Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #1
RaysnCayne

Default Z Garage [ 28' x 28' Suburban Detached ]

Hi y'all.

I'm Zach, long-time lurker, first time Garage Journal Garage Gallery poster.

After much "waiting for things to get better", I finally broke ground on my little garage last April. It certainly won't be a Garage Mahal or loaded to the gills with sensational storage ideas. But it'll be much nicer than the average suburban garage and will have a few nice bits inside when done.

We moved out of our first home - a quaint but tiny 1935 Dutch Colonial - into our current home - a boring but big 1985 2 story traditional - in June 2007. It had everything we wanted: big bedrooms, our own bathroom, upstairs laundry, a kitchen island… BUT no garage! My wife and I struck a deal that I'd get to break ground in a year or so once we were fully settled in. Then the economy tanked. I lost my job in mid-2008. I was fortunate to quickly land on my feet with a full-time freelance gig. But we felt it'd be prudent to wait til things got better.

2009 came and went and things still weren't better. But to keep my hope alive, I cut down two small trees, moved the shed, and dug a ditch for the power line. To get my Biscayne out of the way, I poured a 10' x 20' gravel bed off the end of the driveway.

It had to get worse before things got better. I had erected a wimpy 10x20 canopy over my 1968 Biscayne in late 2009. (It was on sale and I was desperate to get my ailing car out of direct rain and sunlight.) Thanks to a spectacular, record-setting snowfall, I was greeted to this grim sight early one winter morning:

Things needed to get better! I managed to get my wife to agree (dirty car parts in the dinning room helped) and I made haste on plans and estimates in early 2011. I went with a 28' x 28' size. Anything larger (I was strongly considering 32' wide) would've just penetrated too far into the usable yard space. I went with an 8/12 pitch room truss for overhead storage. I was hoping I could get 10' out of the ceiling height for a four-post/storage lift, but ended up with only 9'6"- 9'8" after all was said and done. Guess that's what a MaxJax system is for.

I'm no mason, carpenter or electrician by any stretch – but rather a sedentary, computer-wielding graphic designer. But I know the basics of construction. Still, the foundation wasn't something I was comfortable doing myself so I farmed out the footing & concrete to one contractor and the block to another. We broke ground in late March, 2011.

Now things were beginning to look better!

I took it from here on out. I made much use of my neighbor's F250 to fetch building supplies in a "J.I.T." fashion in an effort to keep the work area as clear as possible and to be able to pick the straightest lumber. I'm sure guys at Lowes resented me messing up their pretty lumber stacks every other week.

For the front garage door wall, the county said I had to do a large, laminated wood header to cover both doors b/c the stem wall was too narrow. They also said I didn't have to run it from corner to corner b/c my corners were 4' in width. Any narrower, and I would've had to run a full-width LVL! Yikes. With a heavy 18" tall 22' wide LVL and wimpy 2x4 "legs" on either side, I figured this wall was going to be a challenge to erect, but many (neighbors') hands made light work of it.

The trusses were a test of strength, balance and focus to be sure. It was a very, hot steamy Southern day. But several dedicated friends and neighbors pitched in to help set them all in one day by hand!

Not wanting to pester neighbors/friends for more help the very next weekend, I lifted, slid and pulled all the sheathing up through the trusses on my own. Not fun on an 8x12 pitch.

I wasn’t looking forward to dealing with flimsy, flappy tar paper. A friend told me about this "Tri-Flex" roof wrap which worked out real nice. Easy to nail down and easy to walk on. Best of all, it didn't blow away if you looked at it wrong.

RaysnCayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
RaysnCayne

Default Re: Z Garage [ 28' x 28' Suburban Detached ]

A friend graciously offered to help me do the shingles. (Note: this was the only time an air nailer was used. My neighbors didn't like me too much during this build with my constant hammering all hours of day into the night.)

I did the siding on my own. (Borrowed scaffolding helped tremendously.)

Now it was time start pulling wire. My daughters got down in the trenches to help me. Well, for five minutes anyway.

Would you trust this guy to do your wiring? Neither would I. I helped wire another garage with a pro's input. But had never done anything of this scale on my own. She's been fully powered on her own for the last 6 months. So far so good.

My pops came down (he lives 500 miles away) to spend a weekend helping me install OSB on the ceiling and plywood on the walls. This is the promo shot for our new reality show, "OSB Wars".

Once the ceiling was in, I insulated and built out the attic.

Let there be light! An area auto repair shop was going out of business about a year before I broke ground. Knowing I'd be needing lights someday, I got on the phone to see if they'd let me go in the old shop and grab what I could. I was able to finagle 12 8' fixtures (with bulbs to spare), several 20A outlets and some piping with air fittings for $100. Sure, I'd love to have the brighter, more efficient T8s, but for the price, I was quite happy.

I used cardboard cut-outs of my shelves and cabinets to help me figure out the best route for wiring. (Re-did this back, work bench wall three times!).

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-04-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
RaysnCayne

Before

After!

And the requisite night shot...

This is where she stands for now. I debated with myself what color the garage doors should be. Our house is white with black shutters and the ubiquitous red front door. (Popular color combo in these parts.) But I thought big, red garage doors might be a bit much. That left white or black. Black was out of the question and white would've been too white. So red won out. I'm happy it did.

The exterior lights are a story in and of themselves. I created a thread awhile back about them: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=151360

I'm about half way done with the inside (insulated, paneled, painted, etc.) and hope to wrap it up here in a few weeks. I've done a few neat-o things in there that I think you guys will appreciate. Stay tuned.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:38 PM   #4
Outlander

sweet :-) Nice build story.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Boosted1

Very nicely done.
Boosted1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
jesse72

Man that looks great! Good job and its cool to see you did most by yourself too
jesse72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
rsa

Nicely done! I like the way you matched the house's brick foundation. I need to do something similar. I'm jealous of you all who have deep lots. My corner lot is 100 deep and 200 wide and anywhere I put a garage, it'll stick out like a sore thumb if it's comfortably big.

Too late for this garage build, but for your next one...

rsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:30 AM   #8
RaysnCayne

Doh! Should've known there'd be a book for that! But hopefully there won't be another garage. I'm hoping to retire in this one.

RSA, where there's a will, there's a way. I'm sure you'll be able to come up with something that'll work in your tight/odd space. You should start a thread about it and let us experts help you.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.
Old 06-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #9
Ole_Red

awesome garage! and bowtie!
Old 06-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #10
fergus

Hey man way to go! Way to show the world what us desk jockies are made of!
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 01:27 PM   #11
n2ocamaro

Looks great. I like the outside lights. Good score on lights and stuff from the repair shop.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:27 PM   #12
55cadillacking

Well, the exterior is stunning so I am really looking forward to getting a peek inside. Congratulations on a beautiful job.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:35 PM   #13
RaysnCayne

Thanks for the kind words fellas.

I've gotten derailed the last three weeks with family/work stuff, so I'm not where I thought I'd be by now on the inside. It's nothing that'll knock yer socks off, but I think you'll dig it when I'm done. I know I will.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:26 AM   #14
flybefree

That really turned out nice.

Shaun

All Men are Created Equal...the difference is what they do after that.
flybefree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #15
Shoottx

Yup What ^^^^^ he said
Old 06-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #16
JoeM5127

Good job and the lights look great.
JoeM5127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #17
aka Larry

Beautiful work man. You should be proud!

Do you mind sharing how much ca$h you have into it so far?
'96 Mazda Miata M-Edition (former DD, current fair weather fun)
'89 Honda Prelude Si "Magnum, PU" (24 Hours of Lemons Race Car, it's ALIVE!)
'89 Nissan Sentra "General Lei" (Rallycross Car)

My 40'x40' build
aka Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #18
Jack Olsen
Super Moderator

Awesome. And bonus points for the red doors.
Jack Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #19
Nighttrain

Even the UPS guy helped out. What a great neighborhood. Very nice garage and a great write up. Good job on those lights.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
Jawn

Nice garage, nice Biscayne. I have a '67 Caprice (in a rust heap). Hopefully in another year or so I'll get some kind of suitable garage space to tear into it and do something with it.