Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-17-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Fastback

Default Best "Quality" cordless weed eater?

I am seriously tired of trying to manage a large unruly string trimmer that, while may be ideal for the barn lot, is just overkill for around my house and garage. I now have no less than TWO holes in my siding from one wrong move with this POS and I am over it. I am over the hassle of starting and storing those things. I have no issue with a 2 stroke so much, I use a chainsaw to make money, but they really dont make a light weight trimmer thats made out of magnesium like my small saws. The plastic Echo comes close but I am over gas powered trimmers.

So.
I want a simple battery operated weed eater that works and will last and allow me to replace batteries down the road. I would love it if someone made a unit that used Dewalt 18volt batteries, that would work really well and only make sense.

Its kinda sad they have commercial level cordless chain saws but I cant find anything like that in a weed eater.

I do see the "Core" trimmer, but good luck finding parts on a saturday afternoon at the hardware store for that thing. Or, anything at all for it in 2 years.

Last edited by Fastback; 05-17-2012 at 10:40 AM.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
vartz04

Default Re: Best "Quality" cordless weed eater?

http://menards.com/main/lawn-garden/...80-c-10111.htm

Grandma has this one. My uncle bought it for over there cause he has the 18v masterforce tools.

Works really well.

heres a HD 40V ryobi trimmer http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051

Last edited by vartz04; 05-17-2012 at 10:48 AM.
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
91bronc300

Yeah, my shindaiwa has eaten a hole in my siding as well. To be fair though, it's not because it's unwieldy, I just happened to lazily make the wrong move with it. I don't have any recommendations for a super light trimmer though, I'm just offering my empathy because I've scarred my house just like you
91bronc300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
rocco

i've got a ryobi 18v Lithium Ion battery unti and honestly, i can't stand it. I have to use 3 batteries to get my yard done, doesn't last.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #5
MDSPHOTO

I've had the same Homelite gas trimmer for the last 15-years. its very light and versatile.
MDSPHOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
stonesfan68

I have an 18V Ryobi lithium Ion unit and really like it. I bought an extra big battery to go with the unit, and it takes both batteries to complete my average sized yard. What I really like is that I don't have to wear ear protection or padded gloves. The 2-cycle Ryobi that I used to operate beat the crap out of me.
stonesfan68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 11:39 AM   #7
Svtpickemup

Stihl has a lithium ion line now. A little pricey, but may be what you're looking for.

Haven't used them, but I love my other Stihl stuff.

I have held them in the store...seems very well built.

http://www.stihlusa.com/lithiumion/
Svtpickemup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
Matt018

Why cant you use a 2cylce?
Matt018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
powertrip

Ryobi has a 40 volt version coming out this summer. The 18v is the lowest voltage one they have I think. There is on above it, 24v I think. Read about the 40v version at toolmonger.com
powertrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #10
vartz04

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrip View Post
Ryobi has a 40 volt version coming out this summer. The 18v is the lowest voltage one they have I think. There is on above it, 24v I think. Read about the 40v version at toolmonger.com
its out i linked to it already the first post after the OP
vartz04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
djjsr

I also have the Ryobi 18V. Got a package with a leaf blower on sale for $80 and they came with a charger and 1 lithium battery. So far, I like it.

I just checked their website and it's $99 in the stores.

http://www.homedepot.com/Outdoors-Ou...&storeId=10051

Last edited by djjsr; 05-17-2012 at 12:20 PM.
djjsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #12
franzdom

I don't understand how a cordless question can't include a gas engine option as an answer?
franzdom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:09 PM   #13
Fastback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svtpickemup View Post
Stihl has a lithium ion line now. A little pricey, but may be what you're looking for.

Haven't used them, but I love my other Stihl stuff.

I have held them in the store...seems very well built.

http://www.stihlusa.com/lithiumion/
That looks interesting, from what I can find online in a review is its over $500 to get the big battery and the charger with it. Ouch.
Fastback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 09:44 PM   #14
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastback View Post
That looks interesting, from what I can find online in a review is its over $500 to get the big battery and the charger with it. Ouch.
Yes, but it is a true 36V, and supposedly has the power of a commercial string trimmer.

Here's a question back to the OP. What size line are you using?
If you're damaging vinyl siding (although for the life of me, I can't understand why you would have siding so low to the ground that a string trimmer hits it; isn't your foundation down there), you should go down a step in line diameter.
Maybe try .080 line instead of .095, or there's even a .060 line size.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 10:08 PM   #15
Steevo

I had a B&D Grass Hog rechargeable for almost 8 years before the batteries quit taking a charge.

It worked well for lawn edging, but nothing more difficult than that.

Carpe Mañana
(The official motto of Procrastinators Anonymous)

My Workbench Build Thread

My Idaho Shop Build Thread

My Shop Photo Gallery

Steevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 12:04 AM   #16
olytdi

What Steevo said. I've had mine for about 8 years. I've changed out the small lead acid battery once in that time. It's ready to be replaced again.

It works great as an around the yard trimmer prior to or after mowing. Isn't a lot-clearing weed whacker (though I've used it to clear nettles) but works great as a string trimmer. It charges in it's hanger and can be tilted into a vertical or horizontal position.

I've been surprised how well it has lasted.
olytdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 10:03 AM   #17
2manytoyz

I bought a Greenworks string trimmer and leaf blower from Amazon.

Saw their infomercial on TV, decided to give it a go. The trimmer comes with a 20V, 6AH lithium ion battery and charger.

When I bought this a year ago, I had a relatively small yard. I've since moved to a larger place with a .66 acre lot. Still not massive, but bigger than the < 1/4 acre lot I had.

It has enough battery capacity to edge, trim, and blow off the sidewalk and driveway. I thought I'd need two batteries, but definitely not needed.

I have a number of trees and landscaping that requires trimming, along with a swale in front of the house that the mower can only partially mow.

The blower was purchased separately, and doesn't include a charger or battery. Still, it was only $33.

The trimmer works very well. No, not as powerful as a 2 cycle model, but also zero delay in starting it. No filling it with gas, pulling it a dozen times, waiting for it to warm up, blah blah. Push the button, trim.

With a push of a button on the body of the trimmer, the head pivots, and becomes an edger. This works VERY well. Easy to guide if you pull it, rather than push it forward. Hard to steer otherwise. Took a few times to figure that one out.

I have a gas string trimmer with all the attachments. I rarely use it anymore.

If you have an "average" sized yard, this is a great tool. It's not a commercial product, and isn't advertised as such. The balance is pretty good since the motor is in the head, and the battery is on the handle.

Sample video of mine in use at my last house:

http://youtu.be/FMdDlZaZ8Gg

The leaf blower works okay, but not near as powerful as the gas version. I have to make a pass down/back the 2 car driveway to get it all. With a gas powered one, I can walk down the middle, and swing the blower to get both sides at once. Then again, by the time I get the gas powered one up and running, I'm already done with the electric one!

Last edited by 2manytoyz; 05-18-2012 at 10:05 AM.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
Monte

Stihl - made in Germany/Austria
Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:44 PM   #19
Plumber Crack Kid

I think the Greenworks trimmers on Amazon are the same as the Homelite's at Home Depot, at least based on pics (different color) and user complaints.

I recently bought a corded version of the Homelite (~$25) for edge trimming ... already using a corded lawnmower, so there was no extra hassle going with the string trimmer.

Except for the Homelite being badly balanced (my other trimmer is a monster 30cc Husqvarna with a shoulder strap; maybe battery powered wouldn't be so bad with the battery as a counter-weight) and even worse when turned to edge, way too short for 6'+ people, and a crazy string advance (advances when it shuts on/off), it's a pleasure to use. It is nice pulling it out of the shed and just turning it on though ... and hopefully will even be more of a benefit next spring when I don't need to take the carb apart to get it running again.
Plumber Crack Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
unslow1

Thanks for the info. Bought the B&D Grass Hog today. Came with two batteries $80.

Last edited by unslow1; 05-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.
unslow1 is offline   Reply With Quote