Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
1wheeldrive

Default schulz air compressors?

Who if anyone is running one of these? They seem like a lot for the money. 7.5hp with pump turning <1000rpms rated something like 30cfm (website says 22.7 @90 psi) for ~1600 on ebay, even with the $100 lift gate fee it still seems like a good buy.

Made in brazil, but specs look pretty good, does anyone know if they really perform as well as they are rated?

I would like to buy a USA made Champion but they are at least $1000 more for a comparable model.

And yes I did search and read a million compressor threads, there is almost nothing on the web about these Schulz compressors...

edit: apparently they have a factory in GA, maybe just assembly?

Last edited by 1wheeldrive; 05-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.
1wheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
PT Doc

Default Re: schulz air compressors?

30 cfm is a lot of air. Might be tuff to get a better deal but Quincy is always at the top of the heap.

Who makes the motor on that compressor? WEG?
PT Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
Gary S

I tried their website, and I can't find any specs or information there. That concerns me. Companies that hide information usually have good reason.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #4
BMB

They seem to be a decent compressor.
I don't think I'd rate them with a Champion, Quincy, etc, but I think they are above the basic Home Depot, Lowes offerings.

I've been to the GA location and I believe they are just the US distribution center for them. They seem to do repair and parts sales from there too and most of the emplyees are Brazilian.

I believe the pumps are all cast iron and use finger valves. I know the V style pumps use a single sided bearing support. I'm not sure on the inline pumps.

Motors and starters are WEG.

I really considered getting one until I found a used Champion.
BMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 04:47 PM   #5
EOC_Jason

I registered just to post this reply, hoping it might help out others that have been looking into the Schulz brand and not finding much on the Internet.

I found them selling them on craigslist in Houston, and also on eBay (swingtechnology1). I'm pretty sure they are made in Brazil and probably shipped to GA and their other distribution centers. I'm in Houston and mine came from Schulenberg, TX.

I was hesitant too, for the price it seemed like you were getting a step up compared to other quality compressors. Unfortunately the longer I kept shopping around the more the prices seemed to keep going up (especially when trying to buy American). Another issue was availability, some places could take up to SIX WEEKS to deliver! Schulz had it in stock and was at our business in two days.

Some of the prices for various models:

10HP L-Series: $1,800 (~1,000 RPM Pump - 35CFM @ 175PSI)
10HP V-Series: $2,200 (~700 RPM Pump - 34/35CFM @ 175PSI? - Same pump as 15HP just slower speed)
15HP V-Series: $2600 (~1,000 RPM Pump - 50.1CFM @ 175PSI)

Shipping was more than reasonable too, only $65 (commercial location).

At first we were going to get the 10HP L-Series because it was so cheap and when we had more money get a rotary screw, but in the end decided on the 15HP just because it wasn't *that* much more but the step up from L to V series gave a lot more CFM. Almost got the 10HP V-Series because of slower pump RPM, but again the more CFM we can get at the shop the better.

This thing pumps up FAST! I haven't adjusted the pressure yet (I was going to dial it down some), but it cuts off at 175psi, and cuts back on at 145psi I think? It takes less than a minute to fill back up!

You have to be careful a lot of the specs on the schulz website list "displacement CFM" and not the actual CFM. After digging around and comparing the numbers, their CFM for each HP range seems to be within 1-2 CFM as the competition. Look at the specs on the eBay user I gave, he gives CFM @ 100 & 175PSI.

I was kind of surprised, for a 15HP monster it was actually probably a little quieter than our other 5HP compressor (running an aftermarket pump from NorthernTool).

While doing research you start to noticed a lot of the pumps looks the same, most of the nicer ones are copies of the standard Saylor Beall design. But I realized the pump that my Schulz uses also seems to be used by others, I think I saw Schrader had a copy but the cylinders didn't look nearly as beefy. Of course, design in one thing, where it is actually made, and the internal parts used is an entirely different matter.

My only semi-negative, one of the belts broke after only about a week. However, I called Matt and he overnighted a pair of replacement belts. The compressor was capable of running off of the one belt so I can only assume the broken one had some sort of defect. The belts are Gates brand, which is a decent and well known brand.

The motor is a WEG and it's a TEFC (totally enclosed) so if you wanted to stick one of these outside you could. The air filters are Solberg, about the most common you can find for air compressors.

When comparing other compressors, I looked at Campbell Hausfeld (I liked them because of the 17,000+ hr bearing rating, and also the compressor held 4qts of oil!), Quincy (50,000+ hr bearing rating, USA made, very well known name), Compressed Air Systems (Located in Dallas, made in USA but sources parts from all over), Champion, and a couple others.

The CAS brand was very nice, especially if you want the "full package" model (air aftercooler, auto-drain (pressure activated, not electric!) etc, etc. Their pumps are the Saylor Beall copies, and supposedly they own the pump plant in China. Also if you get their annual maintenance kits I think the pump can have up to a 6 year warranty. http://www.compressed-air-systems.com/ The only downside is it was like ~$500 more for a 10HP basic model than the 15HP Schulz we got.

I don't even think I would need to talk about Quincy. The only negative thing I have to say, when I was at Northern Tool I saw they had both 5HP & 7.5HP models there. The 5HP had the Baldor (USA) motors. But the 7.5HP were WEG... Kind of disappointing considering I thought Quincy used all Made-in-the-USA stuff... Maybe it was just for that model or something, I don't know. Quincy gives up to 5 years if you buy their annual maintenance kits.

Campbell Hausfeld's seemed nice as the model I was looking at (10HP) held 4qts of oil, most other pumps you see only hold about 1.5qt. Also the pump ran at 700RPM. 3 year warranty too. Also it was a little cheaper, I found $2,600 for a 10HP model.

Oh yeah, on most other brands to get a TEFC motor costs extra too.

So after weighing all the pros and cons and doing research online, we decided to take the plunge for the Schulz because of the price. It's only been running a month, but so far it's been solid (knocks on wood). The price simply can't be beat. I don't know if it's just them trying to penetrate the US market and get their name out there or what. In south-america they appear to be a huge brand name (like the equivalent that Quincy or Ingersol Rand is here).

If you really plan on running your pump hard then I would probably spend the extra cash for one of the better known brands like Quincy. But if you are just a small shop or for your garage, the Schulz is probably more than adequate. Especially considering the prices for the 5HP & 7.5HP models, if I didn't already have one for my garage I probably would of picked of the smaller models up. They are most definitely better quality than the cheap 60 gallon things you see at Sears or Home Depot.
EOC_Jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 PM   #6
PT Doc

Getting parts, service might be an issue. Money saved up font might be spent multi fold on the back end.
PT Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 AM   #7
EOC_Jason

I agree with you on parts & service. Different companies have different policies so if that's really important, read the fine print. I think Quincy has on-site repair for like the first year? However it's also worth pointing out many of these pump designs have been around for decades and have changed little if any. So part availability shouldn't really be an issue. Especially with bigger brands you can call up their customer service and they can ship out replacement parts right away. Also if you depend on 24/7 availability of air, then your shop hopefully has a backup air compressor so things don't grind to a halt when the main compressor has issues or needs maintenance.

I forgot to mention we also looked at the Eaton / Polar Air brand. They are made in the USA too, but source parts from all over. Their pumps seem to be copies of the Saylor Beall design too (I forgot to mention use disc valves instead of reed valves). They build to order so it can be six to seven weeks.

I did get quotes from Saylor Beall, Garden Denver, and others. Like I said, the longer I shopped the more the prices just kept going up! Didn't even bother looking at IR, those pumps are JUNK these days!

Also, Eaton, CAS, and Quincy offer 10HP / 120GAL units with a VERTICAL tank. Others only offer horizontal at that size.

I've noticed too that some companies their pump design can really vary from one size to the next. Some are good designs (like the Saylor Beall) and others are just run-of-the-mill. Also some companies will use larger pumps on smaller motors (i.e. 7.5HP motor with 10HP pump, or a 10HP motor with 15HP pump) and run the pump at a slower RPM. Typically when you see a pump running around 700 RPM, that's what they are doing, and 1000 RPM is the avg normal speed. To me purchasing something like that is advantageous because slower speed means less heat & less wear-and-tear. Also it would be something a little more heavy duty. But again it boils down to what CFM you need.

Hopefully within the next year or two we will be able to get a rotary-screw compressor and have this one as a stand-by. Mostly want to switch because the compressor is in the shop and the rotary's are so much quieter. Don't be fooled though when you read about how much less maintenance they are. They require just as much (if not more) than a piston. They claim you only have to change the oil once a YEAR on a rotary, however you still have to chain the OIL FILTER (and water separator filter) several times a year. Also if you blow your air-end, that's the bulk of the cost of a rotary right there...

I know this probably goes way beyond the OP talking about a 5HP & 7.5HP compressors.

I think I saw the Schulz 5HP on Craigslist being advertised for $1,000 which for a REAL 5HP motor with 80GAL tank can't be beat. Even their 7.5HP model is cheaper than the North-Star brand @ Northern Tool.

To me an air compressor isn't rocket science. I think a lot of the longevity has to do with maintenance and usage. If you are running a compressor harder than what its rated for, then obviously things are going to fail sooner than expected. If you don't change the oil and air filters as necessary then things are going to fail.

Some people say they never change the oil in their air compressor... if it's in your garage and only used for 10 minutes once a month then yeah, it probably won't ever need to be changed because it gets a whole whopping 2 hours of run time a year. I'll admit I have a craftsman 60gal single stage in my garage for personal use. I got it used from a friend, and I changed the oil when I was hooking it up. After 4 years I *just* changed the oil again (probably should have done it a little sooner, but it wasn't that bad).

Oil is another thing, every compressor says don't use regular automotive oil with detergents or is multi-weight. Some people do not heed that warning and find their valves have gunked up. Finding regular old SAE 30 non-detergent is easy enough, my local Autozone always has it in stock. Also AMSOIL makes synthetic compressor oil, which I plan on putting in our Schulz at the next oil change. People say synthetic makes the compressors run noticeably cooler and a little smoother, and you don't have to change the oil as often. Likewise just about every rotary compressor uses synthetic oil too. Fortunately for me there was an AMSOIL dealer not too far away, but I believe you can order from their website too. I know the schulz manual says "don't use synthetic oil", but when I talked to the schulz rep, he said synthetic is fine, as long as it's for compressors. He said that down in Brazil a lot of shops just like to put motor oil in their compressors, and that's what the manual was trying to state / prevent people from doing.

Last edited by EOC_Jason; 06-26-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #8
BuyersRemorse

Without doing any research on this company, I took a chance and bought the 20HP back in November 2012...I have been regretting this purchase ever since. During that time, I was only able to run this compressor for a total of less than a week. As the previous post stated, "Getting service and part is a hassle". Here is the list of things that went wrong with the Schulz Compressor:

week 1. After running for 1 day, the belt snapped, had to wait for a week for the new part to arrived. On top of that, I had to installed the belt myself bacause of the lame excuse from the company that their mechanic is not available after the New Year. The fact is, they do not have a mechanic in my area, and so they have to shop around for the cheapest contractor (without a license) to come and do the repair.

Week 3. Was able to run the compressor for about a few days and the gasket or seal on one of the cylinder was leaking. Oil was dripping every where and the tech support (Matt) assured me that there was no need to be alarmed... "just add oil and keep using it until they find a mechanic" he said.

Week 4-5. The compressor was able to run for a few more days and the bottom cylinder gasket was not working and the air check valve on the same cylinder can no be closed. Air was blowing out this check valve like a steam train...and again, I was assured by their support team to "get a plug, and plug it in place of the check valve...keep using it until they find a mechanic"...

.....It's been over a week and a half.....I am still waiting for their mechanic to come and fix this POS. (sorry for language...it's been really frustrating.)

If anyone is thinking about buying this, I would recommend you do a lot of research on this company before buying from them. My advice, is to save the trouble and time, pay a little more and buy a more well known brand. What a mistake!

Good luck if you already bought this Schulz compressor.
BuyersRemorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:04 PM   #9
EOC_Jason

Just an update on our 15HP unit now that we've had it for over 7 months. It's been running daily in a production machine shop, beyond a belt breaking (literally snapped) and had another one come off, it's been running good. I don't think the guys ever check / adjust the belt tension, which all new belts will stretch out some after some use so it's partially their fault. Oil has been changed as per the manual and now has synthetic in it. It was never low and I only found very little that was on the side of the compressor, which I'm pretty sure gets sprayed there when the unloader valve bleeds the air. I don't recall the amount of hours on it I haven't walked by it in a while, I'm sure it has at least a couple hundred by now.

I'm not going to say they are the best brand out there, if you want same-day on-sight service then Quincy would be the way to go.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:40 PM   #10
woi2ld

Schulz has many precision casting foundries and build for including but not limited to volvo and mercedes. It's funny that people bad mouth the foreign company schulz, but the same American companies that they praise, slaps ther paint and decals on a schulz and calls them good enough to be there own. The world famous 'Wayne' air compressors are still great! Who makes them? Schulz? These pictures below are schulz compressors with american paint/name
Attached Images
File Type: jpg champion air copressor80.jpg (19.8 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg championschulz air compressor.jpg (30.7 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg snaponcompressor.jpg (48.8 KB, 55 views)
woi2ld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #11
DavesGarage

Hello guys, new to the forum and joined for a few reasons but this thread was the most intriguing, does anyone have any updates on their schulz compressors? I am a complete mental nut when it comes to making a decision on something that costs as much as these compressors do. Im down to either a Schulz 7.5HP V pump 80 gallon vertical or a similar compressor made by Eaton-Polar Air. I do a lot of mechanic work out of my home garage and recently purchased a large sand blast cabinet that requires a minimum of 20 cfm. I do have 3 phase on my home so that is not an issue. Thanks for any help!
DavesGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #12
EOC_Jason

My buddy has two of the Schulz 15HP units... One of them has several hundred hours now and is still chugging away with no issues. The other has only been running a few months, it's had its first oil change not too long ago. No issues with it either.

Usually you can find the Schulz new on CL for very good prices. I forgot the guy's name that deals with those, but he has always been very responsive when I call. The nice thing is they have them in stock and they have a warehouse that's in-state so it only took a couple days door to door.

When I called Eaton it was going to be several months because they are made to order.

Another company I was looking at was Compressed Air Systems. Look at like the 7.5HP Heavy Duty... The pumps are basically saylor beall copies.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
DavesGarage

Im sure this has been discussed and hashed before but am I alone in thinking that reed valves are inferior to disk valves? The only thing that has kept me from breaking the wallet out for a schulz is that they use reed valves (as well as a lot of other compressor brands). I used to use a lot of gast brand vacuum pumps and it was a weekly thing that the reed valves would break or become weak and change the efficiency of the pump. Are the reed valves in a compressor going to be a headache?
Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 AM   #14
EOC_Jason

I think it all depends on how much usage you plan on having. Sure for large industrial where a compressor is constantly running, disc valves make for much easier maintenance.

For a home user... ehh... You might end up doing it once in your lifetime? And odds are you will probably pull the pan too and need a complete gasket kit anyhow....

I think the bigger problem is people using the wrong oil in a compressor, and not changing the air filter and that is what gums up the valves more than just plain old usage.

If I had the money I would get a Quincy or Saylor Beall (wouldn't we all)... But for my buddy it was the simple math of cost vs CFM and Schulz ended up giving him the best deal.

Last edited by EOC_Jason; 08-02-2013 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
DavesGarage

I just called Schulz to ask a few questions, thought I would share the info with you guys. I'm interested in their 7.5hp V pump 80 gallon vertical compressor. They offer 1 year warranty on everything but the pump which is 2 years. The 15hp is the only one they offer with disc valves, all others are reed valves and cannot be changed to disc. The rods in the pump are aluminum and do not have a bearing between the rod and steel crankshaft (not sure if that is normal). And last they are advertised as 80/20 duty cycle. Not too thrilled, maybe I will keep shopping. I do have a Schulz msv40sa pump that is in good shape and built very nice, maybe I will continue to build a mutt compressor.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
DavesGarage

I emailed Compressed Air Systems with a few questions. Was there a reason you didn't like CAS? I will share their response if I get one.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:29 PM   #17
EOC_Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavesGarage View Post
I emailed Compressed Air Systems with a few questions. Was there a reason you didn't like CAS? I will share their response if I get one.
No, nothing against the company. It was all just cost & lead time. My friend waited until the last minute when he needed an air compressor. Most places are build-to-order. About the only places that had ones in stock were Quincy, Schulz, and Campbell Hausfeld. The Schulz was just too good of a deal to pass up so figured would give it a whirl... For the cost he was able to get a 15HP system vs others that would be only a 10HP.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:12 PM   #18
DavesGarage

Good to know that CAS didnt have a known issue. I am looking forward to their response to my questions. Do you happen to know if it is common to not have a bearing between the rod/ crankshaft? I know back in the day that was normal for lawnmowers and stuff. Seems like there should be in 2013.
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 PM   #19
EOC_Jason

One thing I liked about CAS was their auto tank drain is a pneumatic design that cycles when the compressor does, it's not like the cheap electric units that are on a fixed timer and run around the clock.

I would assume it would depend on how expensive the unit is... I think when I pulled my craftsman pump apart it did not. But on the flip side I remember when we pulled apart one of my friend's old Coleman Blackmax compressors it did. Unfortunately the bearings were completely shot and killed the crank beyond repair.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #20
modelaratrod

I've had mine for about 2 years now and have had zero problems with it. I have the 5 hp 80 gal. It pumps up fast is quieter than my old CH was.

I'm currently adding an after cooler to it to help get dryer air for my plasma.
modelaratrod is offline   Reply With Quote