Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-07-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
Jason280

Default Pittsburgh Automotive/HF floor jack

I'm looking at picking up a replacement floor jack, and noticed Harbor Freight is having a sale on a few of their models. I dropped in the other day, and checked out the 3 and 4 ton quick lift Pittsburgh Automotive jacks that are selling for $89 and $139 respectively. The build on these jacks looked pretty good, with great welds and a grease fittings on the handle pivot. I've tried doing a search on the Pittsburgh name, but I have not been able to find out much regarding this brand of floor jacks. I realize its simply a generic Chinese model, but I am curious how they compare with other models in the same range.

I'd like to get the 4 ton model, as it offers the lift height and weight capacity to handle everything I have, from a Cummins diesel to a Kubota tractor. Question is, will it be a reliable jack? Any reason to avoid this particular model? Also, how generic are these models? Meaning, if I do have to rebuild or replace any seals, how easy/difficult will replacement parts be? Thanks!
Jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 05:53 AM   #2
toolmaker1

Default Re: Pittsburgh Automotive/HF floor jack

Best thing to do with anything at HF is to look at it in person on an item by item basis. They do change suppliers so something that is great at one time may be crap 6 months later. No real good way to tell from looking about the quality of the internals so I will defer to someone that has purchased one recently.
toolmaker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-07-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
fitz11

The gray floor jacks they have now seem to be much nicer than the old orange models. I have the 3 ton model and it has worked great for me. There is a $69 coupon out there for it. As for the parts im not sure I paid the extra $10 fot the replacement plan so if it breaks I just take it in and get a new one.
fitz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 01:56 PM   #4
t100

I've never had good luck with jacks except one. I have the famous Arcan jack from Costco failed, 2 USA made failed, 1 Cman import failed. only one has never failed is an orange HF 3-ton, I bought used 6 years ago.
t100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #5
Jason280

Thanks for the information. I went ahead and picked up the 4 ton model, but didn't buy the extended service plan. I may end up buying it any way, as I think you have 30 days from date of purchase.

Anyway, the jack looks pretty good. It has a very nice powder coat finish, and seems to be well made. Of course, the key to any floor jack is the actual pump, so we'll see how it holds up. I did try it out on my '91 Mazda B2600i, and it picked up the front without even a grumble. I believe I am really going to like this jack, assuming it doesn't start giving me problems. One thing I will say, its heavy! I'd bet its over 100 lbs, maybe more...but its really a non issue in a concrete shop.

I'll try and get a few pics up later...
Old 03-07-2012, 06:16 PM   #6
DCC!!

http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-68050.html

We have this guy ^ up at work! I was kind of iffy at first but i cant say enough about it. Rolls around great, pumps up fast and firm, lets down smooth with tons of control. Its turned into my go to floor jack.
DCC!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
t100

if you decide to keep it, go spend $3 at any parts store for some good hydraulic jack oil. flip it over and get most of the factory oil replaced.
t100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:34 PM   #8
Jason280

Quote:
if you decide to keep it, go spend $3 at any parts store for some good hydraulic jack oil. flip it over and get most of the factory oil replaced.
Is the factory stuff that bad, or is it just rough on the seals?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:37 AM   #9
briggsguy17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason280 View Post
Thanks for the information. I went ahead and picked up the 4 ton model, but didn't buy the extended service plan. I may end up buying it any way, as I think you have 30 days from date of purchase.

Anyway, the jack looks pretty good. It has a very nice powder coat finish, and seems to be well made. Of course, the key to any floor jack is the actual pump, so we'll see how it holds up. I did try it out on my '91 Mazda B2600i, and it picked up the front without even a grumble. I believe I am really going to like this jack, assuming it doesn't start giving me problems. One thing I will say, its heavy! I'd bet its over 100 lbs, maybe more...but its really a non issue in a concrete shop.

I'll try and get a few pics up later...
We have that jack at the shop. It gets used everyday and I have no complaints. We even use it to jack up one front wheel at a time on big trucks to check king pins. Probably going to get a few more.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:58 AM   #10
chewy7

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggsguy17 View Post
We have that jack at the shop. It gets used everyday and I have no complaints. We even use it to jack up one front wheel at a time on big trucks to check king pins. Probably going to get a few more.
how long have you had it? thinking of getting that 4 ton jack too.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #11
chewy7

well i just bought a 4 ton model and it works good. has 2 pistons for fast raise. i think when there is weight on the jack, the bigger left side piston gets by passed which slows the raising of the jack and i assume then the right side smaller piston is raising it.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:14 PM   #12
BTC

Location: Lansing, Michigan via Kentucky, Georgia & Tennessee

Anyone using this jack?

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...ghlight=harbor
BTC is offline   Reply With Quote