Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-21-2005, 10:58 PM   #1
plepper
Certified Garage Junkie

Default Wiring for detached shop

I'm finishing up my shop and need to wire from my house to the shop I got two ways to go
1. House has 2 200 amp panels with a 2'' pvc duct to the shop (200' run).
2. install a new meter base and run power from that.

If I run from the house panels to a sub panel (100 amp) in the shop what size wire should I use ( only 1 240 outlet for welder 50 amp) I was thinking #1 awg with #6 ground.Cost for the wire will be about $400.00 from HD any ideas to get a better deal? Inital savings with a new service could be a lot less but the monthly rate could offset after a period of time, so how about some opions?
plepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2005, 03:12 AM   #2
TOMWELDS
Garageaholic

Since you already have a 200amp meter and 2" pipe, why dont you go with a 200amp service? Granted, it is more money for the wire (i'd suggest 3/0 CU) and more work pulling. If you go with 100amp, I would use 1/0 on the 2 hot legs, #4 on the neutral and #6 ground.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-22-2005, 05:59 PM   #3
byrdman

cost-analyze it. If the separate meter will cost you say 20% more per KWH every month(plus a meter fee?), how long would it take to exceed the additional cost of running power from the house? Do you plan on using your shop that long?

I had the same basic decision to make. It will take me another 5-6 years before the higher installation cost pays for itself in KWH savings, faster if I start using more juice. I ran power from the house.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:00 AM   #4
muddy

Default not hijacking..........

Not hijacking thread, just adding to it.............
I'm going to be doing the same real soon........for those of you that are up on electrical..........what are the good choices on running electric cable from house to a 100 amp in shop? I'm asking about cable sizes/brand/etc.
Also for cable t.v., phone line,etc........anything new out there that should be mentioned?
What about cable size from the service panel in shop to a welder and to an air compressor? It's been awhile for me so thought the pointers would be helpful.
Thanks in advance........ Keith
muddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2005, 03:37 PM   #5
Ken Greene

cable TV and phone. I use only RG6 quad sheilded for cable runs in todays world of HD and Digital cable its really a must. phone i use cat5e for this it provides the ability of up to 4 lines to where ever your going with it.
i would sugest 2 runs of rg6 and three for cat5 that will give you a spare incase you want survalence cameras on the coax and on the cat5 you get one for phone/intercom one for network (think highspeed internet access) and a spare for whatever.
also when running these lines keep them at least 12" away from and power feeds and if you must cross a power line to it at 90 degrees.

I think that basiclly covers it
Ken Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
byrdman

I had a ~125 ft run from my house to the shop. I separated all my low voltage stuff from power by 2-3 feet(two trenches), and ran it through black plastic water pipe as a conduit. When I pulled my RG6, cat5e, and telephone through the water pipe, I also pulled through a pull cord in case I ever want to run another line of some sort through there.

Here's the view at the house before I pulled the cables:
Old 09-24-2005, 10:51 AM   #7
bmwpower
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to bmwpower Send a message via Yahoo to bmwpower

That dirt looks like cocoa powder.
bmwpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2005, 12:31 AM   #8
TOMWELDS
Garageaholic

Will the electric be in gray electrical PVC?