Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-07-2012, 12:10 PM   #41
2manytoyz

Default Re: Dealing with Mosquitoes

Okay, here's an article that from the U of F study on how ineffective bug zappers are for mosquito control:

http://news.ufl.edu/1997/07/23/zap/

Here's an article also from the university regarding eating garlic (etc) and how that's unproven also:

http://2manytoyz.com/camp/mosquitoes.pdf

I've had a bug zapper for several years. One thing I noticed when emptying the hopper is it contained almost no mosquitoes. Moths, flies, beatles, sure, but very few skeeters. There is a model that uses a C02 source to attract them, and that one apparently does work.

Originally Posted by Gary S
Explain that to the 50,000 or so dead mosquitoes I dump out each morning

Yea, I'd like that explained too. Please post pics if that's really true...

What does work is a Mosquito Magnet. I've had one for years, and it really is effective. Furthermore, here's pictures of the harvest:

Pic at night with a flash:

Short video of it working: http://2manytoyz.com/camp/gear/mosquitomag1.wmv

I've not found anything better, period. I live in FL, not far from "Mosquito Lagoon".

You can stay inside all Summer, spray yourself with DEET everyday, or get one of these $300 machines.

Usually after a couple of 3 week runs (that's how long the propane lasts), the number of mosquitoes drastically drops off. Breaks the breeding cycle. Suddenly, they're about gone. Might see a stray now and then, but nothing like they were weeks before. Consquently, I can enjoy the outdoors without being attacked.

If anyone finds something more effective, let us know make/model of the product, and post PICS of the results. I've tried a number of products, even the electronic dohickey that "mimics the sound of a dragonfly, the natural enemy of the mosquito". I'd like to tie that inventor to a tree at Lake Harney overnight with his product. I think a dinner bell would have been more effective!

Mosquitoes are sneaky. I've worked on 200' tall service towers, and had mosquitoes chase me up there. Even with a breeze, they'll find the lee side and find a way to attack.

I am not affiliated with anyone or anything. I hate mosquitoes. Emptying a full hopper makes me happy! Mosquito Magnets aren't perfect. They last a few years before needing TLC. Sometimes as simple as replacing a nylon screw on the thermistor. For a product that lives outdoors in the FL rain most of the year, and is this effective, I can't complain (much).
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 12:58 PM   #42
Motofixxer

Yep a fan works good till you walk out of the Airstream. Another good excuse for a closed insulated shop with A/C
There are also natural remedies. I just read one recently, I believe it said rub orange on your skin as a repellent.

Click Here for INFORMATIVE Legal Info and videos

Our INALIENABLE Right to Travel Defined Legal Style

Don't Talk to Cops (PLEASE WATCH, Important for any and all Law Enforcement Encounters)
Motofixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-07-2012, 01:09 PM   #43
MoonRise

re: 2manytoyz's post about MosquitoMagnet

Wow. I am impressed (and slightly sickened) by all those mosquitos. Those pics are amazing (especially all those mosquitos flying/crawling around the MM in the night shots).

note to self: add MM to list of things that work and to get one.
MoonRise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #44
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manytoyz View Post
Here's an article also from the university regarding eating garlic (etc) and how that's unproven also:

Quote:
Will Garlic, Bananas, Or Vitamin-B Repel Mosquitoes?

There is no scientific evidence that eating garlic, vitamins, onions, or any other food will make a person repellent to mosquitoes. The attractant level of each individual to biting arthropods is based on a complex interaction of many chemical and visual signals. Certain foods in certain individuals may effect their individual attractiveness to biting arthropods, for better or for worse.
And no "scientific evidence" against it either... They didn't test it or they would have said so, and most lab tests of different products are near useless, (Sticking you arm in a box full of starving mosquitoes is NOT a "scientific test" of anything but their appetite...)

And note that they stated garlic won't make "repellent" I didn't claim that; it makes you less attractive to them... Completely different concept...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:21 PM   #45
bdamico

Quote:
If anyone finds something more effective, let us know make/model of the product, and post PICS of the results. I've tried a number of products, even the electronic dohickey that "mimics the sound of a dragonfly, the natural enemy of the mosquito". I'd like to tie that inventor to a tree at Lake Harney overnight with his product. I think a dinner bell would have been more effective!
I can't post pics because the mosquitoes exist in my misting perimeter in greatly reduced numbers. I have a 40 nozzle misting system around the perimeter of my property and within plant beds fed by a 50 gallon tank of permethrin. It goes off automatically twice a day and I have a remote to spray before we go out and enjoy the pool. It kills on contact and leaves a residue that kills mosquitoes. I will say that we can enjoy our backyard without getting bitten while the neighbors are repeatedly bringing out the foggers. I also know that when we go out for walks in our Florida neighborhood, we're eaten alive.

I looked into the mosquito magnets--I wonder why are there so many negative reviews and claims of malfunctions after one season. I also found that many of the positive reviews are thinly veiled adverts. My research indicated that scientific testing has shown that the Biogents mosquitaire products--available in europe and here by way of importation from mexico--are superior to the mosquito magnet (but of course yours is working amazing). These prooducts are made by the company that makes traps for researchers tracking mosquitoes all over the world (when you look at scientific studies about mosquito populations they often refer to the Biogents or BG Sentinel. They have a proprietary attractant and use direct co2 canisters instead of propane burning to produce co2. To me it makes sense to put out co2 instead of create it.
They have an interesting system that I would have bought if I hadn't bought the misters. They use three traps tied to one co2 control system to create a perimeter instead of just one like the magnet. http://www.trampamosquito.com/ingles...os-trampas.php (powerpoint link on bottom)

just my 2 cents.

Last edited by bdamico; 06-07-2012 at 02:41 PM.
bdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 01:35 PM   #46
tdab

Quote:
Okay, here's an article that from the U of F study on how ineffective bug zappers are for mosquito control:

http://news.ufl.edu/1997/07/23/zap/

I've had a bug zapper for several years. One thing I noticed when emptying the hopper is it contained almost no mosquitoes. Moths, flies, beatles, sure, but very few skeeters. There is a model that uses a C02 source to attract them, and that one apparently does work.

Originally Posted by Gary S
Explain that to the 50,000 or so dead mosquitoes I dump out each morning

Yea, I'd like that explained too. Please post pics if that's really true...

What does work is a Mosquito Magnet. I've had one for years, and it really is effective. Furthermore, here's pictures of the harvest:

Pic at night with a flash:

Short video of it working: http://2manytoyz.com/camp/gear/mosquitomag1.wmv

I've not found anything better, period. I live in FL, not far from "Mosquito Lagoon".

You can stay inside all Summer, spray yourself with DEET everyday, or get one of these $300 machines.

Usually after a couple of 3 week runs (that's how long the propane lasts), the number of mosquitoes drastically drops off. Breaks the breeding cycle. Suddenly, they're about gone. Might see a stray now and then, but nothing like they were weeks before. Consquently, I can enjoy the outdoors without being attacked.

Mosquitoes are sneaky. I've worked on 200' tall service towers, and had mosquitoes chase me up there. Even with a breeze, they'll find the lee side and find a way to attack.

I am not affiliated with anyone or anything. I hate mosquitoes. Emptying a full hopper makes me happy! Mosquito Magnets aren't perfect. They last a few years before needing TLC. Sometimes as simple as replacing a nylon screw on the thermistor. For a product that lives outdoors in the FL rain most of the year, and is this effective, I can't complain (much).
I think we have a winner....Holy Shit Dude ....Look at all those mosquitoes on the wall

That looks like a freakin horror movie!
tdab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:38 PM   #47
sirsloop

That thing actually makes a whole lot of sense. Lure them in with what they want... CO2, warmth, moisture. Then let em dieeeee!
sirsloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 02:51 PM   #48
bora492

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SkeeterVac, by Blue Rhino. I have a good friend in MI with about 5 acres, and he swears by these units. Yes, they are a little finicky & pricey, but I grew up in MI, and have vivid memories of getting eaten alive. No affiliation, etc.

Dave S.
bora492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:23 PM   #49
akdiesel
Alliance Member

We also have a mosquito magnet. Works great. Another idea of the nature sort is to attract more small birds to your area. Subfloor seeds help. Make a water feature that has a current to keep it from gathering mosquito eggs but gives the birds a place to wash and drink.
akdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 07:07 PM   #50
MScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by bora492 View Post
I'm surprised nobody mentioned the SkeeterVac, by Blue Rhino. I have a good friend in MI with about 5 acres, and he swears by these units. Yes, they are a little finicky & pricey, but I grew up in MI, and have vivid memories of getting eaten alive. No affiliation, etc.

Dave S.
I have one of these. It is only about 3 weeks old, so I can't say yet whether it will completely remove the skeeter population, but I have seen a definite decrease in the level of mosquitoes so far. What impresses me is that it also has collected some other blood sucking insects. This model uses a stickey paper on the outside of the drum, has a scent attractive as well as using heat and CO2 to attract.
In our area we have a spring season for black flies that lasts about 2-3 weeks, then mosquitoes which last most of the summer, and deer flies and horse flies which are probably more annoying than mosquitoes. (Incidentally, deer flies can reach more than 40 mph so a fan has little or no effect on them.)
I put the SkeeterVac out near the end of the blackfly season and found it to be almost instantly covered with black flies. There has been a constant trapping of mosquitoes (not quite to the level of the mosquito magnet above though) but what has impressed me is the number of deer and horse flies I am finding stuck to the sticky pad. I don't think I have found any other type of insect on the pad to date....strictly biting, blood sucking insects.
I am impressed so far, but will have to wait to see if there is a long term reduction in biting insects before giving my total acceptance.
MScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #51
dodgeramsst2003

I second the Cutter spray, hook it to the hose (I know water and mosquitoes seems counter intuitive) but it works! I have a 1/3 acre with a creek in the back and spray my yard and my neighbors yard. It works, and I reapply about every month or so once summer hits. A bottle is about 15 bucks and well worth the money although you can buy it in concentrate form which helps the sting a little. In the spring if it's a heavy rain year I probably spray every two weeks.

I might invest in a fogger this year, but since I've had such good luck with the spray I'm not sure yet.
dodgeramsst2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:39 PM   #52
srmofo

Ive seen some pretty effective homemade traps from fans.
Basically just take a large fan,
Place a section of screen mesh over the rear of it. It helps to put some clips on the edges to keep the screen in place.
Turn it on, and empty once a day until the breeding cycle is broken

A tip for this strategy is to also mist the fan with a light bleach water mix before shutting the fan off. It kills the little bastards that are not dead and prevents them from just flying off when shut it down to clean it.

Obviously you also want to get rid of the free standing water

Last edited by srmofo; 06-09-2012 at 02:56 PM.
srmofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #53
Tarheelgarage

For skeeter control, us old time country folks just burn a few old tires in the evening. This seems to repell them

The other week, I burned 2 tires in the evening and the sky was pitch black with smoke; thought the world had come to an end.

Oh yeah, screw the EPA and others that don't like the tire burning...
"One of the consequences of such notions as "entitlements" is that people who have contributed nothing to society feel that society owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence" - Thomas Sowell
Tarheelgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #54
kald

As others have said, big ass fans.
kald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:19 PM   #55
D.J.

Where I work we sell lp gas to a guy that has a MM and he told me he just uses the lp gas and doesn't use the attractant that they supply with it. He thinks the attractant just calls them in from all the neighbors yards, so he leaves that out of the mix. Also he said he puts the MM away from the house next to the alley I think he said.
D.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:54 AM   #56
Jackfre

build and install some bat houses. Many good suggestions here, the best being moving to the Napa Valley. I lived there '77-'85 and was amazed at how few mosquitos there were. Apparently the stuff they use in the vineyards works.

You have to get out of their habitat. Build the walls! Oh, and smoke cigars
Jackfre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #57
2manytoyz

A CO2 bottle would be great. That's what our biologists use at work when trapping mosquitoes. Unfortunately, a little more difficult for me to get than a bottle of propane. Also, heat and C02 is more effective than C02 alone. But I'm still impressed with how well C02 works alone.

I almost bought a Skeeter Vac. Reviews were pretty good, but the "independent testing" results showed it wasn't as effective as the Mosquito Magnet. Consequently, I bought what I had owned years before.

FWIW, we DO have a mosquito control program as part of the county. But they simply drive around the streets with a fogger on the back. Does a pretty good job of getting the skeeters in the front yard. That does nothing for the acres of woods behind my house. There's simply too much property to fly over and spray (the entire island).

There's actually a creek across the back of the property that connects two of the lakes. I throw mosquito dunks in there. Not sure if that is helping or not.

Everyone here gets eaten. Skeeters say garlic just makes you taste Italian, but good none-the-less. We don't need a lab that has a box full of skeeters to put your arm in. Just walk outside at dusk. Chew yer garlic, smoke yer cigars (dog turds), we'll see how you do. I do believe some people smell more like FOOD to skeeters, but if you're breathing, you will too. I love garlic, and still get attacked.

I lived in Northern Michigan (Charlevoix) years ago. Bad skeeters there too part of the year, but still doesn't compare to here. If you aren't wearing DEET, you won't stand outside here for long. Particularly bad this year. Just waiting for them to detect West Nile Virus once again, making it that much more important to kill 'em all.

We have fish, birds, frogs, lizards, dragonflies, etc. All eat skeeters, but you wouldn't know it looking at the population. I scooped about a dozen frogs out of the pool on the screened in patio this morning. Put them in the backyard, and told them to get to work!

Short of a flame-thrower or a daisy cutter, there's no easy solution. Part of the price for living in Paradise. So when you guys up North fuss at us in FL during the Winter, just remember us this time of year when we swat at bugs, and watch for hurricanes.
2manytoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:39 PM   #58
Ridge Runner

Thanks, guys. I wish it were as simple as removing stagnant water, but there isn't any. It's just a naturally moist, shady area.

Re: moving to California - it's beautiful to be sure, but I prefer living in a state without so many restrictive laws.
Ridge Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #59
mdbeck1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge Runner View Post
Thanks, guys. I wish it were as simple as removing stagnant water, but there isn't any. It's just a naturally moist, shady area.

Re: moving to California - it's beautiful to be sure, but I prefer living in a state without so many restrictive laws.
I know that other people have said this and others have said that they don't work but I use a large bug zapper with the chemical attractant. The first few days I can't go near it but after 3-4 days the population seems to drop and the fan works to keep them off of me. I let the light run 24X7 during the summer and have to clean it out every couple of days. the leaf blower does a good temporary cleaning.

I also walk the property (100'X200') and dump the water out of everything.

I've also been told that spraying a little bit of soap mixed with water will kill most of the bugs that are in your yard.
mdbeck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #60
olytdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Save the environment, offer yourself. I hate mosquitoes. Around here they carry Lymes disease.
I think you mean the West Nile Virus. Lyme is related to deer ticks.
olytdi is offline   Reply With Quote