Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #1
DENALIAKITAS

Default Pole barn ceiling/roof insulation options?

I will be having a 30x40 pole barn/building constructed for a work shop. I plan to use closed cell spray foam for the exterior walls but i am unsure how the best way to go about sealing/insulating the ceiling and/or roof. Should i spray foam the underside of the roof as well or would it be better to put a ceiling/liner on the bottom of the trusses then blow in some cellulose or artic cat fiberglass on top of that? If i go the latter route would there be any issues with condensation forming on the bottom of the roof tin? Thanks for your input.
DENALIAKITAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
Jbullfrog
Alliance Member

Default Re: Pole barn ceiling/roof insulation options?

You have to use a vapor barrier between the ceiling steel and the blown in insulation. This will keep the heat and or cold contained within and the roof steel will be what ever the temperature is on the otherside of it.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
crewguy

The guys down here use 6" batt insulation and either chicken wire or plastic to cover the batts. However we use the metal trusses spaced @ 12'.
crewguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
K'ledgeBldr

Spraying the whole thing would be the best-
No vapor barrier, no air gap, chicken wire, battens, baffles, etc., etc., etc.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:39 PM   #5
cyamaha2007

if i could go back id spray it all. More money but far better.
cyamaha2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
PeterT

I used unfaced R30 batts, laying directly on the metal panels (20'x3' ceiling panels) in my pole barn, its about 50x95.
I haven't had any moisture issues and it keeps the barn comfortable.

Home Depot had the pink stuff on sale for about $10 a roll.

Last edited by PeterT; 07-06-2012 at 10:55 PM.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:16 PM   #7
93L#3008

anyone paint their rafters black and spray foam against the metal? I will have 16'scissor trusses and have seen this in restaurants and commercial buildings. Lights would hang from trusses. Might be an alternative to expense of metal ceiling and time to install.
93L#3008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:03 PM   #8
Drinkin-N-Thinkin

Insulating a metal building is obviously a widely debated topic with many different perspectives and techniques (I am building a 36x54 workshop and I'm at this stage now). I plan on spraying as well, but here's is what I learned from my research:
1) When spraying the walls, at least 1/2 the R value of the wall should be closed cell foam; this is to put the condensation point inside the foam. It's not cheap--but I'll just do a 1 inch layer at a time as I can affort it. If you're only planning on spraying an inch with nothing else this won't matter, but if you are planning on adding more insulation and enclosing the wall keep this in mind.
2) For the ceiling, you can spray 1 inch of foam on the top of the ceiling (attic side) as an air barrier; put some poly up on the inside of the ceiling (warm side--since you are only using 1 inch) and blow on top of that. Make sure you don't block the eave vents to maintain adequite ventilation.
3) Insure you have PLENTY of ventilation around the parimeter at the eaves and decide if you want to vent naturally with a ridge vent or powervent. I increased my eaves to 24 inches all the way around and very glad I did it. I chose two 10 inch ridge vents.
4) I am considering not spraying the roof part (or only doing the center, staying off the perlins) because after a while (if you have the standard raised rib panel with the screw at the top of the rib) I think those rubber washers that seal the fastener will cook out and become a potential leak point. If the roof is foamed underneath, there won't be anywhere for the water to go causing a potential for the metal roof to rust or trusses to rot and possibly void the warranty. That's my situation. If you haven't built yet and still want to spray the roof, I would put plywood on top of the perlins then tar paper (or some other barrier) then the metal and you can foam underneith the plywood. I have been told by my manufacturer just insulating the ceiling and leaving the roof should be fine (I explained this entire plan to them).
5) Don't forget the floor--concrete is very porous. Minimum: poly under the concrete, possibly seal the surface after that. Not sure if you are thinking of it or how cold it is there for you, but if you can, insulate the bottom and sides of the floor with 2" foam and run PEX tube in it now so later you can heat with radiant. If you are doing a frost wall, make sure the slab floats.

Last edited by Drinkin-N-Thinkin; 07-08-2012 at 09:40 PM.
Drinkin-N-Thinkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:45 PM   #9
Dave Maxwell

I am Puting 2 inch foamboard 2 foot down verticaly. My slab isn't floating though. It has metal out riggers on each post that will be in the concrete. Is that ok
Dave Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:03 AM   #10
Drinkin-N-Thinkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Maxwell View Post
I am Puting 2 inch foamboard 2 foot down verticaly. My slab isn't floating though. It has metal out riggers on each post that will be in the concrete. Is that ok
The reason for a floating slab is so the weight of the building isn't pushing down on the perimeter of a flat slab which will create a crack in the middle. If you have metal posts that go through the concrete say 4 feet down, the weight of the building will transfer the building weight to the solid ground below. A good precaution would be to make sure there is some leaway between the metal outriggers and the slab so both are free to "seek their own level" as the ground shifts. You can use foam or the expansion strips.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
maddy

Spray foam insulation will be better choice for roof and ceiling as you can get the desirable results in quick time. most of the time fiberglass material doesn't provide good strength to walls and that's why people have to look on spray method.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:33 AM   #12
mx842

If you don't mind seeing the truss system then spray the whole roof solid from the roof line to the peak, no ventilation. You can either install blocking in between the truss of just put a bit of batt insulation in the hole and cover it up with foam. Once the foam sets spray it white and forget about it. This system works great if you have several clear panels installed in the roof to let in additional free light.

The start of my pole barn build:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=92895
mx842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 02:38 PM   #13
yotehuntersd

I built a 24x28 garage last year. Stick built 16" oc side walls with purlins outside that and 24"oc rafters with purlins outside that. Screwed steel straight to the purlins on the walls and ceiling. Had it spray foamed 2" on sidewalls and ceiling straight on the metal. They sprayed over 3" on most of it. There is effectively 2" of foam surrounding every inch of concrete and sidewall and roof. Two of my sidewalls are 54" icf's. I have 1 overhead door its 9'x16'x2" thick
Things I learned and or would do differently.
1. I put 2" foam under my slab wish I would have put 4".
2. The spray foam will bow/buckle your steel at every purlin. Visible in decent sunlight. I am ok with it but picky people might not be. It does make the building solid as a rock once its sprayed.
3. I live in S Dakota and I have 10' ceilings, I think I should have sheeted the ceiling and foamed the attic side of the ceiling for the seal then blew in R-? however much more to insulate.
Overall I heated it to 45 deg with electric in floor heat for $150 last winter - also we had the warmest winter on record too.
yotehuntersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I used unfaced R30 batts, laying directly on the metal panels (20'x3' ceiling panels) in my pole barn, its about 50x95.
I haven't had any moisture issues and it keeps the barn comfortable.

Home Depot had the pink stuff on sale for about $10 a roll.
How far are your trusses spaced.
Did you add anything to fasten the panels to.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:10 PM   #15
Dave Maxwell

Here is a pic of the outriggers I mentioned that tie the building to the post
Old 07-15-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Dave Maxwell

Bobbie. Is there I pic with your post. My email showed there was a link. But post doesn't shoe one on my phone
Old 07-15-2012, 10:37 PM   #17
NUTTSGT
Super Moderator

Quote:
Bobbie. Is there I pic with your post. My email showed there was a link. But post doesn't shoe one on my phone
Dave, that user is a possible spammer. Every post they have made has that link but nothing shows below it. They have made 7 posts in 6 minutes. I've alerted one of the mods to check them out. I hate to be that way but we don't need crappy spammers here.

Too much is.... Just enough.

My garage refurb thread.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=75024

Are you military or prior military ? Please visit OUR thread and post your experience.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=64422

Take a look what your USA honorable service may have done for you.
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=100237
NUTTSGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #18
Dave Maxwell

Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #19
Drinkin-N-Thinkin

Quote:
Here is a pic of the outriggers I mentioned that tie the building to the post
Hmm...I was imagining the "outriggers" were actually the posts, but in metal. I'm not sure what purpose those were intended to serve or problem they are to prevent, but they would certainly tie the building to the posts preventing the slab from floating as the ground heaves. If it were me, I wouldn't use them, but would make sure my building is on a consistant footing. Are they only on the side of the building that is higher (I'm assuming a sloping lot)?
Old 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #20
cyamaha2007

^^^ I was told to be sure the slab can float in a pole barn. I wrapped the post with foam so the concrete can move and not push on the building.

Check out my 36wx56Lx14h pole barn build done the hard way http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=118655
cyamaha2007 is offline   Reply With Quote