Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM   #1
cgv69

Default Craftsman Vise made in the USA?

What can you tell me about this apparently made in the USA Craftsman Vise? What you see in the pic is all I know about it. I don't know when CM started getting vises from China so I'm not sure how old this vise is or who it was probably made by? Thanks

cgv69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:01 AM   #2
Outlawmws

Default Re: Craftsman Vise made in the USA?

What is the cast in model no on it? Not sure that will help as that is certainly one of the later vises, (not 50's-60's), and it definitely does not show in the 73 catalog. The chromed handle also places it as newer IMO.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
Titanium Steel

Wow, didn't think I'd ever have the chance to see this Vise again. It's been about a decade or so since I've seen this, but I had a neighbor who had seemingly same Craftsman Vise and I think he told me this was made in early 1980's. I think he might have said 1982 or 1984, but I am not really sure.

It's been a long time since I last saw this item though.
Titanium Steel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
cgv69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawmws View Post
What is the cast in model no on it?
No idea - Like I said all I have is that pic right now. I have contacted the seller and am hoping to swing by his place tonight to look at it and probably buy it assuming it looks as good in person as it does in the pic.

The seller actually has the 5" and 4" version of this vice. I'm looking at the 4" as I already have a 5.5" Wilton and just want something smaller for my basement gunshop.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #5
cgv69

I picked it up this evening. On the side under where it says Craftsman, is also a raised cast in number "51854". Underneath is the number 76653-03

Be honest with you, this is one of those tools that proves not all things "made in the USA" are top quality. This vice is not a complete POS but it's pretty cheap compared to my Wilton. Then again, that's probably not a fair comparison either?

It should work for what I need it for and was cheap and not Chinese so I guess I won't complain.

Anyway if any of you have any more info about it, I'd appreciate it. My guess is this vice is around 15 years old?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:43 PM   #6
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgv69 View Post
I picked it up this evening. On the side under where it says Craftsman, is also a raised cast in number "51854". Underneath is the number 76653-03

Be honest with you, this is one of those tools that proves not all things "made in the USA" are top quality. This vice is not a complete POS but it's pretty cheap compared to my Wilton. Then again, that's probably not a fair comparison either?

It should work for what I need it for and was cheap and not Chinese so I guess I won't complain.

Anyway if any of you have any more info about it, I'd appreciate it. My guess is this vice is around 15 years old?
Apples and oranges. A Wilton is by any definition a pro vise (excepting their import non-bullets...) and the Craftsman you picked up is aimed at the homeowner market. Within its class, its probably a decent vise. Outside that and into the heavyweights...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM   #7
fatboy621

I have the same vise only a six inch, I assume from the model number this is a four inch. I agree not a total POS but close. The holes to secure the reversible jaw are really low to the bottom edge. My son has some how managed to break two sets. I went to sears after the first set broke but they didn't have them and had no clue if they could get them. So off to the web I went. Found them and was floored at the price, $45 plus shipping. I bit and in two days hd them in the mail. These were not from sears and looked like they were made better. Lasted three weeks! After that I had my neighbor, who is a machinist make a set out of cold rolled steel. So far these have held up, I just don't let my son hammer at it!
fatboy621 is offline   Reply With Quote