Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Free Parking

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-23-2012, 01:00 PM   #1
James E

Default Colorado shooting related story

Here's a story about a guy who helped a young mother with her two children in the theater shooting. He and the mother both got shot but made it. I applaud him.

http://news.yahoo.com/dark-knight-ri...es.html?_esi=1

What they don't go into with the story is the fact that the woman's fiancee turned tail and ran and left her in the theater with the kids.

Reminds me of the tale of Brave Sir Robin:

"Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge..."

James E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
joeswamp

Default Re: Colorado shooting related story

Reminds me of this:

http://youtu.be/URvMd-pjSMc
joeswamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-23-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
oldgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by James E View Post
Here's a story about a guy who helped a young mother with her two children in the theater shooting. He and the mother both got shot but made it. I applaud him.

What they don't go into with the story is the fact that the woman's fiancee turned tail and ran and left her in the theater with the kids.

Well they did have the little comment that she was at the movie with her fiancee but that was as far as it went. Yeah I would hope that he is her former fiancee. However I would also guess that most would hope that they would stay and do whatever it took to help, but nobody knows until it actually happens. I would have a hard time living with myself knowing that I didn't stay to help my family.
oldgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
James E

Nope, nobody knows how they will react but if I am ever in a life-threatening situation and I run away and leave my wife and kids to die, I give you all permission to make fun of me as much as you want.

When you hear him blubber through his interview, it's full of rationalizations and nonsense. He's morally weak and I feel sorry for her and the kids.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #5
ddawg16

Here in lies one of the traits that seperate the sheep from the sheep dogs....

"The dream is free but the hustle is sold separately."

In Progress...2-Story Addition link
2-Story Garage Complete My Garage Build Link
Home for.....
84 CJ7 - With a 'few' modifications.. My Jeep Build Link
And my wife's art Studio...
and 3 kids with more energy than we have...
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:39 PM   #6
Joe B.

So I was on vacation without TV or internet and just got back today so I'm confused. My understanding wast that this was a midnight showing. So this lady had an infant at a midnight showing of a movie? I'm glad she is Ok but I don't think she is qualified to be a parent if my understanding is correct.
Joe B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
oldgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawg16 View Post
Here in lies one of the traits that seperate the sheep from the sheep dogs....

Oh please let's don't get started on the BS sheepdog thing again.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
oldgoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B. View Post
So I was on vacation without TV or internet and just got back today so I'm confused. My understanding wast that this was a midnight showing. So this lady had an infant at a midnight showing of a movie? I'm glad she is Ok but I don't think she is qualified to be a parent if my understanding is correct.
I don't think it disqualifies anybody by going to the midnight showing. Many families bring their kids of all ages to late shows. It's the summer, no school, they can sleep in. Not that big a deal normally.
Old 07-23-2012, 03:25 PM   #9
28HopUp

Send a message via AIM to 28HopUp

Here is the ABC story which quotes the guy in his own words...

http://abcnews.go.com/US/couple-colo...ry?id=16821447
28HopUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:39 PM   #10
zacker01

man, i cant imagine what Id do in that situation... run, hide, play dead, thats crazy stuff... I often wonder, at times like these.. if the terrorists from other countries look at this stuff and think we are just plain crazy.. I mean, in their minds, they have a reason, an agenda, but what are they thinking about ANOTHER crazy American just randomly shooting up a theater or school just because?
zacker01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #11
ChrisF250

Don't want to start a new thread but for those with twitter, Check this out. Kevin Garnett is class act, one in few these days.

https://twitter.com/realkg5/status/227154064687890432

Edit; looks like it ended, 65k

Last edited by ChrisF250; 07-23-2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: New info
ChrisF250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:11 PM   #12
johno

Quote:

Reminds me of the tale of Brave Sir Robin:

"Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Bravely ran away, away!
When danger reared its ugly head,
He bravely turned his tail and fled.
Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
And gallantly he chickened out.
Bravely taking to his feet
He beat a very brave retreat,
Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

He is packing it in and packing it up
And sneaking away and buggering up
And chickening out and pissing off home,
Yes, bravely he is throwing in the sponge..."

I didn't, i never.... love that part.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
Trucky

Until you get shot at by someone who intends to maim/kill you, you do not know how you will react. Call me an ass, but even with training, it's rediculous to think that you'll automatically go into HERO MODE and do the stuff you see in the movies.
Trucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:17 PM   #14
richfinn

Quote:
This is what struck me, in the UK movies are certified by the censors. Why would they let babies and infants into a noisy violent movie at midnight??
richfinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #15
signcrafter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky View Post
Until you get shot at by someone who intends to maim/kill you, you do not know how you will react. Call me an ass, but even with training, it's rediculous to think that you'll automatically go into HERO MODE and do the stuff you see in the movies.
I understand what you're saying but when it comes to your kids the natural reaction of a parent(at least one worth being a parent) is to put your kids life before yours.
signcrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #16
James E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucky View Post
It's not hero mode to protect your wife and kids--or at least stick around long enough to make sure they make it out ok. That's what a good Dad does for a baby--he holds onto you until you're out of danger. He doesn't drop you on the floor and run like a scalded cat and leave his wounded woman to get them out alive with the help of some random stranger.

Like I said, when it hits the fan I may run like a dog, too. But if I do, don't make pansy-a$$ed excuses for me. Just call me a chicken and I'll just have to accept it.

Once again, despicable behavior that's black and white is being justified by some members who only see in shades of gray. It's this kind of moral relativism that is the problem with society today. The guy literally put his baby down and ran. If anyone thinks that's justified in any way by any circumstances, then I'm glad that person is not my Dad--because not only is that person morally lacking, but he's passing on to his kids that kind of defeatist, cowardly mentality.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #17
csp

Quote:
I'm glad she is Ok but I don't think she is qualified to be a parent if my understanding is correct.
Unfortunately there is no test you have to pass in order to become a parent.
csp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #18
oldgoat

Quote:
It's not hero mode to protect your wife and kids--or at least stick around long enough to make sure they make it out ok. That's what a good Dad does for a baby--he holds onto you until you're out of danger. He doesn't drop you on the floor and run like a scalded cat and leave his wounded woman to get them out alive with the help of some random stranger.

Like I said, when it hits the fan I may run like a dog, too. But if I do, don't make pansy-a$$ed excuses for me. Just call me a chicken and I'll just have to accept it.

Once again, despicable behavior that's black and white is being justified by some members who only see in shades of gray. It's this kind of moral relativism that is the problem with society today. The guy literally put his baby down and ran. If anyone thinks that's justified in any way by any circumstances, then I'm glad that person is not my Dad--because not only is that person morally lacking, but he's passing on to his kids that kind of defeatist, cowardly mentality.
Actually that was the couple that I saw on TV and he was bawling about how terrible it was and then they said that he had asked her to marry him and she had accepted.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #19
carhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
Actually that was the couple that I saw on TV and he was bawling about how terrible it was and then they said that he had asked her to marry him and she had accepted.
Wasn't that Sandra Bullock's line in Speed?

..."I'd like to think this will last, but statistically relationships formed under stress don't last..."

carhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #20
cdseven95

Quote:
Originally Posted by richfinn View Post
This is what struck me, in the UK movies are certified by the censors. Why would they let babies and infants into a noisy violent movie at midnight??
It is PG-13.. Under 13 needs to go in with either a parent or guardian. A infant will not understand/ remember the movie.. The issue is more of its selfish to bring a infant (that's going to cry/make noise) to a loud movie because of the fact its annoying to everyone else. But the child was there, wrong or right, its a sad story
cdseven95 is offline   Reply With Quote