole ratchet or the kit under the warranty you need to go through a KD tool dealer. Danaher does not do it directly to the consumer.

Best of luck.
MAD, Merkava_4, my sincere thanks to both of you for taking the time on my behalf. Much obliged -- it's guys like you that make this a great board.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #37
goodfellow

Just a follow-up. I emailed the KD customer support folks and was pleasantly surprised that I actually got an e-mail back.

Quote:

To keep from giving you the run around please send me your address and I will send out a replacement head kit for the ratchet.

End Quote:

This was sent from one of the Danaher tool company customer support agents. I used the info that MAD and Merkava_4 uncovered on this thread.

It's my opinion that they made the decision to send out the repair kit because I had all the info on part numbers and alternative applications. Needless to say I was overjoyed with their response -- thanks Danaher!!! A big conglomerate stepped up to the plate -- "who would have thunk it".
Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 PM   #38
lbgradwell

Good news! Happy to hear that...
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 PM   #39
64merc

Goodfellow, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if the KD repair kit ended up fitting your Easco ratchet? If it did, can you please tell me what model number your ratchet is, so I can keep an eye out for one. I saw an old Easco flex-head at a pawn shop the other day and I remembered this thread about yours. Thanks
64merc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 PM   #40
goodfellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64merc View Post
Goodfellow, sorry to bring back an old thread, but I was wondering if the KD repair kit ended up fitting your Easco ratchet? If it did, can you please tell me what model number your ratchet is, so I can keep an eye out for one. I saw an old Easco flex-head at a pawn shop the other day and I remembered this thread about yours. Thanks
64merc -- The EASCO part number is 721412, and due to some fine detective work from MAD and Merkava_4, I was able to get a rebuild kit directly from Danaher -- no charge

As fellow member "hholmberg" and others had speculated, the rebuild kit is exactly the same as for the Danaher/Craftsman fine tooth flex-head. Just to be absolutely sure, I switched the mechanisms from my EASCO and and an older fine tooth Craftsman - they are interchangeable.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:16 PM   #41
MAD

Quote:
Quote:
64merc -- The EASCO part number is 721412, and due to some fine detective work from MAD and Merkava_4, I was able to get a rebuild kit directly from Danaher -- no charge

As fellow member "hholmberg" and others had speculated, the rebuild kit is exactly the same as for the Danaher/Craftsman fine tooth flex-head. Just to be absolutely sure, I switched the mechanisms from my EASCO and and an older fine tooth Craftsman - they are interchangeable.
For the flex head 3/8" drive like goodfellow posted. The part numbers are the same for the Easco the KD branded ratchets:

721412 - Non quick release (I believe all of the available rebuild kits are only quick release and will convert this ratchet to a quick release model)

721413 - Quick release (still available new as KD 721413C)

The Craftsman version is 42794 (available online again for 23.99)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...nd%7CCraftsman

The rebuild kit #s are

KD 11908 (still available, new part#)

KD 721103 (obsolete old part #)

Craftsman- 43436
Old 02-05-2008, 11:29 PM   #42
64merc

Thanks for the info guys - I appreciate it
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #43
64merc

Update: Ok, so I went to the pawn shop at lunch and that Easco ratchet I had seen was the 721412 so I bought it. It was in a small box of junk tools along with a Wright 4400 1/2 drive ratchet. The bad news - it skips like crazy, but I like challenges so I bought it anyway.

So....I called Danaher and of course they told me it was obsolete, etc. and that there was nothing they could do for me. The lady said that there was no other kit that could fit my ratchet and that she wasn't aware of any kind of interchange. I was polite but persistent so then she put me on hold. She said she spoke to someone and that there was nothing they could do for me, blah blah blah. I decided to bring out the big guns so I told her that I asked around and was told that #11908 rebuild kit would fit. Faced with this she reluctantly agreed to send me this kit, but told me it would basically be case closed if it didn't fit.

Thanks again guys. If it weren't for your research this ratchet would be dead for good.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:30 PM   #44
goodfellow

Good deal -- another win for us little guys. Without all the info most folks would just take the "no" answer, but since our friends on this board provided part numbers they can't deny a warranty claim.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #45
MAD

I am happy I was able to help.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:15 PM   #46
le6920

Is this the Easco model you are talking about? The top one is an older Master Mechanic that is identical to the Easco ones.

le6920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 11:48 PM   #47
64merc

Well, the one we last discussed is basically the same design except that it's longer and it's a flex head. How did you manage to get your hands on three of them? Did you buy them new back in the day?

Hey, while we're back on the subject, I noticed that the ratchet I just bought has a lot of play in it. The ratcheting mechanism moved up and down in the head enough to cause it to skip. After cleaning and lubing it this continues to be a problem. I am waiting on a rebuild kit to come in but I was wondering if this was normal. My thinking is that it is not normal for this ratchet type, and is probably caused by a lack of tension being put on the teeth by the pawls. I'm really hoping the fresh rebuild will solve this problem.

Last edited by 64merc; 02-08-2008 at 11:54 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:11 AM   #48
le6920

I have four or five of the Easco version and the Master Mechanic version pictured above. I've had them since they came out, sometime in the 70s-80s. I don't know exactly. They are the smoothest 3/8 drive I think. I use the heck out of them.

FYI, my ratchets have no play in them at all, i think the rebuild kit will solve your problem. I am happy to hear that there is still a rebuild kit out there as Easco was bought out in the 80s I think.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #49
lbgradwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by le6920 View Post
I am happy to hear that there is still a rebuild kit out there as Easco was bought out in the 80s I think.
Yep. 1989!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:48 PM   #50
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

I picked up one of those Easco 3/8 drive quick release ratchets model 72 1109 at a car swap meet yesterday for the amazing price of 50 cents. It even works and the finish is good for a 20 year old or so ratchet. I gave up rifling through old boxes of tools at car swap meets long ago mostly because I have way too much crap of my own, and the people usually wanted way too much for their crap. Anyway this board got me in the mood for scounging yesterday so, I came up with the ratchet and few broken Craftsman screwdrivers for pocket change.
Fedwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 12:49 AM   #51
64merc

Wow, 50 cents!! That beats my best deals for sure. You suck!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM   #52
jim m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
I picked up one of those Easco 3/8 drive quick release ratchets model 72 1109 at a car swap meet yesterday for the amazing price of 50 cents. It even works and the finish is good for a 20 year old or so ratchet. I gave up rifling through old boxes of tools at car swap meets long ago mostly because I have way too much crap of my own, and the people usually wanted way too much for their crap. Anyway this board got me in the mood for scounging yesterday so, I came up with the ratchet and few broken Craftsman screwdrivers for pocket change.
hell thats how I get all most all my tools

Jim
jim m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 05:33 AM   #53
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim m View Post
hell thats how I get all most all my tools

Jim
And it's a lot of fun too.

Quote:
Why bother? Natural selection will take care of them. If it doesn't, a 12-gauge can take care of the unnatural selection...
Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 AM   #54
64merc

Well then, I guess I'm not alone. I love digging in "junk" tool bins at pawn shops and flea markets. My wife and family memebers think I'm a little strange but I tell them that at least it keeps me out of trouble. I bought all of my wrenches this way and enjoy finding old broken ratchets to rebuild. I really get a smile on my face when I find old broken Cman tools and get them exchanged. I guess I'm in good company.
Old 02-11-2008, 06:14 PM   #55
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Well then, I guess I'm not alone. I love digging in "junk" tool bins at pawn shops and flea markets. My wife and family memebers think I'm a little strange but I tell them that at least it keeps me out of trouble. I bought all of my wrenches this way and enjoy finding old broken ratchets to rebuild. I really get a smile on my face when I find old broken Cman tools and get them exchanged. I guess I'm in good company.
Yup.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #56
ImportTuner

My Easco ratchet is still brand new ....
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 07:43 PM   #57
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
Looks almost as new as Merkava's tools!

Quote:
Old 02-11-2008, 08:04 PM   #58
lbgradwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportTuner View Post
Just so I'm sure, is this the Easco ratchet that everyone raves about? Is it model 721109? And this is the same as a Craftsman 43781?

I'll get the Craftsman if I have to, but I'm going to look around for an Easco model first (just because I don't have anything by Easco)!
Old 02-11-2008, 08:34 PM   #59
eschoendorff
Director of Bands

Quote:
Just so I'm sure, is this the Easco ratchet that everyone raves about? Is it model 721109? And this is the same as a Craftsman 43781?

I'll get the Craftsman if I have to, but I'm going to look around for an Easco model first (just because I don't have anything by Easco)!
That be the one.

Quote:
Old 02-11-2008, 08:53 PM   #60
ImportTuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschoendorff View Post
Looks almost as new as Merkava's tools!
And I don't even remember buying it ... but with 40+ ratchets, I don't get around to using them all ... just the one's that are my favorite ...
ImportTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:30 PM   #61
64merc

I just had them order me the 1/4 version of the craftsman. I got an upgrade when I exchanged an old pear head with a broken quick realease mechanism. It took a little bit of persuasion but I got it done. In 7-10 days it's mine
Old 02-11-2008, 11:34 PM   #62
Uncle Buck
Banned

Heck, the Cmans may be NOS Easco's from back in the day. Think about it, most folks blow right by them in the catalog in search of the nice shiney professional line! Most forget before the full polish stuff that used to be Sears best ratchet line for many moons!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:13 AM   #63
lbgradwell

Quote:

BUMP!

I need some more info here...

I want both an Easco 721109 and its Craftsman twin 43781. Has the Craftsman always been the 9-43781 or was there an earlier V-43781 (or any other prefix/number). I'm only interested in the oldest version.

Also, does anyone remember when this model was introduced?

I'm going to post "WANTED"'s for both these ratchets in the Classifieds too, but if any of you have one you want to sell, drop me a PM!
Old 05-29-2008, 08:53 AM   #64
64merc

Quote:
BUMP!

I want both an Easco 721109 and its Craftsman twin 43781. Has the Craftsman always been the 9-43781 or was there an earlier V-43781 (or any other prefix/number). I'm only interested in the oldest version.

I'm going to post "WANTED"'s for both these ratchets in the Classifieds too, but if any of you have one you want to sell, drop me a PM!
I'm sorry, but I lost track of all the different models. Which one is the 721109? Is it the 3/8" non-flex head version?
Old 05-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #65
MAD

Quote:
BUMP!

The older Craftsman round head fine tooth double paw ratchets that I have seen have had a -V- prefix code. I do not think the newer ones have a 9 on them. I think that is just a Sears department code that does not appear on the tool. I recently picked up some new ones. One is a VVW 42794 flex head and the other is a -KW-43781. I remember seeing these ratchets in the early 1980s. I would not have noticed them before then.

btw: The new ones that I got are nice but not as buttery smooth as the old ones I have used. They may just need to break in a little.

Last edited by MAD; 05-29-2008 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #66
wrenchr

I will keep a eye out for yuh!! I will only charge what I pay!!
Old 05-29-2008, 09:07 AM   #67
Uncle Buck
Banned

I do not know for sure, but I got my first Craftsman ratchets of that design around 1977 or 78. I think the round head fine tooth had been around a number of years before that, perhaps even going back into the 60's! That is all I know.
Old 05-29-2008, 09:24 AM   #68
lbgradwell

Quote:
I'm sorry, but I lost track of all the different models. Which one is the 721109? Is it the 3/8" non-flex head version?
That is my understanding from earlier in this thread, Rolando. A 3/8" non-flex is what I'm after, at any rate!

Quote:
The older Craftsman round head fine tooth double paw ratchets that I have seen have had a -V- prefix code. I do not think the newer ones have a 9 on them. I think that is just a Sears department code that does not appear on the tool. I recently picked up some new ones. One is a VVW 42794 flex head and the other is a -KW-43781. I remember seeing these ratchets in the early 1980s. I would not have noticed them before then.

btw: The new ones that I got are nice but not as buttery smooth as the old ones I have used. They may just need to break in a little.
OK, good to know...

Then I want a buttery-smooth V-43781. And if it has "Pat." or better yet, "Pat. Pending", so much the better!

Quote:
I will keep a eye out for yuh!! I will only charge what I pay!!
You're the best, Jason! Add it to the pile...

I figure you US guys probably trip over these things every weekend in those fantastic flea markets you all seem to find. Much rarer up here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hholmberg View Post
I do not know for sure, but I got my first Craftsman ratchets of that design around 1977 or 78. I think the round head fine tooth had been around a number of years before that, perhaps even going back into the 60's! That is all I know.
Thanks Buck. So does anyone else remember these things from earlier than 1977?
Old 05-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #69
billymade

"9" is the code for the "hardware" dept at Sears!

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
billymade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:18 PM   #70
wrenchr

Quote:
That is my understanding from earlier in this thread, Rolando. A 3/8" non-flex is what I'm after, at any rate!

OK, good to know...

Then I want a buttery-smooth V-43781. And if it has "Pat." or better yet, "Pat. Pending", so much the better!

I figure you US guys probably trip over these things every weekend in those fantastic flea markets you all seem to find. Much rarer up here...

I know I can get my hands on a easco regular 3/8 round head if you are interested.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #71
wrenchr

Quote:

OK, good to know...

Nope I can't remember the year, I was born in 77!!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:13 PM   #72
lbgradwell

Quote:
I know I can get my hands on a easco regular 3/8 round head if you are interested.
Thanks, but Rolando thinks he's got me covered on that Easco... Still looking for the Craftsman version, though!
Old 05-29-2008, 02:15 PM   #73
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Thanks, but Rolando thinks he's got me covered on that Easco... Still looking for the Craftsman version, though!
So order one from Sears catalog, or their messed up web site!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #74
lbgradwell

Quote:
So order one from Sears catalog, or their messed up web site!
No good, Buck. I want a vintage "buttery-smooth V-43781"!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:38 PM   #75
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
No good, Buck. I want a vintage "buttery-smooth V-43781"!
Great idea, order one new and just see how it is, if it is not up to your expectations simply return it for a full refund. I bet you keep it though as nothing in the design etc of that ratchet has changed in at least 30yrs!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:49 PM   #76
billymade

Here are all the versions that are currently shipping now: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/search_10...tchet&sLevel=0

Being able to reach into your rollaway and finding the right tool for any given situation/repair; is the ultimate power trip!
Old 05-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #77
lbgradwell

Even if I wanted a new one Sears won't ship to Canada... I'd have to have it delivered to a friend in MI (who I see half-regularly) & have him forward it. Expensive & makes returns less-than-practical if not outright impossible.

Besides, MAD says the newer ones aren't as smooth as those oldies; maybe something in the design has changed! That doesn't really matter to me since I'm more interested in the historical progression of the Craftsman line rather than actually using the thing much!

No, no; it has to be a V-series and preferably a "Patent Pending" model...
Old 05-29-2008, 07:56 PM   #78
PowderKeg

Hey LG,

I've got all 5 of the early "Pat. Pend" fine-tooth quick release ratchets. My favorite ratchets that stripped many a parts car in their earlier years. And when I say stripped, I mean STRIPPED - not a bolted-on part left. The 1/4" is the only one I had a problem with (locked up) - took it to a Sears many years ago to warranty it and they tried to pawn off one of those fat-headed Stanley-style POS ratchets as a replacement. I told em no @#!%*% way and walked out the door. Tried another Sears - said they couldn't directly replace it either (catalog only), but they gave me a rebuild kit for it instead.

Reading the comments about smooth 'n buttery vs not for the current crop has me thinking about ordering one to see first-hand....

If you don't mind swimming with fleas, go jump in the 'bay - they show up fairly regularly on there - a handful currently, at least one 3/8" drive with some sockets and extensions. You'll have to ask the sellers about your "Pat. Pend" requirement though.
PowderKeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:52 PM   #79
lbgradwell

Did you buy yours new when they were first introduced? Inherited? Or did you just buy 'em when you saw 'em with the same requirement as me?

You'll have to let us know the results of your old v. new research!

No, I don't mind eBay at all. In fact, I have been looking there for these models for several months with very limited hits; it was only last night that it even occurred to me to post on this forum...

I guess my search string has been too restrictive. I didn't want to have to wade through hundreds of hits with "Craftsman ratchet", so I have been using "Craftsman (44983, 44977, 42794, 43781, 43187, "fine tooth") ratchet". Don't know why it's not working...

I know I missed this one the other night as I was busy somewhere, but they have been few & far between!

And my Easco search has been even worse. "Easco (721109, "fine-tooth") ratchet" has returned exactly ZERO hits in over 2 months!

Currently I can see a 1/4" and a 1/2", but no 3/8". Can you provide me with the link?
Old 05-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #80
billymade

If you are trying to get one of the craftsman rebuilt (they may not have a kit for it) and they won't help you; tell them to order you one from the craftsman tool catalog. It will be sent to your house free of charge; they will take your old one and a new one will be shipped out to you in 7-10 business days. It depends on who you talk to but they will have to call the order in on the phone; I do this for people when I need to. Your milage may vary; if you don't get help ask for the hardware manager or call sears customer service.
Customer Relations Hotline:
1-800-549-4505

Email us your questions, comments and experiences
or send a letter to:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/nb_10153_...ions&adCell=A4

Sears National Customer Relations
3333 Beverly Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60179

Old 05-29-2008, 10:26 PM   #81
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
Did you buy yours new when they were first introduced? Inherited? Or did you just buy 'em when you saw 'em with the same requirement as me?

You'll have to let us know the results of your old v. new research!

No, I don't mind eBay at all. In fact, I have been looking there for these models for several months with very limited hits; it was only last night that it even occurred to me to post on this forum...

I guess my search string has been too restrictive. I didn't want to have to wade through hundreds of hits with "Craftsman ratchet", so I have been using "Craftsman (44983, 44977, 42794, 43781, 43187, "fine tooth") ratchet". Don't know why it's not working...

I know I missed this one the other night as I was busy somewhere, but they have been few & far between!

And my Easco search has been even worse. "Easco (721109, "fine-tooth") ratchet" has returned exactly ZERO hits in over 2 months!

Currently I can see a 1/4" and a 1/2", but no 3/8". Can you provide me with the link?
I could be wrong, but I think you might have better luck searching either Craftsman ratchet, or Craftsman fine tooth, round head ratchet.
Old 05-29-2008, 10:37 PM   #82
PowderKeg

Bought em all new back then to replace the clunky pear head ratchets that came in my first socket/tool sets. Sears used to run some big sales a few times a year on individual hand tools - buy 10, get 15% off, buy 20, get 35% off, that kind of deal. I bought ALOT to fill out sets, add extensions, and such - that's how I got those 5 ratchets. I do believe they are the only ratchets I've ever bought new (besides the ratchets they replaced - gave them to my father, who's not picky).

No wait, I did buy a new stubby NAPA with a drive hole to put on a breaker bar new as well (and about the same time frame too). Now you want to talk "buttery smooth" - that little NAPA ratchet and another full-size one I picked up used are smoooooooth - they're the same Moore pear heads as the Craftsmans (the ones with either a butterfly,"V", or lever switch) without quick-release, but the ratchet action feels like it's from another world. Never have pulled those NAPA ratchets apart to see just why their soooo much smoother. Good thing the Craftsmans I got in the sets weren't that smooth, I'da never bought the fine-tooth ones.

Here's the link to the auction with the 3/8" drive. Too bad it's got a bunch of other stuff with it, gonna drive the bids up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...244026346&rd=1

Can't tell if it's an older or new one, no pic of the other side.

Craftsman, Mac, and Snap-On ratchet searches are a pain - restrict the search too much and you miss alot due to poor/incomplete descriptions or titles, search loosely and you gotta wade thru too much that aren't ratchets (like the latest craze for ratcheting box wrenches) or bunches of new clunkers from sellers parting out sets. I don't search by stock #'s or other descriptive types or sizes, just brands. I've got @ 9 saved searches covering, jeez, around 70 brand variants - generally keeps the results down to @ 1-3 pages per search, but still adds up to a bunch of results. At least most sellers have thumbs that show up in the searches, so scanning is easier that it used to be.

Yes, I am a hopeless addict...
Old 05-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #83
lbgradwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowderKeg View Post
No wait, I did buy a new stubby NAPA with a drive hole to put on a breaker bar new as well (and about the same time frame too). Now you want to talk "buttery smooth" - that little NAPA ratchet and another full-size one I picked up used are smoooooooth - they're the same Moore pear heads as the Craftsmans (the ones with either a butterfly,"V", or lever switch) without quick-release, but the ratchet action feels like it's from another world.
I believe those Craftsman V-switch models date from 1960...

Quote:
Here's the link to the auction with the 3/8" drive. Too bad it's got a bunch of other stuff with it, gonna drive the bids up:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...244026346&rd=1

Can't tell if it's an older or new one, no pic of the other side.
OK, I did see that when I looked after your last post. I wouldn't want that one anyway since I hate initials, markings, etc. on the tools...
Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 PM   #84
lauver

Guys,

I looked at this thread last week when there were only 4 posts and I thought this thread was about Easco branded ratchets. Interesting, but not what I was looking for.

I checked back today and this thread has morphed into a Easco-made Craftsman ratchet thread and there are 83 posts. Now I'm interested.

At any rate, I've gathered that Easco made ratchets for Sears for many years and some of them are still available either as NOS, or perhaps by way of Danaher. I've also gathered that there have been different series codes over the years (V, VV, VVW, KW, and some of the earliest ones had no series code, just a part number).

Do I have this (above) correct?

Are there other series codes for Easco-made ratchets?

Was there ever an E or EE series code for Easco-made ratchets?

What is the earliest known year for an Easco-made ratchet?

Is it possible that the Easco-made ratchets that are being sold now are not NOS, but are being supplied by Danaher from old Easco tooling?

Any thoughts on these questions are appreciated.

Last edited by lauver; 06-02-2008 at 08:02 PM.
lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #85
PowderKeg

All I can tell you is that my Craftsman round/fine ratchets are "V" series (at least they have a "V" on the handle that is separate from the stock/part #) that I bought new in the early 80's. I'm gonna take a wild unsubstansiated guess that these ratchets didn't hit the market until well after Easco's purchase of Moore. I've got a very vague recollection/thought that they were fairly new to the catalog when I ordered them, but I'm probably way off on that...

Easco acquired Moore Drop Forge @ 1968 I believe, with Moore having had the Craftsman contract - either in small part or near total - since @ 1938? What I'd like to know is Easco's history pre-Moore. I've only seen one Easco ratchet that wasn't a virtual dead ringer for a Craftsman - and that one looks to be a close sibling to a Matco. Did Easco exist as a tool manufacturer pre-Moore, or is their history like that of Danaher - got into the tool business by buying a tool manufacturer?
Old 06-03-2008, 02:53 PM   #86
lauver

Powderkeg,

Google "Danaher Company History" and you'll find lots of info. Also, I posted a Danaher time line on the "Craftsman: series time frame" thread. The time line makes it easy to see Danahers progresssion from a real estate holding company to a diversified manufacturing company, with tools factoring in as a major part (currently about 21% of total revenue) of the company.

I tried a google search of "Easco Company History" and didn't find much; If you have better luck, let me know.

Back to the Easco series code(s) question. The series codes mentioned in this thread that are found on the current craftsman fine tooth ratchets (VV, VVW, & KW are thought/or known to be Danaher series codes. The V series code on your Easco-made Craftsman ratchets is presumed to be Moore Drop Forge. The only Craftsman tools that I own, and that I believe were made by by Easco, are impact sockets purchased in the early 90's, have a EE series code.

Perhaps other folks on this thread can help sort this out or piece it together. That's what I'm hoping for. There are a lot of guys here at GJ that have a lot more tool history knowledge than I do.

BTW-- I was at a Sears store yesterday playing with all the fine tooth ratchets, and from what I could tell they are nothing special. I was looking for this "smooth feel" that everyone is talking about and did not find it. I could tell that there were more teeth in the ratchet mechanism but they were no smoother than my late 60's Moore Drop Forge made standard ratchets.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #87
64merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauver View Post
The only Craftsman tools that I own, and that I believe were made by by Easco, are impact sockets purchased in the early 90's, have a EE series code.

BTW-- I was at a Sears store yesterday playing with all the fine tooth ratchets, and from what I could tell they are nothing special. I was looking for this "smooth feel" that everyone is talking about and did not find it. I could tell that there were more teeth in the ratchet mechanism but they were no smoother than my late 60's Moore Drop Forge made standard ratchets.
I have some C-man chrome sockets that also have a EE series code. You can spot them really easily if you have an eye for them because the chrome is a different color (more white, if that makes sense).

Are you sure that the ratchets you saw yesterday are the same ratchets in question? I was under the impression that they were catalog only ratchets.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:28 PM   #88
PowderKeg

Quote:
That's because these ratchets have never been available in the stores - they've always been "catalog order only". That's also the one pain about them - go to warranty one (a need which appears to be somewhat rare with these, unlike many other newer Crapsman ratchets...), and the store will likely try and stick you with one of those inferior POS round head models, unless you're lucky and find a store that'll give you a rebuild kit instead. Took me awhile to find a store that would do that - and that was the only store that got more of my money for additional purchases....
Old 06-03-2008, 04:14 PM   #89
Uncle Buck
Banned

Quote:
That's because these ratchets have never been available in the stores - they've always been "catalog order only". That's also the one pain about them - go to warranty one (a need which appears to be somewhat rare with these, unlike many other newer Crapsman ratchets...), and the store will likely try and stick you with one of those inferior POS round head models, unless you're lucky and find a store that'll give you a rebuild kit instead. Took me awhile to find a store that would do that - and that was the only store that got more of my money for additional purchases....
Yup, very true, catalog only for more years than I would care to discuss!
Old 06-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #90
wrenchr

Quote:
Yup, very true, catalog only for more years than I would care to discuss!
Which makes no sense at all.
Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #91
billymade

Again, if you need one warranted and they do not have a rebuild kit; have them order it for you from the catalog! If they don't help, ask for manager and get it ordered; typically 7-10 working days in the mail. Hope this helps!

Old 06-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #92
wrenchr

It is worth the wait!!!!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:51 PM   #93
Uncle Buck
Banned

I used my V series 3/8" Crafty fine round head just tonight changing the trans fluid & filter in the mrs car, still works like a charm after 25-30 yrs! Great stuff indeed!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:26 PM   #94
lauver

hholmberg, PowderKeg, & other interested parties,

I'm not disputing that your V series round head fine tooth ratchets were made by Easco, but how do you know who made them?

On one hand, the general design is different than MDF pear head ratchets, the ratcheting mechanism is finer than the MDF pear head ratchets, and they were purchased/produced at a time when Easco was known to be supply tools for sears.

On the other hand, the round head fine tooth ratchets share the same series code as the MDF pear head ratchets (both V's).

Is there some characteristic or feature that is unique to Easco ratchets that would absolutely identify Easco as the manufacturer of the round head fine tooth ratchets? If so, what is it?

Also, I was on another tool website where there was some discussion of Craftsman EE series ratchets sold in the 1980's. They listed PN's 43772, 43582, and 43771. There was some discussion that these ratchets were made by National Tool Corp (owned by Stanley at that time). This is the first time I have seen anyone attribute the EE series to any company other than Easco. Do you guys have any ratchets with any of these PN's and/or EE series code? If so, could you post some photos (both sides, and close-ups showing any markings)?
Old 06-09-2008, 05:46 PM   #95
PowderKeg

Quote:

I'm not disputing that your V series round head fine tooth ratchets were made by Easco, but how do you know who made them?

On one hand, the general design is different than MDF pear head ratchets, the ratcheting mechanism is finer than the MDF pear head ratchets, and they were purchased/produced at a time when Easco was known to be supply tools for sears.

On the other hand, the round head fine tooth ratchets share the same series code as the MDF pear head ratchets (both V's).

Is there some characteristic or feature that is unique to Easco ratchets that would absolutely identify Easco as the manufacturer of the round head fine tooth ratchets? If so, what is it?
Check out patent # US3532013, assigned to Moore Drop Forging in 1970, for a quick release mechanism for a fine tooth ratchet. Doesn't it look familiar? Since Easco acquired Moore about the same time as the patent was applied for (1968), I'd guess it's a reasonable jump to say that Easco produced the ratchets, with a Moore patented quick release mechanism. Haven't found any patent for the actual ratcheting mechanism yet - my head is still hurting the last search.

Don't have any EE ratchets from Craftsman, or those part #'s

You can search for patents on Free Patents Online - just have to sign-up.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/
Old 06-09-2008, 06:22 PM   #96
MAD

Quote:

Also, I was on another tool website where there was some discussion of Craftsman EE series ratchets sold in the 1980's. They listed PN's 43772, 43582, and 43771. There was some discussion that these ratchets were made by National Tool Corp (owned by Stanley at that time). This is the first time I have seen anyone attribute the EE series to any company other than Easco. Do you guys have any ratchets with any of these PN's and/or EE series code? If so, could you post some photos (both sides, and close-ups showing any markings)?
Quote:
Check out patent # US3532013, assigned to Moore Drop Forging in 1970, for a quick release mechanism for a fine tooth ratchet. Doesn't it look familiar? Since Easco acquired Moore about the same time as the patent was applied for (1968), I'd guess it's a reasonable jump to say that Easco produced the ratchets, with a Moore patented quick release mechanism. Haven't found any patent for the actual ratcheting mechanism yet - my head is still hurting the last search.

Don't have any EE ratchets from Craftsman, or those part #'s

You can search for patents on Free Patents Online - just have to sign-up.
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/
PowderKeg is right. Easco owned the Moore Drop Forging plant in Springfield MA during the period the double paw fine tooth ratchets appeared. Easco also acquired KD tools in the early 1980s. You still buy the KD branded version of the same ratchet. Easco still exists as a division of Danaher but I have not seen new tools branded Easco for a while. I am not sure when it happened but the Easco line all shifted to being branded KD.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #97
PowderKeg

Quote:
Haven't found any patent for the actual ratcheting mechanism yet - my head is still hurting the last search.
Found it, right under my nose....

patent # 3467231, also to Moore Drop Forging in 1969

I've yet to see one of these ratchets without the quick release though.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:26 PM   #98
lauver

PowderKeg & MADD,

Thanks for the info. As I said before, I'm not disputing you or the facts; it's just that I don't own any of these Easco made ratchets and have not even seen one. And until recently (this thread), there hasn't been much discussion on the Easco-Craftsman connection. This whole thing makes me want to find out more about "Easco the company and its tools".

MADD,

Did you see my comment/question in post #94 regarding 1980's EE series ratchets and the possible connection to National Tool Corp/Stanley?

Do you know anything about NTC, their acquisition by Stanley, or a possible link to the EE series code?

Do you have, or have you ever run across, any of the following EE ratchets (PN's 43772, 43582, & 43771)? Just asking because you seem to have a knack for the obscure.

Last edited by lauver; 06-10-2008 at 02:30 PM. Reason: afterthought
lauver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:47 PM   #99
lauver

Quote:
I have some C-man chrome sockets that also have a EE series code. You can spot them really easily if you have an eye for them because the chrome is a different color (more white, if that makes sense).

Are you sure that the ratchets you saw yesterday are the same ratchets in question? I was under the impression that they were catalog only ratchets.
64merc,

Thanks for replying on the EE question. Do your EE chrome sockets say where they were made? I'm guessing USA, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the ratchets I saw in the store-- you're absolutely right, the Easco made ratchets are catalog-only. I completely forgot about that when I was in the store. So what I was looking at were similar but not the Easco made ones. That explains why I didn't experience the "smooth" that everyone uses to describe these ratchets.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:33 PM   #100
DaytonFan

The c-man flexhead is a sparkplug ratchet, can you take a better pic of the easco ratchet I have a practically brand new 3/8" ratchet!!
DaytonFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #101
64merc

Quote:
64merc,

Thanks for replying on the EE question. Do your EE chrome sockets say where they were made? I'm guessing USA, but I could be wrong.

Regarding the ratchets I saw in the store-- you're absolutely right, the Easco made ratchets are catalog-only. I completely forgot about that when I was in the store. So what I was looking at were similar but not the Easco made ones. That explains why I didn't experience the "smooth" that everyone uses to describe these ratchets.
Yes, the EE sockets say made in the USA. Aside from the color of the chrome, they are not much different than the sockets before and after them.
Old 07-30-2008, 03:19 PM   #102
mmcss640

All,
I found a repair kit at NAPA for these ratchets that I think will fit. The part number is NHT 11908 and costs about $10. I am the proud owner of an Easco 721412 flex-head ratchet that I am converting to quick-release. I have had this ratchet for over 20 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.
mmcss640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 04:11 PM   #103
64merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmcss640 View Post
All,
I found a repair kit at NAPA for these ratchets that I think will fit. The part number is NHT 11908 and costs about $10. I am the proud owner of an Easco 721412 flex-head ratchet that I am converting to quick-release. I have had this ratchet for over 20 years and wouldn't trade it for anything.
It's good to hear than another one of these Easco ratchets is being saved. I believe I have the same one you do.

BTW, if you call Danaher they should be able to get you a KD rebuild kit that fits (free). I don't know the part number off hand but I think it is buried in this thread somewhere.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:49 PM   #104
MAD

Quote:
It's good to hear than another one of these Easco ratchets is being saved. I believe I have the same one you do.

BTW, if you call Danaher they should be able to get you a KD rebuild kit that fits (free). I don't know the part number off hand but I think it is buried in this thread somewhere.
11908 is the KD kit # too.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #105
wantedabiggergarage

First, I have an Easco ratchet, part number 721107. It is a round head, non quick release, with the handle being sized and shaped like the new Craftsman thin pro line handles.

Secondly, I first found out about the Craftsman round head, by a friend who found a dead one (missing guts) on the side of the road. He didn't care what he got in its place, so I gave him one of the 1/4" pear head ones after finding it still in the catalog.

I took it to Sears, and the manager said to call corporate. They asked for the store number, the associate number, and the part number of the ratchet. Then he put it in the scrap bin, and they mailed me a new one.

The pear heads I have left, are very light duty stuff, or loaner ratchets. Heck, the import made Benchtop from Kmart, I bought when I was 17 is better. (I used to keep cheap tools in the car for emergency's. Now I would rather tow it.)
wantedabiggergarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 PM   #106
rhandwor

I think Napa sold Easco tools for a while with a Napa brand name. I would stop in and ask to look at their ratchet kits.
rhandwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #107
phi2039

Quote:
BUMP!

The 721109 is still available. You should be able to pick one up for about $25-28.
phi2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #108
phi2039

Quote:

Yup...the Easco-branded tools were split into KD and Allen when Danaher bought the company. The first place to look for 'Easco' tools is K-D, then try Allen.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #109
autoace

Quote:
goodfellow,

Don't you just love that,,they discontinue it and won't give you another, how convienient. I have had the best luck with Snap-on and Sears gets an honorable mention.

What is wrong with the old one? unless you striped the teeth, It may be salvageable. I disassemble all my ratchets, clean,and lube"like Merkava" and have fixed many ratchets people gave me; because, they thought they were no good, turns out there was just a sliver of metal in the pawl most of the time.,Some clean up, rust removal, adj. of spring if equiped and lube,presto
autoace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:11 PM   #110
davestlouis

phi2039, where can I get a new 72-1109? Is this something that NAPA can order?
davestlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #111
billymade

If it is the same Craftsman design; get a kit from Sears?

Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 PM   #112
davestlouis

I don't need the kit, I'd like to get my mitts on a brand-new 72-1109 ratchet, or something marked as KD, etc. I already have a Craftsman coming (1/4inch) but prefer the other brands, just to be different.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:33 PM   #113
davestlouis

Well I'll be dipped, KD shows it as a catalog item. Now the trick is, are there any available?
Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 PM   #114
Tool Pants

Getting confused with all the numbers.

Have an Easco 721413 with the quick release. Bought it about 20 years ago. From what I remember Sears had the same version of this ratchet, but I bought it for less money as an Easco.

Looks like the repair kit for a 721412 (non quick release) is a KD #11908. Anyone know if the same repair kit is also for my quick release?

Then I contact Danaher and pretend I have a KD ratchet. Too funny. Just in case, what KD ratchet do I say I have?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mine 0535.JPG (27.7 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg mine 0538.JPG (30.2 KB, 56 views)
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #115
davestlouis

The 11908 is a quick release kit, I don't think they even build a non-QR kit anymore. That 11908 will fit a 72-1109, and I think 72-1107 was a non-QR variant with a different handle shape(flat like a paint brush). Don't take my information as law, but as far as I know it's correct.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:27 PM   #116
64merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tool Pants View Post

Have an Easco 721413 with the quick release. Bought it about 20 years ago. From what I remember Sears had the same version of this ratchet, but I bought it for less money as an Easco.

Looks like the repair kit for a 721412 (non quick release) is a KD #11908. Anyone know if the same repair kit is also for my quick release?

Then I contact Danaher and pretend I have a KD ratchet. Too funny. Just in case, what KD ratchet do I say I have?
Kit #11908 will be quick release. If they ask, tell them you have KD ratchet #721413C (MAD said that #721413 is obsolete).
Old 11-03-2008, 05:37 PM   #117
le6920

Quote:

I have both the Easco and C-Man fine tooth flex head ratchets. They C-Man kits work just fine in the Easco ratchet. I cannot tell them apart. There was also a non-quick release version you mention and that is dimensionally the same as well. I have swapped out a non-qucik release Easco with a quick-release C-Man repair kit as well. Hope that helps.

C-Man still has the fine tooth quick release as a catalog item, but not sure if they still sell a flex head fine tooth.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:15 PM   #118
davestlouis

The flex head fine tooth is in the catalog, but online it shows out of stock. I looked last night. Wound up with a 1/4inch non-flex.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #119
davestlouis

To complicate things, NAPA shows all 3 sizes:

NM-47 is 1/4in, NB-47 is the 3/8 and NS-47 is the 1/2 inch drive, per my 2006-07 catalog. NAPA doesn't show any flex heads.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #120
phi2039

Quote:
Originally Posted by davestlouis View Post
Well I'll be dipped, KD shows it as a catalog item. Now the trick is, are there any available?
They are in stock at the warehouse . In Lake St. Louis, your best bet may be to ask Fastenal (www.fastenal.com for locations) to order one for you. The official Danaher part number is EHT721109. If they are less than helpful, PM me and I can get you hooked up.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:38 PM   #121
davestlouis

KD responded via email, they are sending me a list of retailers. They are listed in the NAPA catalog too, under NAPA-specific part #s.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 AM   #122
paramudduck

So it looks like the KD 721109 kit will fit my Easco 721107.

Or maybe Craftsman 43781. OK now to wait until the crazy season is over so I'll know I'll have time to call.

Tool do job=good tool
paramudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 04:50 AM   #123
Tool Pants

Quote:
Kit #11908 will be quick release. If they ask, tell them you have KD ratchet #721413C (MAD said that #721413 is obsolete).
I sent an email. The only email I saw on the KD site was kdmarketing@danahertool.com. http://www.kd-tools.com/contacts.htm

Said I had a KD 721413C, and needed a 11908 service kit mailed to me.

I have a feeling it is not going to be this easy to get a rebuild kit for my Easco....
Old 11-06-2008, 07:14 AM   #124
billymade

As far as I know, all the Craftsman/Napa/Easco et. al..... are all the same ratcheting head mechanism; Craftsman is shipping these ratchets in 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drives; the head kits are still being made because of this, get a kit from Sears and be done with it!

Old 11-06-2008, 07:20 AM   #125
MAD

Quote:
Just to clarify: The "C" at the end of the part number only indicates that the ratchet comes packaged on a card. The ratchet probably does not have the "C" on it. This came up originally because if you ask Danaher if the ratchet is available, they will say it is not unless you give them the number with the "C" at the end. Their system will also not show the rebuild kit as available unless you give them the number with the "C" suffix.

This was true specifically for the 3/8" flex head ratchet at the time the thread originated.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:58 AM   #126
64merc

Quote:
I sent an email. The only email I saw on the KD site was kdmarketing@danahertool.com. http://www.kd-tools.com/contacts.htm

I have a feeling it is not going to be this easy to get a rebuild kit for my Easco....
I hope they respond to you. I tried that email once and I never got a response. You may need to try calling Danaher customer service. Please let us know how it turns out.
Old 11-06-2008, 09:06 AM   #127
goodfellow

I used the KD contacts e-mail address, and they responded within a few days. They did mail a KD rebuild kit for my old EASCO Ratchet.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:18 PM   #128
wantedabiggergarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by paramudduck View Post
So it looks like the KD 721109 kit will fit my Easco 721107.

Or maybe Craftsman 43781. OK now to wait until the crazy season is over so I'll know I'll have time to call.
Let me know on this. I would like to be able to go to Sears and get the kit, but I believe they stopped selling the penny rebuild kits a few years ago.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #129
davestlouis

I had a local NAPA order the kit...it was $14.99, which was a lot of money, but it came from the warehouse in 24 hours. They also show that several NAPA stores in IL and MO stock these ratchets in the NAPA-branded variant, the 3/8 is NM-47 I think.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:38 PM   #130
rhandwor

Look at it this way $10.00 UPS plus $5.00 for the part. It may have cost you more but Napa covers the shipping.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:17 PM   #131
davestlouis

I'm not going to bitch about the money, it never crossed my mind to try to get it warrantied, I just want a ratchet that feels good and works well. I don't expect tools to last forever, they wear just like anything else with moving parts in it. If sloppiness in the guts of a pawnshop ratchet bugs me, I'll deal with it myself. These are the second roundhead ratchets I've ever liked...I have a couple of Williams B52's that are a fine tooth design also, and feel really nice to use.
Old 11-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #132
paramudduck

I like the Williams B52's and the Snap on round heads. I don't mind buying the parts I just hate trying to chase down the information.

Tool do job=good tool
paramudduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 10:18 PM   #133
davestlouis

I enjoy the thrill of the chase, trying to figure out what's what. It was just weird timing that I stumbled on 2 Easco ratchets within 3 days and have embarked on a mini-adventure trying to get them in what I consider to be good working order. I've learned a few things about roundhead ratchets and have had fun tinkering with them.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:05 PM   #134
Tool Pants

Quote:

I just received an email from customer service at Danaher that the kit will be shipped out in 5 business days.

Forgot to say that in my email I said there were no KD distributors in my area. This is true since I have an Easco....

Now don't all you Easco/Craftsman owners jump on Danaher until I receive the rebuild kit and see if it is the correct one, or put Danaher out of business....
Old 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM   #135
64merc

Quote:
I just received an email from customer service at Danaher that the kit will be shipped out in 5 business days.

Forgot to say that in my email I said there were no KD distributors in my area. This is true since I have an Easco....

Now don't all you Easco/Craftsman owners jump on Danaher until I receive the rebuild kit and see if it is the correct one, or put Danaher out of business....
Great, glad to hear it. Let us know
Old 11-20-2008, 04:12 PM   #136
Tool Pants

Here it is. I took my Easco - oops I mean KD - apart and it is the right rebuild kit. The kit is quick release, just like my Easco.

Cheap Danaher Tool Group does not include the lube.

Just kidding. It was nice of Danaher to send it without going through a headache.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg my easco (2).JPG (45.0 KB, 94 views)

Last edited by Tool Pants; 11-20-2008 at 05:10 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #137
64merc

Quote:
Here it is. I took my Easco - oops I mean KD - apart and it is the right rebuild kit.

Cheap Danaher Tool Group does not include the lube.

Just kidding. It was nice of Danaher to send it without going through a headache.
Good, I knew it would work.

Hey, BTW, when I installed the same kit in my Easco flex head ratchet I encountered a strange problem. When I put older sockets on it, with shallow detents, the direction switch will not work properly. I have to take the socket off, switch directions, and then put the socket back on. This is because the ball bearing is still depressed slightly, thus not allowing it to change directions for some reason. This problem annoyed me so much that I found a similar style used ratchet and swapped in the used "kit".

I'm wondering if I got a dud, or if you'll have a similar issue. BTW, new Cman sockets didn't bother it as much since they have very deep detents.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:58 PM   #138
davestlouis

I just rec'd the 1/4 inch Easco from BWP today, with the broken gut kit. Nobody locally has the gut kit in stock, but I have one ordered, so I'll be in business in a week or 2. Nice looking flex head by the way.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #139
davestlouis

The gut kit that I got from NAPA had no circlip, and neither did the dead ratchet I got from BWP. I finally got a gut kit from Sears today with a circlip in it...NAPA shows the kit on national backorder, still.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #140
mojowojo

Newbie here and like some help. I read through this whole thread on easco ratchets and it was great information. However, all it mentioned was the 3/8 drive. I have a 1/2 drive fine tooth round head ratchet that's been skipping and would like to get a rebuilt kit from Danaher but i can't seem to find the part # for it. My easco ratchet has this part # 73-1110. Any one with a correct part # to the rebuilt kit would help. Oh BTW, I did call Danaher but bascially the same answer, item no longer made and discountinued and no replacement parts.
mojowojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 05:39 PM   #141
rhandwor

Easco used to make Napa tools I would check with a Napa auto parts store.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #142
PowderKeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojowojo View Post
Newbie here and like some help. I read through this whole thread on easco ratchets and it was great information. However, all it mentioned was the 3/8 drive. I have a 1/2 drive fine tooth round head ratchet that's been skipping and would like to get a rebuilt kit from Danaher but i can't seem to find the part # for it. My easco ratchet has this part # 73-1110. Any one with a correct part # to the rebuilt kit would help. Oh BTW, I did call Danaher but bascially the same answer, item no longer made and discountinued and no replacement parts.
Looks like the KD part number for the kit is 12809. Or call Danaher back and tell them it's for a KD ratchet 731111.

http://www.kd-tools.com/731111116.htm
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 PM   #143
stock z/28

Hello guys,

I too have several of these ratchets in various styles and sizes.

Im pretty sure I have used the Craftsman fine tooth kit in them before.

As an interesting side not, back in the 80s a local store, part of a large chain (Big Lots) sold bunches of Easco/Master Mechanic branded tools at a large discount. I must have bought about 5-10 of the 1/2 inch drive fine tooth ratchets. Im not sure I ever used them? Had kind of forgoten about it untill now.

It was kinda funny because the tools were in big tubs you had to scrouge through, and every once in a while a Craftsman tool would show up, instead of the easco/master mechanic.

I have quite a few ratcets of various styles, and I must say several that I really like. Some of my favorites are the SK yoke style swivel heads and about all of the Williams Super Ratchets.
stock z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:39 AM   #144
jetski21

I to was looking for replacement parts for my Easco 721413 3/8 flex head ratchet. I called the main Danaher number and was given this number to their tool division 1-410-773-7800. Got customer service on line, very friendly and technical. Told her my problem, she looked up the parts kit, found out they are out till the 23rd of this month, took my name and address and was told parts will be on it's way just as soon as they receive it. WOW! Talk about service, second to none. Compared to my 3/8 Snap On the Easco is a lot smoother and better ratchet. They still make this under a different name - K&D 721413c. After using the Easco, I gave away all my craftsman ratchets and the snap on is in my kids tool box.
jetski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:05 PM   #145
billymade

If you like the KD/Easco ratchets; stop by your local O'riellys Auto Parts; they are carrying the KD ratchets now...

Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #146
Tool Pants

Danaher is inconsistent.

If you look at page 7 KD/Danaher sent me a free 3/8" kit back in November for my Easco.

I just bought a 1/2" Craftsman and emailed KD for a kit. This time I was told to buy one from a local Napa store.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #147
Mr.Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by billymade View Post
If you like the KD/Easco ratchets; stop by your local O'riellys Auto Parts; they are carrying the KD ratchets now...
Really, made in the USA right?
Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 PM   #148
jetski21

Why did you not take it back to Sears?
jetski21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:56 AM   #149
Draftpick

Ok well I have read all the easco, craftsman posts on the round head fine tooth ratchets, and have compiled a list of all the ratchets that are interchangeable and their respective repair kits, so that everyone that has one of these brands can get repair kits and keep their ratchets alive. I have a couple of the older craftsman's listed that I got from a Craftsman Industrial catalog and that is what models they have listed for that kit, older or first generations is my guess. Also there are Master Mechanic versions that exist I don't have any model numbers so If anyone has some I will up date the list, and there might be some older Easco models that I don't have as well.

Allen 1/4 model# 10904, repair kit#10908
Craftsman 1/4 model# 43187,43178, repair kit#43426
Easco 1/4 model#711106, repair kit#10908
K-D 1/4 model#711106, repair kit#10908
Master Mechanic???
Napa 1/4 model# NHT NM-47, repair kit#10908

Allen 3/8 model#11904, repair kit#11908
Craftsman 3/8 model#43781,42794,42792,43788, repair kit#43436
Easco 3/8 model#721107,721413, repair kit#11908
K-D 3/8 model#721109,721413,721412, repair kit#721103,11908
Master Mechanic???
Napa 3/8 model# NHT NB-47, repair kit# 11908

Allen 1/2 model#12806, repair kit#12809
Craftsman 1/2 model#44977.44983,44944,44973,44978, repair kit#43446
Easco 1/2 model#731112,731111, 731116, repair kit#12809
K-D 1/2 model#731111,731116, repair kit#12809
Master Mechanic1/2 model#T1661
Napa 1/2 model#NHT NS-47, repair kit#12809

Last edited by Draftpick; 09-29-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Draftpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:04 PM   #150
superautobacs

Thanks for the compilation Draftpick.
IMO, it'be even more useful if you created a thread of your own with the appropriate title--it'll stand out more than a post in an old, 8-page thread.
superautobacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:31 PM   #151
caper

Send a message via MSN to caper

I agree.Post your own thread with this info in it,it's a great resource for many members.Use a title that's easily searchable or Pm a mod to have it added to the kartracers thread of great threads at the top of the main page.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:45 PM   #152
PowderKeg

Master Mechanic 1/2" T1661
Easco 1/2" long handle 731116
Allen 1/2" 12804

There were also non-quick release versions released for some brands - only difference is the lack of the socket quick release function and the model #(AFAIK). IMHO a quick release repair kit would be a nice upgrade:
Master Mechanic 1/2" T1660
Napa 1/2" NS65

Also, are you sure the 3/8" Easco 721107 you have listed is really a RHFT like the others? The one I have is a round head but of a very different design than the classic RHFT (not a dual pawl mech, and not held in with an internal ring). Some brands re-used model #'s for different head styles (Napa among others has) - don't know if Easco did for the Easco branded line.

Looks like a good shot at a compilation of models - only suggestion I might add is to include the handle style (if known) beside the model # (regular, long handle, flex). Every handle style was not offered by every brand, AFAIK Craftsman only offered regular and flex models, KD only regular and long handle, etc.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:31 AM   #153
Draftpick

I will make a new post, and add flex and long handle. As for easco 721107, on page 7 of this thread post #128 is where I got that model number. It might be a non quick release but a member posted that model as a RHFT, easco and craftsman have made these for close to 40 years and im sure we don't have all the model numbers and non-quick release varations.
Draftpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #154
PSU Engineer

Great list, now I can throw away my list of these ratchets that I've been compiling.

Oh, and not to be a stick in the mud, but please add the Armstrong 11-915 to the list. It's not a ratchet, it's Easco Pornography. I think that it was the only full polished version of these ratchets.

Fedwrench just wrote a thread about buying one during a MSC sale. I had to drive over to MSC and get one for myself.
Armstrong <<
Oh, and the 1/2" version of this ratchet is Armstrong 12-915. Armstrong makes the 1/4" version, but I cannot confirm the model number as 10-915 via the Armstong tools website. I think that would be the number if this ratchet followed the same model number sequence as the other ratchets.

Tony
PSU Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #155
PowderKeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draftpick View Post
I will make a new post, and add flex and long handle. As for easco 721107, on page 7 of this thread post #128 is where I got that model number. It might be a non quick release but a member posted that model as a RHFT, easco and craftsman have made these for close to 40 years and im sure we don't have all the model numbers and non-quick release varations.
Back on page 6, posts 105 and 115 also mention the 721107 - what they describe is the ratchet I have - a round head, but definitely not the venerable RHFT. That style seems to me to be somewhat of an oddity from Easco, as I've never seen any other Moore/Easco/Danaher sourced ratchet with that head/gut design (yet...). My earlier thoughts were that it might be a Wright-sourced ratchet produced/stamped for Easco, as the gut design is very similar to Wright's, but it won't interchange with any Wright-sourced round head I currently have - ever-so-slightly smaller in diameter and fits loose inside a Wright handle. Conversely, the Wright guts are ever-so-slightly larger in diameter and won't fit in the Easco handle.

Wouldn't surprise me either to continue to see more model #'s pop up for more handle and brand variations for the RHFT head. I'm still lacking a KD version and now I have to add the polished Armstrong to the want list.

Looks like you're gonna have a right long list of RHFT ratchets there in the future.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:12 AM   #156
Joe Mamma

Draftpick and others, thanks for putting this information together.

Joe Mamma
Old 11-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #157
sawmillman

I have one of the easco 721107 I Know for a fact that they were made in the us becouse they were made in MD.My father used to be a engineer at the plant.I got to see it back in the late 80's and got a ratchet. but years of abuse have taken it's toll and it needs a kit.
sawmillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 PM   #158
Tool Pants

20 something years later I have another Easco. I have been looking for a 1/2" drive long handle ratchet at the flea market without any luck. Today I saw 2. The Easco and a Ridgid that looked like an Easco.

Bought the Easco 731116. 15" long. Looks almost like new. Here it is next to my 1/2" Craftsman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg easco long handle (1).JPG (75.4 KB, 78 views)
Old 03-02-2011, 11:36 AM   #159
rcsec

This thread was loaded with such good info that when researching my EASCO 3/8" 721109 I had to bring it up. I'd assumed I'd just clean lube it but the retaining ball no longer...retains; sockets just fall off.

After reading this thread a few times I decided I just call Danaher (now Apex) to locate the correct rebuilt kit. Of course the ratchet is no longer made, same story for the rebuild kit. They offer up a replacement, either an Armstrong 11-915 or a Gearwrench 81211.

Would there happen to be rebuild kit on someone's shelf?

The Armstrong (domestic) is a 1/2" shorter and 8 degree arc while the Gearwrench (imported) is a thin profile with a 6 degree arc. Who has used either of these ratchets, what do they like and dislike?

Thanks,

Old 03-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #160
mrholeshot

Unless they just stopped building it Armstrong has a ratchet with the exact same head
Old 03-02-2011, 11:59 AM   #161
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsec View Post
Would there happen to be rebuild kit on someone's shelf?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Allen-11908-Ratc...item3a62eaf3b2

I picked up a couple of these to keep my older ratchets going strong!!!

Armstrong used to make a version of the Easco ratchet that was full polished with same gear. I can't get a part number from Armstrong so, it may be discontinued.
I don't care for the 36 tooth armstrong ratchets. I like the basic Gearwrench 60 tooth ratchet. See if you can get them to give you a 3/8 drive armstrong maxx ratchet.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM   #162
mrholeshot

I would explain to them you have a USA fine tooth ratchet and thats what you would like in return. Like Fedwrench said push for the Armstrong Maxx.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:21 PM   #163
PowderKeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Armstrong used to make a version of the Easco ratchet that was full polished with same gear. I can't get a part number from Armstrong so, it may be discontinued.
FWIW, my 1/2" Armstrong version is 12-915. The full chrome job looks much better IMHO than the standard matte finish w/ chrome head, and while the handle is a little odd looking it feels comfortable - although it could get real slick to hold onto real quick.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #164
thesilverone

Send a message via AIM to thesilverone

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=44430

Allen 3/8 model#11904, repair kit#11908
Armstrong 3/8 model#11-915, repair kit#11-963
Craftsman 3/8 model#43781,42794(Flex),42792(Flex),43788, repair kit#43436
Easco 3/8 model#721109,721413(Flex),721412(Flex), repair kit#11908
K-D 3/8 model#721109,721413(Flex), repair kit#721103(old),11908(new)
Master Mechanic???
Napa 3/8 model# NHT NB-47, repair kit# 11908

My Feedback Thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=155808
Quote:
Can't see spending $11,000 for a box that does the same damn thing as a box that's just as big and does the same exact thing as one for $1,000....

What y'all think?

(.)(.) KAOTIK Motorsports (.)(.)
thesilverone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:04 AM   #165
rcsec

THANKS!

I read through it yesterday then must have closed that browser...and couldn't find that thread again or the PNs. I just ordered the repair kit off ebay.

Brought this ratchet into work yesterday (we're not a repair facility) to do some research on it. A coworker fondled it, "WOW, now that's nice." The only other thing we had to compare to it was a cheap, disposable import; which just rattled & clunked when used. lol
Old 11-13-2011, 02:58 PM   #166
MC1983

Send a message via AIM to MC1983

Any tips on how to get the snap ring off on these things if the ears are gone? Got a 1/4 ratchet from the flea market that was pretty rusted and after soaking it in evaporust, I noticed the ears were broken off on the snap ring. Now I can't figure out how to get it apart to put a new kit in.
MC1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:05 PM   #167
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1983 View Post
Any tips on how to get the snap ring off on these things if the ears are gone? Got a 1/4 ratchet from the flea market that was pretty rusted and after soaking it in evaporust, I noticed the ears were broken off on the snap ring. Now I can't figure out how to get it apart to put a new kit in.
Grab an end with some pliers and keep pulling till it's all out?
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:23 PM   #168
MC1983

Not enough clearance to get in there with pliers.
Old 11-14-2011, 12:06 AM   #169
DanCo

Location: In a house, on a block, somewhere in Queens New York
Send a message via AIM to DanCo Send a message via Yahoo to DanCo

2 picks, jam 1 to hold the ring in place, the other to pull the other end out. Then a needle nose to pull what's left of the clip out.

Looking for Snap On Pearl Handled Screwdrivers, PM me if you want to sell

DanCo's For Sale Items
DanCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 03:05 AM   #170
blarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanCo View Post
2 picks, jam 1 to hold the ring in place, the other to pull the other end out. Then a needle nose to pull what's left of the clip out.
That. Then buy a ratchet that uses proper fasteners to keep everything in place.
blarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #171
MC1983

Thanks, I was able to get the broken snap ring off. I ended up using a pair of surgical hemostats since that was the only thing that would fit.

Anybody got any leads on where to find a rebuild kit for the 1/4" ratchets? I only found the 3/8" kits on ebay.
Old 12-18-2011, 11:35 AM   #172
thesilverone

I was able to locate a 1/4 ratchet rebuild kit on craftsman's forum. they are rare to find.

Quote:
Can't see spending $11,000 for a box that does the same damn thing as a box that's just as big and does the same exact thing as one for $1,000....

What y'all think?

Old 12-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #173
thesilverone

just saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Craf...item1e6958e8f7

12.99 + 3.25 shipping is a bit expensive for a repair kit though

Quote:

What y'all think?

Old 12-18-2011, 12:11 PM   #174
jrodc455

I have 3 1/2" kits, 1 3/8" and 1 1/4" lol.
jrodc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:09 PM   #175
jrodc455

I am willing to part with the kits I have. I also have some craftsman rhft handles.
jrodc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #176
wrh3

If anyone needs a RHFT 3/8 repair kit, here is one that works from Cripes:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250767668146...ht_2473wt_1037