Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-12-2012, 09:37 PM   #21
JDS968

Default Re: Ebay Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagefan View Post
The only thing this auction is missing is the seller adding "RARE LoOk WoW!!!" to the description.

I don't know why, but a description like "WOW! Crappy busted up rusty old Snap-on extension with overpriced Buy It Now price, RARE LoOk W@W!!!!", just really irritates me for some reason.

I have a personal principle that I do not bid on/purchase any item that contains "WOW", "RARE", or "LOOK" in the description.

I know exactly what you mean, it bothers me in some way I can't exactly explain, and Craigslist is an order of magnitude worse.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:56 PM   #22
earlthegoat2

Around here it is L@@K.

Looked like a nice ratchet before it got butchered.

As to the idiots bidding on it and whether or not they should be warned somehow: CAVEAT EMPTOR
Old 05-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #23
JDS968

Maybe this is just my latent OCD coming out but...every time I look at that ratchet, I think to myself that they should have cut it just a tiny bit longer, so that the radius of the curve would measure equally from all three points of the raised panel. Anybody else notice that, or is it just me?

Um, yeah, nevermind.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:35 PM   #24
pipsters

Searching for vacuum pumps on ebay I found a seller who has sold 37 of Harbor Freight's air powered vacuum pumps for $35/pop + $13 in shipping. I doubt he is spending $13 on shipping (flat rate USPS for $11) but even if he is, he's made around $700 after fees on that item alone as it's under $13 @ Harbor Freight.

Ebay makes it hard to comparison shop so people just assume. Nothing wrong with that.
pipsters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 PM   #25
magova1104

The crazy things you see on eBay! Not really worth getting angry. You can report the item but does not guarantee that they will remove it.
Remember that there are people for everything. You can't catch people who steal or protect those who are stolen.
I know many here are honest sellers and that affects us. Things that are not legitimate, sooner or later have a bad end. (Bad Feedbacks, Poor Score, Paypal Claim)
I have an idea to help: Let's make a new section here,related to scams on eBay, every time you see something suspicious, let's put it there, if more than one person report it, eBay will remove the item.
magova1104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 01:49 AM   #26
Dick in Wisconsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oolhound View Post
Yeah, he should have explained it in the description.

I don't mind if someone uses the word "rare" if it truly is rare however it really bugs me too if it is misused.
He might have meant that the tool is something "rarely seen".
Dick in Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 04:55 AM   #27
booya719

Modified tools are not always necessarily worthless in value. Reporting the item is just silly. He's not scamming anyone. It's highly likely the guy bidding on it knows it's cut and wants it that way for its uniqueness. $60 is nothing to a lot of collectors.
booya719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 08:51 AM   #28
acer66

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCscoutguy View Post
That was just added in the past few hours. It is good that he is being honest though in his answers but he should have been honest upfront and included that information in his original title and listing description.
That was me, I just asked him if the tool was cut off and that`s what he responded.
acer66 is offline   Reply With Quote