Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 PM   #1
AverageJoe

Default Best way to keep floor clean: snow, water, etc.

I've read the various pros and cons about Racedeck, VCT, epoxy, etc. Here in snowy Michigan one of the things that drives me crazy is the dirty snow and ice and leftover water all over the floor. I worry about epoxy and tile, etc. looking just as bad as bare concrete. The mesh type products probably let that stuff drip through so it at least looks good on top... but then what about all that gunk underneath? I don't have drains in my garage.

I don't prefer the cost of tiles, etc. But it does look nice. Is it a hassle to get it out of there? Do you have take it apart to do so? Does anyone have any tricks and tips for the snow, mud, water issue with tile and/or epoxy or similar floor?

See my page at:
http://averagejoesgarage.googlepages.com/
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:59 AM   #2
nissan_crawler

Default Re: Best way to keep floor clean: snow, water, etc.

rust-oleum epoxy for 5 years, no trouble. I put it down with light sand in it, still easily sweepable/easy to squeegee.
nissan_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM   #3
comp

somebody posted a link to a company that has drive on runners/trays that help catch alot
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #4
Jason B

Send a message via AIM to Jason B Send a message via MSN to Jason B Send a message via Yahoo to Jason B

I just layed some cardboard down under where the stuff would fall. Has been working fine with my VCT.
Jason B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #5
AverageJoe

Hey Comp, I'll look for the thread about the drive on runners/trays - that sounds interesting. (And, heard about the tornado in Evansville, assuming that's where you are - wierd weather it sounds like.) As for the cardboard, Jason, that seems like a good simple solution. However, alot of the gunk in winter comes off the tires or builds behind the tires on the car itself. Do you part cardboard down to deal with that stuff rather than under the body or engine itself?

See my page at:
http://averagejoesgarage.googlepages.com/
AverageJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #6
Rte66Charlie

What kind of floor do you have now? Are these questions in anticipation of a particular type of flooring, depending on the answers? Just curious, I have a garage floor on hold due to the (cold) weather and just wondering what your concerns are.

Epoxy should be a no brainer - nothing is going to get into it, sweep/wipe/wash, you are good to go. VCT? Does the adhesive squeeze up through the tiles enough to completely seal the floor? I don't know. Racedeck?? Lots of folks on here swear by it but I'm concerned about the seepage through the tiles and with the "open" tiles when you are washing it out, what about the crap that flows out under your "unopen" (for lack of a better term) tiles?

As far as ease of maintenance, I'm leaning toward epoxy (WolverineCoatings, expect a pm/email soon!) but I'd like anybody with other info to chime in!!!
Rte66Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 01:00 AM   #7
Rte66Charlie

Hey Wolverine - just saw the "how to contact...." threat......

I'll go that route - thanks!!
Rte66Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #8
RaceDeck1

You should also look at the RaceDeck FreeFlow tile. It works fantastic in wet snowy climates.I use it on my garage where I park my truck that dumps a ton of snow everyday. I live in the Wasatch mountains of Utah http://www.racedeck.com/freeflow.html
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

"All Garage Journal Members Get Exclusive Deals"

http://www.racedeck.com - 800-457-0174
"My Garage Makes Me Happy™
RaceDeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:09 PM   #9
RaceDeck1

On the issue of 'seepage' or what get under neath. Most garages in wet climates are pitched ( or at least have a drain ). The FreeFlow tile is designed to allow anything that goes through the top surface will flow freely through the understructure. In my garage, it just runs out the door, I can even wash my car all winter long in garage.
The best part is that you will not drag in mud and dirt to your house.
Proudly made in the U.S.A / All under "1" roof - ISO 9001:2008 Certified for Quality

"Imitation Is The Sincerest Form of Inferiority" insist on Genuine RaceDeck® Flooring

"All Garage Journal Members Get Exclusive Deals"

http://www.racedeck.com - 800-457-0174
"My Garage Makes Me Happy™
RaceDeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
boiler7904

I've got epoxy in my garage. My commute is an hour plus each way on the highway. The step tubes down each side of my truck pick up all kinds of salt, sand, cinders on the road in the winter. Whenever we get a warm day, I hose it out the heavy dirt to avoid scratches and then mop it with some Simple Green. Rinse and squeegee away any standing water. It takes about a half an hour to make the floor in my 2 car garage look like new. My garage isn't heated so I only do it if the temp will be at or above freezing for a few hours while it dries.

The most important thing to do regardless of the floor you choose is to brush of all the snow you can get to and then get the snow out of the wheel wells and off the running boards the best you can. Convincing your wife or girlfriend to do the same is a monumental task that I commend you on if you can actually be successful at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower View Post
Oh, and it's BMWPower. I do have powerful BM's but wouldn't want everyone to know all my secrets.
boiler7904 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:50 AM   #11
comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageJoe View Post
Hey Comp, I'll look for the thread about the drive on runners/trays - that sounds interesting. (And, heard about the tornado in Evansville, assuming that's where you are - wierd weather it sounds like.) As for the cardboard, Jason, that seems like a good simple solution. However, alot of the gunk in winter comes off the tires or builds behind the tires on the car itself. Do you part cardboard down to deal with that stuff rather than under the body or engine itself?
yep thats where i am ,,thanks . We get them a lot
comp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:38 AM   #12
Kevin54

Quote:
I've got epoxy in my garage. My commute is an hour plus each way on the highway. The step tubes down each side of my truck pick up all kinds of salt, sand, cinders on the road in the winter. Whenever we get a warm day, I hose it out the heavy dirt to avoid scratches and then mop it with some Simple Green. Rinse and squeegee away any standing water. It takes about a half an hour to make the floor in my 2 car garage look like new. My garage isn't heated so I only do it if the temp will be at or above freezing for a few hours while it dries
Other than the hour commute, that is exactly what I do. SImple Green is the "cat's patoot". I just put some in a 5 gal. bucket, fill it up, slop it over the floor, take a broom and scrub it up, then rinse and squeegee. The Simple Green leaves a clean smell also. As far as the RaceDeck, etc, and not to knock a product as I would love to have it on my garage floor, but when dirty, gritty, snowy, salty water runs through and the water runs or drains out from underneath, you are still left with the crud. After one winter of dripping the crud through the tiles, there is no way that it does not have a ton of dirt underneath. After awhile, the dirt will cake and slow the seapage of water from draining. It happens on floor drains, it will happen under a tile. And when it does happen, you will start to get a musty smell. For water to evaporate, it needs air, if something is underneath a tile it will take quite a while longer to evaporate, and after the previous dirt gets damp, it will take longer and longer each time, until you have a very prolonged dry spell.

Kevin
Kevin54 is offline   Reply With Quote