Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #1
paris_tj

Default Need Some Help - "Service Tire Monitor System"

Well I have 2008 Chevy 1500 LTZ that has been great. Wife and I went to dinner Friday night and all was well. Woke up Saturday morning to go have breakfast with the family and my remote door lock remote would not work. I didn't think much of it, figured my 18 month old had got it and ran the battery down. Started to town to notice this "Service Tire Monitor System" message blinking in my dash. I talked to local shop and said $150 just to look at it.

So my question is, any auto guys here that might can help me figure this out and possibly fix? I am very mechanically include so I am not worried about that.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Gary S

Default Re: Need Some Help - "Service Tire Monitor System"

Unless you know how to fix this, you likely get to pay the dealer. This is just one of the joys of owning a newer vehicle. You get high maintenance costs along with high car payments.

My Son's Trailblazer did the same thing. He ended up paying the dealer to reset the malfunctioned electronics.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-26-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Herb

I don't know about Chevy's, but on VW's the majority of times when that light comes on one tire is low. Check that first.
Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
paris_tj

Nope tire not low. Normally when the are low it will show the actual psi. It now just shows R/F -- L/F --

I have checked the tires as well, 35psi all around.
Old 03-26-2012, 08:26 AM   #5
srmofo

1)check your tire pressures
2) I dont think that will be the fix, but when was the last time you did that.
3) either pony up the couple hundred bucks for the scan tool to identify what the problem is...most likely a dead sensor(around $100 installed)....or pay the dealer to fix it

If it is a dead battery on one of the sensors, I might recommend replacing all of them. THey are all the same age, with the same wear and tear, and will likely fail at about the same time.....you might be in this boat again, if not.

Another option is to find an independent shop with the correct tools, however we still charge $90 for the diag, plus the repair costs.
These bells and whistles are great until they need repaired
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
Terry454

You may have a bad Tire Pressure Monitor (sensor) in one of the wheels. There is a tool to check them (available for anywhere from $80 to $300). T his same tool will be needed to "relearn" the computer in yoru truck if it has lost the frequency of the wheel sensor. If you find purchase of that tool is cost prohibitive for you, any good tire shop should be able to do that for less money than the dealership.

The quote you got seems high, but the sensors can cost anywhere from $45 to $125 depending on the type of sensor and the source. An independent mechanic worth his salt will have this tool also. If it is a bad sensor in the wheel it (the sensor) will have to be replaced. They do go bad from time to time and the batteries in them are supposed to last anywhere from 7 to 10 years, so we can all expect more malfunctions as the sensors age.

You can all thank Ford & Firestone and the people who didn’t and don’t check their tire pressure for this “feature” of new cars. I know, don't tell me -- we should let Darwin take care of this "problem."

Terry
Terry454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
JimH

On this truck the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is the module that receives the signal from the key fob to lock/unlock the doors. It also picks up the signal for tire pressure from the sensors on the valve stems.

So if the RCDLR has issues, you will end up with the two symptoms you described.
JimH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:41 AM   #8
mercman1951

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris_tj View Post
I am very mechanically include so I am not worried about that.

Thanks in Advance.
Did you mean "Inclined"?

Sounds like the sensors (or A sensor) is going south...

Here are the steps to repair:

1) Remove dash cluster.

2) Procure a roll of black electrical tape.

3) Cut tape to fit over said warning light in dash.

4) Place tape over offending warning light.

5) Put dash back together.

6) Monitor your own tire pressures on your own time....
Old 03-26-2012, 09:45 AM   #9
paris_tj

I agree with the black tape, but I like my Remote Door Locks and auto start in the winter, not that Texas is having a winter this year. As bad as I hate to, looks like I will drop[ $150 and see what the say. I don't have the cash probably to fix it, but maybe I can find out what it will cost and fix it later.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #10
onewaydave

Quote:
You can all thank Ford & Firestone and the people who didn’t and don’t check their tire pressure
They (the above) only brought the issue to fruition. Congress made it a law.

Dave.
What do the CIA, FBI, NSA, Pentagon, White House, Microsoft, Apple, VA, ATT, Chase, Bank of America, Target,Walmart, Sony Play Station, the Justice Department and I have in common? We've all been hacked. Mostly by 16 year olds or the Chinese.
onewaydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
SGKent

based on what I have seen in Acura's, a reset of the entire system might be appropriate because more than one thing malfunctioned. When that happens in an Acura it is often the battery failing even though it may still start the car. The average life of a car battery with normal use is about 4 years and you are there so I would pull the battery out and have it tested. When you come back and install it that should reset everything to defaults. Be sure to have any radio and GPS codes that might be needed to rearm the audio etc.

Best Wishes - Merlin
SGKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:11 AM   #12
Eagle Point

Make sure and check the spare tire pressure, some also have a sensor in it.
Eagle Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 02:41 PM   #13
Northstar

your tire pressure sensor is # 20923680, retail is $72.44. Assuming it is that, figure whatever it is for a tire shop to break the bead, replace it, reseat it, and rebalance it. Probably $20 or less.

Did it tell you which tire specifically? Might be something else since your remote also would not work, like the keyless remote receiver which also would receive the signal from the TPMS's. I believe that is located in the back of the cab in the roof area. Part number depends on exactly which keyless remote option code you have but it they run just under $95.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM   #14
Dale01

i doubt all four tire pressure failed at the same time.Your driver info center indicates a lost signal plus the key fob failure, I think JimH is close.Whats it worth to you ? Tps systems will alert you of a low pressure before damage is done to the tire/wheel, they are more expensive than a electronic repair
Dale01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #15
fourjeepin

I had an '07 Tahoe which gave the tire pressure message once. Researched it for a few days and it resolved itself. Very strange. Anyway, the computer won't tell you which tire has the issue. Sounds like your issue is with the module, not the tire pressure sensor in the tire.
fourjeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #16
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

It's not an individual sensor as you've lost values for all four wheels. GM doesn't place sensors in spares as a cost saving measure. As someone pointed out, the door module controls tpms on this vehicle. You could try relearning your TPMS system if it will take. No special tool is needed and you can refer to the book of forbidden verses called the owner's manual for more information. basically, turn the key on engine off and enter tpms relean mode by pressing and holding the both lock/unlock buttons simultaneously until the horn honks. starting with the lf wheel, let 10-15 lbs of air out until the horn honks. Proceed to the rf wheel and repeat, then rr wheel, and lastly the left rear wheel. The horn should honk, then honk twice if the relearn was successful once you're finished with the left rear wheel.. Please note that since you're letting ai out of the tires, you want to do this where you can access compressed air and remember to inflate all of your tire to the spec listed on the decal in your door jam. If the horn doesn't honk when letting air out of the LF tire, you have module/communication issues so, visit a GM dealer for repair by factory tranined technicians.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:11 PM   #17
Mowerpan

I can tell you it is the RCDLR like stated above. Here is a bulletin about a similar concern however not your situation. Certain times we have had to reprogram the RCDLR and others it required replacement. But try this first.

#PIT3928C: Keyless Entry Inoperative And Service Tire Monitor System Message - keywords door pressure RCDLR remote RKE tire TPM - (Dec 26, 2007)
Subject: Keyless Entry Inoperative and Service Tire Monitor System Message

Models: 2007-2008 Cadillac Escalade, ESV, EXT
2007-2008 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 GMC Sierra, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3928B.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

You may experience a vehicle where the Keyless Entry is Inoperative and a "Service Tire Monitor System" message displaying on the DIC. Two Issues may have caused this concern.
1. Anytime any module is SPS programmed on a vehicle.
2. Last Minute Modifications to a vehicle leaving the plant causing the vehicle to be delivered with the RCDLR in the lock up state.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If you experience this concern on a vehicle that was just delivered to the dealership or recently had a module that was SPS programmed, please do not replace the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) to resolve this concern.

To resolve this concern, Remove the (10 amp) DSM fuse for 20 seconds and then reinstall and recheck for the condition.

Note: The DSM fuse is located in the I/P fusebox.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Last edited by Mowerpan; 03-26-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Mowerpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #18
Greatbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimH View Post
On this truck the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) is the module that receives the signal from the key fob to lock/unlock the doors. It also picks up the signal for tire pressure from the sensors on the valve stems.

So if the RCDLR has issues, you will end up with the two symptoms you described.
This is the first area to check for your trouble.
Greatbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #19
RobSmith

Send a message via Yahoo to RobSmith

Does the remote have a battery ? Is that going flat ?
RobSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #20
paris_tj

All fixed now...$175 later....

A wire was broke under the door sill going to the RCDLRM. It was not getting any power so that was why my remotes and tire sensors stopped working.