Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-22-2012, 08:47 PM   #1
fordbroncodave

Default grain bin storage?

anyone on here use grain bins to store stuff other then grain or corn? how do these assemble and disassemble? how heavy are the pieces?

what kind of sealer do you use to seal the seams? how do you fix the base so its attached to a cement foundation or any kind of flooring?

my needs list:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...fordbroncodave
fordbroncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 09:27 PM   #2
cowboy73

Default Re: grain bin storage?

This is a pretty good writeup.

http://joy-at-home.hubpages.com/hub/...cture-Tutorial

You could use roofing cement for a sealer but I don't recall seeing too many with any kind of sealer on them.
cowboy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-22-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
jeb1978

There's caulk on all the seams between all the panels, and all the capscrews that hold the panels together have a sealing washer under the head.

Weight of the panels depends on it's size and location in the bin. Panels towards the bottom are heavier (thicker gauge) than the ones at the top (corn, etc. pushes it weight out at a downward angle). Weight of the roof pieces depends on size as well.

My dad bought a two grain bins back in the mid 1990s and we moved them to our farms. The smaller one was around 20' in diameter, 7 rings high and holds around 8000 bushel. The larger was was around 40' in diameter, 7 rings high and holds around 20000 bushel.

He bought a set of bin jacks to disassemble and assemble them... nothing more than a small three legged crane with a winch. You staggered them around the bin, bolted the winch to the 2nd from the bottom panels, and then went around the bin turning the winches one at a time until the bin was in the air. The bottom ring was removed, then the bin was lowered, the winches reattached, the bin raised, and the process repeated. As they say in the car manuals, installation is the reverse of removal. The roof was always the harder part due to the slope, we got creative with a lot of long boards, an old corn elevator, tractors with loaders, etc.

I recall that two people could lift most panels on either one of these bins, seems like the heaviest I recall one being is around 100 lbs. The bigger the bin, the thicker the metal, and the larger the panel.

I'm sure the professional guys have winches that are hydraulically or electrically powered and all work from the push of a button, or in the case of the really large (at the large grain elevators), cranes are used. I had heard of folks using helicopters to move assembled grain bins all in one piece, but have never seen it.

From what I recall, the bin is attached to the concrete foundation with L brackets that bolt to the bottom ring and the concrete. Nothing fancy. Both bins we moved had a floor that was elevated about 12" over the concrete (one using cinder block, one using a rebar looking fence piece) as the auger system to unload the bin is under the floor. The floor is also perforated to allow the dryers (large fans, usually with some kind of heater) to blow air from the bottom of the bin up through the top to dry the grain.

As for other uses, there was (or maybe is) a restaurant near Decatur IL built inside of one, you could maybe cut a hole in the side of one to use as a garage or outbuilding. I'd like to see if anyone left the bottom rings intact, removed the roof, and made a swimming pool out of one.

Best bet if you have one you don't know what to do with is to either sell it for scrap or sell it to someone who could move it and use it. Either way, make them removing it part of the deal....
jeb1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
fordbroncodave

reason I ask is because grandpa has 2 that are the same size, roughly 1200 bushel each. probably 10 feet wide by 10 feet tall.

how heavy do you suppose it weighs? can we assemble it without jacks?

my needs list:

http://garagejournal.com/forum/showt...fordbroncodave
fordbroncodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:17 PM   #5
esmith2039

Dad uses his for storage.. only had grain in there twice maybe. His is the shorter version (don't know the size). It sets on a concrete pad and he's never did anything else to it. No leaks no mice but he does set things off the floor. Perfect storage solution it seems.
esmith2039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
rkevins

are they leg bins or on a floor? If it has a name on it like GSI, Brock you should be able to go to their website and find info. If they don't have a name go to eather website and most both companies build good bins so you should be able to get info an assembly and weight. the calking for the seams is a butal type material in a roll (all the leg bins I have delt with were)
rkevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #7
Okie Pete

Check around the local Co-op or a bin dealer a set of bin jacks will make it easier to take apart. The set we have are 10' tall with a hand crank boat wench on them. You pick up on the ring above the one you are taking off, unbolt the ring ,set the bin down , rehook above the next ring and repete. If you can set the top 1/2 of bin on a trailer to move it you wont have to take it all apart. Unless there is a width problem.
If you arn't moving the bins far . I have set the bin on a pair of highline poles and skidded them.
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
luvit

i've never torn one down, but the crane and tire in this pic was the way we set them up... they used a crane and tire in this site to take it down:

luvit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

I've only seen them used for grain. Corn cribs, I have used to store firewood in.

You're going to need jacks to raise/lower it or atleast a crane.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Okie Pete

Look up Farm Show magazine there is a article on converting grain bins into cottages , bachlor pads.