Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-26-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
SuzukiGS750EZ

Thumbs up Tekton Tools

Hey guys. Bought a set of picks from Tekton a while back and broke one on a VW the other day. I remember somebody from tekton replying to a post on here telling me if i need any help or warranty stuff to email them. So i looked up my old thread and emailed dave at tekton tools. He said he would send one (or the set, he said "Ill get some sent out to you". Anyways, just figured i'd put this thread up and let you guys know how the warranty process turns out. I also got a 9 piece set of wobble/standard extention combo extensions and i love em. Anybody else deal with or buy tekton? I have a lot of name brand stuff but some of the tekton deals you can't beat for lesser used items.
SuzukiGS750EZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #2
Hootbro

Default Re: Tekton Tools

There stuff is "OK" but not professional by any means. Michigan Industrial Tool is the importer of this line of tools with most of it Chinese and maybe a smattering of Taiwan stuff. It is all made under contract for the Tekton name as I do not believe they actually own any manufacturing capacity. In other words, other people make their stuff.

That being said, I have bought about a handful of Texton branded items. One was their 16 piece metric "MaxTorque" wrench set, a pair of long reach diagonal cutters and a pair of slip joint pliers.

The wrench and diagonal cutter are of decent quality but I would not press them into professional service as my primary tools.

The slip-joint pliers I bought from Amazon to round out an order for free shipping and to throw in my tackle box. The nut for the actual slip joint part was not staked properly and spun off. I left an honest review of it on Amazon and was immediately contacted by a rep from MIT/TEKTON about sending me a warranty replacement. They sent the replacement with a few little trinket keychain LED lights for the trouble and told me to just scrap the bad one.

I think MIT is serious about trying to make it a decent value brand and seems to be addressing any quality issues quite quickly. Their tool line also seems to be evolving to better quality stuff but many of it still is yet to be determined.
Hootbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Dave.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzukiGS750EZ View Post
Hey guys. Bought a set of picks from Tekton a while back and broke one on a VW the other day. I remember somebody from tekton replying to a post on here telling me if i need any help or warranty stuff to email them. So i looked up my old thread and emailed dave at tekton tools. He said he would send one (or the set, he said "Ill get some sent out to you". Anyways, just figured i'd put this thread up and let you guys know how the warranty process turns out. I also got a 9 piece set of wobble/standard extention combo extensions and i love em. Anybody else deal with or buy tekton? I have a lot of name brand stuff but some of the tekton deals you can't beat for lesser used items.
Went out that day, I'm really glad you got a hold of me I like to be a resource to you guys when I can. Let me know what you think when you get your package!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
I think MIT is serious about trying to make it a decent value brand and seems to be addressing any quality issues quite quickly. Their tool line also seems to be evolving to better quality stuff but many of it still is yet to be determined.
Its hard to always hit the nail right on the head, but customer service is our top priority. We are constantly looking for ways to innovate and change to benefit our customer. Being a guy that was into Tools before working here, I can honestly say that we are headed in a great direction.

Thanks Guys
Dave.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #4
SuzukiGS750EZ

Yeah the replacements got to me in a timely fashion and they'll be in my box
When I get into work tomorrow. I think tekton has a great value to me within the tools I don't use and abuse often or ever. The swivels, picks and bit set I've
Gotten have all held up. I constantly use the bitset and although the driver in the set isn't the best, my Bosch electric driver and craftsman ratchet screwdriver fill that role fine. Thanks for the great customer service.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
beerdog

Texton is the stuff you see many guys selling at flea markets. no bette ror worse than HF, walmart, or any other chineese stuff.
beerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 08:09 AM   #6
allinon72

I guess it's good that you were able to get a resolution....but I'd rather just get a Pratt Reed or Mayhew pick set and not have to worry about warrantying them all the time.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
Hootbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
I guess it's good that you were able to get a resolution....but I'd rather just get a Pratt Reed or Mayhew pick set and not have to worry about warrantying them all the time.
That's nice but the OP does not state it is a reoccurring them of his picks breaking.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:26 AM   #8
allinon72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootbro View Post
That's nice but the OP does not state it is a reoccurring them of his picks breaking.
Well it will be a reoccurring problem if cheap pick sets continue to be used
Old 08-02-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
lennoxlennox
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerdog View Post
Texton is the stuff you see many guys selling at flea markets. no bette ror worse than HF, walmart, or any other chineese stuff.
well i'd be the last person defending HF

but i'd have to say this shite is some of the worst out there, you find it all the time in the bargain bins at the likes of o'reilly's - it seems comparable to the great neck or whatever it's called

HF is definitely better than this junk
lennoxlennox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Hootbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Well it will be a reoccurring problem if cheap pick sets continue to be used
OK, I get it, your speculating an assumption to make a point.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
BrokewrenchLS1

I've got some Tekton 1/2" drive impact extensions I've beat the shit out of and they're holding up fine (actually, better than the Craftsman ones here at work that see exponentially less use).
BrokewrenchLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #12
Bob C

Our store sells alot of Tekton stuff. We have been selling MIT stuff way back when Atella Amash ran things there.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:02 PM   #13
maddawg308
Banned

Tekton is better known by their street name, Snap-Off.
maddawg308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:10 AM   #14
SuzukiGS750EZ

I buy tools I won't use much or won't abuse too hard from tekton. What tey are to me is affordable useable tools. It was somewhat my fault that it broke but I wasn't doing anything I wouldn't have done with a snapon pick. The metal is brittle which was the problem but this is the first time I've broken one. Well see how the new ones hold up, I got sent the soft grips so.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
bcradio

Dave from Tekton:

I have a special request. Can you make your metric crows foot set continuous from 10mm to 19mm instead of skipping many important sizes and adding ones i'll never use? The crows feet wrenches are the only Tekton tools I own, but would like more of the commonly used sizes included in there.
bcradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:10 AM   #16
thejudges69

I have MIT 1/2 drive impact sockets I have beat on these with hammers, impacts ans whatever else you could imagine and have yet even wear them out. I have had zero warranty pieces sent back. I'm sorry but mine are over 10 years old and are still going strong. I recently bought a set of 1/2" shallow impact sockets, standard and metric, nice sockets and even tho I have not used them yet I know I will not have any problems. I contacted dave regarding a gap in the metric sets and he sent me out the 16mm socket he had. His response time is second to none and I had the socket in a few days.

Furthermore these compared to my brothers snapon impacts sockets is night and day. His are rounded inside from to much hammering from impacts. I've said it before and I'll stand by it, most people aren't happy unless the tools come off a truck, if Tekton was a division of a tool truck brand it would be a popular brand and as far as them not being a "professional tool" I would disagree, I know a lot of guys making a living with tools that didn't come off a truck and tools such as this, sometimes its not the tool but the user.

Last edited by thejudges69; 08-05-2012 at 02:11 AM. Reason: because my phone dont like my thumbs
thejudges69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 03:09 AM   #17
joshmodelskidoo

i have some mit impact sockets myself and had them for probably 10 yrs and no issues
joshmodelskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #18
Bob C

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejudges69 View Post
I've said it before and I'll stand by it, most people aren't happy unless the tools come off a truck, if Tekton was a division of a tool truck brand it would be a popular brand and as far as them not being a "professional tool" I would disagree, I know a lot of guys making a living with tools that didn't come off a truck and tools such as this, sometimes its not the tool but the user.
I agree with this. Tekton (MIT) imports various qualities of their tools. They have some super cheap stuff for those who don't want to spend a dollar as well as the better stuff. We stock the 14 Piece combo wrench sets. They hang on the wall next to the Wright USA made wrenches and above some of the super cheap wrenches. I always show my customers all three sets. 90% of them choose the Tekton set.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:30 AM   #19
Dave.R

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcradio View Post
Dave from Tekton:

I have a special request. Can you make your metric crows foot set continuous from 10mm to 19mm instead of skipping many important sizes and adding ones i'll never use? The crows feet wrenches are the only Tekton tools I own, but would like more of the commonly used sizes included in there.
This is something we are actually looking into currently, I can shoot you a message when I know anything.
Dave.R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:57 AM   #20
angzt

Just bought the SAE 8 pc Stubby Combo Wrench Set . $18 free ship on eBay.

I used them at work recently for the first time, they got greasy, so I used some isopropyl alcohol to clean them up, that's when I noticed some of the chrome rubbing off... haha. Overall they worked fine, the accuracy of the wrenches was alright and had no slips. But, just don't try to clean them, ever! The chrome job is definitely on the cheap side and comparable to any other Taiwan tools.

Dave, one great thing about Snap-on or any of these large tool companies, is that they reach out to the community and it's quite easy for a mechanic to find a representative if they have problems. Even if it's a phone number on the packaging. Just something so people don't have to go searching for answers.
angzt is offline   Reply With Quote