Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2012, 08:33 PM   #1
kert

Default Need help raising trusses

I will be setting trusses for my 30x60 in a couple weeks, and I'm looking for some suggestions.

The trusses will be 30' span room in attic with no overhang with no overhang weighing 230lbs a piece. My main level ceiling will be 10' and the trusses will be 12' tall. With about 9' from the bottom of the bottom cord to the bottom of the attic "ceiling joist." I will be building my own end-frames.

The last 16' will have a different roof system and I will leave out a section of wall, so I should have some room to maneuver a piece of equipment inside.

I'm thinking my best option is a "shooting boor fork lift." I would ue a strong-back and chain to lift each truss into place and have a person ready on each wall to position and attach each truss as it comes. Does this sound like a good plan?

The next question I have is how do I set the first truss and get it braced? I'm thinking maybe I should build and attach the end-frame so that I can set it on the end-wall and it will be relatively stable and then I can continue with diagonal bracing as I add trusses. Any other ideas? I don't think it is very reasonable to try to brace to the ground as the end where I plan to start is probably another 4' lower than the slab where I would be bracing.
kert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #2
Full Throttle

Default Re: Need help raising trusses

Hire a Crane

only advice to be given
Full Throttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
Steevo

My best advice is to have something that can lift the trusses into place without having to be inside the structure. Basically, like FullThrottle said, a crane.
That, and watch weather reports for a calm day. Raising trusses in the wind can be extremely unpredictable.

Carpe Mañana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:11 PM   #4
RivennHewn

Doesn't your supplier have a boom truck?
RivennHewn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
MP&C

When we built my house and garage, the delivery truck came with a boom. They would set the trusses off in a pile, or if you had the help ready would set the trusses in place for an hourly rate. Well worth the money.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
Charles (in GA)

Down here, all the trucks I've seen delivering trusses are flat beds with no booms. The trusses are tightly banded together and the trailers have a distinct downslope from front to rear, some have rollers built into the bed. They literally slide/roll them off the back of the truck or trailer and pull away, leaving the bundle laying on the ground.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
64dragnwagon

Not recommending it but my builders put up my 30' scissor trusses by hand with 3 guys. They walked one side up a ladder on the 13' wall and then the other side up another ladder with the center point of the truss pointing down then a guy in the middle pushed the center point of the truss up thereby pivoting it into an upright position. Then the two guys on the ladder nailed them to the wall header. I was amazed before I saw it when they told me they always do it with no equipment.

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=138158
64dragnwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
kwb

All of mine have been delivered to top plate of the new construction so long as the walls were up.

If the floor is in -buy a small cheap cushion tire forklift and sell it when the building is done (you might find that you never want to sell it). My shop I had the floor in and had a small scissorlift that I used to move trusses into place. Forklift would have been much better.

If not a Telehandler works great for placing trusses and can be rented for a weekend and have great manuverablity if the site is a bit tight. We used one on my brothers shop for placing trusses, lifting/tilting walls, getting sheeting up to the roof, working in a basket on the forks to do siding, lots of good stuff.
kwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:52 PM   #9
srmofo

I raised my trusses by hand on 10' walls 24x36. Mine were nearly as large/heavy as yours. I would not want to do those by hand.

My buddy rented a crane for a couple hours and it was remarkably cheaper than I was expecting. It came with a operator and a spotter. we just hooked them up and fastened them down.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #10
Sureshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dragnwagon View Post
Not recommending it but my builders put up my 30' scissor trusses by hand with 3 guys. They walked one side up a ladder on the 13' wall and then the other side up another ladder with the center point of the truss pointing down then a guy in the middle pushed the center point of the truss up thereby pivoting it into an upright position. Then the two guys on the ladder nailed them to the wall header. I was amazed before I saw it when they told me they always do it with no equipment.
This is how I did my 26x26 as well but it was only 3/12 pitch.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #11
Justanoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64dragnwagon View Post
Exactly how I did mine.
Pretty easy really.
Justanoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:06 AM   #12
ForceFed70

Hired a crane to do mine, was worth every penny.

To set the 1st truss, I screwed some vertical 2x4's to the exterior wall and affixed the gable end truss to the 2x4's.
ForceFed70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #13
mrobins297aaa

here's how they did mine, there 36' footers

mrobins297aaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 AM   #14
Steroblan

If you have post beam construction, and the posts have not been cut to height yet, we made a simple cable hoist for each end of the truss that fit over the top of the post. It was made with a 10ga sheet metal cap with a base for the cheap boat winch. One on each end of the truss and pulled it up to the exact height. Can be done with two guys. See the link to see the construction style. It can be adapted for single or double trusses.
http://www.maccometalbuildings.com/i...&id=6&Itemid=6
Steroblan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM   #15
IndyGarage

I've done them like the above photos before, it's slow, hard work, but you can do it.

230 lbs is not outrageously heavy - If you really wanted to go cheap, You could probably build a tall wrecker-type A shaped boom out of wood or some 20 foot long metal tubing and mount a pulley block on the end. Then mount it in the back of a pickup truck, and put a hand winch and cable on it. You have to be able to get the peak of the trusses, so I don't know how high that is.

They make devices that fit on Bobcat buckets or front loader buckets to do that. You could also use the boom of a mini excavator, or an offroad forkilift would be ideal. I'm quite certain your local tool rental can fix you up with something pretty easily and you'd probably get a single day charge, if you take the time to lay everything out ahead of time . Never underestimate the value of heavy equipment to make a job much easier. .

Google "truss setting boom" and click on the "images" tab and you'll get 100's of ideas.
IndyGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:19 AM   #16
ddawg16

Material Lift....

I rented one for $50 for the weekend....good for several hundred pounds...and you can get them to lift stuff up to about 18'.

Click on the link in my signature....I lifted a couple of beams that were serveral hundred pounds....

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
camarotoolman
Banned

I would hire a framing crew and be done with it. Have them deck it and dry it in too.
camarotoolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 06:10 AM   #18
yost69

We set the first house by hand with 4 guys. One on each end and one in the middle. The last one got the next truss ready to be set.

Now we use an old bucket truck that used to be owned by the electric company.

I would rent a crane and operator or see if any place in your area rents bigger bucket trucks.

But I am lazy so I would not want to ever set trusses by hand again.
yost69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:22 AM   #19
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

We put our trusses up by hand but they were smaller. If you can afford it, rent out a forklift (like a JLG) if you can't, man handle them.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:34 AM   #20
dirttracker18

30 foot scissor trusses here on 12' 6" walls and we did it by hand.

I will never do that again!

I had a material handler and we made an attempt but it was too unstable to be trusted. We had an end truss tip over and get damaged. Luckily it was not a scissor.

My advice, hire a crane or boom truck. If everything is read you can have them all up in an hour that way.

www.LauraMyersPhotography.com
dirttracker18 is offline   Reply With Quote