Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-06-2012, 06:33 PM   #1
Strouty

Default Building a hot water pressure washer, how would you do it?

I was looking at some of the prices for hot water pressure washers, ouch they are expensive. I thought about taking a small cold water unit and using a propane or electric on demand tankless water heater. If you get a pressure washer that has 3GPM flow and a tankless heater with the same, wouldn't that cover you? I did research used units, but they all seem like a problem waiting to happen.

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Strouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #2
chadster1

Default Re: Building a hot water pressure washer, how would you do it?

I have a tankless water heater in my house. When I had the house built, I had a hot water spigot installed on the side of the house near the driveway. I use my gas powered pressure washer hooked up to the hot water spigot all the time.

Check out my thread in the classifieds for some great deals on some Genius Tool sets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254801
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
CoSnipe

If your using a pressure washer at your house just run it off your hot water heater. Works for me washing my dirt bikes afterv a weekend of riding.just don't get the water too hot it'll toast the seals in a pressure calving not designed for hot water. My .02
CoSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:56 PM   #4
Strouty

And it was not an issue? It makes sense that it would work, I guess my concern would be destruction of the cold water pressure washer. Would it hurt the seals or overheat it or something? I saw northern tools sold an add on heat unit for the larger pressure washers. I figure the cost of a cheap unit and a tankless water heater would be easier to swallow. If I set it up your way, it would also heat the water for my shop. I am only planning on washing engine bays and trucks, nothing like a full time use.

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:59 PM   #5
lilredex

The washer I have will handle 180* water and I have used it with water directly from the hot water tank, as above.

It originally came from Princess Auto with a Hypro Twin pump, coupled directly to a 1725 RPM 1 1/2 HP motor, similar to these:

http://www.rittenhouse.ca/asp/Product.asp?PG=891
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #6
CoSnipe

Re: it depends on the pressure washer, I don't run the water too hot. It's just a suggestion, take it at face value.
CoSnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #7
chadster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strouty View Post
And it was not an issue? It makes sense that it would work, I guess my concern would be destruction of the cold water pressure washer. Would it hurt the seals or overheat it or something? I saw northern tools sold an add on heat unit for the larger pressure washers. I figure the cost of a cheap unit and a tankless water heater would be easier to swallow. If I set it up your way, it would also heat the water for my shop. I am only planning on washing engine bays and trucks, nothing like a full time use.
No problems in 5 years. My pressure washer is from northern tools, it has a comet pump.

Check out my thread in the classifieds for some great deals on some Genius Tool sets.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=254801
chadster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #8
Az Scooter

Most pressure washers will lose their seals at about 150 degrees. There some that can take up to 180 degrees. Most hot water heaters are set at 125 degrees so you can't burn yourself too much.
Az Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #9
djkeev

My John Deere 4000 PSI pressure washer is only rated for 140 degrees, above that damages seals and check valves........they say.

I'd suggest you proceed cautiously.

I've had kerosene fired pressure washers that produced some ridiculously HOT water, almost steam like! Worked but also damaged items as well.

Dave
djkeev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #10
Full Throttle

been using a Northern 3500 with Cat pump for 6 yrs on 120-135* water no issues.
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #11
Sureshot

Any heater you use is going to bump the temp by x number of degrees for your flow rate. You could always run "warm" water to the pump them boost it to "hot" after the pump with a homebuilt unit or a cheaper model.

I have a shower valve to supply my pressure washer and use the electric 40 gallon water heater in the shop. I don't boost the temp just like to have somewhat warm water for washing etc.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:47 PM   #12
JASTECH

I like where this is going/went! I can't use my "water heater" sence it's in the basement and turned off. I was planning on the Instant Heat's for the house to cut bill cost anyways. So matching the gph will get you the 150 or ? Let use know which I.H. unit is used and results please. How hot does the output need to be for shop floor, engine bay ect.
JASTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:52 PM   #13
pmiracing
Banned

Most heated pressure washers heat the water AFTER the pump. This way you can get the water HOT without cooking the pump. If you look at a factory made unit they use a high pressure coil that is insulated on the outside and the fire flows around the high pressure coil to heat the water. I don't think you would hurt anything running "warmed water" through the pump but hot water (180-250) will eventually cook the pump.
pmiracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:06 PM   #14
Strouty

What about hooking up the tankless heater after the pump? I can get a 3 GPM heater and if the pressure washer is only 2.5 GPM then in theory, it would be able to keep up? I don't need crazy hot water anyways, just the warm, 130 degree water. I might start searching on making a pressure washer from scratch. Someone must make high temp pumps. I can't imagine that you have to spend $1500 to make one. Anyone every built one?

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 AM   #15
Sureshot

Quote:
What about hooking up the tankless heater after the pump? I can get a 3 GPM heater and if the pressure washer is only 2.5 GPM then in theory, it would be able to keep up? I don't need crazy hot water anyways, just the warm, 130 degree water. I might start searching on making a pressure washer from scratch. Someone must make high temp pumps. I can't imagine that you have to spend $1500 to make one. Anyone every built one?
Make sure you stand back when you put the 2500-3000 psi on that water heater. Also warn the FAA.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #16
shurik06_83

toss the stock exhaust on a gas washer unit and plumb something up out of copper tubing then wrap the pipe with in a tight coile with soft coper line

ur copper exhaust will have to be really long to trap the most heat

and then it wont be perfect but but u should get warm watter and really hot water for the first min or 2
shurik06_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #17
Strouty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot View Post
Make sure you stand back when you put the 2500-3000 psi on that water heater. Also warn the FAA.
I guess that would be an issue, I was paying attention to flow not pressure. I think it would have been obvious before I would have gone too far.

Useless hands

Deadlines amuse me.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:51 PM   #18
Sureshot

Quote:
I guess that would be an issue, I was paying attention to flow not pressure. I think it would have been obvious before I would have gone too far.
I figured it to be a temporary thought

And then the light came on
Old 05-14-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
IndyGarage

Find a used hot washer - I looked for about a year before I found one at a decent price - then within a week I found three of them.

First, I bought an old clapped out Electro-magic unit on CL for $200. It worked fine after I replaced the burner pump, but I was a bit disappointed with the 110V pressure pump output, and the burner is old enough I'm a bit afraid to put a bigger pump on it. It's OK as is, because you just plug it into a 110 line and hook water to it.

Shortly after that I found two Mi T M portables missing their engines and with unknown problems. One of them ran good after I put a $110 Harbor Freight 208cc engine on it. I used it for about 15 hours over the past couple weeks.

The second one didn't work because it had a bad pressure pump. I'm putting a honda GX390 and pump from my cold washer onto that one - because I just love the high pressure high flow I get from it. I just have to make a pulley and spacer that fits between the pump and the engine to run the belt for the burner generator and pump. If I can get that to work, I'll sell off the others.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
Busted_Knuckles

Id look for a nice used one at a sale, around here they are common. I got mine from a city muni sale, its a Mi-T-M, made in Iowa, the entire frame and sheet metal of the machine is stainless, its got a 180 degree burner, and a 220v electric motor. $350.

Just cant put anything together for that little amount of money, would love to know what they paid for it new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 07-28-2011 041.jpg (102.1 KB, 22 views)
Busted_Knuckles is offline   Reply With Quote