Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2008, 04:57 PM   #21
blue302stang

Default Re: Best 3/4 or 1 ton used Diesel Pickup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red'n'WhiteRebel View Post
Any word on the 6.4 Ford yet. They'll be on the used market soon. Probably not enough time to get serious miles on them yet. Hopefully the guy that designed that front end has been fired. I'm a hardcore Ford guy but I shudder at the sight of an '08 Super Duty. Watts Automotive in Utah has a good site for used diesels, too bad it's so far from southern Ontario.
All the new diesels have their downfalls right now with all the new EGR,and DPF systems, so their is not much performance wise. They are all having problems with the DPF as well.
blue302stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 07:24 PM   #22
brianpgriset

A '96 Ram with all the features I want just went up for sale locally... It seems people like the 12V better. That is an old truck though. I'll have to take a look. Said it has all new upper and lower BJ's and some other new front end stuff....
brianpgriset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-26-2008, 07:40 PM   #23
Poltax

I have a 97 F250 CC SB Powerstroke. Its been the best ride I have ever owned. I bought it with 15,000 miles on it and it now has 266,000. I have only had to have 1 set of batteries, one set of glow plugs, 3 glowplug relays replaced on the truck. Change the oil every 5,000 miles. Its been a good ride. I am hoping it will last till 500,000. Body is like new. All miles have mostly been highway road miles. I pull a 27 ft enclosed snowmobile trailer in the winter. I have chipped the motor, I get 17-18 at 70mph, 15-16 at 80. Pulling my trailer I am at 12. Mind you I have 4.10 for rear end. If you get the higher gears your mileage will be better. You cant go wrong with the 7.3 powerstroke. I think its the best engine of the lot. I also think the 97's have been the best of all the years. If you can find one with low miles & its been taken care of it will last you for a long time.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:28 PM   #24
brianpgriset

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poltax View Post
I also think the 97's have been the best of all the years. If you can find one with low miles & its been taken care of it will last you for a long time.
That body style looks good too.

On a side note the guy is asking $14000... a bit high. But thats just what he's asking
Old 02-26-2008, 08:58 PM   #25
5wndwcpe

Diesel just hit $3.89 a gal. here. Look for the deals, they will be a comin'.

In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, a brave man, a hated man and scorned man. When his cause succeeds, however,the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
5wndwcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:06 PM   #26
kblazer87

I am a fan of the Duramax. I have a 4 door Chevy with the Allison. I did a lot of looking before I bought this one. It was used but I know the previous owner. Mileage is good and it has a +70/+140 hp tuner with exhaust and intake upgrades as well, so it is a lot of fun to drive when the tuner is switched on. If you want one of the GM trucks with a Duramax though you will have to look for awhile to find one with extra cab, Long bed and a manual. Most were built with the Allison unless special ordered or strictly a work truck.
kblazer87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:26 PM   #27
brianpgriset

Quote:
Originally Posted by kblazer87 View Post
If you want one of the GM trucks with a Duramax though you will have to look for awhile to find one with extra cab, Long bed and a manual. Most were built with the Allison unless special ordered or strictly a work truck.
That's what I'm finding with the Duramax's. Most of them are optioned out to the max, almost all have 4 door quad cab... At this point I'm pretty sure it's gonna be a Cummins.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:04 AM   #28
Abodyracer

My brother owns an 03 Duramax/Allison combo crew cab dually 4x4. He installed a Bully Dog Triple Dog downloader and their Outlook Monitor. In Oct he and I went to San Diego to move his daughter home. With a 23' open trailer (empty on the way out and loaded coming home) we averaged 23 mpg for the whole trip. The truck pulled 90% of the I-70 pass in Colorado in 5th gear at 65 mph both directions. It only downshifted to 4th on 6% and steeper grades.

A professional mechanic freind of ours, who happens to be pro Powerstroke to the core is very impressed with my brothers Max and says it will run circles around his Powerstroke. The first words out of his mouth on his first ride after we installed the downloader were "Mother Frucker, This thing hauls ass"

Last edited by Abodyracer; 02-27-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Abodyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:11 PM   #29
kvom

I own a '02 F350 Powerstroke, which has been quite a good truck for me. I have a DP-Tuner chip that makes it drive like a car, but also gives good towing power as well.

Most people say to avoid the early '99s (major engine changes last half of 99 model year. There has also been a recall for the cam position sensor, a part that was problematic (easy fix at dealership or $25 part for DIY).

Vast majority of these trucks have auto transmission, but stickshakers can be found.
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 08:30 PM   #30
blue302stang

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvom View Post
I have a DP-Tuner chip that makes it drive like a car, but also gives good towing power as well.
DP as Diesel Performance. If so i am good friends with everyone up at the shop, and David Lott(owner) is running that shop into the ground
Old 02-28-2008, 09:01 PM   #31
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

what goes up , must come DOWN !!!!
duramax owners I see have a hard time taking care of the truck , I had one clown with 70k on the original air filter , plugging up the egr cooler tube , GM says a new fuel filter every 15k , they even had a recall for free fuel filters as crappy fuel cloggs up the sophisticated electronic pulse width modulated injectors
duramaxes are very hard to work on , which gives that cummins tractor engine in mopar a big advantage
6.0 ford had way more injector problems than anybody , are the hardest to work on without full cab removal , and long head bolts that stretch and blow head gaskets
good luck , I highly recommend Gas Engines !!!!!!!!!!!!
SpiderGearsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:06 PM   #32
blue302stang

The only real hard part about the duramax is the up-pipes. They are sandwiched between the firewall and the motor and the exhaust manifold bolts are hard to get too.

I never was a fan of the torque to yield bolts that international used on the 6.0, but head studs fix that problem just got yank the cab.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:33 PM   #33
Deafautotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderGearsMan View Post
which gives that cummins tractor engine in mopar a big advantage
I highly recommend Gas Engines !!!!!!!!!!!!
Cummin ROCK!!! i did work on Cummin Diesel engine as oil changes, replaced the turbocharger because the exhaust impeller was broke and all engine oil come out of exhaust pipe... it took me to fix it for one hour... it is easy and simple thing to work on cummin diesel... i dont see any problems with head gaskets... but my master tech (part time) told me that once time he found valve spring broke and almost fall down in cylinder while he check the valves (while engine are not running...) because customer said it is run like rough after lot and lot of miles like over 100,000 miles.... that customer used it as work truck... master tech said cummin use 15 head bolts and 150 ft lbs to torque all head bolts then it is done...
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:20 PM   #34
5wndwcpe

Brian,
Head over to http://www.Moparts.com and register. Login in and do a search in the General forum under F-350 within the past month. This isn't a Dodge is great/Ford sucks bash, but rather a discussion by more than one Ford tech/service writer with their first hand experience.

In the beginning, the Patriot is a scarce man, a brave man, a hated man and scorned man. When his cause succeeds, however,the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot.
5wndwcpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:59 PM   #35
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

if you buy a dodge , you will find they do little very well , haha , good truck if it was 1979
trucks don't age well
I would prefer new
Old 02-29-2008, 05:10 PM   #36
kvom

Quote:
DP as Diesel Performance. If so i am good friends with everyone up at the shop, and David Lott(owner) is running that shop into the ground
No! The name of the company is DP-Tuner; Jody and Dianne are the owners; located in NE Georgia.
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:45 PM   #37
sixty4

I owned an 03 Ford that was the last year of the 7.3. International who made the 7.3's for Ford had some kind of issue with each other. If I were to purchase another Diesel I would not! The following reasons:
1) Try and find a good mechanic that won't rake you.
2) The cost is higher than gas at this point and if you live in a suburb its sometimes hard to find a place that sells diesel.
3) Unless you plan to tow or keep your truck for well over 100K it does not pay.
4) Plug your truck in every night in the winter?
5) It stinks (and is loud) if you live close to your nieghbors when it lights off @ 5:30 in the AM.
Other than that go for it!
Oh and this is all just my 2 cents, but this has what I have expirienced.......
sixty4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:26 PM   #38
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

international still makes ford's diesel - poorly
Old 02-29-2008, 07:39 PM   #39
mrsleeve
Banned

navi-star makes ford engines poorly.
mrsleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 07:51 PM   #40
SpiderGearsMan
Banned

all the same , now own the GM medium duty line