Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
tpolley

Default challenger ratchet score

after 20 years i finally got my dads challenger ratchets. 1060D, 1260D, and 1660D the sockets are long gone but all i wanted was the ratchets anyway. they aren't quick release but i don't care about that. i just like the thumb wheel. they don't say they're made in usa but i would swear they are.

i don't know how old they are but i remember using them as a kid in the late 80's early 90's before i got my own craftsman set. they used to be in a red blow molded case that stunk to high heaven. i never thought dad would come off of them. i never really asked. saturday he said he was going to northern tool to buy a taiwanese quick release ratchet that was on sale for $5.99. i said "why? whats wrong with your challengers??" he said "i hate those damn things. i want a qr ratchet." i said, shit, i've always wanted these ratchets. i have a set of harbor freight qr ratchets i've hardly used, i'll trade you" "deal"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG1916.jpg (138.6 KB, 153 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1917.jpg (138.2 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG1918.jpg (132.6 KB, 90 views)
tpolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:02 AM   #2
4x4gearhead

Default Re: challenger ratchet score

Its always good to get what you want! I would have traded also, even though they have no warranty they are still good ratchets.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
cj7365

My first socket set was a craftsman, which came with a ratchet with a thumb wheel, I bought it in 1986, last year I needed to go to sears to trade some tools out, I brought the ratchet with the thumb wheel, because it skips a couple of teeth, but the guy at sears days he didnt have the rebuild kit for that ratchet, he would of exchanged it for a new one, but I refused, I kept it, I try not too use it as much, but really like the thumb wheel, I wil pass it along to my son, when im ready

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861
cj7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:27 AM   #4
tpolley

now ifi could just find an old 1/4 drive craftsman raised panel from the 70's or 80's, the kind with the big g.d. slector on the back. some of them had an oiler on the top of the head, some didn't. my collection would be complete. at least for now.
tpolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 11:39 AM   #5
SMKS

Not to burst your bubble, but those are made in Taiwan most likely.

They still make a very similar version, but they're now branded Blackhawk.
http://www.stanleyproto.com/default....et+Renewal+Kit

The ones I have got in the past were marked "assembled in the USA with foreign components."

Also, you'll see this same style of ratchet produced for many different brands, including Craftsman, Husky and others. They're almost never marked "USA." I've only seen one or two Husky ones that were marked "USA." I believe those were some of the tools that got Stanley in trouble for marking non-USA tools with "USA."

I'm not saying they're bad ratchets, but I don't think they're made in the USA.
SMKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:22 PM   #6
Holt

Sounds to me like he wanted the challanger ratchets more out of nostalgia. I'm not a big fan of sk ratchets but when I grew up my Dad gave me his little box. Had a ratchet, sockets and extensions. I love the sockets and I dont use this kit hard. This is something I will pass on to my son when I have one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haveblue View Post
The greatest mysteries of mankind are being discussed here, toilets,time travel, UFOs..and most importantly BACON!!!:D
Holt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #7
SCscoutguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4gearhead View Post
Its always good to get what you want! I would have traded also, even though they have no warranty they are still good ratchets.
Who told you they have no warranty? I have never had a problem warrantying any Challenger tool. You just get the Blackhawk equivalent back. Those ratchets are imported but that doesn't make them bad as they are actually decent tools.
SCscoutguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #8
cj7365

as you can see these have been used alot, and are still my favorite
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ratchet.jpg (129.7 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg ratchet1.jpg (122.7 KB, 27 views)

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861
cj7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 08:22 AM   #9
thetreshon

if they aren't US made, that kinda stinks like the blowmold case, if if they were US made, I would tell you to trash the $5.99 Harbour Freight ratchet he's planning to buy and thank him for passing on those Challenger ratchets to you, by buying him a U.S. made SK ratchet (or Wright or Armstrong etc.).

Would hate to see him have given you THREE U.S. made ratchets, and end up with a $5.99 foreign ratchet...(BUT that's only if they were U.S. made....)
thetreshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #10
4x4gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy View Post
Who told you they have no warranty? I have never had a problem warrantying any Challenger tool. You just get the Blackhawk equivalent back. Those ratchets are imported but that doesn't make them bad as they are actually decent tools.
I was always told they carried no warranty, I suppose I stand corrected, thats good to know as I have thrown a couple things in the garbage
Old 04-23-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
Gort the giant robot

I picked up a Challenger / Proto 1260 D 3/8 drive ratchet at the flea market yesterday. I recently bought a very clean 1/4--3/8 drive Challenger boxed set, but it had a Proto pear head 3/8 ratchet instead of the Challenger ratchet. The ratchet I bought yesterday is still not correct for the set. It won't fit in the plastic tray. The boxed Challenger set is marked Challenger only. The 1260D ratchet is marked Challenger / Proto as noted above. as soon as I find the correct ratchet for the set, I will sell the set.

Gort.

Gort the giant robot.
Gort the giant robot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:09 PM   #12
House Sparrow

I would have snagged them, too. I think you got the much better end of the deal, but Dad got what he wanted so everyone is happy.

I have a set of Proto Challenger 3/8 metric hex bit sockets that I bought in 1997 or 98. I use them often, have beaten on them with impact drivers and air guns, had the huge 1/2" breaker bar on them, and have yet to break one. The USA Challenger tools were great.
House Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 11:56 PM   #13
Hank McMauser

find your Dad & yourself each a RHFT craftsman ratchet made in USA, quick release,and has the thumbwheel too (though it's on the underside)
Also, contrary to what you'll be told at sears they can get the rebuild kits for the RHFT ratchets still, they usually just don't know they are available

wtb/trade for :
US made NAPA tools.

Last edited by Hank McMauser; 04-23-2012 at 11:58 PM.
Hank McMauser is offline   Reply With Quote