Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-05-2012, 11:46 AM   #1
MacmanSW20

Default Homak 41" Toolbox

Just wondering if anyone has any comments on quality with Homak toolboxes. I saw this one locally at costco on for $699 CDN. It comes with the bottom top and side chest pictured below:

Any quality comments or reviews would be appreciated, it will be my first toolbox, and unfortunately there are no harbour freights around. Also I could not identify the model of the box from the Homak site so any help on that would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Evan
MacmanSW20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
MacmanSW20

Default Re: Homak 41" Toolbox

No reviews or quality concerns opinions or anything? Would it be a good starter box? Is the price fair?
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-06-2012, 10:54 PM   #3
shoturtle

Homak makes good boxes. They sell them at northern tools and other auto part shops. Up there with the HF box, and depending on your needs the layout with the deeper drawers may work for you. If you are more into hand tools, something along the lines of the HF out would be a little bit better suited for smaller tools.

Last edited by shoturtle; 09-06-2012 at 10:58 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
MacmanSW20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Homak makes good boxes. They sell them at northern tools and other auto part shops. Up there with the HF box, and depending on you needs the layout with the deeper drawers may work for you. If you are more into hand tools, something along the lines of the HF out would be a little bit better suited for smaller tools.
Yeah to be honest I wanted to get a HF box, but there aren't any HFs close to me. Perhaps I will wait it out and plan a trip down to the US to pick one up.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #5
dandan111

I have no experience with them but I like the looks of that a lot. Homak is a great brand.
I bet it's as good or better than the new craftsmans.
dandan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
shoturtle

Hope you have a larger truck, to bring the top, bottom and side for the HF 44, you will pack a full size pickup. Not sure if customs charge you for bring that much stuff across the boarder. Not like you can keep it out of site.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
MacmanSW20

Yeah would get hit with tax on it. I have a Ford Raptor so would have to pack it in the bed haha.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #8
shoturtle

While the HF might be better layout for your needs. You are going to paying a pretty penny in taxes at the boarder. Only good thing is Canadian customs seems to be a bit nicer then US customs.

So you might want to factor that into your budget plan with fuel and taxes at the boarder and taxes of the state you are buying it form.
Old 09-06-2012, 11:36 PM   #9
MacmanSW20

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
While the HF might be better layout for your needs. You are going to paying a pretty penny in taxes at the boarder. Only good thing is Canadian customs seems to be a bit nicer then US customs.

So you might want to factor that into your budget plan with fuel and taxes at the boarder and taxes of the state you are buying it form.
Yeah I agree, Alberta has a 5% sales tax, so its not too bad... but it would only be worth while if I was making a trip out of it, not so much just going to get the box. I do think that 699 is a pretty fair price on this box though will go look at it again tomorrow and try to see how good of a build quality it is.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM   #10
Chadwilliam1

that looks like a real some deal.
Chadwilliam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #11
MacmanSW20

Just checked it out again today with a closer inspection, the drawers feel much more sturdy than many of the others I have seen, the bigger drawers have double sliders on each side and the casters look pretty good. It is the Homak professional line and I think it is the best deal I will find. They also have a smaller one on for 399 top and bottom but it is just the 26" version. Once my truck arrives I think I will go pick it up!
Old 09-07-2012, 12:41 PM   #12
Mr Ratchet

It's a heck of a lot nicer box than my first one. Price seems pretty decent and if you take care of it, you should get most of your $ back if you decide to upgrade down the road.

Is it only shelves on the inside of the side cabinet? You might be able to get some add on drawers to go in there if you need more drawer space.
Mr Ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:13 PM   #13
DARKSCOPE001

the retail shop i used to work at started carying homak. they are nice boxes for the money. you could do alot worse (craftsman cough cough) but i didnt get one because i wasnt thrilled about the lack of double slides on the top drawer and the bottom two drawers. and i found a box i liked better that was almost identical. With double slides for less. but would be an ok box. i was just worried about how much those top slides will be able to handle.
DARKSCOPE001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #14
79Cherokee

There was a thread a while back about a blue Homak box at Costco. See here: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=150486

I ended up buying this one in Phoenix where the price was $489 and I think it was a great value. The only thing I don't really like are the drawer detents which feel kind of spongy when closing the drawers. I'm hoping that it will change over time. The newer red one looks nice with the side cabinet but the drawers aren't as wide which may be a limitation. In my opinion, the Homak boxes are just as nice as the HF boxes. They both have that made in China smell. You can't go wrong with buying something from Costco with that awesome return policy.
79Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #15
allinon72

That deep drawer in the top box is very odd.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:34 PM   #16
PT Doc

You want lots of little drawers?
PT Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #17
allinon72

I prefer full width drawers of varying sizes. But it's very odd, and not very useful, to have a deep drawer up top like that.
Old 09-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #18
OutLore

I have a Homak 41" H2Pro top box as pictured (but in black) and it's a pretty good box... has 1.5mm steel for the body and 1.2mm for the drawers.
I find the large drawer pretty useful - I keep all my "safety" stuff in there (gloves, glasses/goggles etc.)
The larger bottom drawers have 2 runners, the others have 1.

I don't know what the exchange rate is USD to CDN, but mine was $450US, but I had a $50 off from Northern Tool, so it was originally $500, and was the top box only...
OutLore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:44 PM   #19
littletoes

I have a Homak 41" top and bottom boxes, and to be perfectly honest, they are rather tinny.

If I could opt for a box that had a few more full length drawers, I could get more "like" tools together.

The side cabinet, for a homeowner would be perfectly useless.

On the job, I might need a place to hang my coat, but NOT at home. Sure you could hang your welding coat in there, with the helmet, but that's a lot of wasted space, for such.

Just my opinion, and we all have different needs/wants.

I just wish Homak would at least come up with a couple drawer mid box that were full length...that would make my box much more useful for me.
littletoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:48 PM   #20
MacmanSW20

Quote:
Originally Posted by littletoes View Post
I have a Homak 41" top and bottom boxes, and to be perfectly honest, they are rather tinny.

If I could opt for a box that had a few more full length drawers, I could get more "like" tools together.

The side cabinet, for a homeowner would be perfectly useless.

On the job, I might need a place to hang my coat, but NOT at home. Sure you could hang your welding coat in there, with the helmet, but that's a lot of wasted space, for such.

Just my opinion, and we all have different needs/wants.

I just wish Homak would at least come up with a couple drawer mid box that were full length...that would make my box much more useful for me.
Yeah your right, the drawer layout is a bit strange, but the quality compared to most in the price range around here is quite a bit better. The side cabinet isn't really useful, I suppose I can put the shelves in it and put little boxes with bolts etc but aside from that I am not sure what I would use it for.