Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Lighting & Electrical

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-06-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
thinkracing

Default 3 phase 220v but has a phase converter .... ???

I need some help. I'm looking at a drill press. It is 3 phase 220v but comes with a phase converter.

What is a phase converter and what does this mean for my garage?

I have a few 20 amp outlets. I'm trying to understand what I'll need to make this press work for me.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:18 AM   #2
Wastedwagesracing
Banned

Default Re: 3 phase 220v but has a phase converter .... ???

http://www.phase-a-matic.com/
Wastedwagesracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #3
G_P

The phase converter will allow you to run the 3phase machine on single phase power you have at home.

it's 220v so a standard outlet wont power it. You would probably need to run a seperate 220v circuit to it unless you have dryer/oven outlets in your shop.
G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #4
darkk

Phase Converters also cut some of the horse power of the equipment being used. The cheaper types cut the most power...here is a cut and paste from somewhere on the internet.

Below, you will find a list and a brief description of each one. The static and the rotary converters are the most popular ones in the market today.

Static-Phase Converters: These are the first phase converters and have been around the longest. The uses are limited, and if you have a smaller motor or one motor, these may do the job. Remember that static-phase converters do not convert one-phase power to three-phase power, nor do they generate three-phase power. The static-phase converter will not power any type of machinery with three-phase circuitry. Static-phase converters operate by producing a third-phase of power for only a few seconds doing the startup of electrical motors.
Read more about static-phase converters.

Rotary-Phase Converters: A rotary-phase converter is designed to power larger equipment and higher HP motors, and a single unit can provide a continuous reliable source of three-phase power to more than one machine. These converters are a popular choice when you need a continuous source of three-phase power. A rotary-phase converter uses it's own motor to generate the third, high leg of power as well as passing on the other two legs of power provided by your single-phase power source. Not all rotary converters are the same; many companies just convert single-phase power into unbalanced third-phase power. Quality three-phase rated converters use a balanced three-phase generator with power factor correction. Properly installed, a rotary-phase converter should operate 35 years or longer.
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
Falcon67

Put a VFD on it and you won't have any loss of power and can take advantage of many other benefits. Unless that's what it has already. Excellent motor control device. I wish I could put a 3 phase motor and a VFD on every big motor in my shop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable-frequency_drive

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #6
thinkracing

Thanks for the great responses! I've got an electrician available to install a 220v outlet. I bought a nice Clausing 20" drill press that I'm picking up this weekend.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Steve in SoCal

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkk View Post
Phase Converters also cut some of the horse power of the equipment being used. The cheaper types cut the most power...here is a cut and paste from somewhere on the internet.

Below, you will find a list and a brief description of each one. The static and the rotary converters are the most popular ones in the market today.

Static-Phase Converters: These are the first phase converters and have been around the longest. The uses are limited, and if you have a smaller motor or one motor, these may do the job. Remember that static-phase converters do not convert one-phase power to three-phase power, nor do they generate three-phase power. The static-phase converter will not power any type of machinery with three-phase circuitry. Static-phase converters operate by producing a third-phase of power for only a few seconds doing the startup of electrical motors.
Read more about static-phase converters.

Rotary-Phase Converters: A rotary-phase converter is designed to power larger equipment and higher HP motors, and a single unit can provide a continuous reliable source of three-phase power to more than one machine. These converters are a popular choice when you need a continuous source of three-phase power. A rotary-phase converter uses it's own motor to generate the third, high leg of power as well as passing on the other two legs of power provided by your single-phase power source. Not all rotary converters are the same; many companies just convert single-phase power into unbalanced third-phase power. Quality three-phase rated converters use a balanced three-phase generator with power factor correction. Properly installed, a rotary-phase converter should operate 35 years or longer.
Before you make a claim like "ALL phase converters cut some horse power" perhaps you should understand what you cut and paste?

A rotary phase converter or a VFD will produce three phase power just like a utility with no electromotive power loss. You will have an additional load for the converter but, that is not a loss in power to a motor. There are a few exceptions to the use of a phase converter in lieu of utility three phase, like regenerative braking on the bus that are out of the scope of this topic.

Trying to be helpful is only good when you can offer meaningful advice, making rash statements without basis is counter productive.

Steve
Steve in SoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 03:01 PM   #8
Steevo

Post pics of that Clausing Drill Press!

I don't need chrome. . . . I like tools with "patina".

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:35 AM   #9
thinkracing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
Post pics of that Clausing Drill Press!
I will. I pick it up Saturday morning.