Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Mikea57

Default Double wide gate in a privacy fence

About 4 years ago I had my 6' privacy fence rebuilt by a local guy and boy was that ever money wasted. Cheap lumber, verrrrrrry questionable employees, and basically just a crappy job. One of the worst things are the 2 gates, one on each side of the house. One is 10' wide and the other is about 7' wide. After only 4 years they both have been beat by the wind and are sagging to the point where I'm going to have to rebuild them.

I'm wondering about different gate designs that others have used when they built (or had built) privacy fences. Is there a design that works better, doesn't sag, and lasts longer than other designs? What about metal frames for wooden gates like the Adjust-a-Gate from www.hooverfence.com? Do they work? That one looks pretty solid but I'm sure it'll be expensive.

I just want a gate that will last and won't sag. Does anybody have any good ideas?
Mikea57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #2
ratdoggy

Default Re: Double wide gate in a privacy fence

I used something similar. Bought it from Northern Toll. It works great.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 PM   #3
DodgeZ

I built a couple frames out of the top pole used in chain length fence. Cut it, welded it and attached a whole fence panel on it. It has been good so far but only about a year and a half.
DodgeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 03:46 PM   #4
Kevin54

If you build your own gate, build it with some cable and turnbuckles or all-thread and turnbuckles so you can adjust it to take the droop out of it when necessary. You may also want to think about putting double gates in instead of one wide gate (2) 5' gates vs. (1) 10' gate.

You might want to look into something like this http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm

Last edited by Kevin54; 04-11-2012 at 03:52 PM.
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
rsanter

When I did the one for the last house I made the gate frame out of sq tubing and used a 4" pipe to hinge it from
The wood was attached with self tappers

Bob
Old 04-11-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
volvo

The only way to go, just used these for a 12 wide car gate for a new wood fence.Works very great and available at the big box stores, farm supply, ace etc. Just shop for the best price est
$35-45 on sale.That is what I paid each for four late winter before the better spring sun came out. I had purchased the same for $59 but took them back for exchange. Can be done,just keep an eye out and be frugal.I still have one left over I can no longer use.

http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm

Last edited by volvo; 04-12-2012 at 09:58 AM.
volvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #7
Mikea57

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo View Post
...Just shop for the best price est
$35-45.

http://www.hooverfence.com/woodfence/ag.htm
Really? Just $35-$45?? I would have thought they'd go for over a hundred! I'll definitely check them out. Wish Tractor Supply had them...
Mikea57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:09 AM   #8
Falcon67

TSC has farm gates that you could attach your wood to, which is an option.

<a href=http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg target=_blank>http://raceabilene.com/misc/NewShop/ShopIcon.jpg</a>
Click to view my GJ build thread
Falcon67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
danfromsyr

I have a large fenced in area (corral of sorts) to tuck my extra cars behind..
I have double gate "fence" doors that are 7ft tall and near 8ft wide each
I use 3 HD 6" strap hinges per door to a 4x6 post

anyways I build a basic square lumber frame in the garage on the floor.
I use PT plywood triangles to help keep the corners tight.. inside & out..
and the one long diagonal inner brace goes from the outer most top corner back to the bottom. this transfers the hanging weight to the lower hinge.. and anything below the diagonal inner brace hangs off that weight wise..

very similiar to the build in this post
http://www.buildeazy.com/newplans/gate_double_1.html

I use non-treated lumber as they are high & dry, but use materials of your choice.. PT is heavier when fresh & wet though..
danfromsyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:43 PM   #10
kbs2244

Look into a sliding gate.
kbs2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #11
diy_not

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikea57 View Post
About 4 years ago I had my 6' privacy fence rebuilt by a local guy and boy was that ever money wasted. Cheap lumber, verrrrrrry questionable employees, and basically just a crappy job. One of the worst things are the 2 gates, one on each side of the house. One is 10' wide and the other is about 7' wide. After only 4 years they both have been beat by the wind and are sagging to the point where I'm going to have to rebuild them.

I'm wondering about different gate designs that others have used when they built (or had built) privacy fences. Is there a design that works better, doesn't sag, and lasts longer than other designs? What about metal frames for wooden gates like the Adjust-a-Gate from www.hooverfence.com? Do they work? That one looks pretty solid but I'm sure it'll be expensive.

I just want a gate that will last and won't sag. Does anybody have any good ideas?
poor workmanship is the worst pet hate ever, i absolutely hate cowboys! i spend a lot of time between the UK and US myself but i have had to get some gates replaced recently, it depends what you wanna pay really, you can build it yourself with tools and materials from a home depo or Costco probably. i cant build for dust, i got my wooden gates from those guys. they are more pricey than building it yourself but for peace of mind it might be worth a punt. i also know a guy who deals in logistics so it actually didn't work out that bad for me in the end.
also i need an new engine block building for my old school chevy, i know this is off topic but do you guys know anywhere around the Oregon area that i can go?

thanks
diy_not is offline   Reply With Quote