Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-15-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
PeterN

Default Garage door not going up straight

I've got a large aluminum garage door on my pole shed that is 14' wide and 10' high that lately has started to bind up when moving it. For some reason the door appears crooked in the tracks with the upper left corner tight to the rails (upper right loose). When I try to move it up from the fully closed position, the garage door is rubbing on the rail on the left side. I haven't done anything to the door to create the problem. Why would the door start to be crooked in the rails after 10 years of use? Thanks.

Pete
PeterN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
Gary S

Default Re: Garage door not going up straight

Carefully inspect your springs. If one is broken or misadjusted, they pull unevenly on the door and force it sideways.
Gary S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #3
Cougar

Don't try adjusting your springs, they're under a lot of tension.
Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #4
AndyL

Springs don't affect level... Cables do...

Chances are - if you have a good look - one of the cables has become damaged/worn - or has hopped off it's correct position on the drum...

Edit - other option is the bearings just outside the drum - I have seen it before where they fail, with minimal obvious signs - other than the door being crooked (as suddenly the shafts dropped 3/4" on that side...)

In other words, pull out your ladder, get up there and give it a good look Post pictures if you're not seeing an obvious issue.

It's rare but it could occur - that a drum has slipped as well, the set screws do back off over time, part of the reason for recommended annual maintenance...

Last edited by AndyL; 07-15-2012 at 12:56 PM.
AndyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:01 PM   #5
Ryf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
Carefully inspect your springs. If one is broken or misadjusted, they pull unevenly on the door and force it sideways.
this!

to work on mine, I raise the door so its under less/no tension then you make sure neither looks stretched.. I had a spring last year that must of gotten in a fight with a shovel or something, lol, I replaced both and back to working order.

a simple test would be to weigh each side of the door on a bathroom scale, under full weight they should be close to the same on both sides, if not your due for an adjusting. this is done with springs attached to we are weighing its downward force of gravity, not physical weight!
Ryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 01:16 PM   #6
RollUpDoor

Another thing to check. If this is a commercial door, and has two shafts with a center coupler. A key may have come out of it. Check floor around the door and hope you didnt sweep it up.
RollUpDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
PeterN

I'll check some of these things over. I'd been having some issues with uneven tension on the cables but it was working well for a long time. It's amazing how heavy the door is without the cables and springs helping lift the door. I may have to start over with the adjustment of the door, cables and springs to get this to work properly again.
PeterN is offline   Reply With Quote