Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-11-2008, 12:01 AM   #1
Dennissde01

Default Pictures of our 40' X 60' X 16' Pole Barn Style Shop

Hello All,

I'm new here to your fine forum.
What a great site to visit and learn from.

My wife and I live in the Pacfic Northwest in a town called Federal Way.
We have purchased 6 acres about 1 1/2 hours south of where we will live in a small town called Toutle, Wa.

Toutle is about 45 miles west from Mount St Helens.
Our goal is to retire in a couple of years and sell the Federal Way home and move out to the country and enjoy all the fruits of our labor.

Well the labor started 2 years ago this month with buying the property.
Over these last 2 years we have been clearing it as needed building roads and then bringing all the utilities onto the property (City Water, Power & Phone) and now building a 40'X60' shop.

In the years to come we will finish clearing the enlarging the area for the house and install a septic system and build at that time we will tie in the shop to the septic system and formally make the shop a wet building.

For now though, we are continuing to work on the shop to finish the installation of the power (we are still on Temp Power) and then once the main power is in and bought off I will fininsh the wiring myself and then we will also insulate and then build a loft in the front part of the shop to eventually use to (camp in remember no sewer yet!) while the house is built. Once the house is done we will then use this loft area as our office area for when we just want to hang out and enjoy the shop.

I have attached a few views of the shop for all of you to see and I will include a couple of links I have to a website I built to offer updates on the history of our pursuits as we work on our property.

The first link is to our main home page where we tell the story of all of the work we have put into the place.

http://denniswstewart.com/default.aspx

The second link will take you directly to the Pole Barn section of the website. (I hope)
http://denniswstewart.com/HowAboutABarn.aspx

All navigation for this simple site is done on the left hand side of the website.

I hope you enjoy and get some information from looking at our website and pictures.

I will continue to update the website and make additions here to this forum as I go through the process of completing the shop.

Regards,

Dennis.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11-03-07-027-SM.JPG (67.6 KB, 499 views)
File Type: jpg 09-15-07-010-SM.jpg (46.7 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg 10-13-07-014-SM.jpg (39.3 KB, 605 views)
File Type: jpg 10-13-07-022-SM.jpg (38.2 KB, 691 views)
File Type: jpg 10-13-07-002-SM.jpg (37.6 KB, 415 views)

Last edited by Dennissde01; 02-11-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Dennissde01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
thetastelingers

Default Re: Pictures of our 40' X 60' Pole Barn Style Shop

Nice.
Welcome to the forum
thetastelingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Bib Overalls

Spent some time at your web site. Inovative and informative. We did much the same ten years ago when we moved on to our three acres. Wish we had been keeping a photo journal. You will be glad you did.

My photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/

When I am dead and gone a new owner will walk into my 99% completed dream shop and say "this place has potential."
Bib Overalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 08:00 AM   #4
Charley varrick

Very nice .
Charley varrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #5
sharpshooter

My god man, if you would have took the time working on your property that you spent on that website you would have been done by now jk jk . Very nice site, I browsed thru all your pics...lots of time and effort spent on the land and the site... Looks like youll have a very nice setup when its all said and done ...
sharpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
Dennissde01

Hi Sharpshooter,

Thanks for kind words.

You know I actually built that website in 2 days.
It's a free Microsoft website service that also allows you to find (if possible) any domain name you want and you get that for free also.
It includes free email and 500 Megs of website storage to support your site.

Next time you are out that way scroll to the bottom and click on the icon about the service and take a look.

The site is template based so that is what made this so nice and so fast to build.

For power users who want to purchase these services they will covert the site to allow you to edit with html tools but that is not what I wanted to do so I took the simple/ free site instead.

The hardest part was writing up all the information for the stories.
I did that offline in a text editor and then just started creating pages from the templates available and then copied in the text.

Once I decided on the format (chronological history based) I went to work setting up each page.

Once the text was placed in your template you setup a widget to be your photo viewer (Static or slide show) and then just upload the images to an image depot directory on your website (via your web browser) and then click on the picture you want in that slide show sequence save it and then preview it and youíre good to go.

Take Care,
Dennis
Old 04-27-2008, 09:03 PM   #7
Dennissde01

Default Updated Pictures of our 40' X 60' Pole Barn Style Shop and Property

Hi Everyone,
First off it has been a good winter watching all of you share your experiences with everyone as you pursue your dreams of building your new garages and using and modifying your existing ones.

I have really enjoyed learning from all the knowledge that gets brought to this forum.
This site has really been helpful as we research ideas and materials as we go forward with our project.

Well spring is upon us and we have wintered over okay out here at the property and we have slowly started to wake the place up and start in again for the year.

We have updated our website http://denniswstewart.com/default.aspx to reflect what has been started this year itís mostly about the property right now. http://denniswstewart.com/AnotherSpr...reWeThink.aspx
We hope to get back to working on the shop and get the permanent power / water on the building and then start with the wiring / insulation and the building of the loft this year.

Thanks for all the great information and I hope you enjoy the update.

Take Care,
Dennis
Old 09-01-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
crabjoe

Dennis, is the site still up and are you finished with everything?
crabjoe is offline   Reply With Quote