Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-05-2008, 10:53 AM   #1
blaze_125

Default Hans Hougaard lifts?

I have someone local selling a Hans Hougaard lift. I Googled it, Yahooed it and I can't find anything about the company. I did find some of their lifts for sale on some auction type sites, but I couldn't find any Official Hans Hougaard site.

Does anyone know about them?
The lift I'm looking at is about 20 years old. What should I lookout for when I inspect it? The guys says the motor is brand new and still in its box. It's a 2 posts "screw type" hoist.
blaze_125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #2
Matti

Default Re: Hans Hougaard lifts?

They could be out of business?
Matti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-06-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
blaze_125

Well, the lift is really old, so that's probably it. Or another company could have bought them. I was hoping someone would have delt with them before...

What should I look for when I inspect the lift?
Old 03-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #4
2low

screw type are really good for there age to me there safer then hydrulic. only thing i would look at is the motor make sure its not 220v 3 phase alot of screw type are
2low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 08:44 AM   #5
mike944

if the motor is "new in the box" that means the lift might currently have a 3-ph motor, and the guy got a single-phase motor to replace it, but never hooked it up. Therefore, that motor might not fit. Either that, or he had a single-phase motor on it, and the 3-phase motor is "new in the box"

Regardless, just check the motor out, keeping in mind that the motor it comes with might not be the proper motor, and may require some fab'ing to fit.

'92 Porsche 968
'01 VW Jetta TDi
mike944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
blaze_125

Here's the description in his ad.

Quote:
Hans Hougaard 7000lb screw type 2 post car hoist, made in 1985, lifts 6ft, was 600v, have brand new 240v motor still in wrapping, controls, & drive pulleys to install. Bolts down right on the cement. Motor was $600 alone
Old 03-06-2008, 10:34 AM   #7
PxTx

If it is a screw type lift, how would you be able to use a single phase motor? The key to the three phse is that you can spin the motor in both directions by switching legs. You'll need to keep the three phase motor and use a drive to convert single phase to 3 phase.

Funny thing, is that the lift is no longer supported by anyone- yet more people are concerned about availability of the asian lift parts which are currently supported by the manufactuers and distributors still in business.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:45 AM   #8
sneezer41

there are reversible single phase motors. As long as it has safety catches, I would not be worried. Even if it is 3 phase, frequency drive converters are pretty affordable, and then you would have a variable speed lift!
sneezer41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:37 AM   #9
blaze_125

Quote:
Originally Posted by PxTx View Post
Funny thing, is that the lift is no longer supported by anyone- yet more people are concerned about availability of the asian lift parts which are currently supported by the manufactuers and distributors still in business.
I'm more concerned about my own safety than parts availability.
I might be able to get the thing for about 500$, so I'm seriously considering it...
Old 09-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #10
NEXT35

I realize this is an older posting; but, I have a similar Hoist with issues/lift nut problems and would welcome any information you either learned thorugh this medium or other.
blaze 125 are you still out there?
NEXT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #11
JSK

Blaze,

Screw lifts were all the ....blaze…..back in the late 60's thru 80's. Eventually Americans figured out that hydraulics were the way to go. Even Europe who had always adopted screw lifts as the primary standard are abandoning them all together.

The reason – they are very, very expensive to repair. In addition to the cost of electrical motors and switches, the bronze lifting nuts which do wear out can cost upwards of $1200.00 to replace. (If the screw system is a low-friction, re-circulating, ball-screw type, then much better and more durable).

You are the one who has to weigh your options. If you only plan to use the lift once a month, then maybe throwback lift is a good value. But if you plan to use it regularly, I would be cautious.
JSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
NEXT35

Thanks for your response. I have had this lift (same as describded by blaze 125 03/06/08) for several years & it works. It will not start under load. The electrics check out fine but the lift nuts are worn and they bind. I can start it with a manual assist. What I need is a machine shop who will make me new lift nuts or perhaps a unit not in use as a parts source?
NEXT35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:40 AM   #13
JSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXT35 View Post
Thanks for your response. I have had this lift (same as describded by blaze 125 03/06/08) for several years & it works. It will not start under load. The electrics check out fine but the lift nuts are worn and they bind. I can start it with a manual assist. What I need is a machine shop who will make me new lift nuts or perhaps a unit not in use as a parts source?

SVI International is the auto lift industry's leading supplier of parts for vintage or new models - all brands. You should check out their website or give them a ring. Maybe they can steer you in the right direction.

Good luck!
JSK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #14
katie123

I called SVI international and they do not have any parts for the Hans Hougaard lifts. does anyone know were to get parts for these hoists. I need the lift nuts also mine would work is there was no load but when you put a car on the hoist you had to give it some assist by hand to get it to spin. Help Please.
katie123 is offline   Reply With Quote