Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-12-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
willyk57

Default Are Craftsman File and Tool Handles Still Available?

Are Craftsman File and Tool Handles Still Available?

I have been helping to clean out my grandfather's house and workshop for the last few months. It has been a treasure hunt with a lot of hunting and a little treasure. My grandfather is from the generation and social class that saved EVERYTHING! The best example was the shoe box full of rattle can lids.

My grandfather was also a faithful Craftsman handyman, if Craftsman made one, there was no reason to buy it anywhere else. Most of the tool that I have gotten from his workshop have not been out of the ordinary, a few beat up screwdrivers, a circular saw, and two very nice hand saws.

The items that I have been most interested in are the file handles that he had. I haven't seen any thing like them but they work well and I really like them. As far as I can tell, Sears is no longer selling anything like this, but are any company still making something like this? Has anybody every seen any thing like this recently?

The handles will accept a very wide range of file sizes and tang shapes as well as old square taper bits.

Any information is welcome.

Best,
willyk57
willyk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:36 AM   #2
Mickey O

Default Re: Are Craftsman File and Tool Handles Still Available?

General tools has one:

http://www.amazon.com/General-Tools-.../dp/B00004T7TG

Cheap tools are for chumps.

...the wealthy can currently “accumulate many millions of dollars in these accounts, substantially more than is needed to fund reasonable levels of retirement saving.”
Mickey O is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
RedFordTruck

Check Epsteins. I remember people posting pics of their order with file handles in them.
RedFordTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #4
bluechevy94

I don't know about craftsman but I do believe there is a company that makes tool handles similar to those.If I remember right Lee valley sells them.

My grandmother passed away 3 weeks ago.I am going to the old home place the first of August to help go through stuff.Her and my grandfather were the same way.They saved everything.I will be going through the stuff in my grandfathers old barn.I know for a fact he had a bunch of old tools and its no telling what else we will find.
bluechevy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:43 AM   #5
beerdog

You should be able to use handles from numerous companies. Don't throw those out. They look old.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
JWC07

I can sympathize. My dad's got cancer and me and my wife live with him. He is from that generation. my sister and niece came over to help my wife clean out some stuff in the 2 basement closets just to open up some space. Their treasure hunt yielded multiple random collections including a big black trash bag full of old egg cartons... Reckon he considered getting chickens and selling eggs at some point, idk.
JWC07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:55 AM   #7
toolchaser

The handle Mickey O posted was also made with a craftsman logo. The older ones were wood, later some kind of durable synthetic material
toolchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:53 AM   #8
willyk57

Thanks for all of the responses. I will probably be placing an order in to General Tool for at least one more handle... and a few other items. Once again GJ has cost an unsuspecting addict more of there hard earned money. I have no complaints though.

I will keep everyone posted if I come across any other interesting items when the workbench is moved latter in the fall.

Thanks again,
willyk57
willyk57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #9
sselander

Nice to see a patent number on something.
It is pretty cool to look it up.

The patent number dates to 1949
Robert L Yoke Jr from Portland, Oregon

Patent 2479661
www.google.com/patents/US2479661
sselander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM   #10
tawhite

Those are Speed Corp handles. Here's an EBAY auction of vintage ones at a very good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-USA-Ma...item2572d40e9e

The link to the wooden handle has been posted above and you can get them with plastic handles from McMaster Carr (Item#4255A12 on Page 2624).

They have a "chuck" similar to those on universal brace and bits that can grip a round, square, or hex shaft. Very useful to have one or two of them in the shop.

taw
tawhite is offline   Reply With Quote