Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > Fabrication & Techniques

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-25-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
MR_T

Default $300 to fix minor rust spots on hood, Am I getting ripped off ? Possible DIY ?

Took my car to a body shop today, (no clue if it is reputable, just goggled the closes one) And the dude wanted close to $300 to sand down my entire hood and repaint it because of minor rusting. Pictures are attached, there are a couple more tiny spots on the top left side but its all surface rust. I am not a pro but would it be possible for me to buff out the rust spots and use touch up paint or something ? I want to do something about it so that it does not spread. Or should I shop around ?

MR_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2
jhelrey

Default Re: $300 to fix minor rust spots on hood, Am I getting ripped off ? Possible DIY ?

$300.00 to repaint a Honda hood sounds like a great deal!
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
vintagefan

Default Re: $300 to fix minor rust spots on hood, Am I getting ripped off ? Possible DIY ?

When repaint is involved, you're usually lucky to get out for $500+ per body panel. Look at the guys work, and if it's legit, take the deal.
vintagefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #4
warmpancakes

need to see the underside of the front off the hood before we call it Minor

"If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold.......you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
Bear Bryant

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.
warmpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:22 PM   #5
garfunkle24

Send a message via MSN to garfunkle24

Instead of asking here why not just check out a couple more places? If you're not happy with the price, of course you should shop around. Bears also shit in the woods. Anything else?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:23 PM   #6
MR_T

So you guys think that the whole hood needs a repaint from the pics ?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:28 PM   #7
warmpancakes

is he just gonna sand and repaint the hood, or treat the rust? If its a sand and repaint it will be back next year

"If you want to walk the heavenly streets of gold.......you gotta know the password, "Roll, tide, roll!"
Bear Bryant

Note: This post may contain misspellings, grammatical errors, disorganized sentence structure, or may entirely lack a coherent theme. These elements are natural to the process of writing, and will only add to the overall beauty of the post.
warmpancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #8
Drunken Yak inc
Alliance Member

Honestly, $300 sounds low to have it properly done. The rust will have to be sanded and treated, then the entire hood will need to be repainted. I highly doubt a spot repair would be able to be blended properly due to the age of the paint. I'm not by any means a paint expert, so YMMV.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:07 PM   #9
buick64203

The materials alone are probably close to $300. Now add in a couple hours of shop time. I dont see how there is any money in the job.
buick64203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 PM   #10
wornoutoldman

Go to walmart to find a paint match and rattlecan it. $15.00 tops!

"Shining star for you to see, what your life can truly be".

Wanna keep track of all your vehicles maintenance? Click here!
wornoutoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:30 PM   #11
Need4racin
Banned

Well it's not a hard job, but it's not a gravy blend in job either. If the rest of the paint is in bad condition then the whole hood will need repainted. Ask him if hes going to sand it down to bare metal, that's the proper way to do it, but some don't on low priced jobs. That rust to me looks like old rock chips that surface rusted over. I'm guessing it's not rust from salt. If it's actual rust holes on the underside it's a more involved job. And you'll probably be getting the hack and pack special at $300 for rust holes.

If you don't care about the quality of the paint and just don't want bare metal rusting over, ask for a price on just a blend job on the front end of the hood. It's going to be noticeable that it was repainted on that part if the rest of the hood's paint is thin/weak; but it should cut the price to $200 or less.

Last edited by Need4racin; 04-25-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Need4racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:44 PM   #12
HaroRider

The touch up idea will work, but it depends on how you want it to look. Touch up paint does NOT look good. Paint work is expensive. $300 sounds like a good deal, but make sure his work is up to your liking before you commit.

Usally you get what you pay for when it comes to body work.

One guy can do it for cheap and you can have mis matched and orange peel paint.

Or you can pay top dollar for an excellent job. Its your call. Shop around, look at each body shops work before you commit to that shop.
Arguing with a woman is like trying to keep a starved grizzly bear with a tapeworm from eating you while you are in a straight jacket with leg chains on and tied to a cannon ball. Chances are its not going to be a good outcome for you in either case.
HaroRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:01 PM   #13
IndyGarage

Looks like you drove through a sandstorm. I've never been able to get a perfect job with touch up paint, but I have been able to get something that looks better than rust spots.

If it's a show car, spend the money. For a daily driver, carefully sand them down, neutralize the rust, prime with epoxy, then paint over it with touch up paint.

At worst, you screw it up, then take it to the guy to repaint it.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
Need4racin
Banned

If you want to save some more money, tell him you'll wet sand and correct the paint. All he needs to do is prep and spray.

If you don't want to do that, man up and pay for it, no whining about price.
Need4racin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #15
buick64203

Most reputable shops wont paint over someone elses work. Reason being, what if the paint starts to lift? Whos fault is it?
buick64203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #16
wrenchr

Send a message via AIM to wrenchr

Body work period is costly, materials cost what they cost so the only haggle room is your labor and that is not fun since everyone, well most everyone wants top notch work done for the cost of less than materials.
wrenchr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:25 PM   #17
JeepsAreBuilt

I bet the whole hood has rock chips.. maybe not rusty yet. So, to fix it properly, it'd have to be sanded down, primed, prepped, then painted. $300 is not enough.

Another option is.. buy a new hood for $100-150 and put it on yourself... then have them paint it for $200.
JeepsAreBuilt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:43 AM   #18
jhelrey

Hondas rust like that via the rock chips. It won't have holes through it.
jhelrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #19
MR_T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhelrey View Post
Hondas rust like that via the rock chips. It won't have holes through it.
This is all surface rust, I will upload pics later but the rust does not go through to the bottom of the hood. There is absolutely no sign of it on the other side.
Old 04-26-2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Super Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepsAreBuilt View Post
Another option is.. buy a new hood for $100-150 and put it on yourself... then have them paint it for $200.
^This, although I'd wait until the rust got worse (if it does).
Super Sport is offline   Reply With Quote