Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-05-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
86k10

Default Largest tank for 120v air compressor?

I got a NAPA Hot Deals catalog today from our representative today and they had a 60 gallon 120v air compressor in it for about $550 or so.

Is a 60 gallon 2hp compressor going to be overworked and short lived vs. a 30 gallon with the same set up? Or could your standard 2hp/cast iron pump that was on a 30 gallon be mounted on a 60 with the same life span if used the same amount it is on the 30 gallon?

I was just curious since I never seen a 120v on a 60 gallon before.
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:16 PM   #2
Davefr

Default Re: Largest tank for 120v air compressor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86k10 View Post
I got a NAPA Hot Deals catalog today from our representative today and they had a 60 gallon 120v air compressor in it for about $550 or so.

Is a 60 gallon 2hp compressor going to be overworked and short lived vs. a 30 gallon with the same set up? Or could your standard 2hp/cast iron pump that was on a 30 gallon be mounted on a 60 with the same life span if used the same amount it is on the 30 gallon?

I was just curious since I never seen a 120v on a 60 gallon before.
It all depends on the air consumption and duty cycle of the tools used.

I can do pneumatic stapling all day long with my little Hitachi Twin Stack and it'll hardly ever have to recharge.

However if I do sanding using my Sioux 15 CFM DA sander it'll work my 5 HP/60 gallon IR compressor almost to meltdown.

Last edited by Davefr; 04-05-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-05-2012, 08:22 PM   #3
2mJps

This is a good ?? I have thought about it alot most people think you need a lot of volume. But when you get low on presser it takes longer to build up.
2mJps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:32 PM   #4
great white tj

I have two 60gal. tanks, each one has the pump and motor from 30gal tanks. I have had this set up for the better part of 2 years now and each one is working fine. My air up time from a empty tank is about 10min. I have a shut off psi of 135psi on each and a restart of about 90psi.. I have about $130.00in the two tanks, I picked them at a local sale here in Ocala one tank was made in 2007 and the other was 2010, I had one 30gal. comp. that I used and the other was given to me, I think I have about $375.oo in these two comp.
great white tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
great white tj

These two comp. are 120volt.
great white tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
venturesomerite

I have a 30 gal one, works fine with my impact. Won't be running an impact non stop for an hour or anything, but It works great for when I rebuilt my front end of my super duty, and pretty much anything else I need. About the only thing I wouldn't bother to try and use it with is an air sander or spray gun.

My 1956 Ford Victoria Build Thread
venturesomerite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:08 PM   #7
larry_g

Tank size has little to do with it. What wears out the compressor is the amount of air you compress. Now if your the kind of person that drains the tank when you done with it for the weekend and then fills it to pump up juniors bike tire once in a while then your going to see a lot of wear for the work you get. If you are running a high consumption tool a lot then tank size perty much falls out of the equation as the pump will be running near a 100% of the time so the wear is now fully dependent on tool usage.

lg
no neat sig line

Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
larry_g is offline   Reply With Quote