Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
kywildcat

Default Dodge Ram vent problems

I just bought a 03 Dodge Ram, and no air is coming out of any vents. I can hear the fan motor running, and some (VERY LITTLE) air is coming out the defrost vent. The AC condensor is wet and cold, and the air seeping out the defroster vent is good and cold........just not any volume. Anybody ever delt with anything like this?
kywildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
purplezr2

Default Re: Dodge Ram vent problems

broken blend doors are not uncommon,seach for it.
purplezr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #3
adamsredlines

Yep, need new blend doors.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
GirlnAgarage

^ umhm + 3blend doors

My Garage: Reorganization, it's like a renovation
GirlnAgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:35 AM   #5
Mmfh

What about a vacuum leak under the dash, vacuum that pulls door open?
Old 04-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #6
kywildcat

Is this a DIY type thing, or do I need a dealer?? I'm not real good at this kind of stuff, but I can muddle through a lot of things!!!
Old 04-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #7
aandpdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmfh View Post
What about a vacuum leak under the dash, vacuum that pulls door open?
It should be electrically operated not vacuum.
aandpdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #8
adamsredlines

Its not a fun project, takes some effort to get to it without disassembling the entire dash.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
Tarheelgarage

Check to make sure you don't have a plastic grocery bag sucked into the bottom air intake side of the duct work; this would affect airflow on the MAX AC setting.
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
G_P

Mice could have made a nest in the HVAC system.
G_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 01:02 PM   #11
metaldad

http://heatertreater.net/Ram%2002-08%20Listing.html
there are multiple videos on utube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAclL84Qq8E
metaldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #12
dolfans

Look at www.dodgetalk.com it is a very good forum and maybe they can give you some help also
dolfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:35 PM   #13

Location: Nomad-Atlanta, Little Rock and other points of interest

The blend doors are operated by eletric servo motors, no vacuum is involved. The doors are plastic and the plastic axle/hinge becomes brittle over time/use and eventually breaks. When this happens the door drops to a downward position and closes the duct. Sometimes the servo motors will get stuck and the plastic case pop open having the same effect (door closes). Read the "heater treater" guide linked above. I dropped $2500 to two different Dodge dealers trying to get the same problem fixed on my 2002. Finally I found the "heater treater" info and figured out how the system worked. I didn't buy their metal doors, I made my own. I've found that these transistion 2002-2003 Dodges have three common problems with the heating system. The radiators are plastic and eventually will start leaking. Replace with an aftermarket aluminum radiator and you will not have any more problems. It was also cheaper then the OE plastic radiator. The expansion tank cracks around the cap, check it with soapy water, if your's is cracked, just replace it. This seems to happen when a pressure test is performed...so beware. Finally the heater core is prone to failure. It will either clog or leak..if it clogs you won't have any heat but the good news is the vehicle will not overheat. If it leaks it may or may not be visable, watch your coolant. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
kywildcat

All good info guys, Thank's! I've watched videos and read articles, and this isn't something I can do. Look's like I'm going to have a shell out some cash for this one!!
Old 04-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
kywildcat

Just pulled 3 little screws out of the blower motor under the dash, and unplugged two wires. The motor came right out, and laying across the top of the hole was a door. I had to do a lot of wiggling to get it out, but its OUT. I have air coming through all vents, defroster, and floor. AC and both work great. I may have lost the re-circulating feature.......but thats 100% better than what I had. Total time: 20 minutes!!!!!
Old 04-17-2012, 12:17 AM   #16
Tarheelgarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 555 View Post
The blend doors are operated by eletric servo motors, no vacuum is involved. The doors are plastic and the plastic axle/hinge becomes brittle over time/use and eventually breaks. When this happens the door drops to a downward position and closes the duct. Sometimes the servo motors will get stuck and the plastic case pop open having the same effect (door closes). Read the "heater treater" guide linked above. I dropped $2500 to two different Dodge dealers trying to get the same problem fixed on my 2002. Finally I found the "heater treater" info and figured out how the system worked. I didn't buy their metal doors, I made my own. I've found that these transistion 2002-2003 Dodges have three common problems with the heating system. The radiators are plastic and eventually will start leaking. Replace with an aftermarket aluminum radiator and you will not have any more problems. It was also cheaper then the OE plastic radiator. The expansion tank cracks around the cap, check it with soapy water, if your's is cracked, just replace it. This seems to happen when a pressure test is performed...so beware. Finally the heater core is prone to failure. It will either clog or leak..if it clogs you won't have any heat but the good news is the vehicle will not overheat. If it leaks it may or may not be visable, watch your coolant. Good luck.
While not heating related, you can expect the evaporator to leak in those as well.....big time bucks to replace.
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #17
Dust

Send a message via AIM to Dust

The recirculation door breaking is a common issue on that vintage truck, and there is an updated part available. I like getting them at my shop because even though the dash has to come off to replace it's not that bad of a job, and providing I'm not interrupted I can usually make time on it. The only thing I don't like about them is if I have to disconnect the heater hoses.
Dust is offline   Reply With Quote