Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Buzzard217

Default coating compressor tank?

Would it be worth while to coat the inside of a compressor tank like you would a gas tank? Just thinking preventative maintenance before rust has a chance to eat a hole in whatever new to me compressor I get.
Buzzard217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:19 PM   #2
NOZZLEMAN

Default Re: coating compressor tank?

Cheaper and less problematic to install an automatic moisture ejector. I do know the NHRA Safety Safari trucks use a common air tank and coat it with a bed liner like industrial coating on the inside and fill it with water and ColdFire (a VERY corrosive extinguishing agent) and it lasts about 3-4 seasons. They were getting 1 on bare steel.
Good Luck
NOZZLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
rlitman

Weird. If they're filling it with liquid, I would expect that they would use an anode rod, and it should last a really long time.

With an air filled tank, that's another story. If there is a pinhole, or even a scratch in the coating that lets moisture get through, it will leave a pocket that can corrode faster underneath the coating, than if were no coating at all.
This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, with the exception of something like a zinc coating, but that has its own down sides.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 04:37 PM   #4
pop pop

Always wondered if you could coat the inside with something like the old GE Glyptol paint. Don't know if even that is still available.
pop pop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
nehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlitman View Post
Weird. If they're filling it with liquid, I would expect that they would use an anode rod, and it should last a really long time...
Anode rod work for galvanic corrosion, but would be meaningless against many other types of corrosive agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pop pop View Post
Always wondered if you could coat the inside with something like the old GE Glyptol paint. Don't know if even that is still available.
Yes, Gliptol is still available... Very expensive, much more than the cost of an automatic drain!

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95 For Sale)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #6
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nehog View Post
Anode rod work for galvanic corrosion, but would be meaningless against many other types of corrosive agents.
Please explain this. Corrosion is an oxidiation process. It is a redox reaction, and that is a galvanic process which an anode will help with.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 07:05 AM   #7
nehog

Anode rods are sacrificial, where you have a 'battery' caused by dissimilar metals. A strong corrosive agent would just dissolve the anode rod in a few minutes (perhaps with other unintended consequences!)

30 x 60, oops, 30 x 72 (it got larger!) with a Rotary 10K lift.

AM General H1 NA Wagon (95 For Sale)
AM General H1 Turbo Wagon (99)
Dodge Ram 2500 Hemi
Saab Turbo Convertible
VW Cabriolet
nehog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:08 PM   #8
stonesfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard217 View Post
Would it be worth while to coat the inside of a compressor tank like you would a gas tank? Just thinking preventative maintenance before rust has a chance to eat a hole in whatever new to me compressor I get.
Coating the tank will certainly help prevent corrosion, but it is tricky for a DIYer to get a good coat on the inside of a tank once the tank is welded together. As someone else pointed out you are better off with an auto drain valve.
stonesfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote