Welcome to the The Garage Journal Board forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   The Garage Journal Board > The Garage > Garage Gallery

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-10-2012, 11:59 PM   #1
GuerrillaCycles

Default The Green Barn - Recycled 48' x 60' Pole Barn

After lurking here for years, I thought it time to share my adventure. Instead of a high dollar garage-mahal, we will take a decidedly different tactic. Although I love reading those build threads, and gawking at the wonders others acheive, I know there is a crowd here for all kinds of builds. The following is the story of doing what they say can't be done. Grab a drink and pull up a chair, this could get interesting...

To jump right in... I began restoring motorcycles (among other projects) in my father-in-law's garage when my wife and I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment.

Moved up to a 2-car garage, where the wife never got to park inside. After 6 years of that, she decided it was time to move somewhere with a workshop for my projects, and a garage for .... wait for it.... parking.

So after we sold the starter house, and moved into a rental while we looked for a new homestead with workshop that we could actually afford (not an easy task in our area), I rented some warehouse space for a temporary workshop. This was where I spent the next 12 months.

More to come...

Last edited by GuerrillaCycles; 05-14-2013 at 09:45 PM.
GuerrillaCycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:26 AM   #2
GuerrillaCycles

Default Re: The Green Barn - Recycled 48' x 60' Pole Barn

After 18 months of house hunting, we realized we just couldn't afford a home with a shop in our area. We eventually settled on a 3 bedroom fixer-upper with 5 acres in a prime location. While we rehabbed the house to make it livable, the shop would have to wait a few more years. But we finally had somewhere for the shop to go.

When me moved in, the area pictured below was covered from the driveway to about 15 feet from the fence in junk. The po had collected random materials from job sites and stockpiled them there, never tending to the lawn, or using any of his collection. It took a month and a 30yd dumpster to remove all of the debris and make the yard mowable. This shot was taken 2 years after the clean up, with various items of mine and others stored about, awaiting a new home.

This would be the space for the new shop.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #3
GuerrillaCycles

So while I'm trying to figure out how to build a shop on a shoe-string budget I'm browsing CL one day, and I find what is either the best deal or the worst deal ever. A storage lot about 20 miles away has a 48x60x16 Morten building that's cramping their style. I had to call in my wife, then one of my brother's to confirm my sanity. After a few long conversations with my brother (also a GJ member) to confirm his willingness to participate in this nonsense, we decided to go for it. I called the owner and talked him down from $2500 to $1500, the difference I would spend on a heavy duty trailer to haul the parts on.

The plan will be to buy the building from the current owner, take it down piece by piece, move it to my property and re-assemble. Oh... one more hiccup, the owner needs it moved in 2 weeks so his construction crew can begin on a new environmentally controlled storage building. Can't be too difficult right?

Here we are on Day 1, rolling up with tools, trailer, scaffolding, and a whole lot of motivation.

Interior shot with the previous tenants' trailer still present.

Old 09-11-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Flatland Dave

Cool! Keep the story and pics coming!

Life in the Vast Lane.....
Flatland Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:39 AM   #5
K2sno311

You are a brave man for starting with a building already up and taking it apart!! Mortens are well manufactured tho, so it sounds like you made a "sane" choice

Best of luck to the continuing adventure!! keep us posted
K2sno311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #6
speadphreak

Cool find! I think youre going to need a bigger trailer for those trusses. If you get a chance could you take some pictures of the poles? They look like laminated 2x boards treated sections at the bottom.
speadphreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #7
m_hatcher

Subscribed! I already like where this one is going

Looking for old style HH Snap-on stubby screwdrivers in every color except green and orange. If you have some to trade or sell just PM me.
m_hatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
criby1

Subscribed,, This is going to be huge keep the pics and info coming on this one guys & gals
I Like some one who has a vision and big OO to give a project like this a go
criby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:04 AM   #9
FrankTheTank88

I thought about doing the same thing.... guy offered me a 40x60 with 16ft celings for 6,000.... he told me the amish could come in and do it if i didnt want to do it... where im going from here is how they do it. All they do it cut the barn at the gound to make it shorter.. goin from 16ft to 12 ft celings still is great, and that gives u the option to cut off damaged metal. Just a thought for since i looked into the same thing
FrankTheTank88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
KULIWOBBY

Subscribed also.
KULIWOBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:23 AM   #11
graffix000

Good luck. Going to need quite a bit bigger trailer then that!!
graffix000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #12
fergus

Ummm.... WOW. Quite an undertaking. Also, this score deserves a "you suck". You are a brave man. I thought I was the only guy adventurous (re: insane) enough to try to pull things off like this. Sub'd.
fergus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 12:38 AM   #13
GuerrillaCycles

I've been lacking in time to post, due to working on the barn, but I'm going to try to catch you guys up to the current status over the next few nights. Lots of pictures coming.

Once we got into the building, we took a lot of pictures to document the existing construction, so we might have a chance of putting it back together right.

Old 10-24-2012, 12:49 AM   #14
GuerrillaCycles

Next step was to pull out all the electrical. I kept all of the hardware and conduit, but I gave all the short runs of wire to a local scrapper that kept driving by eying what was going on. I also offered him the commercial steel man doors, as they were thoroughly trashed.

This thing is tall in side, so we need some serious equipment to get up and get to work.

The next big problem was, how the hell do we take it apart? The metal was attached with "pole barn nails", which are basically big ring shank nails with a sealing washer. These things don't pull out, not for anything. We tried every option, and what we found was the only way to get it apart was to use reciprocating saws and cut all the nails from the inside.

It's gonna take A LOT of blades, but it works!!!

Old 10-24-2012, 12:52 AM   #15
GuerrillaCycles

And once you break the seal..... You just keep going.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
GuerrillaCycles

The sliding doors which measure 11'w x 16'h each, presented an interesting problem. I was trying to take things apart only as far as necessary to move them, to reduce the amount of re-assembly, and repair required.

We carefully pulled them down using the scissor lift:

And built a rig on the trailer to carry them home in one piece.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:05 AM   #17
GuerrillaCycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by speadphreak View Post
Cool find! I think youre going to need a bigger trailer for those trusses. If you get a chance could you take some pictures of the poles? They look like laminated 2x boards treated sections at the bottom.
Spead, yeah, they are laminated 2x6's, treated on the sections that went into the ground.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:07 AM   #18
Modern Jess
Alliance Member

Awesome. It's a reverse build!

Subscribed.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:53 AM   #19
Big-Foot

Wow now THAT is one heckuva project! Looking forward to watching this one... And your future bike builds!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:08 AM   #20
Dragster Racer

This is way cool.
Dragster Racer is offline   Reply With Quote