Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-25-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
kvom

Question Snap-On IM51

I just bought a used SP 1/2" impact on eBay. Hopefully it will be stronger than my puny Northern Tool impact, which barely gets to 90 ft-lbs on a good day.

Anyone familiar with this model?
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
Deafautotech

Default Re: Snap-On IM51

you mean IM5100????? or you talk about IM31??

I own Im5100 (i paid 50 dollars from my snap on guy) and i had no problem as it is my general use but it is worn out impact wrench... also i own IM31 (i like it as it is basic and simple impact wrench (good as up to 150 ft lbs) and i own 2 MG31 as i love MG31 because i can pull transmission out or replace the engine with it.... no problems with MG31 (it is rated to 300 ft lbs!!!!)
Deafautotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 02-25-2008, 08:21 PM   #3
kbbrett

The IM 51 preceeded the 5100. It is a fine gun, not sure on the specs. I have a long shank version that I like.
kbbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:29 PM   #4
Merkava_4
Banned

I'm looking at it in my catalog. The IM51 has a working torque of 50-320 lb.ft. with a max torque of 475 lb.

They show the picture of a IM510. If the IM51 is anything like the IM510; then it's a sweet gun.
Merkava_4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
kvom

I got the gun yesterday and fired it up today. There is an adjustable knurled knib around the trigger that apparently adjusts the force, but it seems to work only when turned fully clockwise.

In any case I tried it out on one of the lugnuts on my Jeep. Wouldn't budge it (torques to 100 ft-lbs). I'm pi$$ed. When I walk over to my compressor I see the regulator is set to 40psi. Cranked it back up to 90, and no problems.

Now I need to see if the problem with the cheap wrench was also due to lack of air pressure.
kvom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #6
SteveU

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvom View Post
I got the gun yesterday and fired it up today. There is an adjustable knurled knib around the trigger that apparently adjusts the force, but it seems to work only when turned fully clockwise.

In any case I tried it out on one of the lugnuts on my Jeep. Wouldn't budge it (torques to 100 ft-lbs). I'm pi$$ed. When I walk over to my compressor I see the regulator is set to 40psi. Cranked it back up to 90, and no problems.

Now I need to see if the problem with the cheap wrench was also due to lack of air pressure.
My cheap generic chinese impact won't take off tight lug nuts even with the regulator set at 120 psi & using type V HVLP fittings, the Nitrocat spins them off no problem at 90 psi so the better impact definitly makes a difference. It is the one that states "up to 250 ft lbs" torque and has to hammer on nuts torqued to 100 lbs with a torque wrench for over a second. If you have the same model you are way ahead of that with about any real gun. Maybe the same people that came up with the 6.5 hp shop vac that runs off 110 v measured the torque rating of this model
SteveU is offline   Reply With Quote