Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-09-2012, 10:38 PM   #1
Mister Moose

Default Tool chest review - Sears, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight

As if there aren’t enough threads already on Harbor Freight tool cabinets. I think this offers new material, so I started a new thread.

I initially set out to compare 26” roll away tool chests, and in the process looked at the 41 inch series as well. I don’t use my tools to make money, but I do maintain and fix most everything I own, and it was time to consolidate my tool collection into a well constructed chest, but I knew I didn’t want to spend thousands. In researching on line I kept coming across a wealth of information here on Garage Journal that was a big help. Nothing better than reading some real life experiences from actual users of these chests. Many of the reviews were quite subjective though. This one felt better than that one. This one seemed like it could hold more weight than that one. While I agree, you can feel the difference in some cases, use over time loaded up would tell much more than feel. I wanted to know what construction was under the covers. They all look the same from the outside. Shiny paint, casters, full width silver pulls. So armed with a camera, calipers, and the willingness to take chests apart on the showroom floor, I set out to discover what was the best consumer grade tool chest out there for the money. Well, in my neck of New England, anyway. And because stumbling onto this forum was so useful, I’ll pay it forward and share in detail what I found.

This information reflects what was in stores in April and May of 2012. Older cabinet construction may be different. I looked at Sams and Costco, but there were no tool boxes when I was in.

Sears.
I thought this was where I would end up. The Craftsman name was generally well respected, the no nonsense warranty was great, and they have as good a chance as anyone to be around for a long time in the future. My wife actually started this whole foray by buying me a 26” 5 drawer Quiet Glide rollaway for my birthday. (Note: Any wife that buys her husband a tool chest for his birthday confirms that you indeed married the right woman) The tool chest was waiting for me to pick up a few towns away. She explained that she was going to buy the ball bearing model, but this (Quiet Glide) cost more and the salesman said it was better. I was immediately skeptical, and started looking at the inside of tool chests at Sears.

Long story short, there is a horrific low grade of “Basic” ball bearing tool boxes at Sears. They are almost as bad as the black cheapos at Harbor Freight, and it is true they are less expensive than the Quiet Glide models. They aren’t even worth reviewing. They are confusing, as there is very little to tell them apart from the more mainstream, better built (regular) ball bearing models. I passed on the ‘Quiet Glide’ models as well as they are nothing more than some plastic runners on steel sliders. My wife said “No problem, I’ll cancel the one I ordered and you can pick out the one you want.” Cool.

Ball Bearing.
The (regular) ball bearing series is fairly flimsy. The drawers are made of the 2nd thinnest material in the field I reviewed. Only the awful black tool boxes at Harbor Freight were thinner. There is a lot of wobble to the deeper drawers. There is no top drawer edge reinforcement as many others have. The height of the drawer slides is second worst, and the casters are the very worst; 4˝“ plastic wheels on a simple axle with no bearing. The deeper drawers still only have one slide. Caster reinforcement is somewhat typical with a sheet metal channel doubled up with one edge bent to an ‘L’ shape on only one side. The boxes were expensive for the quality, a 5 drawer 26” base was 265 on ‘sale’ from 379. These things are always on sale. 4 drawer was 255/319.

The disappointing worst in the field plastic caster.

Sears smaller 1 1/16” slides, 12 pairs ball bearings.

Grip Latch.
This is a further disappointment. I expected this series to be better built, but for the most part it isn’t. The grip latch is a good idea, and it works…. sort of good. I saw a floor model where the grip latch failed. The hinge is nothing more than a tab through a slot with the two ends of the tab bent into ears. The ears had failed on the floor model and the handle was loose, flopping at an angle and not gripping the latch. The weight of the handle keeps a little sheet metal barb locked in the slide frame, until you lift the handle. A nice feature, most of them work fine, and under light duty use it would probably last. The drawer slides are upgraded to a more industry standard 1 3/8”, but the drawers are the same thin un-reinforced drawers that are in the regular ball bearing models. The box construction is the same. You get upgraded to a 5” cheap plastic caster. The handle for all these cabinets is just a piece of pipe, crimp bent and bolted on. This is the cheesiest handle I saw. The 41” 14 drawer base was on sale for 775, down from 969. That’s a lot of money, and it turns out to be very uncompetitive.

The Grip Latch caster. $775, and still a cheesy plastic wheel on an axle caster.

How the Grip Latch works. Better 1 3/8 12 pair bearing slides, but same non reinforced drawer.

Heavy Duty Limited Edition.
This sounds very impressive. It’s nothing more than a ball bearing chest with the 1 3/8” slides, but no grip latch.

Stainless Steel series.
Like the grip latch, but with riveted on stainless drawer fronts.

Pro Series.
This was talked about in this forum, but there were no floor models to look at.

All the floor models are overpriced, underbuilt disappointments. I’m fine with their hand tools, but the chests and roller cabinets are not worth the price, not by a long shot. The tool chest buyer at Sears should be publicly run out of town.

Home Depot.
Nothing to see here. Worse than Sears. The same box construction as Sears, same recessed side wall, small slides, flimsy drawers, but there was no reinforcing visible at all at the base for the casters. Visions of the cabinet floor buckling at the caster with any weight added. No good at any price, which by the way was a lot less than Sears. At least Home Depot priced their junk appropriately. $169 for a 5 drawer base, $259 for a 6 drawer base. You even get an MDF work top. Although not on the one in the photo, it must have went on walkabout.

2nd Cheapest of the cheap. Run.

Home Depot at a different store also had a 5 drawer 42” stainless cabinet. This is different than the Sears/Waterloo construction. All drawer fronts are full width over the frame Euro cabinet style on 1 3/8 slides, but the sheet metal is still too lightweight. $349

Tractor Supply
They carry 2 lines, Jobsmart, and Masterhand.

Jobsmart is just like the Sears ball bearing series, except it’s black, and the slides are smaller. There are only 8 pairs of ball bearings per 1” high slide, the worst in the group. OK, it’s not like Sears, it’s worse.

Jobsmart 26” chest set. Looks identical to Masterhand from the outside.

Masterhand is better. The drawers are from the same stock, but the top edge is rolled over double to stiffen the drawer. The slides are 1 3/8” with 12 pairs of ball bearings, and have a detent. The deep drawer has 2 slides, where Jobsmart had 1 slide. The two look identical from the outside. The really odd part is that they are priced the same. That’s right, you can get cheapo drawers and slides or decent ones for the same money at the same store. The 26 inch 8 drawer base is $329, and the 40” 12 drawer base is $499. Comes with an MDF top as well. These cabinets are apparently sold at other stores in other parts of the country under the same names.

Masterhand 42” cabinet. Behind to the left is the Jobsmart 41” cabinet. Outwardly identical, same price.

Masterhand 12 pair roller bearing cage

Masterhand & Jobsmart caster. Better hard rubber, hard to tell the bearing type with the shield in place.

Last edited by Mister Moose; 06-10-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Mister Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Mister Moose

Default Re: Tool chest review - Sears, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight

Lowes.
Lowes has several series on the floor. Having looked at enough lightweight offerings, I didn’t pay too much attention to the two lines that were the cheapest (Task Force). They were locked with no keys to be seen, and I couldn’t see inside. One drawer was open on the Task Force and I could see it was just a 1” slide like the cheapest Sears box. Maybe they were locked on purpose?

27” Kobalt base cabinet.
This comes in 2 flavors in the store, a few more on line. The 6 drawer base is $340, the 4 drawer is $239. The construction is the best so far. Instead of a ‘L’ channel supporting the casters, there is a second bend in the plate forming a ‘U’ channel. Much stronger. The drawer stock is thicker than all the previously reviewed chests. (See the table below for a listing of all sheet metal thicknesses in the various brands) The slides are the bigger 1 3/8, with 12 pairs of ball bearings. The casters are beefy 2x5 ball bearing urethane tired ones with a nice big fat plate for your toe brake pedal. There is an outgoing older series built the same but with thin a la Sears drawer pulls, the newer ones are thick pulls. There are several unique features like beveled corners on the box, a power strip on the right side, and a molded top that is recessed to take either a 12” or 18” top chest, and has a few screwdriver and cup holders. The deep 8” drawer on the 4 drawer base has 2 sets of slides. The detents on it are noticeablely stiffer. Good for keeping the drawers closed, not so good for easy opening. There is a stainless version of this if you want the upgrade.

The inside. Notice the double gusset ‘U’ channel reinforcing the caster attach points. 12 pair bearing cage. This caster is better, but there was one I saw at a different store with an even better caster and brake, the assembly part source isn’t consistent. The sign says “double wall construction”, but it isn’t, it is reinforced in spots single wall. Their stainless version was true double wall.

41” Kobalt Stainless base cabinet.
There is no 41” painted cabinet, only stainless. The drawers here have rolled over top edges, much stiffer. 6” drawers have one slide, deeper than that they have 2 slides. The slides are 1 3/8 with 12 pairs of ball bearings. The box construction is true full height double wall. Detents on the drawers feels slightly easier, but that could be not consistent, as the slides appear identical. The drawer stock is .0435” stainless steel. The 11 drawer base is $610, the 9 drawer top chest is $470. On my most recent trip to Lowes the 41” box was marked down to $485. Not sure if that’s a local or national sale.

I wouldn’t spend the $610 on the 41” model, (Double the 27”) but I was seriously considering the 6 drawer 27” model. Hopefully a Lowes coupon would hit my mailbox sometime soon. In the process of reading tool cabinet reviews on line, I stumbled upon this forum and the big following of the Harbor Freight boxes.

Harbor Freight.
I had my share of bad harbor freight experiences, and knew what the usual offering was. I have a 36” bench top sander of theirs that works, but the tracking is iffy, the hardware is cheap, and the belt goes thump thump thump every revolution. I hadn’t even considered the place until i started reading good reviews here.

So on the advice of you folks, I stroll in. The black 30” 11 drawer set is scary. Just what you expect at Harbor Freight. It was the worst of any I looked at. The drawer stock is only .027” and feels like you can bend it with your fingers. Sticky steel slides, no ball bearings. Run from this one.

26” set, 16 drawer combo.
Available only as a matched set, this is currently priced at $359, with coupons out there for less (I’ve seen $300). The drawer slides are an odd 1 1/8” size, and have 14 pairs of ball bearings on a 6.5” cage. The drawer stock is .0415, the same as Kobalt. Casters are standard quality 2”x5” reinforced with a single bend .065” ‘L’ plate. Box walls are .051”. Deep drawers have only 1 slide.

26” HF caster. Single gusset ‘L’ channel reinforcement underneath. Caster looks like the Masterhand type.

44” 13 drawer base cabinet.
Otherwise known as the favorite child of a large percentage of Garage Journal members. Currently priced at $389 with $349 and $359 coupons in circulation. This has the 1 3/8 drawer slides, but where most are pressed or snapped in using detents, these are riveted in and are tight. The pressed in ones in other brands are loose and wiggle a little. Top 4” and bottom 6” drawers have dual slides. The rest of the drawers are 3”. The slides are 14 pairs of ball bearings on 7 inch cages with a comfortable amount of detent on closing. Better than the more expensive Kobalt. Drawer stock (and the case) is .052”, the thickest sheet metal of any store brand tool box out there. Drawer top edges are doubled over. Full dual wall box construction. Underneath, instead of the sheetmetal ‘U’ channel, there is 1/8” angle iron welded around the perimeter, and to support the casters 2 additional pairs of 1/8” angle iron is welded to the frame to bolt the casters to. This is a quantum jump up in box strength. The casters show it, they are steel core 5” wheel with a hard polyurethane tire, a 3/8” axle, and ball bearings on the swivel, both with zerc fittings. There are no bearings on the axle however, it is just a greased axle in a steel sleeve. This is the low point of this box, the caster on the 5 drawer cart for $150 has 2 sealed ball bearings supporting the axle. Why didn’t they use that system here?

Lower drawer with double slides, riveted to drawer. Look at the left side upper edge, the rolled over reinforcement is visible. Lesser drawers don’t have this. Also, look at the drawer front. Both the top drawer pull and the lower edge of the front form a structural girder that allows more weight before deforming.

The 14 pair roller bearing cage. Full double wall construction.

The steel wheel caster with polyurethane tire. You can also see the other style casters on the 56” and the 5 drawer cart. Look at the dual angle iron supports & perimeter angle iron welded to the cabinet, and compare that to the ‘U’ channel visible on the 5 drawer cart.

The steel swivel caster, mediocre brake (The 57” one is far better) and visible zerc grease fitting for the axle. There is also one for the swivel.

The caster laid out for you to see. There is a hard rubber bushing in between the steel wheel and the steel sleeve the axle rides in. I’m not planning on rolling mine around much. If you are, I’d think about upgrading the casters, or be aware they might not roll as easy as time goes by and the box gets heavier.

57” 11 drawer base cabinet. To the above add a finger latch to each drawer, upgrade to even beefier .061” drawer and box stock, and even bigger casters. $799.

So for me, the choice came down to a reasonably well constructed Kobalt box that is 27” wide for $340 (or less if I can get a coupon or find a sale), or a 44” wide Harbor Freight box for $349. Hmmm. Better construction, and 63% more storage for nine dollars. This is a no brainer. I bought the HF 44” box.

Unloading out of the pick-up was a snap with a skid steer, just slide it into the bucket!

Matco
Just to compare to a higher end tool truck box, I measured up a 40” Matco box at a mechanic shop I do business with. The drawer slides were the same 1 3/8 tall slides, but they had 16 pairs of ball bearings. The drawer stock was .050, same as HF. The corner posts of the box were a thick .108. The thicker corner posts and the extra pair of ball bearings in the slides were the only 2 notable differences in construction I could see. Knowing what I do about Chinese metallurgy, I would expect the Matco welding quality to be superior, but I had no way to verify that. It is a very deep breath to pay the extra tool truck price, but you do get on site service, a better warranty, financing to make it seem palatable, and you won’t have to peel the name plate off in shame. You will however pay dearly for that name plate.

This whole name plate shame thing really should stop if in fact HF has built a high quality box and offers it with no expensive commissioned salesman in a truck to the vast unwashed masses of us garage folk.

Here’s most of the details distilled down in a easily compared summary:

Those of you that say Sears has better cabinets than Harbor Freight haven’t been to Sears and Harbor Freight lately. I wasn't able to review models others have noted from Costco or Sam's Club as they had no models in stock when I visited.

UPDATE: New Home Depot model - see post #192 in this thread.

Last edited by Mister Moose; 01-05-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-09-2012, 11:36 PM   #3
fitz11

Default Re: Tool chest review - Sears, Tractor Supply, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight

Wow nice write up! I own two of the 44” harbor freight units myself.
fitz11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:37 PM   #4
sselander

I was actually in a Sears store for the first time in fifteen plus years a few days ago.
The boxes were very disappointing as you pointed out.
I was fortunate to get mine in the early 90's when one of the Sears closed up.

Pic is the exact model that I have, not mine though.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg cman.jpg (13.5 KB, 443 views)
sselander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
mark40sw

My HF boxes had casters with roller bearings. That side plastic washer pushes out and a cage containing the rollers is there, unless HF changed this in the last few years.

I also removed that odd grease fitting, retapped to standard grease fitting.
mark40sw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:03 AM   #6
archirelic

This is an excellent write-up for anyone interested in purchasing their first tool chest!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Your Dumb
This guy crapped on his own plate then was upset that dinner smelled like shit
archirelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #7
shoturtle

That is the best thing in the whole HF store, their US General boxes. The Large ones in particular the 44 and 57.

For truck brand, I would go with a mac. They are not as expensive as so or the matco ones.

Last edited by shoturtle; 06-10-2012 at 12:52 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
ShadowRuleZ

Thanks, great read.
ShadowRuleZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #9
Thruxton

Great contribution- many thanks!

My 19 X 19 wood-metal-car shop redo - Major Milestones Update July '12!
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92642

I want what I do to look like I did it on purpose.
Thruxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #10
ejm1961Tbird

Thanks for the great write up!
ejm1961Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Originalspanksta

Excellent post. Very informative.
Originalspanksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
zjrog

Hmmm, I got the 44" box and saw the zerc fitting and thought the casters were ball bearing throughout. Not that it moves much. Awesome write up and info. Thanks for the time that that took!

When it comes to Heroes, RENEGADES are mine!
zjrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #13
allinon72

Excellent assessment.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:14 PM   #14
5lima30

Good review! I am not in the market for a tool chest but if I was it would probably be the HF US General or the TSC Masterhand. My wrenching buddy got a Masterhand last Christmas. I helped him set it up. It is also a very decent well made box and he has been very happy with his! I was impressed with the weight that the drawers would handle.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #15
blue2golf

Good review, well worth reading.
blue2golf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
marty_p

Mister Moose, I commend you on such a thorough, impartial narrative!
> 2008 Kia Rondo LX (our first princess)
> 1988 Jeep Wranger Laredo YJ (memorialized)

OIIIIIIIO Build it, run it, break it, repeat...
marty_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #17
OldracerJones

Excellent article, thanks to you I will be buying a new box. My craftsman is corroding after 4 years.
OldracerJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #18
KEH

Completely agree with your assessment of Sears tool boxes. When stainless rool chests started being stocked at Lowes and Sears a few years ago, I looked them over and couldn't find one that wasn't made in China. My opinion is that the quality of the stainless boxes has gone down somewhat since they were first introduced.

Some of the Sears boxes are made in China. You have to find one still packed in the cardbox the find COO.

KEH
KEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #19
Mister Moose

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark40sw View Post
My HF boxes had casters with roller bearings. That side plastic washer pushes out and a cage containing the rollers is there, unless HF changed this in the last few years.

I also removed that odd grease fitting, retapped to standard grease fitting.
This got me curious, so I removed the caster again, and pushed out the steel sleeve a little.

You are correct, there is a roller bearing inside. Not very good quality though.

Altough the light isn't very good, you can see the steel sleeve pushed up is not a clean shiny surface. It is rough for a bearing race.

The roller cage is a crude plastic casting. The wheel bearing surface, or outer bearing race is not smooth or polished either. It has more the look of a casting. As bearings go, it's pretty rough. It does spin adequately, although that's with no load. It's still way better than a simple riveted axle through a solid caster, but it seems there is room for improvement here.

Perhaps owners that have had these for several years, and roll them around with some weight in them recently could weigh in on how the bearings hold up.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:45 PM   #20
deepsea

How do the Stanley tool boxes hold up? There selection is limited but the price is very low
deepsea is offline   Reply With Quote