Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-17-2012, 04:32 AM   #1
homesale

Default Has any one used the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleeding?

Has any one used the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleeding? Is it more effective than the 2 man process?

Can you outline the process?

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...d+extractor.do
homesale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 04:48 AM   #2
Danglerb

Default Re: Has any one used the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleedi

Its a MityVac something, I have that model and once you have one, you will never want to be without one. Bought mine from Amazon or Tooltopia for cheap, less than $70. One that runs off shop air is more, same for one that pumps and sucks.

Slurp out spills in the engine valley or pits, drain fluids from the top instead of the bottom. Swapped 5 gallons of gas between cars on Friday.

Sorry never used mine for brakes, and friends shop with a couple of them still do the brakes two man. I've heard it better for bleeding some lines, but I don't know details.
Danglerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 AM   #3
homesale

Default Re: Has any one used the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleedi

How do you one man brake bleed with the griots garage multi-fluid extractor?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
dankicksass

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesale View Post
How do you one man brake bleed with the griots garage multi-fluid extractor?
Won't be as easy or automatic as the BG PF7 brake service unit you'll see in many shops, but the basic concept of one-man bleeding is simple. Hook up four lines to the bleeder screws and do it all at once like the BG method, or use one line and a diagonal bleed pattern (RR, LF, LR, RF) or front axle then rear axle for a split-at-the-propvalve system for the more common Mityvac type vacuum bleed tools. Use an automatic brake fluid level maintainer if you have one, or add from the bottle as you work. Some vehicles have their own power bleed options built in, that use the ABS/TRAC/SKID module to bleed brakes if you have a factory diag tool. Bleed until the fluid comes out gold and you're good to go.

Edit: I didn't realize the Griots branded Mityvac oilchange kit was manual pump. If you don't already own it, I'd recommend a pneumatic unit. It's only a few bucks more and it'll save your back.

Last edited by dankicksass; 06-17-2012 at 06:05 AM.
dankicksass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:44 PM   #5
homesale

When using the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleeding, do you just do the following?:

1. Place fender cover over fender. Jack up car & remove wheels. Clean off master cylinder cap and remove.

2. Use griots garage multi-fluid extractor to remove old brake fluid from master cylinder but don't go below low mark. Refill master cylinder with brake fluid. (Follow bleed sequence in helm manual.)

3. Hook griots garage multi-fluid extractor tube to bleed screw. Crack open bleed screw then retighen with less torque so that it can be easily opened again.

4. While bleed screw is closed, pump griots garage multi-fluid extractor 5 -6 times to create vaccum.

5. Crack open bleed screw to suck out brake fluid and air.

6. Repeat procedure and keep added brake fluid to the MC making sure it does drop below low mark.

Did I miss anything??? Do I have to press down on the brake pedal at anytime in the process?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:11 PM   #6
dankicksass

Those instructions are awful.

1. You don't really need to remove wheels, typically. If you just did brake work, they're probably off anyway, but it's not necessary.
2. Don't suck fluid out of a master cylinder reservoir. Generally not smart, you can make it go dry too easy that way.
3/4. Don't apply vacuum to a closed bleeder. You may damage your tool or your hose.
5/6. Those are good. Follow that.

Don't press the brake pedal ever when doing a power bleed. Not advised.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:59 PM   #7
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

I have a vacula and air powered mityvac
work great ...worth the $$$$$
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:39 PM   #8
Adam McLaughlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankicksass View Post
Those instructions are awful.

1. You don't really need to remove wheels, typically. If you just did brake work, they're probably off anyway, but it's not necessary.
2. Don't suck fluid out of a master cylinder reservoir. Generally not smart, you can make it go dry too easy that way.
3/4. Don't apply vacuum to a closed bleeder. You may damage your tool or your hose.
5/6. Those are good. Follow that.

Don't press the brake pedal ever when doing a power bleed. Not advised.
Ha Ha Ha Ha

Funny

Adam
Old 06-17-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Fedwrench
Alliance Member

for the vacula and mityvac pneumatic bleeders. If you don't have access to compressed air, I would opt for the motive bleeders.

http://www.motiveproducts.com/
Old 06-17-2012, 11:23 PM   #10
Oldndirty

I use an old siphon wand. Put clear hose on bleeder, insert wand in empty 5 gal pail (top on, cap unscrewed. Open bleeder. Keep it topped off. With clear hose you can see when ail bubbles are gone.
I have adapters and fittings from a hand pump that didnt work , covers most bleeders.
Oldndirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:09 AM   #11
homesale

So once the griots garage multi-fluid extractor is attached to the bleed screw, you just crack open the bleed screw and start pumping and just wait for the fluid to come out with out bubbles?

According to this video with a one man - hand held pump, the guy closes the bleed screw, then pumps the device by hand, and then cracks open the bleed screw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVDhM...eature=related

Don't you have to close the bleed screw and pump in order to get the vaccum????

Hand held Brake Bleeder And Vacuum Pump Kit works on the same principle as the griots garage multi-fluid extractor.

Last edited by homesale; 06-18-2012 at 01:12 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:13 AM   #12
homesale

The Advance Auto video on youtube tells you to siphon old brake fluid out of master cylinder, don't go below the low mark.

Advance Auto video uses a hand held vacuum pump, but someone has pumped the brakes in the car before he opens the bleed screw. After he opens the bleed screw, he starts pumping the hand held vacuum pump.

Advance Auto video on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OArwt...eature=related
Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 AM   #13
homesale

The two video links that I posted have processes that are contradictory to "dankicksass" advice.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:48 AM   #14
homesale

I found the griots garage multi-fluid extractor user guide online:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/text/pdf/10115.pdf

Here are the instructions:

Bleeding Brakes with griots garage multi-fluid extractor

The Multi Fluid Extractor comes with a suction tube with fittings and a red in-line valve to control the flow of used brake
fluid. Start by connecting the main suction tube fitting to the hole in the top of the Multi Fluid Extractor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before removing the cap from your vehicle's brake fluid reservoir (master cylinder), clean all dirt off the top of the reservoir. This prevents foreign
matter from entering the brake system. Remove the cap from the brake fluid reservoir.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Using the pump handle, pump 3 to 5 times to create a vacuum in the container. Use the red rubber fitting on the clear tube to suck out all the old fluid from the
reservoir. For larger bleeder fittings remove the red rubber fitting and place the clear plastic hose directly onto the fitting. If
you're not getting any suction, adjust the red in-line valve so air and fluid can flow through the tube. Avoid mixing the old and
new brake fluid.

For electronic ABS brake systems, turn the key to the "ACC" position, press the brake pedal and put the gear selector to the "D"
position. Do not start the engine. The valve will open and allow brake fluid to flow out at the calipers when the bleeder screw
is loosened.

When changing or repairing the master cylinder, calipers or wheel cylinders, it is necessary to press the brake pedal twice to
push out the air that is inside.

Quick Tip: Always start with the furthest wheel and work your way in towards the closest wheel
in relation to the brake fluid reservoir/master cylinder location. This usually means the right rear, left rear, right front and finishing
up with the left front.

Put a wrench onto the bleeder screw. Place the red rubber fitting, on the end of the clear, plastic tube, onto the bleeder screw.
(We recommend that you put some grease around the bleeder screw before hand to prevent air from leaking through the screw threads.)

Pump the handle of the Multi Fluid Extractor 3 to 5 times to create a vacuum. Once under vacuum, loosen the bleeder screw allowing brake fluid to be sucked out. The red, in-line valve
on the tube can be opened or closed to control the amount of fluid being extracted. Adjust valve allowing a slow and steady
removal of brake fluid. It is normal to see air gaps or bubbles in the brake fluid as fluid is removed from the system. This is
caused by air seeping in from the loosened bleeder valve threads as mentioned earlier.

As the old brake fluid flows out, check the fluid level and add as needed.

Do not depress the brake pedal of the car while bleeding the brakes unless trying to remove a blockage.
If the fluid does not flow out smoothly from the bleeder screw because of blockage, press the brake pedal in order to clear out any dirt.

When the color of the liquid is clear and the fluid is free from most air bubbles, tighten the bleeder screw. To prevent air from entering the
brake system at the bleeder screw, the red rubber fitting should be removed only after the bleeder screw has been tightened. It
is normal to see air bubbles with the brake fluid inside the clear tube during extraction as air will get into the tube through the
gap on the threads of the wheel cylinder’s nozzle. The tube can now be removed from the bleeder screw.

Repeat the above procedure at every wheel. Some cars are equipped with a brake balancer at the rear wheels. The brake fluid
in the wheel cylinders will appear to decrease when there is no load at the rear wheels or when the car is lifted up. The balance
rod or the spring valve need to be pressed off in order to have smooth fluid release.

Before driving, check the brakes. The pedal should feel solid when depressed with no sponginess. If in doubt, repeat the whole procedure.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #15
Tony N.

I just bought the Harborfreight pneumatic power bleeder and it is awesome. It's only $20-something with 20% coupon. Don't get the mityvac hand held one for bleeding. It's a pain to operate and your forearm will get a work out every time you bleed.
Tony N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:49 PM   #16
4x4gearhead

If you were going to bleed all 4 calipers or calipers/wheel cyl's wouldnt you still want to go furthest from the master and work your way back? instead of the diagonal pattern? This is how Ive always done it.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
gtixpress

I have an older Motiv power bleeder that I've used on my VW GTI. Worked perfectly.
gtixpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Cryptic1911

I have one of those that I bought to change oil in one of my cars since the filter was on the top. It worked, but honestly it was slow, and kind of a pain in the ass. The lines they give you are a hard plastic, not very flexible.. you have to keep the tank away from the car a bit to take some of the arc out of the lines, otherwise they want to push out and tip the tank over when it's empty (since it's tall).

It beats having to jack up the car to drain the oil, but like I said, it's a bit of a pain in the ass
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:27 PM   #19
Cryptic1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtixpress View Post
I have an older Motiv power bleeder that I've used on my VW GTI. Worked perfectly.
I also have one of these, and I would suggest it over the griots extractor for brake bleeding
Cryptic1911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #20
homesale

Cryptic1911, have you used the griots garage multi-fluid extractor for one man brake bleeding? Did it perform well?

I read that using teflon tape around the bleed screw gets rid of the air that gets through the bleed screw threads when it is cracked open.

I also read that applying grease around the bleed screw threads works. What type of grease should I use?