Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2012, 06:55 PM   #1
hockey88fan

Default Metal vs drywall ceiling in garage

It's time to do the ceiling my garage. I've been set on drywall but recently saw one finished with white metal, the kind used to side pole buildings. It looked really bright and I liked the fact that when screw it up it's basically done, no finishing or painting. I'd like to hear comments from guys who have both. Also, how would you insulate with the metal ceiling? Specifically, is a vapor barrier used when insulating? The upstairs won't be heated, the downstairs will have radiant in slab as soon as the funds allow. Thanks!

hockey88fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Motofixxer

Default Re: Metal vs drywall ceiling in garage

Was it mine you saw???

I like the ease of putting the steel up. It looks nice, it's different. Everyone comments positively on it. Drywall would have been so much slower and more work and hassle on my cathedral ceiling. You have a lower easier ceiling so it wouldn't be so bad. It really works out to cost, amount of work, and preference.

Click Here for INFORMATIVE Legal Info and videos

Our INALIENABLE Right to Travel Defined Legal Style

Don't Talk to Cops (PLEASE WATCH, Important for any and all Law Enforcement Encounters)
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-15-2012, 08:32 PM   #3
John in OH

I just recently installed a steel ceiling in my 34x54 shop. I considered drywall, but for many of the same reasons you mention ... quick, one-step & it's done, no sanding, no painting, ... no muss, no fuss.

It took 3 guys two days to install the 10'-6" long J-channels and the 44, 14' x 3' panels. They pre-drilled all the panels before lifting them up ... these panels are not light and are awkward to handle. They must be aligned much more carefully than installing drywall panels. I had the J-channel set out from the wall 1/2 in. to allow future drywall on the walls to slip up behind the vertical leg of the J-channel to ease future finishing of the top edge of the drywall.

Things for you or anyone to be aware of ... check with your local inspector before selecting steel vs. drywall for the ceiling. The steel has a Class A fire spread rating, BUT it does not have a fire retardant rating. There may be concerns if you want to finish a room on second floor of your garage for habitation. Also, the electrical work for all of the ceiling mounted fixtures is a little more difficult (you want to avoid the big ridges on the panels) and you have to be careful of the sharp metal edges cutting the wiring so cutting and trimming holes for boxes takes time.

I installed regular faced insulation in the ceiling as you can see in some of the photos. Don't know if the vapor barrier is required or not, but using the staple flanges on the insulation bats makes the installation easier.

So far, I'm very pleased with the steel ceiling, but its been up for only two weeks! Lights and ceiling fans are next.

IMG_7545 (Custom).jpg IMG_7546 (Custom).jpg IMG_7550 (Custom).jpg IMG_7551 (Custom).jpg IMG_7553 (Custom).jpg IMG_7554 (Custom).jpg IMG_7556 (Custom).jpg
John in OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #4
hockey88fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in OH View Post
I just recently installed a steel ceiling in my 34x54 shop. I considered drywall, but for many of the same reasons you mention ... quick, one-step & it's done, no sanding, no painting, ... no muss, no fuss.

It took 3 guys two days to install the 10'-6" long J-channels and the 44, 14' x 3' panels. They pre-drilled all the panels before lifting them up ... these panels are not light and are awkward to handle. They must be aligned much more carefully than installing drywall panels. I had the J-channel set out from the wall 1/2 in. to allow future drywall on the walls to slip up behind the vertical leg of the J-channel to ease future finishing of the top edge of the drywall.

Things for you or anyone to be aware of ... check with your local inspector before selecting steel vs. drywall for the ceiling. The steel has a Class A fire spread rating, BUT it does not have a fire retardant rating. There may be concerns if you want to finish a room on second floor of your garage for habitation. Also, the electrical work for all of the ceiling mounted fixtures is a little more difficult (you want to avoid the big ridges on the panels) and you have to be careful of the sharp metal edges cutting the wiring so cutting and trimming holes for boxes takes time.

I installed regular faced insulation in the ceiling as you can see in some of the photos. Don't know if the vapor barrier is required or not, but using the staple flanges on the insulation bats makes the installation easier.

So far, I'm very pleased with the steel ceiling, but its been up for only two weeks! Lights and ceiling fans are next.

Attachment 174950 Attachment 174951 Attachment 174952 Attachment 174953 Attachment 174954 Attachment 174955 Attachment 174956
Great info, and looks awesome!! Thanks!
Old 03-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #5
Mike007

I went with steel for all the reasons mentioned. One other benefit, if I recall correctly the steel was about 1/2 the weight of 1/2" sheetrock.
Mike007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #6
OccupantRJ

What material is the J channel, and where are you guys getting it?

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:33 PM   #7
pinebarkauto

I used metal on my walls and ceiling in my shop. All electrical is surface mounted in conduit. My building is a pole barn and it was just easier. If it had been a stud wall construction, I would have still used metal on the ceiling but gone with a wood covering on the walls for ease of mounting cabinets and shelving. I got my metal and supplies from MetalBuildingSupplyCo.com in Piedmont, SC. 1-800-922-8039. Chip.
pinebarkauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Jeff Ivers

I put in sheetrock when I built my shop 20 years ago. Last fall, I helped a friend put metal on the ceiling of his shop. We completed the job in 2 days for a 24x30 building. If I was doing my shop today, I would do metal. The only down side to the metal is it is a bit more difficult to locate/install outlets in.
Jeff Ivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
54stude

Keep posting pics guys! I am thinking about a metal ceiling in my shop this summer. Does anyone have pics of metal on a steep inside ceiling, like a 10/12 rafter garage for instance?
54stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
John in OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupantRJ View Post
What material is the J channel, and where are you guys getting it?
The J-channel is steel and is available from the steel panel manufacturer so wherever you buy the steel panels should be able to also provide the J-channel. Most of these panel manufactures seem to provide a fairly wide range of trim components to match the panels.

Dimensions are roughly 3" horizontal upper flange for attachment to joist (note the channel is attached to the joist, NOT to the wall), approximate 3/4" vertical leg and approximately 3/4" horizontal lower flange with folded lip. Sorry I don't have a photo or exact dimensions.

The channel is not supposed to provide any support for the panels, it's just a finish piece for the sidewalls.
John in OH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 09:58 PM   #11
jlckmj

My opinion? Metal for sure!
As far as insulation, I have blown some above the metal, and I have done the bats, like the picture above, both work.

Jim
jlckmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:43 PM   #12
PCO6

I used aluminum soffit - 16" W x 10' L panels. They are very light and were easy to install by myself. I used 6" insulation batts and a 6mm vapour barrier. To be honest, I didn't even consider drywall. Too much work!

Old 03-16-2012, 12:05 AM   #13
pipsters

What is the price difference? Something about the metal ceilings just does not look right to me. Personally I wouldn't put them in my garage.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 12:15 AM   #14
gooned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
What is the price difference? Something about the metal ceilings just does not look right to me. Personally I wouldn't put them in my garage.
In a working shop I think it'd be great, may even do mine in tin.

In a "polish and store" garage definetly go drywall and paint.. my 0.02
gooned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:00 AM   #15
Justanoldguy

Good thread guys.
Love the finished look to steel.
More pics please and detail shots of j channel, fittings etc.
Justanoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:32 AM   #16
camarotoolman
Banned

The vinyl or aluminum soffit would be alot less work, much easier on your bod. I had drywall on my porch ceiling, had to paint it about every year to keep it looking nice. Covered it over with vinyl, just hose it down now.
camarotoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 05:51 AM   #17
OccupantRJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in OH View Post
The J-channel is steel and is available from the steel panel manufacturer so wherever you buy the steel panels should be able to also provide the J-channel. Most of these panel manufactures seem to provide a fairly wide range of trim components to match the panels.

Dimensions are roughly 3" horizontal upper flange for attachment to joist (note the channel is attached to the joist, NOT to the wall), approximate 3/4" vertical leg and approximately 3/4" horizontal lower flange with folded lip. Sorry I don't have a photo or exact dimensions.

The channel is not supposed to provide any support for the panels, it's just a finish piece for the sidewalls.
The reason I asked, is because there may be people buying the metal sheets from a source that stocks the sheets, but not the trim. In that case, I would think that vinyl J channel could be used, or aluminum trim coil could be used to bend up some trim. In my case, there is a roll forming operation for the metal roofing just 2 miles from my house, but is wholesale only, distributed through a wholesaler next door to them, who also happens to own the place. I gotta see if I can get my friend the roofing contractor to hook me up for what I will need.

It's always easier to find a reason NOT to do something.....

Last edited by OccupantRJ; 03-16-2012 at 05:58 AM.
OccupantRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
hockey88fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCO6 View Post
I used aluminum soffit - 16" W x 10' L panels. They are very light and were easy to install by myself. I used 6" insulation batts and a 6mm vapour barrier. To be honest, I didn't even consider drywall. Too much work!

Looks great
Old 03-16-2012, 06:55 AM   #19
darkk

Wish I could have used metal. Code required 5/8" fire rated drywall.
darkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
sberry

I like that soffit.
sberry is offline   Reply With Quote