Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-21-2012, 02:11 AM   #1
GeorgiaHybrid

Default From tornado downed trees to a new garage

OK guys,

I promised a few of you a build thread and here it is. It will be a long one as I took a LOT of pictures during the build. As most of you know, we had several tornados that came thru the neighborhood last year that cleared most of my trees from the backyard. I will make this several posts in the same thread with this one ending with the foundations in and stem walls done.

Here is what I started with after a month of cutting, burning and hauling stumps away with the bobcat I rented:

All cleaned up and the stakes are in for the new garage location:

The little baby excavator arrives to dig footings:

Meanwhile, the backyard looked like a bombing range from the stump holes left so I needed a few loads of fill dirt.....The wife liked what she saw so I kept that guy busy for a while...

Footings dug and rebar in the ground ready for concrete:

Meanwhile in the backyard....

Footings going in:

Remaining rebar for the floor slab:

The forms for the stem wall show up and start going into place:

Meanwhile in the backyard, the wife REALLY likes the new yard getting flatter and flatter without the gulley we used to have back there...

The forms are up, the rebar is in the walls and 4,000 psi pump mix gets pumped in. Two days later, the forms start to come down and the stem walls are starting to show:

Decided to go up on the mountain in the background and take a picture from on high....If you look close you can see the track of the 1st tornado at 9 AM going from right to left across the bottom of the screen and the little one that came thru at 1PM going the same direction but it hit behind the house with the red roof, went up the hill towards the top of the photo and then joined back up with the track of the first one coming back down the hill on the left side of the picture.

Stem walls revealed, fill brought in and compacted, and a gravel bed is down for the building materials to be put on. Didn't want everything getting Georgia red clay on it...

GeorgiaHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
GeorgiaHybrid

Default Re: From tornado downed trees to a new garage

Here we go forward with the framing getting started and the first day the framing crew showed up:

Roof trusses up...

Decking and shingles go down:

Meanwhile, in the backyard......The wife really likes the look after 300+ tandem axle loads of fill dirt.

And decides to fill in the side yard also.

I have been busy along with some helpful friends by putting down a vapor barrier and tying a LOT of rebar getting ready for a slab pour that is 5" of 3,500 psi concrete. I also have a LOT bigger footing than I asked for the future two post lift. they contain about 2 yards each with 4 levels of rebar.

Did I mention the wife likes fill dirt?? After doing the side yard, she went "Why not the front?"....there are now just over 350 loads of fill dirt down. It took 54 loads of top soil to cover everything and get something that grass would grow in. You guys in the mid west have NO idea how lucky you are with nice, black dirt to play with.

back at the garage, the slab is done and we are leveling out the gravel and getting ready for the apron pour.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #3
GeorgiaHybrid

Here we go forward with the electrical rough in and sheetrock being done.

New 200 amp service center run. There are 6 20 amp wall circuits and almost everything has a home run instead of a combined circuit.

The pile of 2x6 oak that will become my new workbenches after another year of drying out.

The grass is starting to come in nicely;

Interior walls going in, the supports for the Liftmasters and garage doors and the mess of light switches and door openers at the man door.

Outside, the siding gets started and the drywall starts going up inside:

Sheetrock gets finished, ceiling paint goes on, the lights start getting hung and plastic over the door openings so I can get some heat in the shop.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:13 AM   #4
GeorgiaHybrid

Closing in on the finish line, the outside gets completed and the interior gets finished up and painted:

This is my next project, getting the rest of the downed trees burned/cut and then start helping with the neighbors

Move in day with the trim saws and nail guns competing for space with my tools....

Even a working crapper:

After two days of cleaning up, moving around and generally getting things out of the way for the lift install that should happen late this week or next week, this will be the cleanest you EVER see this shop....

Blast and grind room roughed in:

Still junk on the bench but plenty cleaned up for the install:

I still have a bunch of items to complete (baseboards, paint, airlines, etc) but at least the new space is useable. The lift was installed today and the new storage cabinets should be here soon (14 gauge industrial storage, nothing fancy...).

Last edited by GeorgiaHybrid; 03-21-2012 at 02:29 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #5
Domel

This is awesome!
do you have any "blueprints" of this garage ?
size ? height ?

Great work !

Garages - Collection of random pictures - Album 002
Domel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:26 AM   #6
tinbender 66

That's about as close to perfect as I've seen. Beautiful piece of land too!!

Paul

The never ending project:

THE PEDESTRIAN GARAGE
tinbender 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
55chevy

Thumbs up Re: From tornado downed trees to a new garage

Outstanding. North Georgia is beautiful.

I know you are proud of the new shop.

Now, get to work.
55chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domel View Post
This is awesome!
do you have any "blueprints" of this garage ?
size ? height ?

Great work !
It's 32x52 with a 12' stud wall on top of the stem wall. The way everything worked out, there is 15'-8" clear to the drywall on the ceiling. The doors are 10'x10' Clopay with Liftmaster 3800's. If you noticed the wall outlets, each circuit has its own color of face plate and outlet. The side and back wall have 4 circuits (white, grey, almond and brown) while the front wall and outside have 2 circuits (black and orange). That way a glance will tell you what circuit might have too much crap plugged in when a few buddies are working over here. I always hated popping a breaker.

There is a "whole house" fan in the back right corner for venting while welding and during the summer months and hopefully before next winter, a sterling propane heater will go in. I had one print of the layout for the entire build as there are no building permits required here, no inspections (other than the load center for electrical before Georgia Power will hook it up) and if you screw up, it's your fault, not someone elses.

I just need to find one of the project cars I'm interested in and start building fun cars again. It's been way too long since I had a rod so, with the girls graduated and gone, it's daddies time to play.....
Old 03-21-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
1991Syclone

I noticed there's a down slope towards the garage but no drain at the door. Are you concerned about water flowing into the garage during a severe storm? It's a beautiful place you have there.
1991Syclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
Nighttrain

Very very nice. Great way to get your wife to buy in on the construction with 350+ loads of dirt. Also I like the detail on your electrical wires using the romex cover for labels. Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:18 AM   #11
Domel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaHybrid View Post
It's 32x52 with a 12' stud wall on top of the stem wall. The way everything worked out, there is 15'-8" clear to the drywall on the ceiling. The doors are 10'x10' Clopay with Liftmaster 3800's. If you noticed the wall outlets, each circuit has its own color of face plate and outlet. The side and back wall have 4 circuits (white, grey, almond and brown) while the front wall and outside have 2 circuits (black and orange). That way a glance will tell you what circuit might have too much crap plugged in when a few buddies are working over here. I always hated popping a breaker.
Thank you

Garages - Collection of random pictures - Album 002
Domel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #12
KCarGuy

WOW! Go Big or Go Home!
Nice Job.
Tons of work and alot of thought and planning.
KCarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:45 AM   #13
bluesman2a

Wow, that's BEAUTIFUL!!!
I know what I spent on dirt (nowhere NEAR that) and I can tell, you really LOVE your wife. Dirt work is often unappreciated and people don't understand what goes into it. That aspect alone is amazing.

The concrete is great too...

The overall plan is one of the best I've seen on this board. Clean. Simple. Workable. It's not super snazzy, it's not super large, but just looking at it, you can tell it will be a great actual "working" shop.

I know I've probably asked before, but whereabouts in NW Georgia are you? Looks like some of the area up between Blue Ridge and Young-Harris maybe?
bluesman2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
Mmfh

Man, I wouldn't change a thing! Except maybe the lights above the bay doors. JK. I love the setup, the colors, everything. Especially where its located. Beautiful!

You now have I think one of the coolest shops on GJ. Really nice job!

Mm
Old 03-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #15
CHRIS P

Holy sweet garage batman. Thats a sweet build man
CHRIS P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:15 AM   #16
Red Leader

Wow, that looks great GeorgiaHybrid!

I'm always in admiration of the garages that can show just empty studs and then BAM, everything is sheetrocked - I needed at least 3 pages to dedicate to my drywalling adventures

Looks absolutely fantastic!

Currently looking for the following vintage Craftsman tools:
1940-1941 Craftsman 101.02180 9" cabinet saw - link
1956-1957 Craftsman 12" Foley-Belsaw planer - link
1940s floor press model 103-0304
1939-1940 10" band saw model 103.0101
Also looking for a 1942 Craftsman shop vise:
http://images116.fotki.com/v693/phot...49_01PM-vi.png
Red Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:18 AM   #17
Drunken Yak inc
Alliance Member

That is awesome! I bet you have a grin on your face every time you open a door into it!
Old 03-21-2012, 11:34 AM   #18
Falcon67

Very, very nice - great space!

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 12:23 PM   #19
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1991Syclone View Post
I noticed there's a down slope towards the garage but no drain at the door. Are you concerned about water flowing into the garage during a severe storm? It's a beautiful place you have there.
It doesn't look like it but the way everything is sloped, I haven't had any water in the garage after as much as 5" of rain in 3 hours. The guy doing the dirt work sloped and cut everything as well as any I have ever seen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmfh View Post
Man, I wouldn't change a thing! Except maybe the lights above the bay doors. JK. I love the setup, the colors, everything. Especially where its located. Beautiful!

You now have I think one of the coolest shops on GJ. Really nice job!

Mm
The ceiling lights above the doors (when the door is raised) is one of my sore spots. I missed the location by 6" and only one light shines thru the windows of the door when they are open. 6" more to the rear ans they would have been dead on.

bluesman2a, We are in the "missing county" on the back of the state quarter and about 15 miles from the TN and AL state lines.

Thanks for all the complements everyone, this past year has been a nightmare in a lot of ways but like one comment stated, I get a big grin on my face every time I walk out into the garage.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
SuperSocket

I saw this today (see image below), reminded me of your build. The logs in the picture below was from an aftermath of Cyclone Gudrun. Good reminder to show us how strong mother nature really is.

SuperSocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #21
UN4GTBL

^ Wow o.O
Old 03-21-2012, 01:20 PM   #22
Stuntmonkey

I'm not sure why, but I think this is one of the nicest builds I've seen on this site. I think it's because north georgia is so beautiful. Reminds me of south eastern Australia to be honest.

Can you post some pics looking out the garage doors? I wasn't too sure where the garage is located on your property but from the last couple it looks like your house is right next to it?
Stuntmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:22 PM   #23
Scuderia-F1

You know how to do it properly!

Very nice build, & I know that you'll be in a good mood every time your about to go out to the garage.
Scuderia-F1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:39 PM   #24
Macgyver_ga

Very Nice!

So you're up in the Trenton area?
Macgyver_ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 01:51 PM   #25
upndown

Glad to see the house dodged a big bullet.. that had to be scary!! Beautiful piece of property, Home and shop!! Spread some dirt and make momma smile..Smart man! Hope you've got a good lawnmower haha. Enjoy and thanks for sharing!
upndown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #26
cletus66

Now THAT is the way to show how it is done !!!

cletus66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 03:07 PM   #27
jamesemery728

Holy cow. What more can you say. That is so nice I would not even care if it came with a house. I could pitch a tent in the backyard and call it home. Very well done.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:37 PM   #28
graffix000

What a write up and great garage! Thanks for sharing.
graffix000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:49 PM   #29
baartman

I burned my dinner reading this.
baartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #30
ejm1961Tbird

What a fantastic build and great photos too -- thanks!
ejm1961Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #31
colt zantop

Now that looks great! PERFECT SIZE!

NOW OFFERING CUSTOM garage/mancave license plate art!

PM me or check out the classifieds!

ALSO check out my NEW store below!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePlateFac...ef=seller_info
colt zantop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #32
JCQuick

very nice build can't wait to see more
JCQuick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 09:19 PM   #33
DonTomas5150

Wow...Nice garage, I am jealous. It it bigger that my whole house.
DonTomas5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #34
kengoff

Very nice thanks for sharing.
kengoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM   #35
IMCA38

Wow, awesome looking place!

If I missed it someplace, I apologize, but I'd be interested in knowing the dimensions of the building as well as the enclosed rooms (and what each one is used for) and the storage loft.
IMCA38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #36
Vernmotor

Someone please turn off that green light on that tool box !! OMG..... Very nice garage
Old 03-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #37
Woffski

Very nice man!! Looks great, roomy and clean!!!
Woffski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:44 PM   #38
Aspen RT

Thats an awesome garage!
Old 03-22-2012, 11:33 PM   #39
volvo

You sir are blessed to have such a great caring wife and wonderful detailed master shop. Thank you for posting.
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM   #40
K2Orion

[QUOTE=GeorgiaHybrid;2191323]

[QUOTE]

As a dozer operator, this pic made me laugh. Grading rock for an apron with a dozer. Nothing like "cleaning out an ash tray with a snow shovel." LOL.

That is a LOT of dirt to level a yard. I hope the material was free and you only paid for hauling. But it looks good. Lots more useable yard now. The trees look like they might even survive.

Very nice shop, my only question: Why no attic trusses? My 24x32 has them and if I ever reuse all the small stuff I keep up there, it will pay for the the trusses 10x.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by K2Orion View Post
As a dozer operator, this pic made me laugh. Grading rock for an apron with a dozer. Nothing like "cleaning out an ash tray with a snow shovel." LOL.

That is a LOT of dirt to level a yard. I hope the material was free and you only paid for hauling. But it looks good. Lots more useable yard now. The trees look like they might even survive.

Very nice shop, my only question: Why no attic trusses? My 24x32 has them and if I ever reuse all the small stuff I keep up there, it will pay for the the trusses 10x.
K2, Good point on the little D3 dozer but what you don't see is me working on putting yet another set of bearings in the POS ASV undercarraige on the Cat 277 skid steer. You use what you have handy.....

The fill dirt was almost free as the neighbor up the hill was needing to dig into the hill to make room for a new pole barn and I needed fill dirt. It wound up costing me about $15 a load for the fill dirt. The top soil on the other hand was NOT free and damn near broke the bank.

The wife was worried about the height of the shop with almost 16' ceilings and a 6/12 roof pitch being to high relative to the house. With what we have, it looks in proportion to the house and doesn't stick out as much as she thought it would but I still have over 2,500 sq ft in an unfinished basement for storage that is a LOT easier to access than going up the pulldown attic stair.
Old 03-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #42
yogitech

Are there any completed/ current photos? I'm not seeing anything but blue squares on the first page....
yogitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:05 PM   #43
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogitech View Post
Are there any completed/ current photos? I'm not seeing anything but blue squares on the first page....
They should be showing up as they are just a link to photobucket.

Almost forgot the most important thing on the shop walls but did get them up before welding a firewood holder together for the neighbor tonight:

And on the walls:

And seeing as we finished after dark, I had to see what (23) 4', 4 bulb T8 fixtures looked like at night so I turned all of the bay lights on plus the mains:

Old 03-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #44
Boosted1
Alliance Member

Nice work and great looking garage.
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:37 PM   #45
aar0s

Wow, if my rebuild turns out half as good Ill be set. Nice work.
I have never seen a Brinks truck following a hearse yet. Just a thought.:)
aar0s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #46
rlwhitetr3b

You should post the night picture to this thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=70650
rlwhitetr3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:20 PM   #47
yogitech

That looks awesome, is that your private shop or business? Nice!
yogitech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 11:15 PM   #48
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogitech View Post
That looks awesome, is that your private shop or business? Nice!
Dad calls it my "retirement home". It is just there for my enjoyment and to work on the family cars and equipment as well as a few buddies of mine that might come over. My future son-in-law has his box there as well (that is his black GTO parked in the first bay).
Old 03-25-2012, 07:53 AM   #49
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Time to upgrade you PB account, everything has exceeded bandwidth. I can't see a damn thing.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 10:45 AM   #50
GeorgiaHybrid

Sorry about that, everything should be good to go now. Had to upgrade to Photobucket Pro.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #51
heynicebits

Amazing place man! Youll be having lots of fun there!
heynicebits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #52
Hottrod

Congrats, this is awesome at every level! Am super impressed at the thought that went into this, particularly with the electrics and lighting - I'm in a build right now, and would be really interested in the details of which fluorescents you went with and why.

Well done, just a super build, I am sure you're fully enjoying using it!

Last edited by Hottrod; 03-25-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: sent before completion
Hottrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:25 PM   #53
plewlandsbob

That is a superb garage and a very nice piece of property.
plewlandsbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:13 PM   #54
rmckee

Amazing build. Oddly, my favorite detail in all the photos was the fire extinguishers. Totally overlooked fact - when I build, I'll most likely be doing sprinklers.

Look forward to more pics when it's full of vehicles and projects! Any plans for decorating the walls (i.e. signs, photos, etc?)
rmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #55
Bib Overalls

A very impressive build. I don't know what you pay for a load of dirt in your neck of the woods but the math scares me.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:13 AM   #56
GeorgiaHybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bib Overalls View Post
A very impressive build. I don't know what you pay for a load of dirt in your neck of the woods but the math scares me.
It would have scared me also but we got a great deal on the dirt hauled down from the neighbor up the hill (free, he needed a dug out area for a pole barn) and paid by the hour instead of by the load for the equipment. Still cost a bunch but not NEAR as much as it would have. The top soil about broke the bank however as it was trucked from a place about 15 miles from here.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #57
westray

Love the build and work that you did.

I may have missed it but whats the ceiling height and door heights?
westray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 04:47 PM   #58
raging bull

Very Build, looks like a well stocked garage for all the projects.
raging bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 05:07 AM   #59
BUGTHUG

Do you have sasquach's, or just one?? Man that sure is purdy out there.
BUGTHUG is offline   Reply With Quote