Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > General Garage Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-11-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
SprintCC

Default Ceiling decision time

Still planning my garage, but things are starting to come together.

I am trying to determine the ceiling height/door height in relation to a 4 post lift. The plan is the garage will be 30 feet deep. I want a nice looking door (double wide) to match the neighborhood/house, not an industrial roll up.

I know that garage doors/openers can be suspended close to the ceiling, but how close? I was planning on a cathederal ceiling over the lift to give clearance, can garage doors track cathederal ceilings, or must the go entirely horizontal? If they can track the ceilings I don't have a clearance issue.

If the garage doors must go horizontal how high do you recommend the ceiling to be? I'm looking to (idealy here,but I'm a realist) be able to work on the undercarraige of a 66 Mustang Coupe. I'm only 5'7 so I'm looking at putting lift up to 6.5 feet or anything.

If I get a 8 or even 9 foot door, when raised it should only cut into the bay by an equal amount plus door opener right? Or am I missing something? So I could put the lift beyond the door, I should have a full 20 feet at 30 feet deep. Anyone ever do this? Good idea or bad/too cramped?

Anyway basically trying to determine the ceiling height that will give me enough clearance to put a Mustang up on a 4 post lift w/ garage door overheard.

Thanks for your input!

Chris II
Blue Bell Pa
SprintCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #2
mikeyr

Yes, the door can follow your roof. A good installer can follow it within a few inches of the roof. I know people say you have to have a 12ft. celing and I believe it. With a cathedral roof, the roof of your Mustang will go up in that section and you should be fine.

I did my lift in 8 1/2 ft. of ceiling space, luckily I could fold the windshield down on both my cars. I have now removed the joists and made effectively a cathedral ceiling and can put up GMC 3/4 ton with no problem, your Mustang should be easy.

http://www.singercars.com/restoratio...s/finished.jpg
mikeyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-12-2005, 08:04 AM   #3
sca037

Chris,

We specified 8'9" x 16' standard insulated sectional doors and a 10'11" garage ceiling height. We can run a street car all the way to the top of our 2-post lift with maybe 3 inches to spare. Raising a taller vehicle might require that an external limit switch be installed at the ceiling, but your classic 'Stang should be no problem. Our openers and garage door tracks are suspended about 15 inches from the ceiling, but like Mike mentioned there are other options out there so do some more homework and decide what's best for your needs.
My advice is to go big in terms of door & ceiling height, because the only regret you'll ever have is NOT doing it when you had the chance

Brian
sca037 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:03 PM   #4
logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintCC
Still planning my garage, but things are starting to come together.

I am trying to determine the ceiling height/door height in relation to a 4 post lift. The plan is the garage will be 30 feet deep. I want a nice looking door (double wide) to match the neighborhood/house, not an industrial roll up.

I know that garage doors/openers can be suspended close to the ceiling, but how close? I was planning on a cathederal ceiling over the lift to give clearance, can garage doors track cathederal ceilings, or must the go entirely horizontal? If they can track the ceilings I don't have a clearance issue.

If the garage doors must go horizontal how high do you recommend the ceiling to be? I'm looking to (idealy here,but I'm a realist) be able to work on the undercarraige of a 66 Mustang Coupe. I'm only 5'7 so I'm looking at putting lift up to 6.5 feet or anything.

If I get a 8 or even 9 foot door, when raised it should only cut into the bay by an equal amount plus door opener right? Or am I missing something? So I could put the lift beyond the door, I should have a full 20 feet at 30 feet deep. Anyone ever do this? Good idea or bad/too cramped?

Anyway basically trying to determine the ceiling height that will give me enough clearance to put a Mustang up on a 4 post lift w/ garage door overheard.

Thanks for your input!

Chris II
Blue Bell Pa
If you go with a hich-lift track the door follows the wall for the first few feet...so an 8' door will only extend maybe 6 feet in depth....less if it follows the sloped ceiling. I wonder though exactly what that ceiling will look like with sissor trusses.....which way do they run ?
logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2005, 12:28 PM   #5
afwrench

This is what I did ,soory no pics. I have 3 bays,Two are under roof trusses, attic type for storage. The last bay I framed with rafters14 feet at the peak. Ihave 3 doors, the door to the bay with the lift I installed as normal but I angle cut the top tracks to follow the slope of the roof , used an hand held grinder. I put 2 springs on each side and adjusted them so the door is held just under half way open. Push it down and the door locks hold it shut , push it up and slip a 3/8 pin in a drilled hole on each side to hold it open , works fine . When Im really old compared to now I may hook up an electric opener.
afwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:38 PM   #6
rwhite692

Default Re: Ceiling decision time

I had a lot of the same concerns...Here's a thread on the construction of my 24x36, if that helps...

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=16310
rwhite692 is offline   Reply With Quote