Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-19-2012, 08:37 AM   #1
Daveegt

Default McCulloch chainsaw won't stay running

I have a mac 3200(McCulloch) it didn't want to stay running so I replaced the carb, still doesn't want to run without the choke on and still runs out of gas. It has a primer bulb and will squirt fuel in, it will start OK and as long as I keep the choke or primer bulb going it will sort of run full throttle. I can repeat as many times as I want. It seems that the new cab (and old) weren't pulling in gas even though I can see gas squirt into the carb with the primer bulb with just one pump after it dies. Any ideas ?
Thanks Dave

Last edited by Daveegt; 05-19-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Daveegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM   #2
awdblazer

Default Re: McCulloch chainsaw won't stay running

check the fuel filter that it isnt plugged
did you set up the idle screws?
check your fuel lines
awdblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-19-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
54FordPanel

The 2 chainsaws that I have had something like that happen to, it's been the fuel lines inside the tank. They either rot off or fall off the carb feed.
Look inside the tank. There should be 2 fuel lines (from the ones I've worked on) intact to the carb. I've had to replace those lines on 2 different chainsaws. One will have a small fuel filter on it.

My 82 Jeep Cherokee Restoration
54FordPanel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #4
Davefr

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54FordPanel View Post
The 2 chainsaws that I have had something like that happen to, it's been the fuel lines inside the tank. They either rot off or fall off the carb feed.
Look inside the tank. There should be 2 fuel lines (from the ones I've worked on) intact to the carb. I've had to replace those lines on 2 different chainsaws. One will have a small fuel filter on it.

^^^ Agree. All it takes is a tiny hairline crack in the fuel line and the carb will suck air instead of gas. (good thing the saw won't run because that can create a lean condition that can destroy the cylinder and piston from lean seize). You really need to pull the entire line out to inspect it. Cracks often appear right where the line goes through the top of the tank.

Sometimes these lines turn into a mushy slime as they degrade. This can actually cause the line to restrict the flow of fuel.

If the line hasn't been replaced recently it's a prime suspect.
Davefr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
Milton Shaw

Line and primer bulb were bad on mine, Replace all the lines and the primer bulb they have a limited life with ethanol gas. A lot of 2 cycles recommend premium gas for the oil mix.
Milton Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 08:35 PM   #6
Imcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davefr View Post
^^^ Agree. All it takes is a tiny hairline crack in the fuel line and the carb will suck air instead of gas. (good thing the saw won't run because that can create a lean condition that can destroy the cylinder and piston from lean seize). You really need to pull the entire line out to inspect it. Cracks often appear right where the line goes through the top of the tank.

Sometimes these lines turn into a mushy slime as they degrade. This can actually cause the line to restrict the flow of fuel.

If the line hasn't been replaced recently it's a prime suspect.
Ran into this problem on mine. I attributed the lines in the tank turning to goo to ethanol.
Imcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:16 AM   #7
Daveegt

Thanks everyone, I just got back here to find all this help. I did replace the line a year ago and it looked OK when I looked at it before this post. I will take a look at the lines today, probably can't get new lines and primer bulb today, but will asap.
Dave
Daveegt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
theoldwizard1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveegt View Post
Thanks everyone, I just got back here to find all this help. I did replace the line a year ago and it looked OK when I looked at it before this post. I will take a look at the lines today, probably can't get new lines and primer bulb today, but will asap.
Dave
Forget how they look. Just replace them. Many times you can not see where the air is leaking in.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
wafrederick

The older McCullochs,cheaper to buy a new one instead of fixing them and the parts are obsolete.One of my father's friends went through this with a 35 year old McCulloch leaf blower,lost spark and it was cheaper to buy a new one instead of fixing it.He bought a new one instead and the place he took it to get it fixed told him this.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
cj7365

my poulan had the same issue, fuel line running from the tank to the carb was cracked

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their constitutional right of amending it or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it." -- Abraham Lincoln, 4 April 1861
cj7365 is offline   Reply With Quote