Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #1
Jason280

Default Mechanics...Checking codes on '91 Mazda truck?

My hunting truck is a '91 Mazda B2600i 4x4, and I have had the truck since '97. Its been a very good truck, and has recently passed 220k miles. I don't drive the truck that often, and probably put less than 3k miles on it every year (likely closer to 1-2k miles). The check engine light has been on for quite some time, at least 3 or four years, but I have pretty much ignored it as the truck has been running great. Well, it still runs pretty good, except the gas mileage has gotten worse. I can remember that I used to get 200+ miles from a tank of gas, but now its down below 150 miles. Before I get too involved in troubleshooting, I would like to check the codes. Of course, this is is before ODBII, so I need to find the test light hook up. Any ideas on how I would go about running the codes on this truck?
Jason280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #2
Canadian Cowboy

Default Re: Mechanics...Checking codes on '91 Mazda truck?

Here is the procedure to check your DTCs in your ECM memory.
You may very well have a O2 sensor gone bad since you did say your fuel mileage has decreased.

CC

Diagnostic Trouble Codes - 1991
Mazda

1 Ignition Pulse.
8 Air Flow Meter.
9 Water Thermo Sensor.
10 Intake Air Thermo Sensor (Air Flow Meter).
12 Throttle Sensor.
14 Atmospheric Pressure Sensor.
15 Oxygen Sensor.
17 Feedback System.
25 Solenoid Valve (PRC).
26 Solenoid Valve (Purge Control) .
28 Solenoid Valve (EGR).
34 Idle Speed Control Valve (ISC).
NOTE: This method may only be applicable to systems with a test connector and a Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL) or check engine light.
  1. Warm engine to operating temperature and turn ignition "OFF."
  2. Ground the test connector (1 pin wire) with a jumper wire. NOTE: Test connector is located next to the check connector in the engine compartment near the left side strut tower.
  3. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
  4. If MIL illuminates, goes off, and stays off no codes are present.
  5. If MIL illuminates, goes off, and then starts flashing, codes are present.
  6. Count the flashes to determine the fault code.
Canadian Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #3
The Slurpee King

I have a 1993 version of the same truck. Will the connectors be found in the same location? And will your chart apply to Canadian-spec trucks, too? I had a quick look under my hood but didn't immediately see anything. Are these related to the CEL plugs under the dash that you need to swap back and forth according to some mileage-and-emissions-inspection routine?

Borderline psychopath exhibiting hermit-like tendencies.

It's not who you know, it's who you tow.
The Slurpee King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
Canadian Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slurpee King View Post
I have a 1993 version of the same truck. Will the connectors be found in the same location? And will your chart apply to Canadian-spec trucks, too? I had a quick look under my hood but didn't immediately see anything. Are these related to the CEL plugs under the dash that you need to swap back and forth according to some mileage-and-emissions-inspection routine?
Here is the info on your 93 US 50 state/CAN the same.

Mazda four cylinder engine error codes 1989-1994 After the engine has been operated and the key subsequently shut off, it is not necessary to restart the engine to retrieve the error codes. This is true as long as the storage battery has remained connected to the truck.
Make sure the ignition is in the "off" position. On the drivers side under the hood, on the MPV at the junction of the grill and fender there should be located a single wire as part of a small bundle of connectors. On the pickup the connector is near the firewall on the passengers side. The singe wire will have a single green connector. This wire/connector should be connected to the chassis of the truck to allow the ecm to flash the error codes.
Get in the drivers seat and turn the key to the "on" position. The check engine light should come on for a few seconds and then go out. If there are any error codes stored, the light will start displaying the codes at this time. A long flash will be for a "10" short flash for "1", eg. code "25" will be two long followed by five short flashes. The ecm will continue to flash until all codes are displayed and then start the sequence again.

Code Pattern viewed Sensor or Subsystem Comments
01 Ignition .
03 G signal, Dual cylinder Injection .
08 Mass airflow sensor .
09 Water thermosensor .
11 Thermal - Intake air dynamic chamber .
12 Throttle position sensor .
14 Atmospheric pressure sensor Located on ecm circuit board.
15 Oxygen sensor .
17 Internal ecm feedback system Located on ecm circuit board.
25 Pressure regulator solenoid valve .
26 Purge control solnoid valve .
34 Idle - air control valve

RETRIEVING CODES
Trouble Code Access
1.Engine must be at normal operating temperature. Using jumper wire, ground Green, 1-pin check connector. Check connector is on right side fenderwell, near fuel filter and Green, 6-pin self-diagnostic connector. See Fig. 2.

NOTE:
ECU constantly checks for malfunction of input devices. However, ECU only checks output devices for 3-second period after ignition is turned on and Green check connector is grounded.

2.Turn ignition switch to ON position. The codes may be read by counting number of pulses of Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). MIL is located under the engine symbol marked CHECK, in center of instrument cluster.

3.The code will be repeated, or other codes will be flashed if more than one is stored. See Fig. 3. If more than one code is stored, codes will be displayed in order of lowest to highest.

2008 Mitchell Repair Information

CC

Last edited by Canadian Cowboy; 08-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Canadian Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 01:02 AM   #5
Jason280

Thanks for the help!
Old 08-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
The Slurpee King

I need to set my printer up so I can print that out. Awesome! Thank-you!

Borderline psychopath exhibiting hermit-like tendencies.

It's not who you know, it's who you tow.
The Slurpee King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Jason280

Quote:
I need to set my printer up so I can print that out. Awesome! Thank-you!
Haha, that's the first thing I did. Now I just need to find the time to actually go out and run the codes on the truck!
Old 08-10-2012, 08:57 PM   #8
Jason280

Ok, I finally had a chance to run the codes today...or at least try. I grounded out the single green plug (beside the larger green plug with 3 wires), but the CEL in the instrument cluster never blinked with the key in the "ON" position. I checked to make sure it was grounded correctly, but nothing happened. It simply stayed lit as is always does, so I am a little stumped. Any suggestions?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Charles (in GA)

I assume this is the Mazda version of the Ford Ranger? correct?

If so, its a standard Ford EEC IV system. Connector is just behind the air filter box on the right side, clipped to the back of the airbox. You can use a multimeter to get the codes, or buy a simple buzzer and light device in the parts places, its a little easier.

Charles
Charles (in GA) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:44 PM   #10
Jason280

Quote:
I assume this is the Mazda version of the Ford Ranger? correct?
No, this is before they started rolling off the same assembly line.