Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Tools > General Tool Discussion

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2012, 05:26 AM   #1
cmandp

Default 1940's Companion drill press help

I have a Companion 101.03520 table top drill press in need of some work.

It is very similar to this one I found on vintage machinery...
http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind....aspx?id=11200

The problem is that the spindle (and maybe the quill in the head too) has noticeable movement when you grab the chuck and push it back and forth. I can see one bearing just above the chuck arbor that I assume to be at least partly at fault.

My questions are...

What parts can cause this play in the spindle?

Also could someone either describe or point me toward a thread that shows how to take this thing apart? I have an idea, I just don't want any surprises.

Am I correct in thinking the quill has a No.1 Morse taper for the chuck arbor? I ordered some Jacobs chuck removal wedges which I presume are about the only way to separate the taper. As far as I can tell this press does not have the original chuck, on it now is a #33B Jacobs chuck and what looks to be a self made arbor. I can get pictures if it helps you guys.

Any help appreciated.
cmandp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #2
amguttin

Default Re: 1940's Companion drill press help

its most likely bad bearings or there might be a bushing missing in between the quill and sleeve
amguttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
RCStocker

As a part time machinery dealer I would not mess with it unless you really rer into restoring old machinery. You might need to have bushings truned to match the quill. If you don't have a lathe it will cost a bundle. I am sure you will be able to find a berring.
Drill presses are so cheap I would scrap it out and move on. It will never be worth what you will put into the press.

Every time I go buy out a shop or machine I take my indicators and volt meter. I chedk everthing for runout and voltage. If things are not tight I pass it up unless it is dirt cheap and I can use the parts.
RCStocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:02 PM   #4
cmandp

Thanks for the input so far. I do want to try and fix the play or at least make it less severe. I do want to get a heavier duty drill press with more speeds that would be more conducive to drilling metals and larger holes. This press was passed down in the family so I don't think my dad and I can just get rid of it.

Here are some pictures.
The press

The chuck

The arbor and spindle

Any thoughts on separating the chuck arbor taper? Also you can see the chuck says "THD 5/8 - 16", does that mean the arbor is threaded into the chuck?
Old 09-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Outlawmws

your press appears to be 1939 +-.

These appear to be the specs for that press, and it is supposed to have one roller bearing at the spindle, and bronze bushings elsewhere.

It should not be that difficult to get a bearing to replace the one on the spindle. the bushings may or may not need replacing as they don't get the punishment that the main lower bearing gets.

That's not a bad little press, and certainly better than an import once any bearing wear issues are resolved.

Is he model No. on it, and does it have a 101 prefix? If so, it's an Atlas built Press.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg companion.jpg (23.8 KB, 327 views)

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Outlaw's Garage sale - Feedback

"It might be for sale or trade, it never hurts to ask..."
Outlawmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
WWIIjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmandp View Post
This press was passed down in the family so I don't think my dad and I can just get rid of it.
Absolutely the best reason for restoring and using it.

Restored, that old Companion will drill circles around most of the similarly-sized Asian import drill presses available today.

Quote:
Any thoughts on separating the chuck arbor taper? Also you can see the chuck says "THD 5/8 - 16", does that mean the arbor is threaded into the chuck?
Yes. The Jacobs 33B is a threaded-arbor chuck. The chuck should probably thread on at the bottom of the part where you have the arrow on top of it in your photos.
WWIIjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
cmandp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawmws View Post
Is he model No. on it, and does it have a 101 prefix? If so, it's an Atlas built Press.
Yes the model number is 101.03520. This is only a four speed press, unlike the specs you posted.

Thank you Outlawmws and WWIIjeep for the info.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #8
Outlawmws

Quote:
Yes the model number is 101.03520. This is only a four speed press, unlike the specs you posted.

Thank you Outlawmws and WWIIjeep for the info.
It's only a "7 speed" technically; you have to mess with the motor up and down, or run the belt out of line to get to the 7 speeds, it has 4 pulley sheaves at each end...

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Outlaw's Garage Sale - For sale or trade... Last Update w/new items 8/21/2012 - P9, (More auto books)

Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #9
thebeekeeper1

I bought one of those a couple of years ago at a pawn shop ($39 OTD). The only thing about mine is a third pulley was added in between the original two which slows it down enough to be useful for drilling in metal. As cobbled as it is, it was well done, and works well.
thebeekeeper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:30 AM   #10
Outlawmws

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeekeeper1 View Post
I bought one of those a couple of years ago at a pawn shop ($39 OTD). The only thing about mine is a third pulley was added in between the original two which slows it down enough to be useful for drilling in metal. As cobbled as it is, it was well done, and works well.
Post a pic of your third pulley setup That was a separate factory option for these.

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
cmandp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawmws View Post
It's only a "7 speed" technically; you have to mess with the motor up and down, or run the belt out of line to get to the 7 speeds, it has 4 pulley sheaves at each end...
Interesting, I didn't know that. Although practically I'd imagine adjusting the motor height and getting the pulleys lined up would be a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebeekeeper1 View Post
Yes, please post a picture of your pulleys.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 AM   #12
thebeekeeper1

I found a pic I had posted when I bought it on another site:

Old 09-12-2012, 01:06 AM   #13
Outlawmws

Yep that appears to be the factory third pulley setup, or a close facsimile.

Its' basically a pulley on a post attached to an eccentric hub that fits inside the column tube, there should be a set screw that expands the hub to keep it in place once the spindle belt is adjusted the the motor belt is adjusted.

Here is the ad from '39 for the part:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 39 3 wheel.jpg (88.7 KB, 273 views)

Outlaw's Shed Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:59 PM   #14
thebeekeeper1

Ah, thanks. I'm glad to know it is factory original. It needs a new chuck, but other than that is in amazingly good shape. I've drilled a few holes in steel with it and it does run nicely, so I am pleased for $40.

Edit: In case anyone notices, I did adjust the motor mount to align the rear belt properly after that pic was taken.
Old 09-30-2012, 11:30 PM   #15
Cabbie

I just got the 101.03521 free at a swap meet cause no one would pay $10 for it. I wanted the cabinet that it was mounted to, and the guy left it for garbage at the end of the swap meet. I got it home, and found that someone scabbed a power cord to it, and thats why it didnt work. After looking at some pictures it looks like some one made a drill stop attachement, which I will keep as it looks to be a great addition. It seems that Im missing the the third pulley set up, and the spindle condom. I am in the middle of tearing it down and restoring it to sell for a few bucks. I will post pictures when I get done putting it back together.

The chuck is threaded on the spindle, and I have a fiber washer between the bearing and main housing. It does have 2 brass bushings in the top and bottom part of the housing, which seem to be tight on mine. It seems that new bushings could easily be pressed in to take up the slack.

Thanks,
Dan
Cabbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:08 AM   #16
jtbinvalrico

OP, where are you at on the DP? I'm hoping to read about some restored-been-in-the-family-for-a-while iron.
jtbinvalrico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:04 AM   #17
cmandp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbinvalrico View Post
OP, where are you at on the DP? I'm hoping to read about some restored-been-in-the-family-for-a-while iron.
I took the quill out and cleaned all the old gunk off of it and where it rides in the head, then relubed it. I was able to adjust the collar on the upper part of the quill that (I assume) holds a bushing. Doing that removed some play in the quill, but I confirmed that most of the play is between the head and the quill.

I was wondering how I could match up a new bearing? This one has the number 4956 on it. Some quick google searches seem to bring up all types and sizes of bearings with that number.
Old 10-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #18
Cabbie

When you pulled the spindle out, did you have 2 drill stops on there? I pulled mine apart for paint, and now cant remember where those two stops go. Anyone have a drawing for assembly?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #19
Cabbie

Here are a few shots of my 99% finished DP. I am afraid of killing the original motor by taking it apart, so it will stay in the rough state. I still need to get a new belt, and paint the letters on the head piece. The last picture shows the 1940's Walker Turner DP that I restored a few years back. Now the question is which one should I get rid of, and how much?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMAG0554.jpg (144.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0555.jpg (144.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20121016_224139.jpg (146.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMAG0574.jpg (141.3 KB, 30 views)
Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #20
Outlawmws

Which one is the better DP?

Quill stroke, chuck size, distance from center of the chuck of the post, # of speeds...

Walker made a good DP, but if the Craftsman beats it in areas that matter to you...

Outlaw's Shed Thread