Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2008, 04:21 PM   #1
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Default Auto Dealer Closing News

Photo by Sherill Summer
Sherill Summer 23.JAN.08
bWEBSTER – Larsen Auto Center in Webster, known as Larsen Chevrolet, is closing Feb. 1, after nearly 34 years in business.

All Webster employees will be transferred to the Frederic location. The building at the corner of Main Street and Hwy. 35 will be for sale as of this week.

Terry Larsen bought the Chevrolet dealership from Dick Daniels during his final year at UW – Superior and started work only one week after graduation in May of 1974. Possibly this career path was a natural, since his father owned a Chevrolet dealership in Grantsburg, and he learned the business from the bottom up when he was growing up.

He has made a success of it, operating the only authorized dealership in eastern Burnett County and purchasing or building four additional locations outside of Webster in the years since.

The first dealership that Larsen purchased outside of Webster was the Auto Center in Frederic in 1992. Larsen explained that the Frederic dealership offered a larger service department, body shop and more makes of vehicles than the Webster location. As a result, many of the Webster customers began doing business in Frederic. Although the area supported more than one location for about 16 years, in the end, it became too expensive to duplicate tools, equipment, inventory, facilities and employees only 20 miles apart in these small communities. Even so, Larsen considered the decision to close the Webster location, “a hard decision.”

Although the Webster location is closing, Larsen is still committed to operating in northwestern Wisconsin. He is asking that all car buyers think about parts, service, location and the community when looking for a vehicle. “If you ever have a problem, it is a long way to the Cities, and it takes a lot of time and gas.” He takes this thought further by asking all to consider shopping in your local area when buying hardware, groceries or any other purchase to keep your dollar at home where it will circulate and be of a benefit to the community.

”Remember your local merchants are making the donations, paying taxes, have children in the local schools and are creating jobs so families can stay and live in northwestern Wisconsin.”

Larsen would like to take the opportunity on this somber occasion to thank the many loyal customers in Webster. He hopes that he can still serve these customers in the other location. “Stop in and take a test drive, you will be surprised at the quality and dependability of the new American cars. You won’t be pressured and can enjoy the buying experience.”

Larsen and his family will continue to live in Webster and support and enjoy the Webster area.
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 04:23 PM   #2
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Default Re: Auto Dealer Closing News

Hurt by the public's negative image of American cars, Bud Wolf Chevrolet will close its dealership at 5350 N. Keystone Ave.

New-car sales will stop at the end of this month, and the used-car inventory will be sold off soon after, co-owner Andy Wolf said Wednesday.
"They've all gotta go. You don't normally believe that line, but it's true here," Wolf said.
He blames the closing of the 36-year-old dealership in part on "people's perceptions of American cars. It's not the cool thing to be driving an American car."
"It's the end of a long line," said Wolf, who followed his father and grandfather into the car business after getting out of college in the mid-1970s. "I'm not making any money."
A large jump last year in property taxes in Marion County took a toll on car sales, too, he said.
"Our service literally dive-bombed the day they announced the tax increase," he said. New-car sales last year fell 25 percent from 2006, he said.
Wolf let the dealership's 50 employees know of the closing last week. "It's one of the most difficult decisions of my life," he said. "We've got a lot of upset people."
Old 01-23-2008, 04:24 PM   #3
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

A lot of things have changed since 1927.

Stamps cost a bit more than 2 cents these days and the Red Sox have managed to end the championship drought that was only just beginning back then.

And in Hyannis, the Everett H. Corson car dealership is closing its doors after doing business in Southeastern Massachusetts for more than 80 years.

"I will be heading west," said owner Rodney Corson, whose retirement precipitated the closing of the dealership. "But I will be returning in the summer to enjoy beautiful Cape Cod."

The dealership, which sold Cadillacs and Jeeps, has ceased new car sales and is in the process of liquidating its used car inventory, said Corson, whose father founded the dealership.

"We've got some good deals," said Corson, an Osterville resident. "At the rate it's going, I might not have any (cars) left in 10 days."

New Cadillac sales have been taken over by Hyannis Saab in South Yarmouth, which has already changed its name to Cadillac-Saab of Cape Cod.

Premier Jeep in Sandwich has acquired the Jeep franchise.

"(They) are just thrilled to have the additional franchises," said Paula Pavao, spokeswoman for both Cadillac-Saab of Cape Cod and Premier Jeep. "They are both welcoming the new customers."

Both dealerships have hired a few former Corson employees to work in their service and parts departments, said Pavao.

Hyannis Toyota, which is located next door to the Corson dealership, will take over the vacated facilities in order to expand its operations.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:26 PM   #4
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

A decision by Ford Motor Co. to close dealerships across the nation has affected Los Angeles County, with six branches making plans to shut down in the past year.

While all major auto companies have suffered from declining sales, both nationally and locally, Ford has been particularly hurt.

Earlier this month, data gathered by the Autodata Corp. revealed that Toyota surpassed Ford in U.S. auto sales for the first time ever, finishing behind General Motors as the second-best seller.

In Southern California, new-auto sales for all companies declined by about 8 percent in 2007, while Ford's numbers declined about 21 percent, according to numbers compiled by the Southland Motor Car Dealers Association.

In eastern Los Angeles County, Ford dealership closures may be taken advantage of by Toyota, which has two dealers ready to take over space vacated by Ford in Claremont and Whittier.

Todd Leutheuser, of Southland Motor Car Dealers Association, said that Ford's troubles had a lot to do with not having strong compact models with good gas efficiency.

"Ford's strength has been in the Midwest, where pickups and trucks sell better, not here in Southern California," said Leutheuser.
Old 01-23-2008, 04:29 PM   #5
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

not all grim
Strong demand for the new Chevrolet Malibu has fueled plans to add about 300 jobs at the General Motors Corp.’s Fairfax plant this spring.

Production-line speed will increase from the current 47 vehicles an hour to 59 in April, said Jeff Manning, president of United Auto Workers Local 31.

That will create about 300 positions on the production line, virtually all of which will be filled by transfers from closed GM or Delphi Corp. plants, said John Melton, Local 31 bargaining chairman.

The midsized car has been selling well in a sluggish auto market amid positive industry reviews.

On Sunday, the Malibu was crowned “Car of the Year” at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit. Last year, the Saturn Aura, which also is built at the Fairfax plant, was bestowed the top honor. The award is given by a committee of automotive journalists.

Including skilled trades workers, the plant will have about 2,700 hourly employees on two shifts once production is increased, Melton said.

When combined with the salaried workforce, the Fairfax plant will have about 2,900 employees, said Linda Heater, a Fairfax plant spokeswoman. Plant employment has ranged between 2,000 and 2,300 in recent years.

Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager, said the goal with the new Malibu was to compete with the top sellers among midsize cars.

“Customers are getting that message because the new Malibus are selling faster than we can put them in dealers’ lots,” he said in a statement.

The auto show award is validation for GM as it tries to assert itself in the midsize passenger-car market, which has been dominated for years by the likes of the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

“It’s a great deal,” Manning said. “A lot of hard work went into the new Malibu, and we were able to match what we did last year with the Aura.”

The Malibu is “easily as good as anything near its price and better than most,” said Gary Witzenburg, a freelance automotive journalist and one of the award’s jurors.

The new Malibu began production in mid-October and didn’t reach dealer showrooms until November. In December, when the overall industry saw a sales decline, GM sold 12,172 Malibus, nearly 7 percent more than it did in the same month in 2006.

The Malibu initially was produced exclusively at the Fairfax plant, which has been on an overtime schedule. Melton said brisk sales prompted GM to build new Malibus in recent weeks at its Orion, Mich., factory. That plant primarily makes the Pontiac G6 sedan.

Malibu’s sales figures continue to be dwarfed by the most popular Japanese midsize cars. Toyota sold nearly 39,000 Camrys in December, while Honda sold more than 31,000 Accords in the United States.

Notably, though, Toyota sold 708 fewer Camrys last month compared with December 2006. The Malibu, meanwhile, gained in sales by 766 cars.

Although foreign automakers continue to enjoy the reputation for building quality vehicles, industry analysts have observed that domestic car companies are closing the gap. Being presented car of the year awards at the Detroit auto show in consecutive years reinforces that belief for GM.

“The back-to-back wins really say a lot about our commitment to quality and our workforce,” said Heater regarding the Fairfax plant. “Knowing that the award for the Malibu is our second straight makes it that much more gratifying.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 01-23-2008, 07:16 PM   #6
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
Hurt by the public's negative image of American cars, Bud Wolf Chevrolet will close its dealership at 5350 N. Keystone Ave.

New-car sales will stop at the end of this month, and the used-car inventory will be sold off soon after, co-owner Andy Wolf said Wednesday.
"They've all gotta go. You don't normally believe that line, but it's true here," Wolf said.
He blames the closing of the 36-year-old dealership in part on "people's perceptions of American cars. It's not the cool thing to be driving an American car."
"It's the end of a long line," said Wolf, who followed his father and grandfather into the car business after getting out of college in the mid-1970s. "I'm not making any money."
A large jump last year in property taxes in Marion County took a toll on car sales, too, he said.
"Our service literally dive-bombed the day they announced the tax increase," he said. New-car sales last year fell 25 percent from 2006, he said.
Wolf let the dealership's 50 employees know of the closing last week. "It's one of the most difficult decisions of my life," he said. "We've got a lot of upset people."
wow! i dont see a news about Bud Wolf dealership that went out of business... my work (Crossroads Chrysler/ Jeep and Mercury/Lincoln) are located near indianapolis as less than one mile north from south I-465. i don't see how is my work doing?? both service depts are busy and other time not...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM   #7
PAToyota

Send a message via AIM to PAToyota

Forbes Chevrolet will close
Posted by Dan Miller/The Patriot-News October 05, 2007 16:52PM

The Forbes Chevrolet dealership on Hartzdale Drive in Lower Allen Twp. is about to close.

George Forbes, 72, owner of the company, is retiring, says William Costopoulos, a lawyer representing Forbes and the dealership.

Costopoulos expects the dealership to close in about 10 days. Customers will be served until then, after which they will be referred to Sutliff Chevrolet on the east shore and Lawrence Chevrolet on the West Shore.

The move will urther consolidate Chevrolet dealers in the midstate, as Costopoulos said General Motors has decided that "there's not going to be another Chevrolet dealership moving into that location." In March, Chevrolet of Hershey was closed as part of GM's strategy to trim the number of its dealerships nationally.

GM and Chevrolet officials could not be reached for comment.

However, GM's' action would not prohibit the property from reopening as another car dealership under another car maker. "That door is very much open," Costopoulos said.

Costopoulos said Forbes Chevrolet has about 60 employees, several of whom have worked with Forbes more than 30 years. The employees were being notified of the closure this afternoon, Costopoulos said.

Costopoulos described Forbes as "an icon" who first started selling cars in the midstate under a Chevrolet franchise in Marysville in the late 1960s. Forbes moved to Lemoyne, then expanded to the Hartzdale Drive location more than 20 years ago, Costopoulos said.
PAToyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
Zeroek

Send a message via AIM to Zeroek Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroek

I'm not liking all these dealership closings. I work at one. hmm
Zeroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 08:09 PM   #9
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

23 years in the service dept , a lot of my former gm shops I worked at are dead and buried , leasing killed the service departments , which ended up killing the whole dealer , in some cases , the hated mechanics actually keeps the whole place going
Old 01-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #10
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroek View Post
where are you working for? i am working for Crossroads Chrysler/ Jeep and Mercury/ Lincoln.... it make me look like what hell....
Old 01-23-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
boiler7904

I read a newspaper article the other day that GM is going to start pushing for the consolidation / alignment of GMC and Pontiac dealers into single source dealerships. Chevy / Buick / Cadillac and Hummer / Saab are the other consolidations that were mentioned in the article. They want to eliminate 2% of all dealerships over the next couple of years. They currently have 14,000+ dealerships between their brands in the U.S. Toyota on the other hand has somewhere around 2 or 3000 thousand dealers in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #12
Mr. Welsh

After taking a glance at the new Malibu and Australian-made Pontiac G8, I wasn't impressed.

The Malibu appears to be a decent effort and may be worthy of the praise that it's getting, but I would bet money the G8 will flop.
Mr. Welsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 AM   #13
Zeroek

Send a message via AIM to Zeroek Send a message via Yahoo to Zeroek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafautotech View Post
where are you working for? i am working for Crossroads Chrysler/ Jeep and Mercury/ Lincoln.... it make me look like what hell....
Hare Chevrolet Noblesville
Zeroek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #14
Deafautotech

i am live in Lawrench ( Near Giest Lake) and i always have my harley rides pass the noblesville ( US-37)
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #15
Firetrucks

Add Butler Ford just north of Indy to the list of closures.
They are moving their Kia dealership there .
Old 01-24-2008, 10:17 PM   #16
Junkman

Thirty five years ago, the dealerships were closing at the same rate.
The automobile business isn't what it used to be, and the amount of dealerships necessary to service a geographical area is dwindling. I would say that in 20 years, there will be very few independent dealerships left. All dealerships will be owned by just a very few people. Today, it isn't rare to hear of a single owner of more than 50 stores.

Men wake up as good-looking as they went to bed.
Women somehow deteriorate during the night.

Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
Junkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #17
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

rick hendrick
Old 01-25-2008, 07:45 AM   #18
PAToyota

I do have to admit that there are/were four "local" Chevy dealers in the area. Losing one seems to make a certain amount of sense - especially since the owner was retiring anyway. Not that I advocate going to huge corporations, but when you have four dealers within ten miles of my house the competition just within the brand is crazy.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #19
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

all those lucky employees lose their senoirity , toyota dealers not closing , but those guys made the money to buy toyota dealers by selling domestic cars , oh well , another part of ameica going the way of edsel
Old 01-25-2008, 08:12 PM   #20
Willy Victor

A Dealership just closed at I94 and exit 30 in Mi. and a used car dealer just east of there also closed. Wake up America.

Willy
Willy Victor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 08:30 PM   #21
kickassgarage

I predict that within 25 years, car dealers will be showrooms with maybe two or three high optioned models on the "Lot" available for immediate purchase and delivery. You will pay a premium to drive that car off the lot that day. The rest of the cars will be built to order and will arrive to your door delivered and clean within a few weeks for domestics and a couple of months for imports.

Just a prediction, nothing more.
kickassgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:44 AM   #22
PAToyota

Actually, I wonder why that isn't already the case - kiosk at the mall where you can select all of the features that you want and have it built to order...
Old 01-28-2008, 10:50 AM   #23
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr

Makes sense, How many huge lots do you see loaded with cars waiting on PO's from dealerships? I'm from the detroit area and that is all I see. Way to many are produced in advance.
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 01:30 PM   #24
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

where does the service department go ?
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #25
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

DARTMOUTH — Ralph's Chevrolet-Cadillac, whose roots date back to 1959 when their family sold cars on a corner lot in New Bedford, will be sold next week.

The Colonial Automotive Group is acquiring Ralph's Chevrolet-Cadillac, closing its dealership in Fall River and merging both operations at the current location on State Road, opposite the Dartmouth Mall.

Most Popular Stories
Federal trial begins today for Dartmouth couple charged with tax fraud schemeCancellations due to weatherSnow dayRecent arrests from Fairhaven, Dartmouth, New Bedford Ralph's Chevrolet-Cadillac being soldFire causes extensive damage to West End homePutting for dollars: Library raises more than $10,000 with golf fundraiser The sale marks the end of an era for Ralph's, which has succeeded with its family approach to selling cars with an emphasis on personalized customer service.

Mark and Philip Medeiros, along with their brother, David, have carried on the tradition started by their father, Ralph Medeiros Sr., on a small corner lot just down the street from St. Luke's Hospital on Allen Street.

The trio moved to Dartmouth in 1983, selling new and used Mazdas. They became a Chevrolet-Cadillac dealership in 1993 and sold the Mazda dealership to their brother, Ralph Medeiros Jr., who remains in the car business.

Ralph has since sold the Mazda dealership, but still owns Ralph's Chrysler-Jeep Inc. in New Bedford.

Mark and Phillip said the Colonial Automotive Group approached them and made "a good offer."

They would not disclose the purchase price, but said they are passing papers Feb. 4. The sale includes the buildings, land and inventory of new and used vehicles.

The Select Board is scheduled to hold a hearing tonight and vote on a transfer of the license to Colonial South Chevrolet.

Pat Brown, comptroller for the Colonial Automotive Group, confirmed the acquisition.

Mark, the president and general manager, said 60 to 65 percent of their business has been repeat customers. In some cases, he said, they have sold as many as 20 to 25 cars through the years to one family.

"It's beyond a business. It's a family," said his brother, Philip, who is treasurer-service parts director.

But they said a family automotive business cannot compete in today's market that is dominated by big chain dealerships.

"They can share their cars. They buy their advertising in groups. There are just so many things they can leverage out and we can't," said Mark, discussing the advantages the chains have over small family businesses.

"Consolidation is just the name of the game now. There are too many makes, too many models," he continued.

"The pressure on a little guy with a business is immense," he said. "This is really a threat on small businesses. I feel it is a scary time."

Philip said the grocery stores and hardware stores have given way to large supermarkets and super home improvement stores. "Now it's the dealerships' time," he said.

Nowadays, it is a vastly different world than it was when their father began in business. "When my father started the business, everything was a handshake," Philip said.

Mark and Philip, who attribute much of their success to their loyal employees, said they have reduced their workforce from 30 employees in September to their current complement of 18 workers.

"Our employees have suffered along with us," Mark said. "We're really concerned about them. We would not have made it through 49 years without their dedication."

They said the Colonial Automotive Group allowed all their employees to interview for their jobs.

Mr. Brown said there are about 30 employees at the Fall River dealership and they will be merged with the employees in Dartmouth. He said some employees at both dealerships will lose their jobs with the merger.

Neither Mark or Philip is planning to jump into something right away once the sale becomes official.

Philip, 53, said he will sit down and decide, although it sounded like he might get back into the business.

"The car business is a tough thing to get out of your system," he said.

Mark, 55, will be busy with his photography studio in Russells Mills Village and also plans to make some real estate investments.

"I'm going to resist the call," he said.
Old 01-28-2008, 06:31 PM   #26
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I know a tech that works there
Old 01-28-2008, 08:05 PM   #27
PAToyota

Quote:
where does the service department go ?
I've never used the dealer's service department anyway... Seems like all too often they're trying to make repairs expensive enough that buying a new vehicle seems like an option. Most of the work I do myself, but I have a couple mechanics that I trust as well...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM   #28
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

local Ford dealer will shut its doors. Prestige Ford of Dayton, at 4600 N. Main St., is closing this Friday, according to an employee at the dealership and a news report from WDTN-TV Channel 2.

"It's been coming for a while ... What are you going to do?," the employee said.

The dealership, formerly known as Peffley Ford, is the oldest auto dealership in Dayton, dating back to 1930.

Two Michigan auto veterans, Tom Tassie and Greg Jackson, bought the dealership in late 2005. Tassie did not return calls seeking comment.

But upon buying the dealership, Tassie said the owners were focused on sprucing up the place with new carpeting and general cleaning. They also sought to grow the dealership's 20-bay service garage. The dealership had about 40 employees at the time of their purchase.

Erick Collins, president of Springfield Ford, said it has been a tough road for the 10 or so Dayton-area Ford dealers. While he was not familiar with the ongoings at Prestige Ford, he said his own dealership saw sales drop about 6 percent in 2007.

He said Ford, like all domestic automakers, is facing increasing competition from the foreign auto sellers such as Honda and Toyota.

"It has been a tough period for Ford dealers over the last couple of years," he said.

Collins said Ford had focused on the SUV and large truck market, but as gas prices rose, those vehicles lost some popularity.

But he said Ford has made strides with some new vehicles -- including the redesigned Mustang, the new Focus and the Edge -- and he hopes 2008 will be a better year. Still, Collins said it's tough any time a dealership closes.

"I feel bad for the dealers because you know they have time and money invested in it ... plus there are the employees," he said. "It's just tough."
Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #29
WolverineCoatings

I have nothing but American brand/American Made cars in my driveway! It was difficult finding and American Brand Minivan that was made in America but it is possible (Chrysler Town and Country). I drive a Cadillac DTS and I have a 1955 Ford F-100 (in rough shape in need of restoration).

Anyway, I have supported the American Autoworker for a really long time. I wish they would return the favor. First, if you want job security... work hard like I do... don't strike! Second, make me a luxury car that isn't a piece of crap that breaks down all of the time. Third, quit shopping at Walmart and supporting the RED ARMY!

Plain and Simple... We all want to keep our jobs but I don't see many people that are willing to do what it takes. I make sacrifices like paying alot of money for a crappy car, paying 4 times the price for American Made items, driving farther to support stores that support American workers, and... EVERY empoyee of Wolverine Coatings is a bonified citizen of the U.S. of A.

So, if you have read this... are one of the people fearing a job loss... and you let your wife go to Walmart to Support the Red Army... I have a thought for you. Wouldn't this be a good day to put away your self-centered lifestyle and support your friends and neighbors? Wouldn't this be a good day to treat your fellow Americans the way you want to be treated?

I'm hoping to keep Americans in jobs! Part of my plan is to buy products that support other Americans in hopes that they will take their higher wages and buy American made products that are made in factories that use our products (like Chemical Storage Tank Linings, Warehouse Floor Coatings, Concrete Repair Materials, Line Paint... etc.)

What comes around goes around...
You reap what you sow...
*Pick your own favorite saying that means the same thing... there is tons of them...

*OK... this rant is over for now... lol

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.

Last edited by WolverineCoatings; 01-31-2008 at 03:28 PM.
WolverineCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:41 PM   #30
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

lots of union guys here in NJ driving non union made toyota ,honda , mazda
I think Hyundai is union in korea
Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 PM   #31
Firetrucks

Actually Kickass & PA, a small lot and inventory was what Saturn was originally based on. You would go in the dealership and order what you wanted, but eventually the GM mindset took over and turned Saturn into another "ordinary" GM dealership.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:45 PM   #32
WolverineCoatings

My wife had a Saturn when we first got married... it was a GREAT little car...

Wolverine Coatings Corporation's products are sold exclusively through Fred with AlphaGarage for Residential or DIY applications. Please contact Fred@AlphaGarage.com for your DIY project.
WolverineCoatings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #33
Jay H 237

Husky Dodge in Watertown, CT is closing too.

They were a Kia dearlership too but another dealer up the road is taking the Kia brand.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:09 AM   #34
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

sad for the guys who work there
Old 02-03-2008, 07:26 PM   #35
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAToyota View Post
I've never used the dealer's service department anyway... Seems like all too often they're trying to make repairs expensive enough that buying a new vehicle seems like an option. Most of the work I do myself, but I have a couple mechanics that I trust as well...
So true. I actually have used the dealer's service dept once, about three years ago. I was pleased, both transmission speed sensors went out at once and the tranny would not shift most of the time. About $250 and 45 minutes later, it was ready to go. The mechanics are all sitting around playing cards every time I've been in to get parts, no work in the shop, this in a major Atlanta "suburb".

I have a friend with a 2000 Beetle. Took the car to have a recall checked. ran fine till it got there, would not restart to make it to the shop. After an $80 "diagnosis" charge, they told her the alternator was bad. Next day and a $350 alternator later (exactly double what NAPA gets on the alternator, and they didn't have one on hand) plus a $150 labor charge, it was fixed. I'm not sure they saw a woman coming or they take everyone that bad. If I'd had a tow dolly (it was 60 miles away) I'd gone and towed it home. Why do you need to charge $80 to diagnosis a bad alternator, seems to me a multi-meter and about 5 minutes will do that.

Out of curiosity she asked how much to have the timing belt replaced, its due in about 20K mi. They told her $2000!!!!!!!!

Possibly that explains dealer shops and why no one cares when they go away.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:29 PM   #36
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

2 grand ? about 50 for the belt , 1950 for labor , at 100 an hour 19.5 hours , sounds good to work there ?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:31 PM   #37
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

The Jeff Wyler Arena Hyundai dealership in Trotwood has closed.

A spokesperson with Jeff Wyler Automotive Family Inc. confirmed the dealership at 1000 Shiloh Springs Road closed Dec. 31.

He said Hyundai took the franchise back for operation reasons and the inventory was transferred to the Jeff Wyler dealership at 1501 Hillcrest Ave. in Springfield.

Jay Lawrence, general manager of the Jeff Wyler dealership in Springfield, said the Dayton location had 18 employees and all were offered severance packages. Some were also offered jobs at the Springfield location.

Cincinnati-based Jeff Wyler Automotive Family Inc. has locations in the Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati and Dayton areas. It also has a North-Carolina-based motorsports business.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:56 AM   #38
SHELCO

its a little more than a $ 50 dollar belt.. water pump, valve cover gaskets several idler pulleys coolant-cam seals etc etc.
its a lot of work, the days of a home owner doing a belt in the drive way is gone!. put one in and have the cam off 1 degree and see what happens.
explain to the girlfriend or neighbor why they now need to spend 6 plus grand for a motor
SHELCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #39
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

PENDLETON, Ore. (AP) — Saying the car business has stalled, the owner of the Pendleton Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership is closing the doors.

Kurt Williams says the Ford Motor Company's market penetration has been declining amid the industry's troubles.

So, he says, "it's all done" in Pendleton.

Williams owns a Ford dealership in Walla Walla, Washington. Semitrailers started hauling vehicles there on Wednesday.

Williams says he'll try to place as many employees as possible in the Walla Walla store.

___

Information from: East Oregonian, http://www.eastoregonian.info
Old 03-01-2008, 12:49 AM   #40
jay50
Banned

Well, not to seem like a vulture perching on a tree waiting for a dying meal; I bet there are come good tools to be had at those dealerships that are pulling the plug. Anyone near one that has checked into their going out of business deals?
jay50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:02 AM   #41
thefairlaneman
Banned

I worked as a commision paid dealer mechanic for a short time and when the chance came to go to a state DOT job (lower pay but better security) I left. Never sorry for it. I know of one dealer that paid the mechanics a 50/50 split on labor. things got tight and they went to a 55/45 split and then only months later told the mechanics the new split would be 60/40. The mechanics all got together and told the owner that since he needed the money so bad he could have 100% and they all walked out and the dealer closed up shortly after that. true story......
thefairlaneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 AM   #42
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefairlaneman View Post
I worked as a commision paid dealer mechanic for a short time and when the chance came to go to a state DOT job (lower pay but better security) I left. Never sorry for it. I know of one dealer that paid the mechanics a 50/50 split on labor. things got tight and they went to a 55/45 split and then only months later told the mechanics the new split would be 60/40. The mechanics all got together and told the owner that since he needed the money so bad he could have 100% and they all walked out and the dealer closed up shortly after that. true story......
wow... if all technicians walk out of dealership then dealership will be in troubles? my question is are service dept keep dealership in business or it is dealers to sell vehicles to keep business??
Old 03-01-2008, 06:58 AM   #43
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

dumpster diving is a good idea

fixed ops [service, parts , body shop ] is what keeps most dealers going , pays for the inventory and the heat and electric bills , but since we make all the money in the dealer , the mechanics are still treated as inhuman third graders , paid crappy , no benefits

Last edited by SpiderGearsMan; 03-01-2008 at 07:00 AM.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:22 AM   #44
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

It's sad to see a car dealer that's been around forever close up shop but, I don't have any sympathy for the owners. Techs are cash cows. The dealerships rely on the service department to pays the bills and keep the lights on. Very few techs are hourly, virtually all are paid flat rate. A long ago that meant the hourly labor rate was split 50/50 between the dealer and the mechanic. Those days are long gone. Today most shop hourly labor rates in my area are $100. Techs get paid $15-$27 an hour. The dealer takes in a large hunk per hour. Yes, I know they have to buy shop equipment, pay the electric bill, advertise, and all of that other important stuff. I also know that techs get shafted with low warranty time claims and that the dealer pockets the difference between what they pay the techs and what the factory pays the dealer. Then you need to add in all of the free things the dealer gets out of the tech, like ride with this customer to see what noise his car makes, go over this possible trade in to see what it needs before we make an offer, or no the customer doesn't want to get anything fix that you looked at. I don't miss my Dealership days much except for some of the people, life was never dull.
Fedwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 02:44 PM   #45
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

hey , we get paid way more than that in jersey , you need it to pay the tax bills
Old 03-01-2008, 02:53 PM   #46
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

company that epitomized community service, as well as being a major sales tax revenue source for the city, is closing, with February 29 being the last day for Ford of Santa Paula.

The dealership, located on South Hallock Drive, was purchased by Hamer-Toyota, a legendary Santa Fernando Valley dealership, in October 2003. The purchase was the first time that Hamer, founded in 1939, had been involved in another dealership.

Ford of Santa Paula personnel lived up to the company’s vow to become involved in community service, with Bud Brown, Hamer’s public relations director, becoming active with the Chamber of Commerce - he is credited with leading several record fundraising golf tournaments - and other organizations, including those benefiting youth and public safety. The company was a good neighbor and corporate citizen, said City Manager Wally Bobkiewicz.

“We’re sad about what’s happening with Ford of Santa Paula, and have nothing but compliments for Steve (Mares, the general manager) and Bud for the operation they ran.... We’ve dealt with them for years” on various issues, including “making sure that we could buy vehicles from them other than state contracts” normally utilized by municipalities.

“They have given Santa Paula every chance, and we really appreciate that they stuck it out as long as they did... we commend them for supporting Santa Paula and working to make the business successful.” Now, Bobkiewicz added, “Our hopes are to get a new business in there that can even come close to being such a fine business that Ford of Santa Paula has been.”

“This is a big loss throughout the community in so many ways... for the dealership employees, for the community in general,” and the impact on city sales tax revenues,” said City Economic Development Specialist Rochelle Margolin. “We’ve offered to assist them any way we can.”

Ford of Santa Paula proved itself to be “excellent citizens that worked well with the community and the city... we tried to assist them the best we could with the resources we could.” Although a top sales tax revenue producer, Margolin said the dealership will be “missed, not just as a car dealer, but because of who they are.”

The city, Margolin added, will do whatever it can to “help with the transition and what might become of the building to help support the community again.” Representatives of Ford of Santa Paula were not available for comment by press deadline.

Stark economic downturns, rising gasoline prices and the collapsing housing market have negatively affected auto sales throughout the nation. In late 2006 a Ford dealership closed in Ojai, and last year a Chatsworth-based Ford dealership abruptly shut down after just 14 months in business.
Old 03-01-2008, 03:18 PM   #47
jay50
Banned

Huh....I've noticed that in many cases Toyota dealerships are moving into the closing dealerships..... Wonder why the Ford and GM are having so much trouble but Toyota seems to be expanding?
Quality maybe?
Old 03-01-2008, 04:47 PM   #48
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

deceptive advertising
Old 03-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #49
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

quote-"The dealership, located on South Hallock Drive, was purchased by Hamer-Toyota, a legendary Santa Fernando Valley dealership, in October 2003. The purchase was the first time that Hamer, founded in 1939, had been involved in another dealership."

the Toyota boys failed with the ford purchase
Old 03-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #50
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

LOMA LINDA - In a sign of the times, auto dealership Saturn of Loma Linda on Monday announced that it will close this week and is laying off 10 employees.
The closure, coupled with the owners' decision in December to close their Saturn of the Desert dealership in Cathedral City, will leave Saturn customers scrambling for car service at regional dealerships in Ontario and Riverside.

The Loma Linda dealership will terminate its dealership contract Wednesday, though it will continue to sell cars through Friday, said Jeff Spreen, one of the co-owners.

When the Saturn of the Desert closed, co-owner Gregg Spreen said sluggish sales in a slumping economy were to blame for the abrupt closure.

Gregg Spreen refused to comment on the situation Monday.

But Jeff Spreen , his son, said the decision was made because the product has no future and the nation's economic downturn is undermining sales.

Nationally, GM - Saturn's corporate parent - reported a sales decline of almost 13 percent in February, while Ford's sales fell 7 percent, Chrysler's 14 percent and Toyota's 3 percent.

"Everything they (Saturn) pride themselves on, like made in America, one price, one car, no hassle, is over," Jeff Spreen said.

The Saturn lot will be converted to a Spreen Honda dealership. Spreen Honda is next to the Saturn dealership and is owned by the same family.

Saturn owners who need repairs under warranty can take their Saturns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Advertisement

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
to the Riverside and Ontario dealers, said Jeff Spreen, adding that Spreen Honda can provide service to Saturns as well -- just not warranty work.
The current Saturn location will become a Spreen Honda supercenter for used cars.

The Honda expansion comes on the heels of an announcement by Honda President Takeo Fukui last week that sales of Hondas are strong, especially on the East Coast, because consumers currently prefer small and gas-efficient cars.

Twenty-five of the Saturn dealership's 35 employees will be offered jobs elsewhere. Ten will be laid off.

"We didn't want to close it, especially my father," Jeff Spreen said. "He tried to prolong this as long as possible, but the brand has declined in sales from 2000 and on."

product has no future !!!!haha
Old 03-08-2008, 08:31 AM   #51
jay50
Banned

dayum; are saturns that bad? I know the brand is mostly catered to the women folk, but still....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 PM   #52
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

the new astra is the latest opel ... shows small car promise
the aura is nice , the vue is nice
I guess he thought the s car would last forever , even when nobody bought it anymore
saturn is on the upsurge
Old 03-11-2008, 02:13 PM   #53
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

March 10, 2008 - 10:26AM

VICTORVILLE — George Lantarman bought a used Dodge truck for $10,000 from Aloha car dealership on Amargosa in early January.

When the check engine light came on, Lantarman immediately took the truck back to the dealership, where it was still under warranty. The mechanic told him he’d have to come back another time for service.

When he returned last week, the once-overflowing lot was empty and there were padlocked gates blocking the entrances.

Lantarman recently had the vehicle towed to the local Dodge dealership, where it is currently being serviced. To date, he still hasn’t received license plates or a pink slip on his vehicle.

Lantarman is one of many customers and employees left in the lurch after Aloha Liquidation Systems went out of business overnight. The company’s Web site, which showed 57 available vehicles last week, is now as empty as the dealership’s lot.

The Department of Motor Vehicles has opened an investigation into Aloha, said spokesperson Jan Mendoza, though no further information is yet available.

This graf uses anonymous source The company told employees that they were moving the cars for a giant tent sale, according to a former salesman who asked to remain anonymous in hopes he can still get payment Aloha owes him. The cars were then loaded onto trucks and reportedly sent to auction.

The employee said John Zemke, who owns the dealership, and Frank Lopez, the general manager, are the only ones who know why this happened.
Neither Zemke nor Lopez responded to repeated requests for comment.

However jilted customers didn’t hesitate to comment on the dealership.

John Helash used cash and a trade-in to purchase a $41,000 Corvette from Aloha two months ago. He still hasn’t received his pink slip, and can’t get in touch with anyone.

“I could lose my car,” he said.

Marshall Saunders paid nearly $2,000 for an extended 5-year warranty when he bought a truck from Aloha last spring. Now, he has nowhere to go.

Dan McCoy spent $20,000 cash on two used cars from Aloha, including a Pontiac he bought for his granddaughter’s birthday. Though both cars came with lifetime oil changes, McCoy said he doesn’t plan to pursue litigation at this point.

“I figured they will just get away with it,” he said.

McCoy used to be a police officer, and said he responded to similar cases numerous times. His prediction is that the owner will open up a new store under a relative’s name, so that they will not have to honor lifetime lubes or other guarantees.

“I’ve seen it happen before,” he said.

According to state licensing documents, Aloha is a fictitious business name for Synchro Eaze, owned by Zemke. San Bernardino County officials said any records on Synchro Eaze filing for a new business license would be at Victorville City Hall, which was closed Friday as part of the city’s rotating four-day weeks.

Rebecca Driscoll of Victorville purchased a used BMW from the dealership last January. She said she’s shocked and disappointed to hear they closed.

“I was told I’d have free oil changes for rest of my life,” she said. “They said if anything happens, bring it back here and we will stand behind it.”

Driscoll was especially surprised to hear about the closure because the last time she took her vehicle in for service, her salesman Ben Cain told her they were getting ready to expand and open an additional sales lot at another location.

This was confirmed by former Aloha employees, who said the dealership has done steady sales since its opening in 2005 with an average of 150 cars on the lot at a time.

Ron Rangel and Greg Dubose, both of Victorville, bought vehicles with warranties and the promise of lifetime oil changes.

“One week it was full of cars and the next week it was empty,” Rangel said. “What can we do?”

Dubose said he is looking into possible legal action.

Customers affected by the dealership’s secret closing can file a complaint with the local DMV investigations office at 245-3252.

Brooke Edwards may be reached at 955-5358 or at bedwards@vvdailypress.com.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:28 PM   #54
SVT WUT 7

Send a message via AIM to SVT WUT 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroek View Post
My suggestion to you is apply for a position at Toyota. Apply...apply....apply!! I would never have worked for any other manufacturer after working for Toyota. Even though I'm no longer working as a tech, Toyota is the only place I would EVER consider turning wrenches again.
SVT WUT 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:03 PM   #55
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Most Toyota dealers swear by the team system , which rewards slackers , I left Toyota in 2001 , got 4 bucks more an hour at chevy , to work on better cars , hahaha
Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 PM   #56
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

John Erickson's Chevrolet dealership's last day of business will be Friday, WISC-TV reported.

As he retires, Erickson was trying to sell his franchise to Countryside General Motors of Beaver Dam. However, GM can stop such sales and has exercised an option to buy it from Erickson and close it in order to strengthen other GM dealers.

Erickson said that 25 people will lose their jobs. Erickson said that GM treated him fairly and that he is sorry his employees are being let go.

"I was upset about it in the extent that I have 25 employees -- all loyal people, (and) some of them have been with me since I opened. And the good part is, most of these people are finding work (or) will find work," Erickson said.

Erickson said he still owns the land on West Verona Avenue and isn't sure what he will do with it.
Old 03-13-2008, 12:02 PM   #57
danarn17

Story of NC Dealer closing.

BLACK MOUNTAIN — After months of financial turmoil, Black Mountain Ford and Black Mountain Chevrolet are closing.
Advertisement

“We started the dealership up with new ownership about a year ago, and we didn’t have enough working capital to weather the storm,” said Jim Galuszka, one of the owners of the corporation that owned both dealerships. “It ended up that basically, we just ran out of money.”

Car sales ended Tuesday, Galuszka said, and the dealerships’ service centers will close Friday. He said Wachovia foreclosed on the dealerships, which employed about 45 people.

Consumers have filed 38 written complaints with the state, many of them alleging the dealerships took their trade-ins but did not pay off the remaining loan amounts.

“The investigation is continuing, and DMV is cooperating with the district attorney up there to work on this case and help the consumers with their problems with their vehicles,” N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles spokeswoman Marge Howell said.

Buncombe County District Attorney Ron Moore said Wednesday night he is meeting with DMV officials Friday and will decide then how to proceed.

Galuszka, who lives in Arizona, said the owners are working “to rectify” the situation and have “fixed” about half of the complaints. He said the trade-in problems arose from the bank discontinuing its financial support of the dealership.

“They stopped financing the trade-ins, so we were unable to come up with the cash to pay the liens off,” Galuszka said, adding that he understands that some customers are angry with the dealerships. “I would tell them to just continue to keep working with us, and we’ll do our best to resolve the whole situation. I’ll do everything I can to cooperate and help those folks. We’re working really hard with the DMV and the bank to get it resolved.”

The owners are working on a sale to another ownership group, which would provide a cash infusion to allow payoffs of outstanding loans, he said. Also, the dealerships are selling off some remaining inventory to generate cash, and they had a $75,000 bond with the DMV that can go toward payoffs, Galuszka said.

Diane Browning, the controller at the dealerships for the past two years, said a sale proposal for the dealerships fell through in January. The dealerships’ financial woes first started surfacing last September.

Browning said she realizes customers are upset, but she said the company’s employees “have done everything they can to make it right by these customers and the vendors.

“We all understand that we all may be without jobs, and there were a lot of people who were hurt here,” Browning said. “We all gave more than you can imagine to try to make this work.”
danarn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:12 PM   #58
jay50
Banned

I wonder how the India and Chinese dealerships will be managed with all the domestic dealers closing shop?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #59
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

those markets are where the general is making it's money these days
Old 03-16-2008, 05:30 PM   #60
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

After a half century as a General Motors dealer, Zimmerman Cars no longer will be an authorized Pontiac and Cadillac dealer, the company’s president announced Wednesday.

Mark Zimmerman, a second-generation owner, said the downtown Rock Island dealership is returning its GM franchise and instead will focus on its thriving Honda business.

“It was not a tough decision from a dollar-and-cents perspective, but it was from an emotional standpoint,” he said. “That GM/Pontiac sign has been there all the time I’ve been coming down here ... It will be hard to take that down.”

Zimmerman, who followed his father, Fred Zimmerman, into the business, said the change will be effective March 21. He announced the news to his employees Tuesday night.

In a letter sent to the dealership’s customers, Zimmerman said, “Realizing this has not been the best of times for General Motors, it is my belief that GM is making by far the best vehicles they have ever produced and that their future will be good.”

But he agrees with GM’s corporate policy of reducing the number of smaller dealers to improve operating costs. “In this day and age when a customer will drive 20 miles to buy a pair of jeans and with the reliability of today’s vehicles, we do not need as many same-brand dealers within an area the size of the Quad-Cities,” he wrote.

In an interview, he stressed that the decision was one he made independently and not something forced upon him by GM.

“They (GM) came up with a policy in the early 1990s — Project 2000 — to look at markets that had multiple dealers and see if they justify having as many dealers as they have.”

The policy was not a plan to close dealerships, he said, but rather a means of measuring how much each market could support. For example, the Quad-Cities has three GM dealers as well as dealers across the region in Geneseo, Ill., and in Muscatine and Clinton, Iowa. Des Moines — with a combined area population similar to that of the Quad-City region — has one GM dealer.

“Sometimes the pudding spreads a little thin when there are a lot of dealers,” he said.

Zimmerman said the dealership will focus on its Honda franchise, which “is growing rapidly and is continuing to grow.”

Zimmerman Cars, formerly known as Horst-Zimmerman, added Honda to its line-up in 1973, becoming one of the first Honda automobile dealers between Denver and Chicago.

While GM sales were strong, he said it is getting “harder and harder to control costs.”

All of Zimmerman’s 50 employees will remain on staff, although one management position will be eliminated.

Zimmerman Cars traces its roots to 1952 when Allen Horst and Fred Zimmerman founded a Plymouth and DeSoto dealership in Moline. The dealership later moved to downtown Davenport before settling in Rock Island in 1962. At the time, it was a Pontiac, Cadillac, GMC Truck and Rambler dealership.

The dealership, located at 1740 5th Ave., will continue to have a full range of used cars, trucks, vans and SUVs. In addition, its parts, service and body shop departments will continue to service a wide variety of customers. However, it will no longer be able to perform warranty work on GM models.

“Ending this long-term relationship with GM is very emotional, but the timing makes sense,” Zimmerman wrote in his letter. “We feel the long range picture will be good for the car industry and that our action will help us and our neighboring dealers to be in a better position in the future.”

junior takes over the franchise , easy to sell hondas buy more coke to party with
Old 03-16-2008, 08:23 PM   #61
Jay H 237

I saw an article in my local paper that Chrysler wants to get rid of any independant brand dealerships and consolidate Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep together at the remaining ones.
Old 03-16-2008, 08:28 PM   #62
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay H 237 View Post
I saw an article in my local paper that Chrysler wants to get rid of any independant brand dealerships and consolidate Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep together at the remaining ones.
Oh damn!!

I am service technician for Crossroads Chrysler and Jeep (no dodge but service and part depts can do order and fix Dodge)
Old 03-17-2008, 10:54 AM   #63
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

It's not easy being in the car business these days but, I wouldn't want to be working for Chrysler. Are't they stopping production briefly this summer to do some retooling? Consolidation can be a good thing depending on which end of it you're on. I think Chrysler is hanging on by a thread and that may be starting to unravel.
Fedwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 04:02 PM   #64
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

bad news stops customers from buying
Old 03-17-2008, 04:35 PM   #65
boiler7904

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
It's not easy being in the car business these days but, I wouldn't want to be working for Chrysler. Are't they stopping production briefly this summer to do some retooling? Consolidation can be a good thing depending on which end of it you're on. I think Chrysler is hanging on by a thread and that may be starting to unravel.
OEMs usually shut down production at some point during the summer to retool between models.

From what I heard, everyone at Chrysler is getting a two week unpaid vacation to cut costs - nothing to do with retooling. I've also heard that they have some ungodly amount of unsold cars and trucks that are helping the need to let demand catch back up to production.

Doesn't Chrysler start to unravel about every 25 to 30 years? Anybody else think that Bob Nardelli (former Home Depot exec) is in over his head trying to run a automobile manufacturer? Selling a $30,000+ car is a lot different from selling hardware and lumber a few bucks at a time (and HD got worse at that as his tenure wound down).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 06:54 PM   #66
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
I am enjoying to work at Chrysler and Jeep dealership as it is my little more than 2 years employee at dealership. But i do work both Chrysler and Jeep AND Mercury and Lincoln dealership depend which shop need me most....

Sometime techs in Mercury/ Lincoln refused to do the work then service manager will pull me to do that job... I am hourly employee which i had to do what they ask me to do ( i had no problems to do what they ask me to do but i did told them that if I need a help then they will help me....)

i am concern about my future if something happen, i am still level 2 technician for Chrysler with ASE certified in Engine repair. i dont know if other dealership or independent shop would hire me.... But i had some of friends who work at other dealership (one tech friend tried to pull me to come to his dealership to do being the Diesel Guy in dealership but i had to turn down because i am work with one of best Tech in Chrysler business which i want learn more and use it for my living...)
Old 03-17-2008, 06:56 PM   #67
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904 View Post
OEMs usually shut down production at some point during the summer to retool between models.

From what I heard, everyone at Chrysler is getting a two week unpaid vacation to cut costs - nothing to do with retooling. I've also heard that they have some ungodly amount of unsold cars and trucks that are helping the need to let demand catch back up to production.

Doesn't Chrysler start to unravel about every 25 to 30 years? Anybody else think that Bob Nardelli (former Home Depot exec) is in over his head trying to run a automobile manufacturer? Selling a $30,000+ car is a lot different from selling hardware and lumber a few bucks at a time (and HD got worse at that as his tenure wound down).

Everyone at factories and Chrysler Business will be off for two weeks but Not for Dealerships.... which it will hurt to dealerships...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #68
JohnZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiler7904 View Post
From what I heard, everyone at Chrysler is getting a two week unpaid vacation to cut costs - nothing to do with retooling.
Nope - it's only unpaid for those employees who have already used up all their 2008 vacation, and there aren't many of those only 10 weeks into the year (almost everyone gets 4 weeks). GM has been doing the same thing for many years (shutting down completely for two weeks in July). Dealerships aren't affected - they're separate, independently-owned businesses.

JohnZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 07:26 PM   #69
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ View Post
Nope - it's only unpaid for those employees who have already used up all their 2008 vacation, and there aren't many of those only 10 weeks into the year (almost everyone gets 4 weeks). GM has been doing the same thing for many years (shutting down completely for two weeks in July). Dealerships aren't affected - they're separate, independently-owned businesses.

Correct! that what i did read on the CNN Money...
Old 03-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #70
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

dealer techs - no time off ever
every month there is an article on how chrysler is toast , which I agree with
yet , it keeps plugging along , like a dead man walking , you thing the governments market plunge protection team is keeping chrysler afloat ?
Old 03-17-2008, 07:56 PM   #71
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Apple Valley Ford declares bankruptcy

In early 2006, Connecticut resident Anne Lavoie invested her life savings in a Ford dealership in Lunenburg, but just two years later, Apple Valley Ford has filed for bankruptcy.

To Lavoie, and some others in the industry, her situation reflects bad business practices by Ford Motor Co. But other observers say it is simply the result of entering the business at the wrong time.

Lavoie was no stranger to the car industry when she opened Apple Valley. She started working with cars at 17 years old and had 20 years of experience at other Ford dealerships. At two of them, she had been a minority owner. And she was so dedicated to Ford that she says even today that she "bleeds blue."

When Lavoie bought the franchise, she said, officials at Ford assured her it was a viable operation and gave her the financing to get off the ground. She cashed out her 401(k) and invested $1.5 million of her own money in the store.

Then, the auto market hit hard times. Before she had even begun getting the dealership off the ground, the business started failing. Ford demanded that she recapitalize, but she had no money left to use - something she said Ford knew from the beginning. In May, she said, Ford officials told her that, in hindsight, they shouldn't have given her a loan to start with.

"If they were forthright in telling me what was going on, I never would have invested in this venture," Lavoie said. "I feel that they put me in a position to fail."

Anne Lavoie.Media Speculation

Automotive News, an industry publication, has chronicled Lavoie's story in several articles. Last May, it told of the long hours she put into making a go of the dealership, sleeping on a futon at the business several nights a week instead of driving home to Simsbury, Conn.

After Lavoie lost her franchise, the magazine ran an editorial complaining that Ford's behavior in her case reflected bad treatment of its dealers.

Tom Cleary, owner of another Ford dealership located nearby, Townsend Sales & Service Inc., said he thinks some of Automotive News' complaints about Ford are not well founded. He said he is not personally familiar with the situation at Apple Valley, but he has found Ford to be a good company to do business with.

"They're doing what they need to do to survive in a tough environment," he said. "And they are not alienating the dealers that are out there doing their job."

He said Ford has been particularly helpful in providing new consulting services to its franchise owners in recent years.

Still, Cleary said he thinks Lavoie had a difficult task set out for her in running a brand new dealership in the current economic climate. He said things are particularly hard for Ford dealers like him because pickup trucks, which account for 60 to 70 percent of his sales, are less and less in demand as the bad housing market leaves building contractors with little work to do.

"I couldn't imagine starting from scratch in this economy," he said.

Apple Valley Ford in Lunenberg declared bankruptcy Jan. 31.Lavoie and Automotive News both claim that just weeks after she bought the franchise, Ford began talking about closing some of its 4,200 U.S. dealerships. The editorial argues that the company should have eliminated the franchise rather than selling it to her soon before reducing its dealership numbers.

A Ford spokeswoman, Marisa Bradley, disputes the timing of the dealership downsizing.

She said it wasn't until the third quarter of 2007 that the company, at the request of dealers worried about overcrowded markets, began buying out dealers on a voluntary basis.

So far, she said, Ford has closed about 400 dealerships through the program. At the time Lavoie opened her store, Bradley said, the dealership reduction was not even on the horizon.

As for the specifics of Lavoie's story, Bradley said she does not have enough information to discuss the issues.

Michael Nault, owner of D&G Auto Body Supply in Fitchburg, one of the businesses that Apple Valley ended up owing money, said some of Lavoie's problems may have been the result of her own mistakes. He said his company worked with her in setting up a body shop at the dealership, but she didn't follow through on suggestions he believes would have helped her make money.

For instance, Nault said, he and his employees had suggested Apple Valley get on a list of shops that insurance companies recommend to car owners who have been in accidents, but the company never did it.

Lavoie said she did her best to get on the list but was not able to.

"You've got to pay people to do that," she said. "I tried to get on the list, but if you don't know somebody who's in the know..."

Nault said that even if Lavoie had not encountered the problems she did, it might not have made the auto body shop successful.

He said it can be difficult to build up a base of customers, and most dealerships have gotten out of that line of business, finding that it can't make them enough money.

Jeffrey Chandler, general manager of Colonial West Chevrolet in Fitchburg, another of Apple Valley's creditors, said he doesn't know if Lavoie could have done anything to save the business.

"I don't think it was her ability as much as it was the times that were going on," he said. "I don't know if she had a fair shot."
Old 03-17-2008, 07:57 PM   #72
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I bet this little honey had low fundage
Old 03-17-2008, 09:06 PM   #73
Deafautotech

Quote:
dealer techs - no time off ever
some techs that i heard and know of techs because friends of mine that sometime they had to quit so they can have vacation... Even The Best Transmission Guy in USA in my work took four months off after he and my former service manager got in argues and fired him... which he told me... now he are work as Shop Foreman for Chrysler dealership in GreenField...

My dealership only offered one week of paid vacation and i already used it in beginning of 2008 as my parents and i went to Gulf Shore, Alabama. i can take other vacation but no pay.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:15 PM   #74
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

no benefits for techs
it is like you are a slave
who would choose such a retarded line of work ?
Old 03-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #75
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

March 18, 2008
The recent wave of bad economic news is hitting the auto industry as people with flawed credit find it almost impossible to obtain reasonable financing, with interest rates running as high as 24 percent.

Harold Lockowitz of B&H Auto Sales in Middletown says the lender he deals with has traditionally helped borrowers rebuild their credit, but recently the cost of a subprime auto loan has become prohibitive, even with a hefty down payment.

"Special financing is really tough," he said. "Pretty much lately what I've been getting is they want $1,000 to $2,000 down, and the interest rate can go as high as 24 percent. It's tough paying $12,000 to $15,000 for a car that was $8,000."

The credit crunch is squeezing the dealers, too. Lockowitz said his father, who owns B&H, is thinking of closing up shop. "We own Meineke next door, and more and more people are hanging on to their cars and repairing them instead of getting a new car."

Paul Taylor, chief economist with the National Automobile Dealers Association in McLean, Va., says the downturn in residential real estate has had a negative impact on new-car sales after record highs from 1999 until 2007.

"For the potential buyers who own their homes, in many markets the value of their home is dropping," he said. "And for many parts of the country, people haven't experienced that for more than ten years. It's particularly important for car sales, because the value of the biggest asset they own is important to them when they consider whether to take on the second biggest purchase they make, which is typically a new car."

Oil prices have also taken their toll, Taylor said. "It was a rough winter," he pointed out. "Heating-oil use remained high, and gas prices are higher than they are normally this time of year. The value of trade-ins, particularly those with larger engines, affects new car sales as well."

Those with good credit, however, can still get great deals.

"You can get a real good rate if your credit score is above 700," said Joe Feder, general manager of Feder Subaru, who finances through Chase. "Zero percent on a new car to 3.9 percent on a used car."

Those with a credit score in the 500 range, Feder added, "may or may not get a car.

"It depends on your job stability, the length of time you've worked there," he said. "It also depends on vehicle and the price of the vehicle."

Borrowers with poor credit who do get a loan, he said, might pay between 10 and 13 percent. "That's when it starts to hurt. It's kind of a shame because people are struggling to make it in these tough times, and they're stuck with these high rates."

Don Evans, vice president of lending for Hudson Valley Federal Credit Union, said borrowers with a credit score of at least 740 will pay about 5.34 percent, but if the score is lower than 620, they might not get a loan.

"But if they find one they're paying 12 percent or better," Evans said. "I've heard as high as 18 percent. It's so important for people to protect their credit score. All the lenders are looking for people with good credit."

cyoung@th-record.com
Old 03-19-2008, 04:24 PM   #76
hguerrero

whether it's perceived or real...the quality of toyota is hard to beat...
I own three of them, 2 tacomas and a landcruiser....
these things won't die! check out this video when you can.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/433698...r_on_top_gear/

now before i get piled on for buying imports....
don't know about the rest of you but i spend my money where i get the most bang for the buck...
last i checked toyota, honda, bmw, etc had manufacturing plants in the u.s. so technically i'm putting money in my fellow americans pocket when i buy...

Last edited by hguerrero; 03-19-2008 at 04:30 PM.
hguerrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:19 PM   #77
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Toyota has tons of work if you are a tech
toyotas break a lot , since they don't change them much , super easy to work on
it is also very hard to make good money at toyota dealers , they think it is an honor to work on toyotas , toyota dealers use the screwball team system
toyotas builds lazy low powered vehicles , bizarre or boring styling and a small number of toyotas are manufactured here in the USA from parts made in japan , and don't forget , the money you pay for a Toyota goes to tokyo , not detroit
Old 03-20-2008, 01:52 PM   #78
hguerrero

this might true, but from my experience my vehicles are rarely in the shop, usually it's for routine maintenance oil changes, filters, etc.

break a lot? define it
very hard to make good money? what do you consider good money?
low powered vehicles...that's subjective ...compared to what?
boring styling? again subjective..

if they build plants here, they build vehicles here, they employ people here.

the one in san antonio texas is the sixth toyota plant in north america. $800 million dollar facility, 2,000 jobs. they build almost 700 trucks a day.

money goes to tokyo? really????

the check i wrote went to the dealership where i bought the vehicle. i'm sure some of that money pays techs, service advisors, the dealership owner, the sales team, secretaries, accountants, the architect that designed the dealership, the guy who put down the concrete, the guy who built the chairs , the girl who answers the phone, the ad agency , the tv station that airs the commericals, the guy who shot the commerical, the guy who sold the video camera to the ad agency, the company that built the camera to shoot the commerical....the list goes on and on.

how many toyotas are built in north america?
what percentage of those parts are built in tokyo?
how much of the money goes to tokyo?

again i'll spend my money on the best product, yes I know "best" is a subjective term, however in my experience, i can't go wrong with a toyota.

I own three classics a 69 firebird, a 72 firebird and a 65 el camino (this one's a project)... chances are i will never own a modern day chevy, ford or dodge....although I do like the prototype challenger.....

forgot to mention The toyota plant in indiana, who also makes the Sequoia SUV and Sienna minivan, produced 101,482 Tundras last year.

Henry

Quote:
Toyota has tons of work if you are a tech
toyotas break a lot , since they don't change them much , super easy to work on
it is also very hard to make good money at toyota dealers , they think it is an honor to work on toyotas , toyota dealers use the screwball team system
toyotas builds lazy low powered vehicles , bizarre or boring styling and a small number of toyotas are manufactured here in the USA from parts made in japan , and don't forget , the money you pay for a Toyota goes to tokyo , not detroit

Last edited by hguerrero; 03-20-2008 at 01:57 PM.
hguerrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:35 PM   #79
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I only point all of these dealer closings as most dealers are poorly run business , taking advantage of technicians by NOT paying them
Old 03-20-2008, 10:57 PM   #80
stuckinohio

Quote:
The Jeff Wyler Arena Hyundai dealership in Trotwood has closed.

A spokesperson with Jeff Wyler Automotive Family Inc. confirmed the dealership at 1000 Shiloh Springs Road closed Dec. 31.

He said Hyundai took the franchise back for operation reasons and the inventory was transferred to the Jeff Wyler dealership at 1501 Hillcrest Ave. in Springfield.

Jay Lawrence, general manager of the Jeff Wyler dealership in Springfield, said the Dayton location had 18 employees and all were offered severance packages. Some were also offered jobs at the Springfield location.

Cincinnati-based Jeff Wyler Automotive Family Inc. has locations in the Northern Kentucky, Cincinnati and Dayton areas. It also has a North-Carolina-based motorsports business.
This was one of the shops I worked at, and I am suprised it took as long as it did for them to close up. I left about 2 years before they closed. Some of it was managment, but I think a lot of it was location. There have been so many other buisnesses pulling out of that area it's rediculous. It's the only place I worked where when we gave someone a quote on fixing their car they threatend us with a drive-by.
Old 03-28-2008, 04:50 PM   #81
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

THANKS to all the scumbags who hate V8s and buy jap crap
my boss announced this morning that the general bought out our franchise agreement and we are through .
I have been offered a position at our newly aquired dodge dealer , mucho junk work on mega junk mopars , could be fun , but I really loved working at this place
I have only been back a few months and it is all over
I have to go across the street now and set fire to all the toyotas at the toyota dealer
GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD SAVE GENERAL MOTORS
Old 03-28-2008, 06:15 PM   #82
Deafautotech

Quote:
THANKS to all the scumbags who hate V8s and buy jap crap
my boss announced this morning that the general bought out our franchise agreement and we are through .
I have been offered a position at our newly aquired dodge dealer , mucho junk work on mega junk mopars , could be fun , but I really loved working at this place
I have only been back a few months and it is all over
I have to go across the street now and set fire to all the toyotas at the toyota dealer
GOD BLESS AMERICA and GOD SAVE GENERAL MOTORS
Oh man!!!! i am sorry about that happen...

are you plan to go Dodge Dealership??? it is little similar with GM but little different design....
Old 03-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #83
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Lots more tranny problems on low tech mopars , should be fun doing all these trannys
when I was 20 I worked at buick/chrysler/plymouth - buick was 440t4 trans all day , plymouth was a bizarre combination of mitsubishi, peogeut motors , volkswagon , slant sixes , 318 in fifth avenues , blown turbos
I got good at the 20 minute 2.2 plymouth head gasket swap
Impact gun and a pry bar
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM   #84
Deafautotech

Quote:
Lots more tranny problems on low tech mopars , should be fun doing all these trannys
when I was 20 I worked at buick/chrysler/plymouth - buick was 440t4 trans all day , plymouth was a bizarre combination of mitsubishi, peogeut motors , volkswagon , slant sixes , 318 in fifth avenues , blown turbos
I got good at the 20 minute 2.2 plymouth head gasket swap
Impact gun and a pry bar
i had to agree with you! i am do enjoying to work at chrysler and jeep dealership... i am so prefer to work on cummin diesel engine!!!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 07:35 AM   #85
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

EGG HARBOR TOWNSHIP - The leaping silver jaguar perched atop the Holman sign on the Black Horse Pike is to come down in the next few days.
The signs pointing the way to Holman Automotive's Jaguar parking lot were removed this week.

And as for the actual cars, there were only three in stock Friday afternoon.

Southern New Jersey's only authorized Jaguar dealership east of Cherry Hill will stop selling the brand come Tuesday, but drivers with maintenance and service concerns aren't being left stranded by the closing.

The news comes as part of "changing market conditions," according to management at Holman's Egg Harbor Township dealership, which will continue to focus on its Volvo, Saturn and Infiniti divisions located in the same complex.

On Wednesday, Ford Motor Co. announced it was selling its Jaguar and Land Rover businesses to Tata Motors Ltd., an Indian carmaker, in a deal worth a reported $2.3 billion. The sale, expected to be completed by the end of June, was anticipated for months and is part of the restructuring at Ford, which saw $15 billion in losses over the past two years.
So where does the global sale leave local Jaguar owners?

In a letter sent to customers, Holman said it will still be able to service Jaguars for routine maintenance issues, although service work under the factory warranty will need to be done at Holman's Cherry Hill location beginning Monday.

The Cherry Hill location is continuing to sell Jaguars, an employee there said.

Officials with Holman Enterprises, which is based in Pennsauken and owns about a dozen dealerships throughout southern New Jersey and another 10 in Florida, were unavailable for comment this week.

Some Jaguar owners, meanwhile, say they're worried about being inconvenienced.

"I don't think I would want to drive all the way to Cherry Hill," said Josh Bryant, of Brigantine, who had already planned to put his 2003 Jaguar X-Type up for sale before hearing about Holman's changes.

One woman getting her car serviced Friday said she was also disappointed to hear the dealership was no longer offering valet service, in which customers' cars are picked up from their homes, are worked on at the dealership and then driven back.

In the long run, Jaguar owners' vehicle and parts warranties will not be affected, according to Don Hume, a Jaguar/Land Rover spokesman in England. The cars have long been marketed as luxury British brands.

"Jaguar and Land Rover will continue to meet all valid claims made against unexpired vehicle and parts warranties," Hume wrote in an e-mail. "Existing arrangements regarding leases will also continue for the foreseeable future."

Holman received the Jaguar franchise in 1998 and began selling them in Egg Harbor Township eight years ago. The Atlantic City area was chosen as a market for the cars after market studies showed a high demand and the promise of job growth from casino development.

Jaguars are generally priced in the $60,000 and up range.

To e-mail Erik Ortiz at The Press:

EOrtiz@pressofac.com
Old 04-07-2008, 12:10 PM   #86
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Frank Buick sold, closing after 51 years

BY PAUL SINGLEY REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN
NAUGATUCK — A Buick dealership that had been in business here for 51 years closed its doors for good Thursday.

Frank Buick, at 573 North Main St., was sold to Valenti Auto Group of Watertown. Terms of the sale were not disclosed.

Owner Frank Savignano said he sold the dealership because General Motors Corp. wants Buick, Pontiac and GMC car dealerships nationwide to consolidate. Savignano, whose father started the business in Naugatuck, said GM management did not want to expand in Naugatuck, because the location is not large enough and it wanted to be near a strip of car dealerships. The new company will operate out of Valenti Pontiac on Watertown Avenue in Waterbury.
Old 04-07-2008, 02:26 PM   #87
Jaguar Fan

Location: Park City for Ski Season; Las Vegas for Poker Season

"When your neighbor loses his job, its a recession. When you lose yours, its a depression. When Congress loses theirs, its a recovery."
Jaguar Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 04:30 PM   #88
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I am staying in the same company , going to chry , jeep dodge
Old 04-07-2008, 05:57 PM   #89
Jay H 237

Quote:
Frank Buick sold, closing after 51 years

BY PAUL SINGLEY REPUBLICAN-AMERICAN
NAUGATUCK — A Buick dealership that had been in business here for 51 years closed its doors for good Thursday.

Frank Buick, at 573 North Main St., was sold to Valenti Auto Group of Watertown. Terms of the sale were not disclosed.

Owner Frank Savignano said he sold the dealership because General Motors Corp. wants Buick, Pontiac and GMC car dealerships nationwide to consolidate. Savignano, whose father started the business in Naugatuck, said GM management did not want to expand in Naugatuck, because the location is not large enough and it wanted to be near a strip of car dealerships. The new company will operate out of Valenti Pontiac on Watertown Avenue in Waterbury.
Yup, I saw that in the paper too, I live in Watertown. Valenti has a big dealership here.
Old 04-07-2008, 06:16 PM   #90
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

you could see that place from rt 8 going towards waterbury
buick only
Old 04-16-2008, 10:38 AM   #91
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Local Chevrolet auto dealer Paul Blanco is closing at least the new-car sales portion of his Florin Road dealership and hopes to sell his 16 acres for mixed-use development, he said Thursday morning.

Blanco, who has owned and operated the decades-old Capitol City Chevrolet since 2001, said he's asking the manufacturer to buy the franchise. The economic downturn and gas approaching $4 a gallon have cut his sales in half compared to a year ago, and the credit crunch is preventing many people from buying vehicles.

"The banks are not approving people like they used to for loans because of the mortgage business," he said.

In addition, consumers prefer shopping for cars at auto malls, he said.

Blanco hasn't yet decided if he'll keep the used-car sales and service portion of the business operating. If he does keep that portion of the business for now, Capitol City Chevrolet could retain all or some of its 36 employees, he said.

This is the second Florin Road new-car dealership to announce it is calling it quits. Bob Creedon's Senator Ford Inc. disclosed last month that it would shut the doors of the new car operation after a 28-year run.

The closures mean a big loss in sales-tax dollars for the city of Sacramento. Florin Road already has lost other dealerships to the Elk Grove Auto Mall.

Blanco said he's received several offers for his land. "We haven't decided if we're going to take them or not."

He's been seeking a buyer for the land at Florin Road and Franklin Boulevard since August. He's had much interest -- especially from drugstore chains -- for the front 5 acres, but he insists on selling all 16 acres together. The land likely would be developed for a mixture of housing, retail and other commercial uses.

It could take a year or two to complete the sale of the property, he said.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #92
sharpe427

Chryslers new owner (Cerberus) has already said it wants to eliminate 1/3 of it's existing dealer network. Too many dealers selling too few cars. Make enough cars to fill all the dealers, huge backlogs of inventory because they aren't selling. Ford said 2 years ago they wanted to shed 25%. GM says dealer 'consolidation' must go forward but wont talk numbers. The trades say they want to lose 33% as well but would be happy losing 20%.
Service departments are getting squeezed not only by leasing, but by the mfgs making a better car! In the 70-80's parts life was nowhere near what it is now. Every water pump that doesn't go out means less revenue for the service dept. Now add in timing belts (increased intervals) and prolonged service intervals (15k oil change?) and you have problems making budget in a SD. Same thing is running so many mom/pop garages out of business now because the big chains have the $ to invest in holding out. Automotive News reported that 'line repairs' (water pumps, t-belts, motor r/r, etc...A/b tech work) has been falling at a rate of 11% PER YEAR for almost 15 years while CTech work (maintenance services) has been climbing at a rate of 17% per year in the same time frame. Most dealers have only started really pushing maintenance work in the last 5-10 years. Before, it was left to the Firestones, Goodyears and Kwik Kars. Now the dealers tap custs from the maint market (free oil changes (toyota, Ford) or free maintenance (BMW)) and force Goodyear/Firestone/KwikKar to push harder...and they take cust's from mom and pop with low pricing. For those of you old enough, remember that 15 years ago the major mfgs got together and funded schools for Auto Tech training...where is that funding now? GONE. Why? because they know they don't NEED as many techs as they once did because they will be closing dealerships. Marginal dealer guys go to chain stores. Marginal chain guys go to mom and pop. What's left for the new guys? And not to mention this cycle REALLY depresses tech pay.
Einstein once said that "The future belongs to those still willing to get their hands dirty.'
May be the only thing he was ever wrong about.
sharpe427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 08:33 AM   #93
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Q: In March I took my Saturn to a different Saturn dealer for service because the store where I bought it closed without notice. The only notice was signs posted in the windows. If a dealership is closing, wouldn't you notify your customers? This is disgraceful.

—C.T., Chicago

A: In calling Saturn, we were told a dealer owned two Saturn stores and had both up for sale to other Saturn dealers so there would be no interruption in business for customers. One sold, but the deal on the other, where you bought your car, fell through at the last minute so it closed.

Yes, it would be nice to get a letter from a dealership when a store is about to close, but that becomes difficult when the plan is simply for the store to change hands
Old 05-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #94
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

Michael Barbieri, owner and manager of Auburn Nissan, revealed Tuesday that financial difficulties led to the closing of his dealership in Auburn on April 24.

Speaking from his Auburn home, Barbieri said: "It did not work out with Key Bank National out of Cleveland, and based on the economic times, they decided against going on."

Barbieri is the third dealer to end new-vehicle sales. Two Florin Road dealers accepted consolidation buyout offers from domestic automakers pushing to reduce the ranks of dealers in cities around the nation.

Last month, Paul Blanco announced that he was going to close Paul Blanco Chevrolet at 3815 Florin Road. He is continuing to sell new and used vehicles until the inventory is gone.

The owners of Senator Auto Group, in late March, said they would accept an offer from Ford Motor Co. and end sales of new Fords at their lot at 3801 Florin Road on May 15. Senator continues to sell used cars there.

Barbieri, who employed 14 people at the new-and-used car dealership, had moved the facility to 536 Grass Valley Highway in Auburn from 2630 Grass Valley Highway only four months ago. The showroom had 6,000 square feet of space
Old 09-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #95
danarn17

According to a recent report, Bill Heard Enterprises, the world's largest Chevrolet dealer group, will be turning out the lights for good at day's end. Automotive News reports that the company gave notice to the general managers at the group's 13 dealerships today, alerting them that each location would be closing upon completion of the day's business.

The report's unnamed source supposedly said the group has been considering closing its doors since last Friday, having determined it is unable to obtain sufficient operating capital to finance its floorplan. The group had previously shut down its Scottsdale, Arizona, location earlier in the month. Automotive News cites the group's revenue as $2.13 billion during 2007.

Of course, Bill Heard Enterprises isn't the only major GM dealer to wave the white flag in recent times. Towbin Hummer decided it had enough earlier this month, effectively shutting down the largest Hummer dealership in the nation. Owner Dan Towbin wasn't alone in the decision, as at least seven other dealerships have done the same thing this year, rather than choosing to ride out sales that are down 47% and an uncertain future with new ownership looming on the horizon.

As GM dealers continue to bail out of the marketplace, the reminders come fast and furious that automakers themselves aren't the only ones being hurt in a deflated automotive market -- dealerships and their employees have plenty to worry about as well.

Source: Automotive News (Subscription required)
danarn17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:26 PM   #96
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

hey , congress is going to throw 35 billion to the car business
now we are completely owned
Old 09-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #97
KenS

Dealerships have made buying a car a miserable experience. You're forced to deal with a salesman interested only in his commission, while the actual decision maker-- the sales manager-- sits behind a one-way mirror figuring out how to best soak the customer. It's almost impossible to determine the price of the vehicle you're looking at. The dealers then ream you with "dealer added" nonsense such as fabric and paint "protectant" ad naseum in their look-alike window stickers next to the federally-mandated manufacturer's sticker. At least at Wal-Mart you know what the price is.

Detroit has had years since the 1974 gas rationing to design fuel efficient cars. Instead they marketed gas-guzzling SUVs, in part to circumvent federal auto safety regulations since, tecnhnically, the SUVS were "trucks." They loaded them with chrome plated plastic bling and charged a stiff premium. And while the dealers were out on their cruises and junkets, the poor line techs were making subsistence wages while customers paid $75 to $100 an hour for new windshield wiper blades.

I have little room for pity with their situation. They are simply reaping what they've sown.

It will be interesting to see how a generation of UAW workers who expected nice retirement benefits will fare when their underfunded retirement plans begin hemmoraghing from the weight of ongoing financial turmoil.

It's sad.
KenS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 10:36 AM   #98
Brad54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenS View Post
Dealerships have made buying a car a miserable experience. You're forced to deal with a salesman interested only in his commission, while the actual decision maker-- the sales manager-- sits behind a one-way mirror figuring out how to best soak the customer. It's almost impossible to determine the price of the vehicle you're looking at. The dealers then ream you with "dealer added" nonsense such as fabric and paint "protectant" ad naseum in their look-alike window stickers next to the federally-mandated manufacturer's sticker. At least at Wal-Mart you know what the price is.

Detroit has had years since the 1974 gas rationing to design fuel efficient cars. Instead they marketed gas-guzzling SUVs, in part to circumvent federal auto safety regulations since, tecnhnically, the SUVS were "trucks." They loaded them with chrome plated plastic bling and charged a stiff premium. And while the dealers were out on their cruises and junkets, the poor line techs were making subsistence wages while customers paid $75 to $100 an hour for new windshield wiper blades.

I have little room for pity with their situation. They are simply reaping what they've sown.

It will be interesting to see how a generation of UAW workers who expected nice retirement benefits will fare when their underfunded retirement plans begin hemmoraghing from the weight of ongoing financial turmoil.

It's sad.
The manufacturers simply built what the buying public wanted. It's always been that way. Where they screwed up is not anticipating that the public's wants would change so dramatically.

Had the government not mandated higher mileage standards, with very difficult (and EXPENSIVE) compliance dates, the market would have still ensured higher mileage vehicles...the Japanese cars dominated the '70s because they got superior mileage. The same would happen today. A lot of people buy cars based on the mileage they get, a lot of people buy cars (or trucks) based on other things. The government had no business mandating CAFE standards, and those standards certainly contributed to the situation we're in now.

-Brad
Brad54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 AM   #99
KenS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
The manufacturers simply built what the buying public wanted. It's always been that way.
Could this be backward thinking?

Isn't it true that manufacturers spend millions and millions of dollars on slick marketing campaigns designed to create a psychological "need" for an expensive product? Today it has come to the point that movie makers probably get as much money from product placement in their films as they do ticket sales.

The trickle down of this can be seen in schools across the country: Pity the poor child who went to school with Pony sneakers from the discount store when everyone else was wearing Nikes. The main difference in the sneakers was a little "swoosh" label, but try explaining that to the child with the Ponys.

I suggest you consider the saga of the GM EV1 electric car. Lease customers loved them. GM recalled them all-- including brand new never-driven units-- and sent them to the crusher. The handful that were spared were deactivated by GM and ended up as test beds on college campuses. Some have been successfully "reactivated" but at the cost of legal threats by GM.

A little history also helps. Which do you listen to more often: AM or FM radio? Why of course it's FM due to the much better signal quality. Yet for years the government refused to license FM for commercial use because of a deal with a private manufacturer with a vested interest in AM radios.

There is so much greed and self-interest going on the background that the system is irreparable.
Old 09-25-2008, 05:07 PM   #100
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

a lot of japanese cars and trucks get worse gas mileage than our american junkers
up until a few years back ,gm and ford made more money than anyone with a fantastic collection of SUVS .. the price of gas went up ...
benz raped and pillaged chrysler of all of it's value

if you don't like the dealer , there are plenty more out there that are nice to people
Old 09-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #101
Charles (in GA)

Quote:
if you don't like the dealer , there are plenty more out there that are nice to people
Yes, but most of us cannot afford the time or the money to go on a multi-state driving spree to attempt to locate one.

I think that if I went to different dealerships looking for a "nice" one, there probably would be a trail of dead salesman and managers after the second or third one..................... I won't even go to a dealership to look at cars while they are open. Only reason for me to go to a dealership is to go to the parts department.

I buy little old ladies / little old man's cars or trucks when I can find them.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #102
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I have a lot friends that are car salesman , it is very hard to make money these days , so there may be lots of enthusiasm
don't be weakling , have fun going back and fourth with salesman
Old 09-26-2008, 08:48 PM   #103
KenS

Quote:
I have a lot friends that are car salesman , it is very hard to make money these days , so there may be lots of enthusiasm
don't be weakling , have fun going back and fourth with salesman

That's the point-- the salesman is not the decision maker-- he's simply a messenger. I know of so many cases where a salesman promised a deal that was later overridden/modified/killed/amended/inflated by the sales manager. And pity the poor fellow who makes the mistake of putting down earnest money on a car "to hold it."

Making a $15,000 to $25,000+ investment in a new car shouldn't require dickering skills like those needed in an oriental carpet bazaar.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:29 PM   #104
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

you could always pay sticker ..................
Old 09-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #105
Jaguar Fan

Two local Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge dealers have closed. One closed ~6 months ago. The other closed the day after labor day.

"A woman drove me to drink & I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Old 09-27-2008, 05:13 AM   #106
Deafautotech

Crossroads Mercury and Lincoln owner (that dealership where i am employee for Chrysler and Jeep service dept) decided to cancel the contract to stop sell chrysler and jeep because they only sell like 3 cars last month.... But the Cheapercar.com move in take over the Chrysler and Jeep building to be Cheapercar.com to be big used vehicle dealer like Carmax... I am no longer of being Chrysler Service Technician. my dream is be chrysler Master technician (level 4) was drain in toilet... I did four dealership search and got interview but no heard from them... i am stuck with Crossroads to make money instead no paychecks... Even Crossroads and Cheapercar.com want me to stay there...
Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 AM   #107
KenS

Quote:
you could always pay sticker ..................
Which one? The factory one, or the dealer added one right next to it for $3,000 more in paint and fabric protectant, and pinstripes? Or perhaps you mean the mythical "dealer invoice" where you pay only $50 more than the dealer paid?

You're probably better off investing that $50 in one of the those mint, still-in-a-crate-with-original-cosmoline WWII surplus Jeeps. At least in that case you only lose $50.

I have the knowledge and financial wherewithal to bargain with the best of them. No trade-in, cash transaction and I walk away with my money in my pocket when the going gets slick. But my trusting mother, and my wife, and my daughter-in-law don't necessarily have the same skill set.

Then you compound the problem with the fact that the moment the buyer turns on the key and drives out of the lot, his investment depreciates $5,000 in value.

Remember: This thread is about the reality that auto dealers across the nation are collapsing.

There is a reason for that. And they have brought it upon themselves.

Just like the mortgage market, they greedily put unsophisticated customers into products that were financially over those customer's heads. Now they are reaping the fruitage of those transactions.

However, I have no problem with the 18-year-old with an attitude delivering pizzas in his 2008 Mustang getting just what he and the dealer/financer bargained for.

On the other hand, when the money that financed that transaction-- and thousands others like it-- came out of our savings accounts and 401Ks, well that's another matter.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:28 AM   #108
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

life isn't fair
the dealer is not just the showroom
Old 09-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #109
Jaguar Fan

Quote:
...I have the knowledge and financial wherewithal to bargain with the best of them...
Wanna come help be buy a car?

"A woman drove me to drink & I never had the decency to thank her." -- W.C. Fields
Old 09-27-2008, 09:50 AM   #110
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

my next car is a crate camaro
Old 09-27-2008, 10:55 AM   #111
TejasBimmer

Are you going to build it up yourself?
It was cool that GM finally allow Dynacornare to buy the license to build that classic!

For everyone else that did not know...here is a link below.
Crate Camaro

2000-2.8L Z3 Roadster (mod'd 1st) ~ 2001 Toyota Tacoma DC 4WD Limited TRD (mod'd 2nd) ~ 2012-MINI Countryman ALL4 (NO Mods!)
BMW CCA Tejas Chapter & iZ3 Project Coordinator for the San Antonio area
TTORA and TLCA off-road wheeling member
Z3POWER.net
Member Since March 1, 2008
TejasBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #112
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I would have to find an old beater for most of the little stuuf
maybe go with like a morrison frame
all of camaros were second gen
I had a crazy 71 nova , sold it to pay for being a family man

Old 09-27-2008, 12:22 PM   #113
KenS

Quote:
life isn't fair
the dealer is not just the showroom
We finally agree.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:42 PM   #114
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

After more than 70 years, Lattof Chevrolet will close its doors on Oct. 10. The Arlington Heights staple won't be passed on to a fourth generation.

Owner Al Lattof faced a gut-wrenching decision, he said Wednesday. But it was a necessary one for the award-winning company that had catered to consumers, school districts and businesses throughout the region since 1936.

Lattof decided to accept GM's program to buy out dealerships nationwide to reduce the number of outlets selling its famed Corvettes, Impalas, Malibus and other models. Lattof declined to discuss the terms of the deal.

"It was an agonizing decision," said Lattof, 47. "It was tough, not just about what to do with my family, but with the family we have here (at the company). We have some employees who have been here for many years."

About 75 employees were told Tuesday that the business would be bought by GM and then immediately closed. All inventory will be specially priced for quick sale in the remaining weeks.

Tom Rominski, 50, of Palatine has worked for the company for 32 years and now is fixed-operations director overseeing the service, parts and body shop departments. He said he's seen many dealers in the area come and go, but always thought Lattof would have stayed.

"It was a shock," said Rominski. "I'm pretty upset."

Lattof said the decision to close the dealership had little to do with the economy and more to do with the future for him and his family.

"I'm also at the same age that my father (Warren) was when he became ill," Lattof said.

While he still has good health, Lattof and his wife Janet and their two children plan to take life in a new direction. He said he may open another business, possibly in the energy field, but declined to provide specifics.

But the reach of the Lattof family stretches deep in the community, starting in 1936.

Al Lattof's grandparents Nick and Olga Lattof had the choice of either opening a Ben Franklin department store or a Chevrolet dealership in town. They opened the dealership at Arlington Heights Road and Miner and later moved to the downtown area. Its third and final move was in 1958 to 800 E. Northwest Highway.

Their son, Warren, soon took over, and Al Lattof remembers starting his own career at the family business as a high school student tarring the roof.

"My dad joked, saying that I started at the top and moved my way down," Lattof said.

He went away to Colorado College in Colorado Springs, earned his bachelor's degree in business and returned home. His first job after college was working with computers when Apple first debuted.

But by 1983, Al Lattof returned to the family business and eventually worked his way up to its leadership.

The dealership has since earned several corporate awards, including placing in the Top 10 in recent years for selling the most performance parts used in race cars, antique show cars, boats and planes.

His family has also been honored in many ways in the area, including its namesake YMCA in Mount Prospect.

The Lattof family is a rarity in the Northwest suburbs, said Arlington Heights Village President Arlene Mulder.

Not only are they a third-generation Arlington Heights family, but the Latofs are very involved in the community, she said.

"They are the heart and soul of Arlington Heights," Mulder said. "And not just for their car dealership but for their philanthropic work with the (Northwest Community) hospital and Clearbrook center."

A few years ago, the Lattof family let a charity for the homeless use their showroom for an art auction, Mulder recalled.

"There was Al (Lattof) keeping the pop cold and lugging out the ice," she said.

Now the village will have to try to fill the soon-to-be-vacant spot at 800 E. Northwest Highway.

"It's a very, very good site, but these are challenging times," Mulder said. "We hope to get something in here as soon as the economy will allow."

Daily Herald reporter Sheila Ahern contributed to this story.

Sign in | Sign up to comment1. Comments are not edited and don't represent the views of the Daily Herald.
2. To understand what is and isn't allowed please read our comments policy.
3. To report an inappropriate post click the icon beneath the comment.

Sort By: Oldest Newest1-7 of 7posted by stealth warrior on Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:06 AM

I see a lot of smoke and mirors here. That is prime commercial real estate next to a now under construction high rise condo project. I guess the Lattoffs are selling out to some other commercial interest.

I don't believe for a minute that Arlington Heights doesn't have a prospect for that site. Yes the car business sucks right now, but changes are coming and I'm sure Lattoff could weather the storm if they wanted to.

It's too bad. I worked at Mark Motors down the street for years in the 70's and 80's and now they are gone too after selling out to the Rosens.

You stay tuned for a BIG announcement from the village about this site. This whole thing stinks.

Report Abuse
posted by DonVitoCorleone on Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:05 AM

If GM was waving a large amount of money to buy out the dealership and shut it down and Lattof stands to make some big money on the land, at his age why not retire in style. The next generation of Lattofs probably don't car about the car business anyway. Times are changing.....get over it.

Report Abuse
This comment removed for violation of Terms of Service

posted on Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:10 AM
posted by Nooch on Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:36 PM

So very sorry to hear the news.

The community will loose the only honest place to purchase a car that I have ever known!

My heart goes out to all my old friends, my thoughts and prayers are with you ALL!

I was a proud part of the Lattof Family for many years. They were the best years of my life.

Thank you Warren,

Thank you Al

Good Luck to All!!

Anyone need a great sales manager/??? Contact Bruce or Guy before they're snapped up!!!

Report Abuse
posted by pstulip on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:01 PM

If you are looking for a parts specialist, one of the best GM parts specialists around is Mike Sill. Contact him at Lattof before someone else steals him away? Like a lot of the guys there, he has given over 10 years of his life to the Lattof family.

Report Abuse
posted by tifoso1 on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:13 PM

Hey Stealth Warrior, who are the Rosens?? Mark sold to Resnick.

Report Abuse
posted by keepwatch on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:28 AM

This is such sad news. I feel badly for people like Bill, Guy & Charlotte. I don't know how I can buy another Chevy again and not feel satisfied that it was a fair transaction.

I have personally purchased 5 cars from Bill Martino and have sent many more to him who said they would never go anyplace else to buy another car. I just can't imagine having to buy a car anywhere else but Lattof.

In my first new car purchase with my husband, he couldn't believe that that during the test drive Bill & I were talking life, about his daughter and not car prices, etc. He about had a heart attack. I told him Bill's deal will be the best price and to trust me (I had already bought 3 cars from him at that point). In the end my husband did not believe me, took the quote to Don McQue in STC where they could beat any price from their ads etc. The salesperson looked at the quote and said go buy that car, I can't come close to that price. It was simple...done deal, no haggling and easier than buying a Saturn. And when my husband bought his second car from Bill, this time the deal was done that day.

Old 09-28-2008, 01:45 PM   #115
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

are leaders born and not made ?
too many family business out there ?
Old 09-29-2008, 06:04 AM   #116
KenS

Quote:
are leaders born and not made ?
too many family business out there ?
That's what happened here: Daddy gave it to the kids who ran it into the ground and sold out for $6 million to a big corporation. Fortunately the corporation treats the employees better than the family ever did.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #117
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

the franchise is kaput
maybe building a bank -bwahhahaha
Old 09-29-2008, 06:59 PM   #118
nissan_crawler

Quote:

It's sad.
Agreed. I walked out of dealerships for that reason while looking at new vehicles.

"I want your lowest price on a v-8 base model, two wheel drive pickup, no options."
"we have this over here reduced $3k down to $28k."
"Yeah, but that's not a base model two wheel drive with no options"
"Oh, you'll want this one, though."

SEE-YA!

"I want your lowest price on a v-8 base model, two wheel drive pickup, no options."
"The lowest I can go is to $22k."
"the other dealer will go to $20k."
"well, we can maybe do $19.5"
"I thought you said $22k was your lowest price?"
"Well, it was, but...."
"So you lied to me."

SEE-YA

"I want to see how it pulls a car trailer."
"oh, we can't do that!"

SEE-YA

"I want to look at it up on a lift."
"Oh, we don't do that."

SEE-YA

"I want to test drive ti for the weekend."
"We can't do that."

SEE-YA

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 07:01 PM   #119
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

if you buy this here truck now , you can test drive it all you want
Old 09-29-2008, 07:02 PM   #120
nissan_crawler

Looking at used vehicles at dealers:

"Just had new brakes"
"Why did the install brakes with grooves?"

SEE-YA

"My mechanic just put new struts on the pickup yesterday."
"Really? That must have been pretty difficult."
"Why?"
"That pickup comes with torsion bars, not struts."

SEE-YA

"No engine leaks at all."
"Really, why is the engine compartment 100% shiny clean when the rest of the car is dirty?"

SEE-YA

"New cv joints."
"Really, why are the boot dry-rotted and the shafts rusty?"

SEE-YA

The dealers are bringing it on themselves.

"A man with a gun is a citizen. A man without a gun is a subject. " John Lott

"Taking my gun away because I might shoot someone is like cutting my tongue out because I might yell `Fire!' in a crowded theater." Peter Venetoklis
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:08 AM   #121
Jaguar Fan

Three local GM dealerships closed yesterday.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:33 AM   #122
hamburglar

Quote:
my next car is a crate camaro
I really like the idea of that too. It would certainly be cheaper than buying back some of my old cars. It does seems to me though that I've read about those Dynacorn shells needing a fair amount of body work to get the doors to fit properly, etc.

Just to show my own insanity, I spent a couple of days building a spreadsheet (not nearly finished, sadly) of every part in a Camaro beginning with the factory assembly manual. The idea was to get a rough idea of really what was needed in terms of all the small parts...it's easy to fool yourself on the real cost of finishing something.

As far as car dealerships closing, besides the fact that GM especially has shrunk in market share plus dealerships are a lot bigger than they were years ago (including those giant multi-store companies), there has had to be a lot of distortion in that business as financing became the primary profit item in a pickup truck.
hamburglar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #123
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

in the past few weeks , we lost
upper saddle river chevy
monroe ford
westwood chevy
brogan cadillac buick
galleria dodge
bergen dodge
the caddy buick will be going to the hummer dealer in mahwah , who are also in the process of re opening the pontiac/gmc dealer I was working at , but closed
Old 10-01-2008, 05:27 PM   #124
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

South Korean automaker Hyundai's efforts to streamline its local operations have advanced with the closing of Maita Hyundai on Auburn Boulevard in Sacramento.

Employees at the facility said the dealership started shutting down last week. Maita Hyundai signage has been taken down, and the store's link on the Maita Automotive Group Web site was removed over the weekend. A receptionist said some service work is continuing.

Maita continues to sell new and used Chevrolet, Toyota, Scion, Nissan and Subaru vehicles at dealerships in Sacramento and Elk Grove.

Maita Hyundai's closing had been rumored for weeks as Hyundai works to streamline in the Sacramento area, part of a national strategy.

On Friday, officials with the Sacramento-based Senator Auto Group said that Miami-based Potamkin Automotive had agreed in principle to take over the Senator Hyundai franchise at 3655 Florin Road in Sacramento.

By late Monday, officials for both parties had not confirmed that the pending deal had been finalized. Potamkin plans to run the Florin site as Hyundai of Sacramento.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #125
davestlouis

in Metro STL, an incomplete list of recent closures would include:
3 of the Dave Sinclair dealerships, they sell mainly FOMOCO products
Moore Cadillac, Moore Jeep, Feld Chevrolet, Royal Oaks Chrysler, Zeiser Dodge, Dave Croft Chrysler declared bankruptcy but is open for the moment, Chrysler West, Metro Chrysler Center, the list goes on and on. The really scary thing to me is all the little used car lots that have been there for years, that are drying up and blowing away. Where did all the people go who used to buy $2500-5000 used cars?
davestlouis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #126
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

nation's economic crisis is hurting automotive dealers across the country and could contribute to an estimated 700 dealerships closing this year, National Automobile Dealers Association Chairwoman Annette Sykora said Tuesday.

The NADA says the United States has more than 43,000 dealerships, so about 2% could close this year.

Sykora, whose organization lobbied for the passage of the $700-billion Wall Street bailout, praised Congress for passing the bill but said relief has yet to trickle down to dealers.

"The rescue plan is designed to free up credit markets," she said in a Detroit speech sponsored by the Automotive Press Association. "But it's too early to know whether the fix will work."

Without consumer financing, an automotive dealership's business can come to a halt because 94% of car buyers finance their vehicles, Sykora said.

Dealers have told the NADA that they have been unable to obtain financing even for buyers with very good credit scores.

"Dealers who have been in business for decades say they have never seen anything like this before," Sykora said.

The result: Consumer confidence has been shaken because credit, the lifeblood of auto dealerships, is frozen.

"We now need government to implement the recovery plan as quickly as possible," Sykora said. "Restore access to credit, and ultimately, you restore consumer confidence."
Old 10-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #127
Thumper

I hated to bring this back to the top but heres a few around here thats in deep doo.

Mall of Ga. Chrysler-Dodge today let 20 guys go ( Techs & sales ) citing no work and no sales. Rumor has it that another party is in the process of a buyout.

Bill Heard Chevy and ALL of his other dealers has gone bye-bye as of 4 weeks ago. He had 17 dealerships all over the place.

Sons Suzuki went bye-bye 2 months ago.

Heritage Dodge went out last week ( padlocked the gates)

I hope this kind of shit ends soon for everyones sake.
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:10 PM   #128
shocksystems

Send a message via MSN to shocksystems
Unhappy Re: Auto Dealer Closing News

I was shocked (should not have been) when the local Chevy dealer closed its doors (OKeefe Chevrolet) last week. This problem now seems much more personal and real.

Here is the story.

http://www.salemnews.com/pubiz/local...288223032.html

Very very sad.

I sure hope the Ford dealer across the street survives.

Jim
shocksystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM   #129
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

look at the crap dealers have pulling on techs
car companys too
they can't make money selling cars , so they pull the profits out of the service department , cutting tech's pay
I have to work harder to make less
rip
Old 10-25-2008, 08:42 AM   #130
FullKustom

All I see in my local classifieds are tech jobs that pay a living wage and give full benefits, plus employee discount (not sure how useful that is). At least one of those ads at least five days a week.
FullKustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:47 AM   #131
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

not around here
Old 10-25-2008, 09:51 AM   #132
Deafautotech

Quote:
not around here
me neither!

what do you think i should try for City(State Government) Garage as they has 3 shifts and they keep busy wrenching... my sister in law did gave to manager of City garage my resume and they said wait until November as two mechanics will be retired... i always love to work my job at crossroads but no works and rumors that there some of jobs are on line which maybe let someone go because no money to make... i am only tech who made money (hourly) while other techs are either flat rate or guareete (40 hours x 15.00 dollars a week)
Old 10-25-2008, 10:26 AM   #133
Hutchman

I just quit my job as a GM service tech, basically because of flat rate. In my very small shop we had two flat rate techs and an hourly paid apprentice. First, they laid off the car wash guy, then they moved the apprentice to car wash. About a month ago, there was a rumor that they were getting ready to hire a third flat rate tech. I told my counterpart, who is also the lead tech, that if they ran the ad for another tech they needed to hire two since I would quit if they hired another one. Two weeks ago my daughter asked me if I'd seen the ad in the local paper for a tech at my dealer. I hadn't, but fished the paper out of the trash, and found the ad. On monday morning, they had my notice. I'm fortunate enough to have a pension to fall back on so I can do something like that. Most people aren't as fortunate. In the big cities, the techs are much better compensated than here in the small towns. Here, there are no paid benefits, no pension, little or no match on the 401K, and no pay guarantees. What these dealers do is over hire techs and let them fight over too few hours. What do they care-if a flat rate tech isn't working here, he's free. In the old days, techs sometimes got as much as 50% of the shop's labor rate. Now, around here it's more like 20-25%. The only techs I know who aren't really struggling are the ones working on the side.
Uh oh, just got orders to watch the grandbaby. Gotta go, Hutch
Hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:00 AM   #134
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

congratulations hutch - f' em
going to a GM job interview now , gotta keep trying
Old 10-25-2008, 11:32 AM   #135
Hutchman

My shop is nearly done-just have to run power, wire it, and install a lift. I'll probably just work out of it some and keep ALL the labor for myself.
Good luck SpiderGearsMan!
Hutch
Hutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 PM   #136
davestlouis

Flat rate body men can make great money, but mechanical techs have it tough, they have time-studied mechanical operations to death, there's no "gravy" left. When I worked in a body shop, several techs made over $150K a year. They busted their humps, but straightening 15.0 hour quarters and 8.0 hr bumper covers made them a good living.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #137
davestlouis

Painters did really too in that shop too...I had a young painter who could flag 200+ hours a week, at $25.hr.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:08 PM   #138
tatra

deafautotech..........if you can get on with a city/ state province[can.] job do so......and with your disability as an asset to secure a job, do so and don't for one minute feel you are taking advantage of something you are not entitled to............minorities of colour would not give two thoughts to do the same[ yeh, i'm white, big deal]..........training would be more forth coming too i would think................
tatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #139
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

the offer wasn't all that , higher guarantee [37.5-25 hours at mopar ]but 5.50 an hour less , we have to see what benefitos cost , but , it is so hard to make hours at chrysler ,
they can take advantage as so many gm stores have closed up ...pondering .....
Old 10-26-2008, 12:58 PM   #140
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

German carmaker Daimler, hit by falling demand amid the global financial crisis, plans to suspend production for a month beginning in December, a newspaper said in report due to appear Sunday. The break in production would begin on December 11 and last until January 12, Frankfurter Sonntagszeitung reported, citing a company spokesman.

Daimler, the first luxury car maker to present its quarterly results, unveiled big falls in profits on Thursday and issued a new profit warning owing to the global banking crisis.

"The financial crisis is turning into an economic crisis," Daimler chairman Dieter Zetsche told a telephone news conference. It provoked "in recent weeks a dramatic slump on our major markets," he said
Old 10-26-2008, 01:46 PM   #141
speed bump

Not really a closing but our Lithia dodge dealership just got sold to some Nissian dealership 4 hours away.

If I was looking for a dealership job right now I would look at a Ford dealership in Rock Spring WY. You will get really really good at fixing Halliburton f-350s with broken powersmokes and generally have a backlog of 5 or 6 sitting outside.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM   #142
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

WYOMING??? I went for a job interview in lander wyoming
no pay and the the dealers are all 400 miles apart
dick cheney land would be cool with me
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #143
speed bump

Quote:
WYOMING??? I went for a job interview in lander wyoming
no pay and the the dealers are all 400 miles apart
dick cheney land would be cool with me
Landers not all that great, I would look at Gillete or Casper or Rock Springs or Rawlins if you want a place that pays decent. Just remember two things 1.) you get some awesome weather to deal with (note: this is sarcasm) 2.) Wyoming has no state income tax and housing is fairly cheap so the cost of living is alot lower.

Also what are you looking for in starting pay, I know the techs at our Ford dealership are making about $40k which means here you can have a decent middle class life but I don't know what anybody else is making.
speed bump is offline   Reply With Quote