Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
premis

Default In-Line air tool oiler

What are your guy's thoughts on something like this for an in-line oiler? Would it work very well? I would think it would only work if you had a short hose after the oiler. Putting it before a 100 foot reel would probably be pointless, right?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5712_200395712

How do you guys oil your tools?
premis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:01 PM   #2
Skin

Default Re: In-Line air tool oiler

i take a bottle of oil, tilt the tool upside down, and put a few drops in it.
Skin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
KinzeMech

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Consider a tool such as an impact wrench. Most of those are rated for avg consumption of 5-7 scfm @ 90. Average is generally assuming 25% duty cycle, so while the tool is actually running it's consuming 20-32 scfm, all moving through that 3/8" hose. If your concern is the oil falling out of the air, reconsider the velocity with which that air must be moving to get that much air through that small of a hose. I'd need measurements of the actual pressure and flow during operation to calculate that velocity, but off the top of my head, I would imagine it in the hundreds of feet per second. Sufficient to carry a meaningful quantity of oil along with it.

That said, if I had an automatic oiler, I'd still oil my tools manually also. Mine get oiled before they get put away at the end of the day. That way, if they've gotten wet during use, at least they are put away freshly oiled to avoid corrosion.

I read an article a while back on shop air plumbing. It actually recommended manual tool oiling even with an automatic oiler. The comment they made, was that the purpose of the air line oiler, was not to oil the air tools, but the air LINES, which makes sense if your air distribution lines are black iron pipe.

What also may make the difference is where the oiler is installed. At the compressor, prior to the distribution lines, I think would get less oil out to the air tool than an oiler installed at the point where the individual air hose begins.
KinzeMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Broken Tool

Those in line oilers are used heavily in industry. They are placed at the work station with a short hose to the tool. The amount of oil dispensed can be adjusted for the tool being used. They are a great way to extend the life of pneumatic tools requiring regular oiling since they oil the tool every time the tool is activated.

You are correct that it would not be very useful in front of a 100 ft hose. One other thing to remember is any hose that has been used with an oiler should never be used for spray painting.

For home/hobby tools a simple drop or two of pneumatic tool oil before you use the tool for the day is sufficient. An alternative for heavily used tools are the mini in line oilers like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Automatic-In-L.../dp/B002A2WEN2

They aren't adjustable and tend to dispense too much oil in my experience.
Broken Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
LSU

I like the idea of an in-line oiler but . . . my concern is that the oiler isn't working right and the tool might run dry.

I've got some old Campbell air tools. Might be 20+ years old. I don't use them daily but when I do use them, I usually start with a drop or two of oil (I've used everything from 3 in 1 to specfic air tool oil). I've never had a problem. I finish up with a drop or two of oil and then hook the air hose back on and give the tool a spin so the oil is spread around. Sometimes my air tools have set up for a year w/o use and they all still work fine. I've got a 3/8 side ratchet, 1/4" drill and a Lowe's brand 1/2" impact wrench. Not high dollar stuff by any means but stuff I could afford when I bought them. All work fine.

I don't use these tools daily (very often) but I've had no problems with dried seals or gaskets.

I'd recommend the oil at the start and the oil at the end procedure. I did this with a Senco nail gun for about 30 years till it got stolen. Never had a problem. It too would sit up for months and then get used like crazy on a project. Never had a problem.
LSU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
cheechi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Tool View Post
They aren't adjustable and tend to dispense too much oil in my experience.
This is the most relevant info you need. I have one, I use it often. If I'm working on something that will take a lot of time or will be an 'all day' thing then I will probably forget to oil tools throughout the day. Back when I was taught how to take care of air tools, we had about 20 of them throughout the shop and we put them on certain tools (ratchet, sander) that would be used heavily. Some spit oil here and there on short bursts, most it seems to keep them just as nice as if you stop every hour (or whatever it says on the instructions) and put 3 drops in.

Since oil is just as much to protect the insides of the tools from condensation as it is to lubricate them, I also use the oiler as I'm letting air out of the tank to oil the tools to put them away.
I'm left handed so there are a lot of things that just don't seem right to me
Quote:
Originally Posted by LORDDiESEL View Post
Folks at trident take damn good care of customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedwrench View Post
Most of you will never be happy with a tool line produced in Taiwan regardless of how good it is.
cheechi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
RECox286

If you are the only user of your pneumatic tools, then save your money and

the extra hassle of an oiler at the end of a long hose, in favor of a can of

oil and the "hassle" of adding a few drops before the first use of the tool

on a daily basis. I haven't had any problems doing this over the course of

35 years. Further, I have been using some of them for over 35 years, and

there are a few of those that I got second hand. (However, I do

dissassemble, clean, inspect, and lubricate every so often.)

Uncle Bob
RECox286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #8
Chadwilliam1

I have that unit op and I would stay away from it. I will list my complaints tomorrow.
Chadwilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:04 AM   #9
rlitman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RECox286 View Post
save your money and the extra hassle of an oiler at the end of a long hose, in favor of a can of oil and the "hassle" of adding a few drops before the first use of the tool on a daily basis.
That's the best advise for any tool that sees intermittent use (impact guns come to mind first), but I would think that tools that see continuous use (such as a DA sander), could use more frequent oiling than that.
I have 3' long swivel whip hoses on my sanders (and a wet diamond grinder among a few other similarly used tools), with an inline oiler at the end of the whip. I just keep the reservoir filled, run it for a few hours, and then add another teaspoon of oil as needed.
rlitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 07:38 AM   #10
Chadwilliam1

Here is mine

The oiler doesnt conrol the flow very well, if I turn it down it seems to put out as much oil as if its all the way up. Also the regulator leaks but i cant narrow down exactly where unless I take it off the wall.

I plan on replacing it with a Milton brand filter regulator now automatic oiler. The oiler sits empty now. I have a few oil free nailers.
Chadwilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote