Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Flooring

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
JPowles

Default Ugh, the dreaded bubbles in my new Epoxy-Coat floor :-( Pics inside

So I started the Epoxy-Coat yesterday by cleaning the concrete exactly as stated in the intructions. My slab was only 3.5 months old on my new construction home. The process went very smoothly until I started seeing bubbles pop up everywhere. By the time the bubbles started showing up the flakes were already in place and in areas of the floor that I could no longer reach. I did all the research here on the forums about the issue and from what it sounds like my only option now is to sand the bubbles down and re-apply another coat. Ugh, I already spent $400 on two kits from Lowes.

Besides the bubbles, the floor actually looks damn good. The camera makes it look worse than it is, and infact you dont even see them unless you get down on your knees. So unless I can get a couple free kits or a big discount I think im gonna have to just leave it as it is. Either way im very happy with the results (besides the bubble), but the only thing that bothers me is the instructions made it seem like getting rid of the bubbles was no big deal, when in reality by the time they start showing up the flakes have already been applied, and enough square footage is on that you couldnt get to the bubbles anyway.

I contacted Epoxy-Coat, but need to call back next week when Christine is in.

Does anyone know if I do a little sanding on the bubbles, then simply re-apply another coat will it be perfectly smooth even over the flakes?

Here are the pics

JPowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Herb67SS

Default Re: Ugh, the dreaded bubbles in my new Epoxy-Coat floor :-( Pics inside

Ugh. That,s not good. But- it's sure a non-skid surface now. Let us know what she says!

BTW - where did that hydrant come from? Guess I'm too old to know what's available out there for new construction. I like it. Is it freeze proof?
/Herb
Herb67SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-25-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Scottishross

how did the bubbles happen mate
Scottishross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
JPowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb67SS View Post
Ugh. That,s not good. But- it's sure a non-skid surface now. Let us know what she says!

BTW - where did that hydrant come from? Guess I'm too old to know what's available out there for new construction. I like it. Is it freeze proof?
/Herb

Its a hot/cold vertical/horizontal hydrant made by Prier. It actually did not come with the house as this house just had one in the back and front side. I loved them in the garage so my dad installed this one. Here is the link:
http://www.prier.com/products/reside...g-hydrant.html

As for the epoxy the only thing I have gathered from research is im gonna have to sand it down and do another coat :-( There are soo many that sanding each individual bubble would take forever. I wonder if another coat of epoxy would be able to cover those smooth without having to sand?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
Synergy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb67SS View Post

/Herb
As a fireman I was looking for:

We don't have those types of "hydrants" on the West Coast!
Synergy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:19 PM   #6
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Gas trying to push through a thick coating.
As the gas tries to escape it pushes through the thick already tacky coating, leaving a little volcano behind.

A primer reduces the chances of this happening as the primer will be thinner and allow the gas to come out without making a mess.

The good news is this shouldn't be a problem on your next coat.
LegacyIndustrial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #7
MrMark

What primer should be used with the Epoxy Coat?

I would be devastated if that were my job after all the work. That is just unacceptable.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
dandan111

I think you need to knock down the sharpe edges of the bubbles. I put mine on thick and didn't get bubbles. I have dull spots though.
dandan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #9
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Guys, this does not happen all the time. When you do this for a living you hedge your bets every step of the way to help eliminate gobacks and recoats.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:23 PM   #10
JPowles

Im about to finish the remaining half of my 3 car this afternoon. I did all the concrete prep work this morning so we will see how it goes. I should have a little left over epoxy so im going to experiment with it and see what I can do with the "craters" on the other half of the garage. I will try to knock down the edges and see how it look with some epoxy put over it. I figure it cant hurt anything and worst case I can still either leave it as is, or do another coat at some point. Atleast the hard part of prepping the concrete is done. Thats the worst part of it all.

I will post back and let you guys know how the second half goes and if I get any bubbles on that side.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Ray-CA

Send a message via Yahoo to Ray-CA

How did you mix the clear before applying it? Shake, stir or power mix? I've seen bubbles like that in furniture finish if I shake the can or mix instead of stirring gently.

Ray
Old 05-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #12
MrMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegacyIndustrial View Post
Guys, this does not happen all the time. When you do this for a living you hedge your bets every step of the way to help eliminate gobacks and recoats.
It may not happen all the time, but it sure seems to happen a lot. Enough that it is a major concern considering the consequences are so severe given the time and expense.

Is there a primer that can be used under the epoxy coat to stop the bubbles? What other ways are there to hedge your bets every step of the way to stop the bubbles? Please, let's not have this be some great mystery.
MrMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #13
dandan111

Did you clear coat it?
dandan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
thegarageguy

There is never a guaranty it won't bubble, even with a good penetrating primer. Full chip broadcast will hide the fact it's bubbling. Remember, as hard as concrete is, it's still a porous substrate. This is why it stains easy and why you are trying to close the pores via epoxy.

Take a spackle knife to them and cut it flush, then go to your local hardware store and buy a 5 min epoxy in beige color. Spackle it on and clean the edges with a slightly acetone dampened rag.

www.bodenkraft.com
Serving NY, NJ & CT

Follow us on:
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Bodenkraft
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Bodenkraft
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/bodenkraft/
Instagram: http://instagram.com/bodenkraft
thegarageguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 07:35 PM   #15
LegacyIndustrial
Alliance Member

Bout time you arrived. The whole gj forum was in an uproar!
Old 05-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
JPowles

Well the garage is done. Besides the bubbles im happy with the results. The second half of the garage bubbled as well, but not as badly. I dont understand how they expect you to eliminate the chances of bubbles because on the second half I waited forever to spread the flakes to ensure that it wasnt going to bubble. I did multiple rollings and sure enough when I woke up this morning there were some bubbles lol.
Some people asked how I mixed it and what clear I used. I mixed using the supplied mixer that came with the Epoxy kit. Mixing had nothing to do with the bubbles, infact when you poured it onto the concrete it was smooth and bubble free. No clear coat was used it was just the standard Epoxy-Coat kit that I picked up from a local Lowes. On my previous house I used the Rustoleum kits from Home Depot which I installed on a new construction slab about the same age as my current house and there were no bubbles. I guess all concrete is different, but im kind of curious if the same thing would have happened if I used the Rustoleum kits.
Either way I guess im happy as the bubbles arent all that noticeable unless your looking for them. Im going to leave it as is and enjoy it.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished product.

Thanks for all the tips.

James

Old 05-29-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
Cruzin90

Just curious: What time of day was it when you put down the first coat?

I'm guessing it was in the morning, before 11:00 AM.
Cruzin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:40 PM   #18
dcs Inc

Rising temps will pull moisture out of concrete. Moisture in the air will create headaches. (below 75% Rh) 50% is great. When the air temp is within 3 degrees of the relative humidity you will have problems. If there's more than 3 pounds of vapor emissions in the concrete per 1000 sq. ft., you will have problems. Oil spots will cause the epoxy to fail and just cleaning the top off doesn't do it. Acid etching is the poorest way to prep a concrete surface and on a new slab you're waisting your time. If the concrete is old and the creme has worn off showing sands, you'll have a better chance at acid etching. If the concrete tests higher pH than 9, it may (will) fail. Using a low solids epoxy with a chit load of fillers is a waste of time and effort. They don't wet well (soak into the surface), are soft and have a weak wear surface. Any open tubes of silicone or any on the concrete will create major headaches. (Tire shine, many polishes are culprits).

thats the short list. gene Elite Crete of Indiana
dcs Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:36 AM   #19
Cruzin90

You mentioned temp and humidity 3 degrees apart. The temp and dew point should be 5 degrees apart.
Cruzin90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
dcs Inc

Caught me.... I stand corrected. Should have proof read my response. Actually 5 degrees is pushing it. gene
dcs Inc is offline   Reply With Quote