Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-21-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
Brian.Evans

Default Proper Way to Mount a Vise

I got my nice heavy wood workbench done and would like to mount the 5" Wilton I just restored on it. I have heard that the proper way is to mount the vise to a piece of plate steel, then screw the steel to the bench. I've been told that the vise will be more stable that way. The cost is negligible, as I already have the steel plate piece. Opinions and personal experiences?

Also, how close to the edge should the base be? It seems like it would work well right up against the edge.

Thanks all!
Brian.Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:08 PM   #2
bigcaddy

Default Re: Proper Way to Mount a Vise

It all depends what you are starting with. I've mounted a number of them to solid steel, wood or on free standing post mounts.

If you have the steel plate, put it under the table and use it like a giant washer. That would give you a big increase in holding power while being used.

As far as the jaws in relation to the edge, the stationary jaw face should just be past the edge of the table. That way if you need to work on something long and have it clamped vertically in the vise, it will clear you workbench instead of bottoming out on it.
bigcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
FrostBite

I have my 4" Wilton bolted directly to the table with the stationary jaw overhanging the dge of the table by 1/2". This allows me to clamp longer pieces so they hang below the table top.

Edit: Beat while typing. Curse this touch screen keyboard.
FrostBite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
back2class

Depends what you are doing. a 5" wilton bullet vise is going to be best on a steel post embeded in concrete....completely a waste of a heavy industrial vise mounted to a wood bench. But if you don't intend to use it to its potential (that would tear the bench to splinters) then a few big washers under the wood top is fine. All really depends on what you have. No point in steel plates if the bench is only 100 pounds as the thing would fly across the shop before you pulled a vise's bolts through the plywood top.
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:36 PM   #5
andywander

Assuming it is a swivel vise, mount it on the corner of the bench so that long work will be able to hang down past either the front or the side of the bench.
andywander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:37 PM   #6
Brian.Evans

It's not a bullet vise. I guess I don't really know what it is, other than a Wilton.

Before:

After:

Also, this vise will most likely never be used to it's "full" potential, but I want to be able to beat on it if I have to.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #7
kc-steve

First, throw out the wood work bench and start over with steel.

Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 041.jpg (94.0 KB, 224 views)
File Type: jpg 040.jpg (102.6 KB, 217 views)

Feedback
kc-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
back2class

No need for some fancy base plate. Just some big washers and maybe an extra layer of wood under the bench surface where the vise mounts.
back2class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
byoungblood

Mine is mounted on 5/8" plywood, reinforced with 2x4s that I ran underneath the area where I was going to mount the vise. Drilled holes all the way through the top and 2x4s and ran my bolts with washers through that. So far it, nor the workbench which is tied into the wall studs, has budged.
byoungblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
machine_punk

I suppose everyone's definition of 'nice, heavy wood workbench' is a little different (pictures would help).

Here's what worked for me...

You need to look closely at the mounting holes on your vise. They are somewhat non-symmetrical. There is only one way to mount some of the Wiltons, so that you can get the opening of the jaws out beyond the edge of the bench...set your vice on your bench, until you see which configuration works for you (don't drill holes, then figure out you put them in the wrong place). I used 1/2" socket head cap screws to mount my vice. The washers on the bottom are fender washers (make sure you calculate their diameter into wherever you drill the holes). For the top washers, even regular 1/2" washers were to big in diameter, so I used washers for 5/16" bolts and just drilled the hole out to fit the 1/2" bolts. The bolts were just a tad too short (and I didn't want to make the 60 mile trip to the place I knew I could get them longer), so I routed out a fraction of an inch around the bottom holes, for the washers to fit...

Underneath the top, I made a slot in the framework to hold the mounting hardware. What you don't see in this picture, is that I used a circular saw like a router to hog out some more material in this slot...

This bench isn't going anywhere, no matter how hard you beat on the vise...it is held down with a 1200-pound sheet metal machine now.

M_P

"Kev's out of control. Don't put your keys down--he will rivet them to the table." (ozi jim from the Metal Meet Forum)

Going to be teaching riveting at the Cuesta College Metal Meet...bringing you a little of The
Aerodrome Studio--my metalworking studio in a 2-car, attached garage, where I build artistic projects, inspired by aeroplanes.

- my thread: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=122188
- Blog:
http://TheAerodromeStudio.com/wordpress
machine_punk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:40 AM   #11
Outlawmws

As long as the bench is sturdy, direct to the wood and big washers underneath are fine, even for a bigger vise than you have.

Things to stay away from": particle or chipboard, unless it has been reinforced.

As mentioned get the static jaw a bit past the edge of the bench and if mounted near the corner and it will accommodate it over the side as well when swiveled in that direction.

My bench is 2X4's glued adn screwed together vertically for a 3-1/2" base top and a kitchen counter on top of that for a clean work surface.. the vise is on one corner and can be turned to the side, but I rarely do.

The bench itself if lagged to every wall stud it is against, so it doesn't move around no matter what I do. (I have mounded my tubing bender into the vise and used it, as well as a tubing notcher...) If you build a top like mine, use one 2X6 or 8 for the piece nearest the wall. it make anchoring it much easier.

If you use plywood use two layers at least 3/4" thick, (but I personally don't like this type of top for general mechanical use)

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
lilredex

Very nice restoration!

Don't squeeze things too hard or do any pounding on it, that welded front jaw is your very weak link....... Keep it for the easy stuff.
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:17 AM   #13
Brian.Evans

Unhappy Re: Proper Way to Mount a Vise

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredex View Post
Very nice restoration!

Don't squeeze things too hard or do any pounding on it, that welded front jaw is your very weak link....... Keep it for the easy stuff.
The front jaw wasn't welded. It looked like someone tried to very poorly braze it. I was able to pry it off without much difficulty. When I re-did it, I heated up the jaw while it was in a press, heat then pressed, more heat, more pressure, until it was square again. Then I left it in the press until it was cooled down all the way. I beat on it and put a bunch of pressure on it before I painted. I don't think it's moving.

I will try to post pictures of the bench. However, I'm considering putting it on another bench I have. It's a bit heavier. As for steel, I'm working on a welding table, but that will have a Littlestown Foundry 4" vise on it.
Old 05-22-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
lilredex

Still your weakest link........go easy on it!
lilredex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 08:00 AM   #15
Brian.Evans

Ok, here's the bench.

Overall view:

Close up of the mounting location:

Three of my five wonderful kids posing on the bench. L-R; Emily-8, Caleb-17 mos, and Grace-9:

I still have to tie the front and rear legs together, but I ran out of screws. This bench was made from almost 100% found and salvage materials. Over half the screws came from a box I found alongside the road. The wood is from cast offs of construction around the area. I bought 1 lb of screws, and lack about 20 screws from being done. I will have less than $35 in the vise and the bench all said and done! ($25 of that was the vise) I like scavenging. It embarrases the wife to know end, but when I can build something like this for almost zero money, it evens out.

I will do a build thread on my welding table, it will cost me less than $50, and really closer to $35.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:02 AM   #16
Brian.Evans

Oh, btw, the legs came from my neighbor's burn pile. The one on the front of the vise area was a bit short, so I had to put a scrap piece under it. Dang free stuff, not cut to my dimensions!!
Old 05-22-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Outlawmws

My comments on your bench:

Unless you are going to anchor it to the wall, its is a bit narrow front to back for hard work on the vise. (Easy to pull/push over.)

I would also add some plywood sides and a back to act as a sheer member so it eliminates structural twist. even 1/4" will do the trick on small areas like a bench. This would also be a good time to make a lower shelf, and get some storage out of the deal.

It's weakest link as far as vise mounting is the vise will only really attach to one 2x; pretty easy to pull loose. If you topped it with some heavy ply, it will spread the load.

How do you plan to mount the vise? is there clearance for through bolts? (I hate Lag bolts for vise mounting, or any place a lot of strain will be concentrated)

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
buening

I see no need for a plate under the vise given that you used 2x for your top. With enough force on the vise it could crush into the 2x a bit, but you'd have to be really forcing it with a lever for that to happen. Definitely use enough screws on the 2x top to prevent pullout.

Regarding it tipping over, if this is a concern and you don't mind it being in a fixed location, you could always get some Simpson post base brackets and anchor it to the floor. You wouldn't need to anchor every post, just the outer corners. If the Simpson brackets are too pricey for you, a simple steel plate for the base plate and a couple angles to tie the legs to the base plate would suffice. Otherwise, screw it to a wall!
2005 F150 FX4

Licensed Professional Engineer, PE (Civil)
Licensed Structural Engineer, SE
buening is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
tribbles

Here's how I mounted mine:

I cut away the 2" overhang around the vise so I could get it as close to the table edge as I could. The two outside holes are anchored with 6" carriage bolts that pass through the 2x4s and the table surface (two plies of 3/4" plywood). The inside hole (not visible here) is anchored with a 2.5" carriage bolt that passes through just the table surface. This puts the vise directly over the sistered 2x4s I used for the legs.

The table is also lag bolted to the wall studs. It's about as solid as mounting on a wood table is going to get.
Old 05-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #20
Brian.Evans

Here's how I was going to mount the vise, but now that I see someone else that cut the overhang away, I will have to think on it. My dad's vise has never swiveled and I don't think there was ever a time when he needed it to, and he has farmed his whole life.

I think I'm going to put the bench here. I can anchor it to the poles and the rear legs to the lower stretcher.

I was planning on cutting that little long section on the right off, but it fits my 9" bandsaw perfectly, so it may stay.